• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

That sign says, according to a lot of Googling:

ENDRBVA

"ENDR" is "again", or "formally".
"BVA" I can't find, but I think I can see another letter beyond the "A".

The only BVA I can find seems to be something to do with a blood drink, but I can only find it in one instance. Although "Bva" is Hebrew for "bow".

EDIT:

BUA is "To Live". V and U can vary according to dialect.

So "TO LIVE AGAIN".

Great find. Thanks.

MaxHouse

Banned
Wikipedia

8th-11th centuries....

so this has to be at least thousands of years after the events of 3....Cory did say they can't say how many years after GOW 3 it is yet.....

I think IGN also said a "series of events" happens between 3 and the start of this game...so maybe their will be a recap in the beginning

It could also be that Freya seduced/brought Kratos to Valhalla which would be an interesting turn. As she also picked fallen warriors from the battlefield for her hall, maybe to sprite Odin?

Though to be fair the developers can play free and easy with the mythology I just hope they come up with something interesting.

Well, Odin is the one who predicts that Ragnarök is going to happen, and he knows what ill happen afterwards. That said, he knows his fate and the fate of his sons and other gods. I suppose this is when Kratos comes into play.

It would be a nice twist if Kratos wouldn't pursuit his classic "kill all gods and let the one left sort 'em out" revenge mode.

MaxHouse

Banned
Well, Odin is the one who predicts that Ragnarök is going to happen, and he knows what ill happen afterwards. That said, he knows his fate and the fate of his sons and other gods. I suppose this is when Kratos comes into play.

It would be a nice twist if Kratos wouldn't pursuit his classic "kill all gods and let the one left sort 'em out" revenge mode.

I dont think it will be that...I think he doesn't have the same connection to the Norse pantheon as he did the Olympians

I think this time they go after him

Handy Fake

Just had a bit scout about. Maybe Kratos' wife was one of the Vanir? They fought against the Asgardian Gods, including Odin.

I just watched the trailer again and love it. I wasn't so sure about changing the voice actor but Christopher Judge is pitch perfect. Seeing him with the boy brought back feels from playing Ghost of Sparta.

Deimos nooooooo. Ghost of Sparta is the only game in the entire series where you actually feel lot more emotional for the character of Kratos when he loses his brother. But yeah the new voice actor's performance was spot on. Can't wait for this newer direction and man the orchestral score gave me goosebumps.

Handy Fake

so do you think Kratos will ally with the Vanir against the Aesir?

I do. I've only scanned the myths, but it looks like, maybe implies, his wife was killed by the Aesir. Perhaps he's in hiding with his son from the repercussions, maybe the Aesir is hunting the boy.

I do. I've only scanned the myths, but it looks like, maybe implies, his wife was killed by the Aesir. Perhaps he's in hiding with his son from the repercussions, maybe the Aesir is hunting the boy.

I looked into that as well, maybe he even married Freya herself at some point. I even tried to find out if she's related of wearing a knife or a bow, but all I came up with is that she and her brother both owned a giant boar.

gamerMan

Elaborate?

It's hard to tell without playing the game how much of that battle required skill versus just something that plays out on its own. To me it looks like you blindly hit buttons with no skill required. Also, the gameplay feels very formulaic. Walking segments followed by battles with the boy standing aside. Battles look like cinematic experiences whereas in the previous games enemies swarmed you from all sides, requiring you to have mastery of the controls and combo system.

There nothing you do in between the battle sequences except watch the boy become a tour guide as he walks you straight into the next battle. In the previous God Of Wars there were exploration bits between the battles, which here seem to be removed to go on a walking tour with your son as he explains the story to you. Perhaps you will even get to work with your son pushing crates or doing other mindless objectives like giving each other boosts to build a relationship. I do hope that you don't have to always babysit the boy so that exploration is encouraged.

The actual battle with the Troll kind of looks like a scripted set piece with very little player involvement but until you play it, you won't know. It might not have the QTE prompts but if there is no skill required it might as well be a QTE. I remain cautiously optimistic, but right now it's a little hard to get excited for this aside from the graphic fidelity that is comparable to Uncharted 4.

Handy Fake

I looked into that as well, maybe he even married Freya herself at some point. I even tried to find out if she's related of wearing a knife or a bow, but all I came up with is that she and her brother both owned a giant boar.

Could well be, it's all interesting.

"In the Prose Edda, Sif is named as the mother of the goddess Þrúðr by Thor and of Ullr with a father whose name is not recorded. The Prose Edda also recounts that Sif once had her hair shorn by Loki, and that Thor forced Loki to have a golden headpiece made for Sif, resulting in not only Sif's golden tresses but also five other objects for other gods." - Wiki

I like that too. Very interesting.

