• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods Will Be Watching |OT| A Point-and-Click Thriller

Strazyplus

Finished it, thankfully the last chapter is actually another example of a good one, similar to chapters 3 and 4. The epilogue is just dumb trial and error though >_>

There is definitely a good game underneath this, and I wonder if in time, people may be less harsh towards it as they know what they're expecting going in. But they're is definitely a lot of shit to put up with from the poor balancing and luck based elements that can break a good run.

I also, must say, I played on easy as the starting chapter was too difficult, and I doubt I'd get through some of the worse chapters without it. However, the chapters that I did like, that weren't as poorly balanced, did seem a bit too easy as a result.

Pointless, I kind of wonder why they felt they wanted to go that route but whatever I guess.

PS: I thought the weird graphical glitching on my previous dead crew was some sort of hint, it's actually just a glitch XD

Its actually a glitch? looks intentional.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anyone know how to beat the shit chapter 2? I tried it 50 times already.

Alternate responses between Jack & Burden to give one a chance to recover damage taken briefly. Also note that some weapons/attacks require multiple non-responses to push them into attacking you. The blowtorch'd crowbar is one that requires two actions before it completes. Whatever you ask to be brought to you takes a day delay so always try to plan your approach as best you can for whatever tool you picked.

's about as best I can say really. It's an endurance test.

Alternate responses between Jack & Burden to give one a chance to recover damage taken briefly. Also note that some weapons/attacks require multiple non-responses to push them into attacking you. The blowtorch'd crowbar is one that requires two actions before it completes. Whatever you ask to be brought to you takes a day delay so always try to plan your approach as best you can for whatever tool you picked.

's about as best I can say really. It's an endurance test.

Yeah I noticed all that, but I'm still not able to get far.

I get a higher percentage on the first one since it deals the least damage.
I provoke past the second part, then ask for health.
Third part, I take the beating as far as I can, also seeing if begging works when I'm near dead. I heal up and ask for painkillers
Fourth part, I provoke to get the second step, lie successfully (hopefully), and use painkillers.

I mean, is there 16 more days of this? It seems impossible if there are 4 more parts of these.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Third part, I take the beating as far as I can, also seeing if begging works when I'm near dead. I heal up and ask for painkillers
Fourth part, I provoke to get the second step, lie successfully (hopefully), and use painkillers.

I mean, is there 16 more days of this? It seems impossible if there are 4 more parts of these.

There are
days, I believe. That may or may not be because I was
on easy

Wigdogger

Yeah,
there aren't 20 days. I believe it's about 9 or 10.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment that others are expressing (I, too, saw this on the GB quick look) — that the game has a brilliant concept and some genuinely tense moments, but it's pretty rough around the edges and has some randomness thrown in at odd points. I've had it crash on me twice, once at the end of chapter 1, nullifying my level completion. Yeah, I was thrilled about that.

The premise of managing different elements in a tense situation is really compelling, and there is a logic to the scenarios (I'm on chapter 3). Once you understand the consequence, more or less, of each red action, you'll get a better handle on how to proceed. Of course, having died on chapter 2 further along, you have a better idea of what's coming next, so you can stagger actions accordingly and plan out what items you'll need, etc.

Still, the RNG does bone you on chapter 2, which is pretty annoying in that one specific sequence. Even chapter 1 has some odd moments where you'll be calmly hacking and then the hostages will bug out more than normal. That can throw you off pretty quick. That said, not rushing is important, as I think a lot of people probably try and use hack boost in chapter 1 rather than be patient, securing the network and actually negotiating with the guards.

It's definitely a love-hate game so far, and I really hope a different developer takes some inspiration from this one, as there is a kernel of awesomeness underneath some of the randomness, crashing and frustration. I'm still going to play more of it, as I am weirdly compelled to move on (slowly, though).

mrplaid

Man, I really want to like this game. Love the idea, but playing it just isn't fun. I agree with what previous folks have said; there are the bones of something great here, but it boils down to tedious trial and error guesswork. In spite of that, I want to make my way through the rest of the game to see the story and art. Anybody know if someone has come up with a way to cheat? : )

Welp, I thought chapter 2 was infuriating, chapter 5 is worse.

