• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

Rymuth

I wonder how differently that scene turns out in the actual game. It says it sets up the whole story moving forward. I swear the kid gets killed and Kratos sacifices himself to go and rescue him from Hel.
It's interesting how the son's name is omitted here. The Thor theories sound even more likely.

Plus, if the mother is a big deal in the story - is she a Goddess? A Valkyrie?

It's interesting how the son's name is omitted here. The Thor theories sound even more likely.

Plus, if the mother is a big deal in the story - is she a Goddess? A Valkyrie?
She must be. Im sure her name is being kept under wraps because it will be obvious who his son is once we know her name.

The Ullr theory sounds plausible as it would give Thor a reason to dislike Kratos.

"According to Barlog, the end of God of War III leads to a series of events that directly tie the stories of past games together to Kratos’ new adventures in Nordic Mythology."

a series of events ehh...so its not as simple as him just moving to Scandinavia some things happened first...interesting

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1...for-a-second-chance-according-to-the-director
Off the top of my head... 1000 years past, the world fell into chaos and the Dark Ages with plagues and shit since there no gods ruling the earthto help man. So Odin up in Asgard set up shop on Earth (Midgard). Kratos is hiding out trying to mind his own business but this fine goddess couldnt resist his beard and slept with him. Then she went back to her man Thor but when she had the kid she knew Thor was guna kill him so she fakes his death and dropped him off on Kratos to save his life. The story Begins when Thor finds out the kid is alive and is Kratos' kid.

I know im probably way off but I love speculating.

MaxHouse

Banned
Off the top of my head... 1000 years past, the world fell into chaos and the Dark Ages with plagues and shit since there no gods ruling the earthto help man. So Odin up in Asgard set up shop on Earth (Midgard). Kratos is hiding out trying to mind his own business but this fine goddess couldnt resist his beard and slept with him. Then she went back to her man Thor but when she had the kid she knew Thor was guna kill him so she fakes his death and dropped him off on Kratos to save his life. The story Begins when Thor finds out the kid is alive and is Kratos' kid.

interesting...Thor going after Kratos..I like it

"According to Barlog, the end of God of War III leads to a series of events that directly tie the stories of past games together to Kratos’ new adventures in Nordic Mythology."

a series of events ehh...so its not as simple as him just moving to Scandinavia some things happened first...interesting

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1...for-a-second-chance-according-to-the-director

I have a feeling that there will be a prologue that sets up the series of events, and the the passage of time will be shown during the opening credits, then the game will begin where the demo takes place.

MaxHouse

Banned
I have a feeling that there will be a prologue that sets up the series of events, and the the passage of time will be shown during the opening credits, then the game will begin where the demo takes place.

is it possible to do that with the "1 shot the whole time/no cuts" thing they are attempting?

MaxHouse

Banned
DwzKyfX.jpg

"After hearing that the God of War E3 demo was littered with Easter eggs, I had to dive in. I'm still hunting, but here's something potentially cool: the doorway runes. There are runes lining both sides of the door to Kratos' house. They seem to be the same three words repeating, which, when translated using the Elder Futhark, they read: V/WE TRAV/WELER ONLI, seemingly meant to read WE TRAVELER ONLY.

What does this imply? It could be a warning, a family statement, a blessing... Perhaps it has something to do with Kratos' state as a drifter from one land to another. Was his wife a vagabond valkyrie? Maybe the phrase is a daily reminder to not make attachments to any place, thing, or even person. After so much loss, I can see this tenuous virtue as something Kratos would really get behind. All this is interpretation though. I'm not extremely familiar with Scandinavian aphorisms or blessings, so...do with this what you will. Thought it was pretty cool though.

I'll be sharing whatever else I find."
http://imgur.com/DwzKyfX

N.Domixis

Banned
So once this mythology is exhausted whats next?

I meant Roman or Egyptian?

I would like Egyptian. Maybe they could sneak in some aliens.

The Hindu mythology would also be intersting, but this religion is still practiced and I don't know how the western audience and Hindu practitioners would take it.

MaxHouse

Banned
So once this mythology is exhausted whats next?

Greek or Egyptian?

I would like Egyptian. Maybe they could sneak in some aliens.

well Kratos pretty much destoryed all of Greek mythology

Egyptian mythology seems too close to Greek Mythology in terms of timeline

Norse Mythology is quite distant and different to them.....

