• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

Kathanan

So.. i have tried to translate the runes and i think they say something like this:
Hail, Day, Journey, Birch, Aurochs, one of the gods

Lul what? There are only 2 PSP titles, 3 numbered ones and Ascension. There is the mobile GOW everyone forgets about which is God Of war Betrayal and it is totally canon. You should play it.

Storywise here is the order of the 7 God Of War games:

- God Of War: Ascension
- God Of War: Chains of Olympus
- God of War
- God Of War: Betrayal
- God Of War:Ghost of Sparta
- God of War II
- God of War III

And now:

God øf War

Betrayal is canon? When was this confirmed?

Loudninja

For the record, we have not been rated by the ESRB. The ESRB logo on our footer at godofwar.com was representative of God of War III because our website is technically a franchise site. That footer logo has since been updated to ESRB RP.

Thanks! =)
Thanks.

Nice new avatar btw.

Sony published AO game, lez get it

I don't even know what they could do to get it up to an A/O rating based on what we know. There's no sex minigame so graphic sex scenes are unlikely, and you can pretty much get as gory as you want in a fantasy setting and it doesn't seem to tick the ESRB up to A/O.

Y'know, I've never been -horribly- interested in God of War, but the trailer made me feel that they're actually trying to give Kratos a pretty neat arc. I'll have to play the GoW trilogy now.

The fact that Cory acknowledged it as part of the "7 games in the Greek Pantheon" pretty much means it's canon.

Also, it's written by the GoW writer, so it's not some like it was written without context of the GoW lore writer.

giphy.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Y'know, I've never been -horribly- interested in God of War, but the trailer made me feel that they're actually trying to give Kratos a pretty neat arc. I'll have to play the GoW trilogy now.

THat's what i like about it. They could have easily done a reboot, but Kratos mellowing out finally and being shown as sympathetic character has been like waiting for the shoe to drop since god of war 1. Every time you think the guy learned, he would just ram his head into a wall again.

This time he actually has finally figured out how to be a(relatively) stable human being who doesn't automatically go to violence for every solution. I don't expect to see innocent people running around in fear with Kratos mowing through them with no mercy to get to his objective like the old games either.

Corpsepyre

Banned
We need to now share our own studio's reaction to your reactions, this video is win to the max. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, we missed you guys.

Do eeeeeet. We need to see SSM's reactions to the reveal itself and to other reactions. Film them. :p

jett

D-Member
For the record, we have not been rated by the ESRB. The ESRB logo on our footer at godofwar.com was representative of God of War III because our website is technically a franchise site. That footer logo has since been updated to ESRB RP.

Thanks! =)

Yeah this makes much more sense.

I don't even know what they could do to get it up to an A/O rating based on what we know. There's no sex minigame so graphic sex scenes are unlikely, and you can pretty much get as gory as you want in a fantasy setting and it doesn't seem to tick the ESRB up to A/O.

Who the hell said there's no sex minigame at all?

#notmygodofwar

Rymuth

Don't skip out on Ghost of Sparta. It's pretty cool, actually.

Ascencion is the only one that's painfully middling.

New article on the many speculations. It's a really good read.

Norse mythology holds the answers to all your God of War questions

Nah, I think Kratos's kid is straight up Thor. In Norse mythology Thor "is generally described as fierce-eyed, red-haired..."
Matches up with the kid perfectly with his piercing blue eyes and red hair. Also explains why Barlog and SSM don't want to reveal the name of the kid yet, or his mother. Because they are names people will recognise. I do not think they will turn out to be vague characters from the mythos.

Also, "In Norse mythology, Thor is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, the protection of mankind". Where could he have gotten these thunder and lightning powers? Grandpa Zeus of course, his direct lineage.

bunkitz

New article on the many speculations. It's a really good read.

Norse mythology holds the answers to all your God of War questions

Great read. Thanks for sharing!

I think this really rules out Thor and Odin. I'd prefer that to be the case as, as said in the article, they're both used a little too much already. Odin as the antagonist, on the other hand, would be really interesting. This is the "pre-migration" era as Cory said, and that would be a good fit. Ullr is also still the strongest contender for the son's identity to me. It just makes perfect sense.

