• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sells Over 3.1 Million Units in 3 Days, Becomes Fastest-Selling PS4 Exclusive

Shin

Banned
Santa Monica Studio's bold new vision for the legendary PlayStation series has won over players and critics alike.
One of PlayStation’s most iconic series is reaching new heights this week. Thanks to all of you, our fans, God of War has become the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive, with more than 3.1 million units sold globally in the first three days (April 20–22).

When we first revealed God of War less than two years ago, we knew we had something truly special. Fans reacted with tremendous excitement to this bold reimagining of the franchise, and we were thrilled to explore the unique father-son dynamic between Kratos and Atreus. Fast-forward to present day with the game’s release, and we are humbled to see such positive reviews.

Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...3-days-becomes-fastest-selling-ps4-exclusive/

meirl

Banned
Wonder how much they spent on marketing. They were EVERYWHERE here. Even after every single movie i watched in cinema there was this low res Gow4 ad

MoogleMan

That's great news. I just beat the story early this morning; finishing up the valkyries later today.

The game is a masterpiece, and it sets the bar for goty 2018 pretty damn high.

Droxcy

Figured they'd sell upwards of 2.5m to 4m copies. Good number and good advertising for this game. Beat it couple days ago, trying to get all the trophies now.

Bryank75

Banned
Sweet, wondering where it will sit after a month at market....
People need to support great games so publishers take note.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I like how they just say a number and not obfuscate it like "fastest selling rare game for first three days in months ending in y with box art with green..", MS loves to use marketing talk to hide things.

For me this game goes way above and beyond anything ND has put out lately. This just took over as my favorite game of all time above TLOU

I mean't from a selling perspective, I would have thought UC4 would do better than this God of War. But considering the amount of God of War marketing I've seen around, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope Sony tries their hardest to keep this team together. I can't even begin to imagine the job offers Barlog and the rest of the team receive after this.

Imtjnotu

I mean't from a selling perspective, I would have thought UC4 would do better than this God of War. But considering the amount of God of War marketing I've seen around, it wouldn't be a surprise.
2.7 million first week for U4.
3.1 million 3 days GOW

A.Romero

Very well deserved, in my opinion.

As a fan of story driven single player game, I'm glad that this game is a success and I hope it makes other publishers reconsider their MP focus.

Great game with a lot of care put into it. Not very much innovation but whatever, I'm looking for polished, cinematic and SP experiences. As long as they make it as well as this game, they can have my money.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
That's good but not as I good as I would have thought it would have done considering the reviews/hype.

Great work, loving the game so far, went and picked up my collectors edition at a midnight launch, between this and Far Cry 5, I should be good until Red Dead 2 comes out.

Dunki

I never thought this drastic change would work and I was so dead wrong about it. This was such a bold move that got it well deserved success. I can not wait to play Part 2 and I hope it does not take another 5 years^^

BANGS

Banned
It doesn't look like my kinda game but I'll give it a chance eventually. Glad the devs get to celebrate!

Last edited:

Codes 208

Well deserved. I had my own concerns of this tone shift, but it was so much better than i had expected.

Dad of Boi has consumed my life for the last week or so.

Now i just hope we get hd remakes of gow1 and 2, being a xbox gamer the last two gens, I never had a chance to play those.

Last edited:

chinoXL

For me this game goes way above and beyond anything ND has put out lately. This just took over as my favorite game of all time above TLOU
it pains me to agree cuz TLOU is my favorite but this new GOW deserves all the praise. i can't stop playing it...now lets see how ND responds with TLOU2!!

The Shepard

Well done Boooy!! Best game of the generation, well deserved! I'm never usually bothered with getting the platinum but this game kept me hooked and I just got it yesterday. Its so good, can't wait for part 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
fantastic game!!! I hope Guerrilla Games learn from them for how make exploration rewarding instead of getting their ideas from Ubisoft games.

Vawn

Banned
Well done Boooy!! Best game of the generation, well deserved! I'm never usually bothered with getting the platinum but this game kept me hooked and I just got it yesterday. Its so good, can't wait for part 2.

I just got it as well. It was all fun and games until that final post-game boss. Talk about a difficulty jump.

I told myself I'm done with trophies after getting Ni No Kuni 2's platinum, but I went ahead and did God of War. God of War (original) was my first platinum, so God of War 2018 would make a good final one (#130).

Of course, I'm weak, and likely won't kick the trophy habit so easily.

Shin

Banned
I can not wait to play Part 2 and I hope it does not take another 5 years^^
In the interview with tales from my ass (kotaku) Cory said that it took this long because they basically rebuild the engine from the ground up.
I don't have any current gen console, but going by the initial trailer and what I've read recently it's safe to say that there will be more games covering Norse myth.
Man imagine SSM magic on PS5 (I do think this game will be "remastered" for PS5 in the form of native 4K + extra's), should be batshitcrazy :)

Dunki

In the interview with tales from my ass (kotaku) Cory said that it took this long because they basically rebuild the engine from the ground up.
I don't have any current gen console, but going by the initial trailer and what I've read recently it's safe to say that there will be more games covering Norse myth.
Man imagine SSM magic on PS5 (I do think this game will be "remastered" for PS5 in the form of native 4K + extra's), should be batshitcrazy :)
Finishing the game It is almost certain the question is how long it will take them now^^

Ar¢tos

If ps5 keeps AMD APU x86 there will be no more remasters, they just need to release a patch for the game to run natively on ps5, but even if they don't, it will run via BC (but with less improvements).

ExpandKong

Banned
Game wasn’t really my cup of tea, but I suppose they took some big chances, and it’s good to see big chances pay off in this industry.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I haven't played this game yet.. can you believe it?

I'm waiting for my chance to get it from a friend, but I'm dying of anticipation!

Congratulations Sony and Santa Monica!!

Last edited:

The Shepard

I just got it as well. It was all fun and games until that final post-game boss. Talk about a difficulty jump.

I told myself I'm done with trophies after getting Ni No Kuni 2's platinum, but I went ahead and did God of War. God of War (original) was my first platinum, so God of War 2018 would make a good final one (#130).

Of course, I'm weak, and likely won't kick the trophy habit so easily.

MINOR GOD OF WAR SPOILERS :

Yea that boss was way harder than everything else. Took me about 50 tries till I maxed everything out. Make sure to use the teleport gates a couple of times after you beat her as you get some extra story about some wings and a woman who doesn't like you no MORE.

And you got 130 platinum trophies 😲 I got 17 😂

Last edited:

Frosted

I was skeptical at first because of the new camera angle and gameplay mechanics but since I've been playing it for the last few days, I love everything they have done so far.

b0bbyJ03

This makes me so happy. Hope people keep supporting these types of games to prove that we still want linear single player games.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Excellent, an amazing experience that's for sure; I'm excited to see this momentum make it's way to the next God of War and fix the criticisms that can be had like lack of big boss battles.

Vawn

Banned
MINOR GOD OF WAR SPOILERS :

Yea that boss was way harder than everything else. Took me about 50 tries till I maxed everything out. Make sure to use the teleport gates a couple of times after you beat her as you get some extra story about some wings and a woman who doesn't like you no MORE.

And you got 130 platinum trophies 😲 I got 17 😂

It sounds crazy and it is a huge waste of time overall. Then, I see people that have over 1,000.

Top Bottom