• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

Mouse Cop

If I recall correctly, Barlog said it's R1 and R2. He mentioned strong and light attacks, I believe, as well as short and mid-range, maybe? I think it was from the PlayStation LiveCast interview. I have no doubt there will be plenty of attacks and combos we can do. After all, this is God of War, and Barlog said the only reason we didn't see any of the usual "bombastic, cinematic" action was that it was already a given and they wanted to focus on the emotions and story for this demo.

Woah, nice. Haven't seen that one before. I really love Kratos' new look. Especially the beard, because his face wasn't exactly pleasing to look at before.

This makes me feel a little better, I rewetted it and saw the circle button pop up while he was fighting those wood demon things, which means grabbing is back. The interview with Geoff helped calm my fears and raise my mast of hype to maximum.

MaxHouse

Banned
Didn't Cory direct not only God of War 2 but the opening Poseidon fight in GOW 3?

yeah i think we will be fine guys in terms of gameplay

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So thinking about the new direction of the series I don't think its going to be about Kratos murdering the Norse pantheon. If anything I could see him having to help them or fight alongside of them against Loki, the Ice Giants, Fenrir, The Midgar Serpent and so on. Hell the last game could literally be Kratos and Son with Odin and the rest fighting in Ragnarok.

MaxHouse

Banned
So thinking about the new direction of the series I don't think its going to be about Kratos murdering the Norse pantheon. If anything I could see him having to help them or fight alongside of them against Loki, the Ice Giants, Fenrir, The Midgar Serpent and so on. Hell the last game could literally be Kratos and Son with Odin and the rest fighting in Ragnarok.

Like The Gods ask for Kratos help? hmmm maybe

Black Storm

Neo Member
very happy with the new changes , GoW is my favorite Hack & Slash franchise , and I think that the new changes will make the game even better .

loved the new kartos too

KC Denton

Like The Gods ask for Kratos help? hmmm maybe
Fenrir would make a good rival character or persistent antagonist to Kratos given how they both got screwed by their respective gods and went on revenge rampages which resulted in the deaths of their respective pantheon heads. Might be a good way to get TC Carson back into the series, too.

MaxHouse

Banned
Is it just me or does Kratos still respect his Spartan heritage?

he carries a omega symbol on his back..and I believe he has a spartan belt or something?

God of War PS4 Director on the Challenge of Making People Take Kratos Seriously
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-ps4-director-on-the-challenge-of-making/1100-6440945/ (More in the link)
We'd seen concept art for something rumoured to be a new God of War through leaks, and yet what was shown was still so far off what we expected. Did you feel confident that people wouldn't see your reimagined God of War coming?

"I would love to say I was confident, but I think there were many moments of doubt and fear. I don't know if anybody noticed since but that Shinobi602 guy [that leaked the announcement] had actually said "to the halls of Valhalla, my boy," but nobody picked up on that thank god because I was really worried that would get out there early."
:lol:

True, no one picked up on that.

I'm actually thinking 1st half 2018 would be Killzone 5; Guerrilla Amsterdam has more than one team, right?

I also bet Sucker Punch's next game will be out around then.

Anyways, on topic; what are the odds there's any type of Sex mini-game in it? Obviously, the blatant male power fantasy scenes from the original trilogy won't be her, but part of me thinks they might do something a bit artsy here.

Oh no, it's Evolve all over again D:
Calling it now, the sex mini game will be at or near the start of the game where Kratos' son is conceived. Then a time jump afterwards.

Also, has anyone translated the words in the opening orchestra at E3?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Calling it now, the sex mini game will be at or near the start of the game where Kratos' son is conceived. Then a time jump afterwards.

Also, has anyone translated the words in the opening orchestra at E3?

The game allegedly has no cuts from start to finish which should preclude time jumps and flashbacks. Maybe they'll still do them, where you open a door and suddenly you're in the past. I guess that would count as no cut.

The IGN video is the one that finally put me at ease on the massive change to the series.

Confirmed from Cory

-Kid will never be in the way of combat
-Not fully open world but much more open design
-Massive scale
-Huge bosses and the troll is just a typical enemy
-Tons of different environments

Also all the Gods of the different mythologies exist at the same time, so Norse and Egyptian already existed when Kratos was going on a rampage in Greece.

The IGN video is the one that finally put me at ease on the massive change to the series.

Confirmed from Cory

-Massive scale

Also all the Gods of the different mythologies exist at the same time, so Norse and Egyptian already existed when Kratos was going on a rampage in Greece.

I hopethey retcon ghost Athena as Loki all along.

I wonder how similar the combat will end up being to Hellblade. The perspective is basically the same.

Ninja Theory also has experience with action games, so it will probably be a good example of what to expect from this new GOW.

Two videos about the combat from their YT channel (Part 1 | Part 2).