From an article that was linked in the above article:
Jeet Shroff said:
As the game progresses you can expect to see the son fighting toe to toe with Kratos taking out enemies on his own

Sounds like the son is going to be a lot more capable than I expected. Huh. I mean, I knew he was going to be able to divide the battlefield and help Kratos control the crowd, etc. but to say that he'll be "fighting toe to toe with Kratos" is surprising.

"Just remember, when the time comes son... stop hitting circle".

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...sive-even-gods-cry-music-video-and-interview/

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/The_Turtlenecks:Even_Gods_Cry

Sometimes I feel that life's a game
And I'm a character being played
With multiple levels, power-ups
And unlockable Easter Eggs
If I should come across you
And kill you 'til you're dead
Please don't take it personally
It's just, there's a circle above your head

Shin-Ra

God Of War may have previous scenes from previous episodes recreated in the new game engine with new gameplay and camera: http://wccftech.com/god-war-produce...es-previous-games-recreated-new-camera-angle/
Surely as memory parts, or flashbacks or tales about Kratos' past to his son.
The interviewer asks a leading question and Cory just politely agrees that would be an interesting idea.

https://youtu.be/9D8It-rJoPc?t=5m

I doubt SMS want to spend much time updating old sequences, especially playable Titan bosses or anything like that.

The interviewer asks a leading question and Cory just politely agrees that would be an interesting idea.

https://youtu.be/9D8It-rJoPc?t=5m

I doubt SMS want to spend much time updating old sequences, especially playable Titan bosses or anything like that.

That is the way Cory always answers, trying ot not spoil the game. I am almost sure we will play some scenes in Kratos' past, maybe scenes we never played before and that are crucial to the the story of this new game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
That is the way Cory always answers, trying ot not spoil the game. I am almost sure we will play some scenes in Kratos' past, maybe scenes we never played before and that are crucial to the the story of this new game.

Cory mentioned that the entire game is an uninterrupted single scene, with no cutscenes of any sort, so I wonder how we would play those parts from the older games. Will take some really neat Inarritu Wizardy to transition seamlessly like that.

Corpsepyre

Banned
davidscottjaffe ‏@davidscottjaffe Aug 3
Thx4tour+the chance to play God Of War today @corybarlog @StudstillS @derek_omni !!! Combat is FANTASTIC& game looks like a painting!:)

davidscottjaffe ‏@davidscottjaffe 12h12 hours ago
On my visit to @SonySantaMonica yesterday I was reunited w/the very 1st piece of concept art for GOD OF WAR tha tCaptured the sense of high adventure I wanted4the series. Hadn't seen it in over a decade. Moved me2tears, like seeing an old,dear friend.

Co9lWICVYAAqI6I.jpg:large

davidscottjaffe ‏@davidscottjaffe Aug 3
Thx4tour+the chance to play God Of War today @corybarlog @StudstillS @derek_omni !!! Combat is FANTASTIC& game looks like a painting!:)

davidscottjaffe ‏@davidscottjaffe 12h12 hours ago
On my visit to @SonySantaMonica yesterday I was reunited w/the very 1st piece of concept art for GOD OF WAR tha tCaptured the sense of high adventure I wanted4the series. Hadn't seen it in over a decade. Moved me2tears, like seeing an old,dear friend.

Co9lWICVYAAqI6I.jpg:large

Wow I didn't know he visited them. So combat is "FANTASTIC" according to him?

200.gif

wait, lost planet 3 guys are writing this game

YESSSS, LP3 was a mediocre game, but it has one of the best narratives in gaming

dracula_x

hm, interesting – http://kotaku.com/5526898/god-of-war-creators-had-different-ideas-on-trilogys-ending-update (article from 2010)

"What David Jaffe talked about doing was — and I'm not sure how it would happen — basically, you destroy Greek mythology and then Norse mythology is right around the corner", Asmussen told GamePro. "That's the next thing that Kratos would go after. It becomes clear at the end that he's going to become this harbinger of death across different mythologies in the world and maybe carry the series on from there."

"Cory Barlog talked about Kratos becoming Death", says Asmussen. "He pretty much becomes the Grim Reaper at the end of the game and his blades become sickles. They're both incredibly good ideas, but you need a director to be passionate about the story and understand it intimately. If I had used Dave or Cory's idea, I wouldn't have been as passionate about it."

^

Series creator David Jaffe doesn't quite agree with Asmussen's comments, offering the following:

18j3qt8oh3abojpg.jpg

Top Bottom