DwzKyfX.jpg

"After hearing that the God of War E3 demo was littered with Easter eggs, I had to dive in. I'm still hunting, but here's something potentially cool: the doorway runes. There are runes lining both sides of the door to Kratos' house. They seem to be the same three words repeating, which, when translated using the Elder Futhark, they read: V/WE TRAV/WELER ONLI, seemingly meant to read WE TRAVELER ONLY.

What does this imply? It could be a warning, a family statement, a blessing... Perhaps it has something to do with Kratos' state as a drifter from one land to another. Was his wife a vagabond valkyrie? Maybe the phrase is a daily reminder to not make attachments to any place, thing, or even person. After so much loss, I can see this tenuous virtue as something Kratos would really get behind. All this is interpretation though. I'm not extremely familiar with Scandinavian aphorisms or blessings, so...do with this what you will. Thought it was pretty cool though.

I'll be sharing whatever else I find."
http://imgur.com/DwzKyfX
Nice find. Maybe it is a reminder to Kratos he is a visitor only and not to go fuck shit up again

karasu

Too bad he'll have a kid tagging along with him throughout the game. Kids are awesome in real life, but I find that they're usually the worst part of fiction.

Loudninja

Cool
GamesBeat: What stage of the game are we seeing here? What would we know at this time?

Barlog: It’s the beginning of the game. The events that transpire here are very specific to the demo. What actually happens on that hunt is very different. It sets up the call to action and the remainder of the story. But we wanted to tell a complete story in this demo, to have a beginning and a middle and an end, so you could see the development of the kid. By the end, Kratos’s influence has changed him.
GamesBeat: The graphical user interface had a set of three icons we didn’t see in the original trailer. We saw an axe, a bow, and another one that wasn’t clear. What do those represent?

Cory Barlog: Those are the stand-ins we’re using at the moment. They’re filling in the idea of having specials. This game has an element of specials. I’m playing around how that may be connected with the possibility of swapping out different styles. On the axe, you see the lines there. All this is our structure for upgrading and being able to outfit Kratos and customize his fighting style to your own specifications.
GamesBeat: Are there going to be different weapons beyond just the axe?

Barlog: Maybe? We’re going to be talking more about that later on.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

Bio

well Kratos pretty much destoryed all of Greek mythology

Egyptian mythology seems too close to Greek Mythology in terms of timeline

Norse Mythology is quite distant and different to them.....

After a long hybernation Kratos will take on his greatest enemy, Xenu

Corpsepyre

Banned
Is this the start of a new trilogy? Or will this be a one-off?

It'll be interesting if this is a single game. God of War. That's it. Cory seems like he really wants to tell this story and has been for a while. Could be that he moves on after this, provided it really is a singular story.

Tonky

It'll be interesting if this is a single game. God of War. That's it. Cory seems like he really wants to tell this story and has been for a while. Could be that he moves on after this, provided it really is a singular story.
I would be 100% OK with that. SSM needs to try out a new IP after this, they've been making GOW games for over a decade.

I would be 100% OK with that. SSM needs to try out a new IP after this, they've been making GOW games for over a decade.
It's kinda cool if we had a whole trilogy for norse mythology though. 1 game is not enough, think back on gow1, even zeus and poseidon is not in the story. I feel only 1 game on norse will feel rushed / not satisfying enough, I'm not even sure we got to ragnarok from just 1 game.

Tonky

It's kinda cool if we had a whole trilogy for norse mythology though. 1 game is not enough, think back on gow1, even zeus and poseidon is not in the story. I feel only 1 game on norse will feel rushed / not satisfying enough, I'm not even sure we got to ragnarok from just 1 game.
I don't think this game will be about Kratos killing all of the Norse gods, he already did that with the Greek gods. This game is trying to bring him back to humanity with his son, and will probably end the series on a lighter note.

Elfstruck

They tried to make a new IP with Stig, but it didn't work out. Apparently, they spent a lot of money on that new IP so we won't see SSM takes on another new IP anytime soon.

I don't think this game will be about Kratos killing all of the Norse gods, he already did that with the Greek gods. This game is trying to bring him back to humanity with his son, and will probably end the series on a lighter note.
I also didn't want Kratos to destroy Norse gods, but I fully expect him to die a heroic death and set up the kid as the new hero for the sequel

Rewatched the gameplay trailer. Not sure why I originally thought the fights were scripted, he clearly throws his axe by his own volition. Which then renders him weaponless and he chooses not to retrieve it so that's why he bare fists the enemy.

I really hope this game has lots of weapons, that would be awesome with the new slower, soulsy combat.

Top Bottom