MaxHouse

Banned
It's hard to tell without playing the game how much of that battle required skill versus just something that plays out on its own. To me it looks like you blindly hit buttons with no skill required. Also, the gameplay feels very formulaic. Walking segments followed by battles with the boy standing aside. Battles look like cinematic experiences whereas in the previous games enemies swarmed you from all sides, requiring you to have mastery of the controls and combo system.

There nothing you do in between the battle sequences except watch the boy become a tour guide as he walks you straight into the next battle. In the previous God Of Wars there were exploration bits between the battles, which here seem to be removed to go on a walking tour with your son as he explains the story to you. Perhaps you will even get to work with your son pushing crates or doing other mindless objectives like giving each other boosts to build a relationship. I do hope that you don't have to always babysit the boy so that exploration is encouraged.

The actual battle with the Troll kind of looks like a scripted set piece with very little player involvement but until you play it, you won't know. It might not have the QTE prompts but if there is no skill required it might as well be a QTE. I remain cautiously optimistic, but right now it's a little hard to get excited for this aside from the graphic fidelity that is comparable with Uncharted 4.

lets be honest.....God of War was one of the weakest of the hack n' slash/character action genres in terms of gameplay mechanics....many people love the GOW series more because of its total package and spectacle

this new perspective, I believe will only make the gameplay more tactical, more skillfull

lets be honest.....God of War was one of the weakest of the hack n' slash/character action genres in terms of gameplay mechanics....many people love the GOW series more because of its total package and spectacle

this new perspective, I believe will only make the gameplay more tactical, more skillfull

Those playing GoW on hardest difficulty levels might disagree.

The actual battle with the Troll kind of looks like a scripted set piece with very little player involvement but until you play it, you won't know. It might not have the QTE prompts but if there is no skill required it might as well be a QTE. I remain cautiously optimistic, but right now it's a little hard to get excited for this aside from the graphic fidelity that is comparable to Uncharted 4.
The trailer area is actually more open than you see in the trailer, you can explore them and find items like weapon runes or rare metal.

Puzzles also has been confirmed, and the kid will be part of the puzzle solving.

The combat still have similar weak and strong attack like previous gow. In addition to that you also had ability to throw your axe, and to command your boy yo attack enemies, you do it by set the camera at the enemy and press square button. The boy will attack with his bow.

You can even timed his arrow attack during combo, so do a quick 3 or 4 hit combo followed by the kid's arrow. Similarly, you can also do a quick combo to 1 enemy, throw your axe to 2nd enemy, continue punching the 1st enemy and later call your axe back again.

Seems like there's actually more stuff you can do compare to the beginning of previous gow.

Tonky

I really need this to be a 2017 game. I can't wait until 2018 for this, and it looked to polished to be early in development.

MaxHouse

Banned
thinking about the Ullr theory now.....

thing is Sif had blonde hair...Kratos obviously doesn't have red hair...and the son has red hair

obviously SSM can take liberties with the mythology but Sif's golden locks is said to be one of the greatest of Thor's "treasures"...

the idea the kid could be thor makes some sense because in traditional mythology Thor has red hair (not the marvel blonde version)

Cory did say they chose this piece to show the things they changed, like Kratos having a son, the more focus on the story, character development, the camera ect. He says the spectacle and combat is something they have already mastered. I hope in the next trailer we get to see some crazy action. Cory seems pretty confident they nailed it and given their history, I will trust that they did.

MaxHouse

Banned
Cory did say they chose this piece to show the things they changed, like Kratos having a son, the more focus on the story, character development, the camera ect. He says the spectacle and combat is something they have already mastered. I hope in the next trailer we get to see some crazy action. Cory seems pretty confident they nailed it and given their history, I will trust that they did.

yeah its Cory Barlog and Santa Monica..its going to be epic

N.Domixis

Banned
Kratos wakes up and this whole time the previous games were all a dream and he actually exits in a norse mythology setting created in the matrix.

I'm hoping Kratos kept all of the Greek artifacts from the previous games and slowly starts using them throughout the game. Culminating in him reluctantly putting on the Blades of Chaos and going full on Spartan, destroyer of worlds on Odin, or whoever the final boss is.

MaxHouse

Banned
I'm hoping Kratos kept all of the Greek artifacts from the previous games and slowly starts using them throughout the game. Culminating in him reluctantly putting on the Blades of Chaos and going full on Spartan, destroyer of worlds on Odin, or whoever the final boss is.

he still carries a greek omega symbol and he still wears the Spartan dress

Two Words

Hell no. New land, new gear.

You concluded this from a 9 minute trailer?