Seems like I'm super close with 20 hours left and my signal super strong, lost all my scouts all in one go and then die to enemy camp.

The biggest problem with the game is that each and every objective is twice as long as it should be. Right down from the beginning of the game.... two bars to fill.

Gaz_RB

Popped in to see if people were enjoying the game, as I had my eye on it for a while.

Disappointed that you guys aren't. I guess I'll wait for a sale, then.

Strazyplus

Popped in to see if people were enjoying the game, as I had my eye on it for a while.

Disappointed that you guys aren't. I guess I'll wait for a sale, then.

I enjoyed it but was on easy, I expected more morals and and more time to make decisions sense it was mostly resource management. barely any character development imo since I didn't care for them all that much.

Play the ludum dare version and if that interests you then buy.

mrplaid

The biggest problem with the game is that each and every objective is twice as long as it should be. Right down from the beginning of the game.... two bars to fill.

I completely agree.

Also, I just came to the conclusion that I could be really reductive and mean and unfair by saying this game is basically McPixel except that it takes longer to fail. But that would be mean, reductive and unfair.

yurinka

I'm also kind of dismayed by the negative impressions. Game looked really cool, but it sounds pretty... unfun.
C'mon, it's Gaf. It's common to hyperbolize the negative comments here.

Game is not for everybody because it's very difficult, but it does fit well with the game mechanics about extreme survival and choices with consequences (with frequent interesting moral choices).

It has a great, stilish, unique personality in both pixel-art, music and game mechanics.

Yes, it's the first game of an indie dev so it has some small flaws, which is something that can be expected from most games. But the game is really cool.

Strazyplus

C'mon, it's Gaf. It's common to hyperbolize the negative comments here.

Game is not for everybody because it's very difficult, but it does fit well with the game mechanics about extreme survival and choices with consequences (with frequent interesting moral choices).

It has a great, stilish, unique personality in both pixel-art, music and game mechanics.

Yes, it's the first game of an indie dev so it has some small flaws, which is something that can be expected from most games. But the game is really cool.

I agree, just try this and if this looks like a kind of game you want then BUY IT

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My final thoughts on the whole thing, brief cuts for the tl;dr:

Despite flashing choice as though you were at an all-you-can-cry buffet of nerve testing conundrums a la The Walking Dead Season 1, there’s very little in the way of consequence to anything you do. Characters whom you watch violently expire from this godless universe will magically re-appear in the later chapters, which I will cover more later, even going so far as to having their ghost speak to you. Every situation has a set of conditions that must absolutely be met in order to progress or else you will be judged by the gods as unworthy and forced to redo the entire chapter. Failing to keep a specific person alive can doom you towards the end of a segment, mismanaging your various resources could lead to an instant ‘game over’, or the RNGods may decide that on this die roll that revolver will finally go off and plaster the wall with your brains.

It’s a shame too, as the story presented could have made more of an impact if people could actually make it to the final chapters to see everything tie together. Players have been noticing a lot of inconsistencies and oddities, citing the game’s touting of choice as though it would matter and being disappointed that killing off a character in one chapter would leave them alive in the next. The story does, in fact, get around to explaining why this occurs but it happens so late in the game that I worry most players will have given up long before then. I get that the story uses the cycle of repeating the scenarios over and over again but it’s just not that fun. It’s like a Coen Brothers movie that misses its own point.

An ambitious title that buckles almost entirely from the weight of its own difficulty. An impenetrable, un-climbable wall for many, who will be unable to progress and enjoy what Gods Will Be Watching does have to offer.

megalowho

Man, this game is so disappointing due to how close to being great it is. Like others have said there's an amazingly unique adventure game in here buried underneath punishing resource management, randomness and excessive obfuscation. Compelling scenarios overstay their welcome and test your endurance and patience over critical thinking and survival strategy.

