• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

Watched the demo again, I think Spartan Rage action was done purposely for E3 presentation since it looked "cinematic" to me, you just rush to the troll and let it finish its job. I guess Spartan Rage will be more like a buff skill or "Devil Trigger" in final build

Sorry for the many images.
I rewatched the trailer and I made some observations.
As you can see, the three holes on the axe are smaller than the first one which contains that yellow thing. I think the other holes are for upgrades, because of their smaller size. However, maybe we can switch the yellow thing with a different color thing of different power.
Ao0UXMr.jpg

Kratos has a sword, too. Check the left side of axe's bottom.
vW31ZJ3.jpg

Fire demon?
vAjipCN.jpg

Runes. I tried to translate them, but the translated text made no sense.
tiRJ0N1.jpg

There runes on the horn, too. I think the text means south or it has something to do with south (a nod to Kratos' origin, perhaps, Greece is in the southern part of Europe). Take this with a grain of salt, though.
Xtgq127.jpg

GnawtyDog

Banned
I don't know what to think about this reboot. On the one hand, it looks incredible, but on the other hand it feels like it takes all the control away from the player. It's Uncharted 4 all over again with lengthy walking segments where the only interactive bit is pushing forward on the joystick. Skill and gameplay takes a backseat to telling a story. All it needs are crates or planks to help build out the relationship between Kratos and his son.

Even the battles take control away from the player with heavy scripted battle sequences that look like they complete themselves. Yes, it looks cool but much of the gameplay has been stripped away to make it more cinematic. It will be interesting to see how it comes together but right now I am torn.

Elaborate?

MaxHouse

Banned
i know a few people mentioned it...but the Troll having similar markings to Kratos is interesting, although its probably a coincidence

TsuWave

sorry guys, it has probably already been asked, but any explanation/insight on why they dropped T. C. Carson/recast Kratos' voice actor?

MaxHouse

Banned
sorry guys, it has probably already been asked, but any explanation/insight on why they dropped T. C. Carson/recast Kratos' voice actor?

who knows....the new guy is good though...that many people thought it was T. C just changing his voice a little bit

its not an abrupt change like Hayter to Sutherland...so it won't really be a problem

I know GAF was a bit mixed with Uncharted 4 doing this, but does anyone else hope we have a more than a few slower paced scenes in God of War? I really enjoyed the slower buildup and falling action in this demo, and I hope the full game is full of these moments.

MaxHouse

Banned
I know GAF was a bit mixed with Uncharted 4 doing this, but does anyone else hope we have a more than a few slower paced scenes in God of War? I really enjoyed the slower buildup and falling action in this demo, and I hope the full game is full of these moments.

yes.... I don't think there will be as much slow down scenes as say Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us...but I do think there will be moments as such

Hell no. I play God of War because of combat, set pieces. I welcome them to add more emotion cutscenes but not reducing number of encounter. I'm still mad at U4 -_-

Im going to take a wild guess and say there is going to be quite a bit of slower parts. Depending on how long the game is, them doing that whole one continuous shot throughout the whole games seems like a quite the monumental task if it was balls to the wall action through the whole game.

And I'm ok with thag as long as the battles are fucking epic. And if this demo was light on the action then Im guessing they will be.

As you can see, the three holes on the axe are smaller than the first one which contains that yellow thing. I think the other holes are for upgrades, because of their smaller size. However, maybe we can switch the yellow thing with a different color thing of different power.
Ao0UXMr.jpg

Kratos has a sword, too. Check the left side of axe's bottom.
vW31ZJ3.jpg

Fire demon?
vAjipCN.jpg

Runes. I tried to translate them, but the translated text made no sense.
tiRJ0N1.jpg

There runes on the horn, too. I think the text means south or it has something to do with south (a nod to Kratos' origin, perhaps, Greece is in the southern part of Europe). Take this with a grain of salt, though.
Xtgq127.jpg
Good spots,I wonder if the horn acts as a weapon of some sort?

God of War has always had them. The core games have always taken breaks from action for platforming and puzzles.

What's the difference between "press this button" and "press this button a lot"? Some of GoW's QREs even involved mashing a button, typically the circle button.

QTEs typically have fail states if the button order isn't put in correctly and use the controller inputs in a manner that is not consistent with the rest of the game. Execution finishers that correspond to existing button commands are not the same thing.

What's the difference between "press this button" and "press this button a lot"? Some of GoW's QREs even involved mashing a button, typically the circle button.
I think QTE is a very loose interpretation for GOW. They are more like finishing moves than something like Heavy Rain.