Can anyone tell me if this game was on the showfloor or playable behind closed doors? im looking for a playthrough of the demo that is not the official trailer.

Darknight

Hey guys, the kid has something familiar around his waist...

Son_Web.jpg

Where have we seen that? Maybe this from the man himself!? :)

You concluded this from a 9 minute trailer?

Can anyone tell me if this game was on the showfloor or playable behind closed doors? im looking for a playthrough of the demo that is not the official trailer.
It wasnt on the show floor. Some media folk were shown the same area behind closed doors showing more of the open level design and the collecting side of things like pieces of armor and stuff. Nothing for the public to see other than the official trailer.

I really liked the way David Jaff described the GOWIII as a moving picture and that's because for me that is what was attractive about GOW II and III, I don't really care about the story or gameplay in those games too much, I just liked walking through a beautiful environment and button mashing my way from one set piece to another, it was a great palate cleanser.

So while there isn't anything I heard or seen that will necessarily exclude what attracts me to the series, I am a bit worried the new emphasis on the story in combat system will affect the pacing and thus my enjoyment of the game.

I hope Jorgmundr is like the frozen titan section in GoW2 where his body pesters you throughout the level, only here in the end it culminates in a hugeass boss fight. Then, when you defeat it the snake body disappears and opens up a path at the very beginning of the game. A little something to whet the appetite. End chapter 1

... you beat the world serpent and it opens up a path, eh? Beating the world serpent, a child of Loki, is a thing to whet the appetite, eh?

I certainly hope they are a little more crafty than that when dealing with this.

MaxHouse

Banned
something interesting from another GOW thread

b1SMqCa.gif

yuRI5tX.jpg

(leaked artwork for GOW back in April...a guardian?)

1pKfiDs.jpg

G4noHzK.jpg
( Kratos and his son in a boat)

It wasnt on the show floor. Some media folk were shown the same area behind closed doors showing more of the open level design and the collecting side of things like pieces of armor and stuff. Nothing for the public to see other than the official trailer.
Thanks, saved me some time of search in vain.

i know many won't share my opinion, but i kind of like if the game had a more subdued tone in regards to Krato's powers and abilities. If you look at how the demo starts and the first fight, Kratos been a bit less overpowered lend a feeling of surprise and meaning when he calls his Axe back. That was something so small yet impressive to me.

... you beat the world serpent and it opens up a path, eh? Beating the world serpent, a child of Loki, is a thing to whet the appetite, eh?

I certainly hope they are a little more crafty than that when dealing with this.
Jörmundgander defeats Odin in the Ragnarok so I think it will be a little more than a palate cleanser considering its significance to the Lore.

But then again, Poseidon is pretty important to the Greek mythos and we saw how he went out.

Rymuth

Has the Venturebeat interview been posted? Lot of interesting info here

GamesBeat: The name suggests a new beginning. There’s no number at the end.

Barlog: The decision not to put a 4 at the end was deliberate. The seven games we did in the Greek era—marking the eras of God of War and the mythologies we’re exploring, Kratos moving to the Norse era is a kind of B.C. to A.D. changeover. It almost resets the clock. Both Kratos and the team are kind of refreshing and re-imagining, cleaning the slate. Kratos is our through line, our constant through all of it, but otherwise we’re starting from scratch. A number would take away from that. It would seem like just another sequel.

GamesBeat: What stage of the game are we seeing here? What would we know at this time?

Barlog: It’s the beginning of the game. The events that transpire here are very specific to the demo. What actually happens on that hunt is very different. It sets up the call to action and the remainder of the story. But we wanted to tell a complete story in this demo, to have a beginning and a middle and an end, so you could see the development of the kid. By the end, Kratos’s influence has changed him.

GamesBeat: Do we know, then, what happened to his mother?

Barlog: We will. That’s a big part of the story. But we don’t know yet.

Blobbers

Don't see why not. The series doesn't shy away from grand openings. The first boss in GoW3 is the god of all seas and a brother of Zeus. Think of all the big, important mythological beings in the series that don't get much in the way of development, but simply end up being another victim of Kratos.

I have seen some negative comments regarding combat looking "heavy" but I for one really velcome that. It fits perfectly with the move to the north, it should feel heavy.

Don't see why not. The series doesn't shy away from grand openings. The first boss in GoW3 is the god of all seas and a brother of Zeus. Think of all the big, important mythological beings in the series that don't get much in the way of development, but simply end up being another victim of Kratos.

There's a grand opening, and then there is starting the game with beating arguably the most powerful creature in that universe and one that plays a huge role in the mythos. There are plenty of other massive serpents to pick from.

Anth1888

Hermes boots are also in the E3 trailer on the house where Kratos is introduced.

Top Bottom