Love the look, the UI and the base concept but it's not the game I was hoping for after the promising prototype. Will keep trying to press forward on easy because there is something here worth seeing, just not having very much fun getting there.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
A major update has been released:

ANgLzjZ.png

THE MERCY UPDATE

Three new difficulty levels with different approaches to gameplay, including two modes without RNG!

Puzzle Mode
All the challenge of Original Mode, but without random factors in play. If you want to remove the element of chance from the game, this is the mode for you.

Puzzle Mode Light
The easier version of the game that also removes random factors and chance. If you want to remove the element of chance and face easier puzzles, this is the mode for you.

Narrative Mode
The easiest mode and a way to enjoy the game as a narrative experience, without a heavy challenge.

Here you have an image which contains the feeling of the update

AND MORE FIXES

- Added a fade in for the language selection so players don’t miss-click on different languages when starting the game.

- Achievement “BR4ND-0N” in Chapter 4 description fixed.

- BR4ND-0N now can count as sacrificed on Chapter 3.

- Chapter 6: You can now click on Claire after hitting Frank.
- Chapter 6: Claire doesn’t come back to life when you threaten her child.

- Chapter 1: Restarting the puzzle after the guards launching the grenade doesn’t break the game anymore.

- Localization fixes. Including the “Yeah, that glove can be a pain in the ass.” line in every language.

Umm i bet this update was in response to the criticism the game had after release, which was not without merit. Seriously nothing sucks harder than not finishing a chapter when you are close to the end because you simply had bad luck, i know where they were going with it but that shit is frustasting as fuck.

Gexecuter said:
Puzzle Mode
All the challenge of Original Mode, but without random factors in play. If you want to remove the element of chance from the game, this is the mode for you.

Now this is interesting. I can't really think how they can remove RNG without completely redesigning mission 5 and maybe bits of mission 3. I'll give it a shot though.

Hopefully it fixes enough so that people will give this game a shot again. I actually quite like the game despite it's shortcomings.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I BET CHAPTER THREE

OH MY GOD

oh no chapter four good god

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this thread needs to be more active

I need a support group

Now this is interesting. I can't really think how they can remove RNG without completely redesigning mission 5 and maybe bits of mission 3. I'll give it a shot though.

Hopefully it fixes enough so that people will give this game a shot again. I actually quite like the game despite it's shortcomings.

there are still random elements in chapter three (the antidote), although I never had a power outage (as described earlier in this thread)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I finished it on Puzzle Mode (same puzzle structure and difficulty, without the random elements). I really appreciate what the team were going for. Well worth supporting, in my opinion.

kd-z

Due to a combination of factors (some very early impressions on RPS + graphics + feeling like buying a new game) lead me to preordering this. I only got the chance to play it today. I heard some stuff about the difficulty being wierd/annyoing, but HOLY SHIT IS THIS BAD :O

I mean, once I actually figured what is going on - the whole thing is turn based and you have to balance a couple factors to succeed - I though "oh, all of this makes sense now! I'll surely be able to beat this first chapter!"

Nope. After an hour and a half I'm giving up, I'll start again tomorrow either on Light Puzzle or even Narrative difficulty. The basic premise might be alright, but the execution is just frustrating. I have no idea whoever thought using so much randomness was a good idea. Sometimes the guards will happily indulge me for 10 turns with only one hostage left before "going in", while other times they'll flashbang me after two hostages have died. Grrr!

Strazyplus

Due to a combination of factors (some very early impressions on RPS + graphics + feeling like buying a new game) lead me to preordering this. I only got the chance to play it today. I heard some stuff about the difficulty being wierd/annyoing, but HOLY SHIT IS THIS BAD :O

I mean, once I actually figured what is going on - the whole thing is turn based and you have to balance a couple factors to succeed - I though "oh, all of this makes sense now! I'll surely be able to beat this first chapter!"