Something I forgot to write before: Kratos throws the axe with ice powers in one of the fire demons (?) and the fire demon dies immediately. Maybe we can use diffferent types of magic on enemies and their effect depends on the type of the enemy. For example, ice could be effective on fire demons and less effective on frost giants, fire could be more effective on frost giants than on fire demons etc.

BigApple3AM

Neo Member
God of War needed a reboot. I like the old games and I was looking forward to another, but it's admittedly gotten a bit stale. I'd of bought it if it was the same old Kratos in a sequel called God of War 4, but this is a very refreshing new look for the series and I think it's the perfect time to shake things up.

Loudninja

Something I forgot to write before: Kratos throws the axe with ice powers in one of the fire demons (?) and the fire demon dies immediately. Maybe we can use diffferent types of magic on enemies and their effect depends on the type of the enemy. For example, ice could be effective on fire demons and less effective on frost giants, fire could be more effective on frost giants than on fire demons etc.
It does seem like the troll used fire element as well hmmm

I was thinking that too. Elemental upgrades for the axe seems like a possibility. Its got Ice, maybe those 3 slots are for, fire, lighting and wind or something.

The sons arrows looked like lighting when he stunned the troll.

Two Words

God of War has always had them. The core games have always taken breaks from action for platforming and puzzles.

QTEs typically have fail states if the button order isn't put in correctly and use the controller inputs in a manner that is not consistent with the rest of the game. Execution finishers that correspond to existing button commands are not the same thing.

The button mashing segments of GoW had fail states.

Spartan Rage sequence had some slow moments and they're quite fit for QTE.
I think that spartan rage in that trailer played out like that to move the story forward. Im guessing that when you activate it at other times in the game, it will just make you deal more damage.

I think that spartan rage in that trailer played out like that to move the story forward. Im guessing that when you activate it at other times in the game, it will just make you deal more damage.

I think so too, from my earlier post
Watched the demo again, I think Spartan Rage action was done purposely for E3 presentation since it looked "cinematic" to me, you just rush to the troll and let it finish its job. I guess Spartan Rage will be more like a buff skill or "Devil Trigger" in final build

H94q9NI.jpg

Kratos Comparison. Some minor changes but the new model looks great. Got to say I really like the costume, Love how he still retains some of his Spartan/Greek Elements but has adopted it for the new setting. I'm growing to love the Idea of the Axe honestly. He does some cool stuff with it in the footage and it's very "Viking"

Big fan of the design overall.

Big fan as well. As a matter of fact I just realized this new design - and of course as well his new personality - reduced the number of voices demanding a next GoW, but without Kratos significantly.

Ploid 3.0

Ao0UXMr.jpg

Wow I didn't notice the Omega symbol that holds his axe is a snake.

Opening scene:

One of the boys toys looks like a Norse god, one looks like a monster of sorts. Interestingly the boy is role playing as the monster.

"That hammer doesn't scare me. RAWR!"

Nice little hint of things to come?

Razgreez

Fire demon?
vAjipCN.jpg

At first I presumed it was fire too but looking at it and the way the troll uses it it seems more like some sort of magical plasma. Maybe fire based maybe not. No flames though that's for sure

Also, I initially presumed the kid had some sort of ice powers but he only appears to use lightning based ones (against the troll). The deer's horns glow blue before he ever hits it with the arrow for example

TEH-CJ

Banned
Opening scene:

One of the boys toys looks like a Norse god, one looks like a monster of sorts. Interestingly the boy is role playing as the monster.

"That hammer doesn't scare me. RAWR!"

Nice little hint of things to come?

I put money Kratos son grows up to be reckless and evil and the next game becomes the villan. Kratos would be conflicted and reluctant to fight his son but in the end he has no choice.

I put money Kratos son grows up to be reckless and evil and the next game becomes the villan. Kratos would be conflicted and reluctant to fight his son but in the end he has no choice.
He should have pat him on the back after he killed the deer.

Possible

But I'm seeing them foreshadowing a fight with Thor. Potentially the son vs Thor

Two Words

Nah, Kratos is gonna be a good daddy that won't raise a child like that.

Exactly lol.
Kratos says "now you're ready - for a new begining" because he just robbed his kid of his innocence. This is the start of his sons murdering ways. Barlog said its about Kratos teaching him to be a god and the kid teaching him to be human. I can see the whole switch happening. The son makes Kratos soft but Kratos turns his son into what he used to be.

Phreak47

Son, if there was a better way than killing to collect glowing orb thingies, we'd do it. But there's no goddamn chests out here. That's the thing I hate the most about this fucking place.

Top Bottom