Cracklox

Pro's: Beard

Cons: Taking a wait and see approach. Rockin beard though

We'll see if they can pull off the father son relationship. I'm a little sceptical to be honest. I never chucked a God of War game on before because I wanted some feels. Its about the slaughtering and doing epic shit. Which there will still be plenty of according to the info above, so I'll still likely grab it either way

Have they said that? Because it kind of just looks like L1 R1 might be for attack and hammer throw. If they have weak, heavy, grapple, and kid combos I'm sold. I just want some damn action in this game because everything else looks SOOO GOOOD.

you can see in the E3 press conf and in the official trailer that Kratos have different combo string. a fast 4 hit combo, and another attack that are slower, you can see Kratos mixing it up to so start with fast attack followed by slow attack.

WAIT

this game already has a detailed ESRB rating!? That must mean its really close to completion. Next year for sure, maybe even early next year.

HStallion

maybe Kratos become a celebrity among the world's mythologies because of what he did to the Olympians

I would think most of the other God's are like,"YO that one dude just killed everyone on Mount Olympus and the Titans too! Oh thank us, he's going North"

I would actually enjoy if the sequels actually dealt with other pantheons of Gods like the Egyptian Gods realizing what a threat Kratos is and aligning with the Hindu Gods and what not to lay the smack down on Kratos but he ain't having that shit!

MaxHouse

Banned
I would think most of the other God's are like,"YO that one dude just killed everyone on Mount Olympus and the Titans too! Oh thank us, he's going North"

I would actually enjoy if the sequels actually dealt with other pantheons of Gods like the Egyptian Gods realizing what a threat Kratos is and aligning with the Hindu Gods and what not to lay the smack down on Kratos but he ain't having that shit!

its possible thats what the Norse gods are doing.... when that troll grabs Kratos...maybe they are just trying to eliminate him

jett

D-Member
:lol:

True, no one picked up on that.

I really don't see the point of you attempting to ruin the surprise of this game being about Kratos and his son. Just seems hugely dickish. I've also seen you trying to spoil further story-related stuff for this game, for no reason whatsoever.

Confirmed from Cory

-Massive scale

Nice.

The God

WAIT

this game already has a detailed ESRB rating!? That must mean its really close to completion. Next year for sure, maybe even early next year.

I don't understand why they didn't at least give us a vague "2017" if that's the case. I'm expecting 2018.

I really don't see the point of you attempting to ruin the surprise of this game being about Kratos and his son. Just seems hugely dickish. I've also seen you trying to spoil further story-related stuff for this game, for no reason whatsoever.

Don't listen to this guy Shinobi. Just keep feeding our hungry souls with info. Sucker Punch next.

HStallion

its possible thats what the Norse gods are doing.... when that troll grabs Kratos...maybe they are just trying to eliminate him

Quite possible. Odin's Ravens were known to see the land for him and I could see them reporting back that one Ex God of War just rolled into town.

GnawtyDog

Banned

????????

The game allegedly has no cuts from start to finish which should preclude time jumps and flashbacks. Maybe they'll still do them, where you open a door and suddenly you're in the past. I guess that would count as no cut.

You don't need to do a hard cut between that to modern day; you could do a dissolve, or something which implies a lot of time moving quickly.

FATALITY

Banned
There was an article with an interview of an SSM employee in News when I googled God of War. Trying to find it now.
Edit: oh shit lol that article was from a year ago.

Either way, if the game was in 2017, they would say that at E3 2016 since that's just a year away. Unless they are saving it for PS Experience and say there it will launch in 2017. Since they haven't put 2017 yet I assume it's at the very earliest a tentative Spring 2018 release.

Or they are just trying to avoid the delay backlash by not setting a release date

HStallion

I just noticed one of the toys the boy is playing with at the very beginning of the reveal looks like the Troll they fight later on, tusks and all but I can't tell what the other doll is supposed to be. Any ideas?

I also noticed that the boy has a variety of tattoos on his arm and one under his ear on his neck. Cant seem to make out what they are though, looks like runes on his arms.

MaxHouse

Banned
Kratos simply can't let go of his Spartan past

thats why he carries a greek alpha symbol on his back despite the fact he moved away from Greece

so the question is does Kratos really want to change?

Thewonandonly

Didn't Cory say they've already been working on it for three or four years?

I want them to take as long as they need, but damn, that's a long wait.
I'm honesly expecting March exspecially with the game already being rated. Except it will most likely release holiday of 2017.

MaxHouse

Banned
yeah now that I think about Im having trouble thinking Kratos really wants to change

I think their is some part of it...but the fact that he keeps the greek alpha symbol on his back is proof that he can't let go of his Spartan past

It's going to be interesting

BouncyFrag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg

go to 4:11

Kratos still has is godly strength, despite him probably being weaker then he was in GOW 1-3...

from literally no momentum, punches a troll back like 10 feet
lYgBnr.gif

Top Bottom