Nope. After an hour and a half I'm giving up, I'll start again tomorrow either on Light Puzzle or even Narrative difficulty. The basic premise might be alright, but the execution is just frustrating. I have no idea whoever thought using so much randomness was a good idea. Sometimes the guards will happily indulge me for 10 turns with only one hostage left before "going in", while other times they'll flashbang me after two hostages have died. Grrr!

w.. wa.. wa- wait.. why did you preorder! before there was proper reviews out!

Heres the Pre-Order chart.
It will tell you if its good to pre-order it or not.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

Try puzzle mode!

Also, in that case, you can ask one of your teammates to turn on the monitor and view the guards. You have to push them back, insult sword fight style.

kd-z

w.. wa.. wa- wait.. why did you preorder! before there was proper reviews out!
I know, man, I don't know why I did it :( Had spare money and wanted to buy a fresh game, I guess, and this looked lovely. I rarely preorder anything.
Try puzzle mode!

Also, in that case, you can ask one of your teammates to turn on the monitor and view the guards. You have to push them back, insult sword fight style.
I'm about to sit down with the game and try puzzle mode/puzzle mode light, yup.

And yeah, I've been using the monitor a lot. The thing that frustrated me was that, once I had only two hostages left, sometimes the SWAT-likes would throw a flashbang when they were really close to my barricade and sometimes they'd do it when they were on the other end of the hallway :mad:

Is this still on track for releasing on iOS? I can't find any info other than a launch trailer and a brief mention on a press kit.

kd-z

Oh sweet Jesus I can't believe it restarts at the very first day of torture when Jack or Abraham dies! I learned the hard way that two turns of the lever will tear Burden in two, even if he's on painkillers.

I'm playing on puzzle light difficulty. The first chapter was laughably easy, this one is getting boring.

Edit (update): Okay, I beat Chapter 2. Turns out
it was only six days! What a relief!
I think the fact that I'm posting while playing is a testiment to how much I like and hate this game at the same time ;)

Edit 2: I was SO CLOSE to getting the cure in Chapter 3 when my PC froze :< Well, at least now I'll try to get it right without Jack dying.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Is this still on track for releasing on iOS? I can't find any info other than a launch trailer and a brief mention on a press kit.

Yes! Android, too.

This is the first time I've popped in this thread. I honestly can't believe the negative reaction this game got. I love it. It'll probably be in my top 5 of 2014.

KTallguy

Banned
Just beat this game on "Original", although in some cases I got very lucky, and in others I used a faq.

I really liked the level where you
needed to draw a map, pretty much

The story was thought provoking and interesting. I liked how you met the different characters in different contexts. Very cool stuff.

Haunted

I respect authorial intent, but if your original difficulty needs to be supported with 4 new ones, all of which are easier than your original one, it's likely that you've gone overboard with the difficulty balance in your first attempt. :D

But good on them for listening to the criticism! Knowing about the update is the reason I finally snagged the game during the Halloween sale.

I love the concept, I love the style, the art, the sound design - the writing is also surprisingly good. Yes, it takes its cues from cliché standoff-ish type situations we've seen explored in other media, but it's just really well done here. Not much downtime, it's one intense and harrowing vignette after another.

Now that there's a way to actually puzzle your way through the game, I'll definitely make sure to finish this one before the GOTY deliberations.

edit: I know it's a small thing, but the chapter titles alone make me respect this game.

Edit (update): Okay, I beat Chapter 2. Turns out
it was only six days! What a relief!
I think the fact that I'm posting while playing is a testiment to how much I like and hate this game at the same time ;)
Hehe, the classic bait and switch.
They totally went for eliciting the same exasperated reactions the characters would have in that situation. "We have to survive for 20 DAYS!?" :D

Top Bottom