• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godwin: Charlottesville Alt-Right are Nazis; Keep Saying It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

There is an exception that proves every rule and Charlottesville is it.

Godwin himself says that Godwin's Law doesn't apply here.

godwinslawqvk9u.png

Source: https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/896884949634232320

Guevara

Anti-Godwin's law:

Any conversation about real goddamn Nazis will eventually ask the question: "maybe they weren't like NAZI Nazis."

Godwin's Law has always been that any online disagreement will eventually involve Nazi comparisons, not that Nazi comparisons are always inherently fallacious or incorrect.

Razorback

That's the price of Godwin's law. We use the Nazi analogy so often that when we're dealing with actual Nazis the comparison has lost some bite.

I was just thinking to myself last night that he should chime in. It's a funny fallacy but shouldn't be used to end actual discussion of Nazi's. This isn't as obvious as it should be to people.

Faynwulf

Real Nazis were a crazy destructive militaristic force tied to Germany. These guys are American born racists, dressed up in halloween costumes trying to act alt-cool. They want to be called Nazis because it invokes powerful imagery.

Thank you.
Basically this.

Steel

Banned
There is no distinction.

No, Neo-Nazis are people who have the benefit of seeing what the result of real Nazism in hindsight and think that's something worth emulating. They're even stupider than the originals, all of them are burning trash.

ALL Alt-Right are Nazis.

ALL OF THEM.

I don't care how generalized it sounds.

KKK, Neo-Nazis, Confederates, White Supremacists, TRUMP SUPPORTERS

ALL OF THEM.

The sooner this country starts making a direct association with Alt-Right morons and Nazis, the sooner the mainstream will FINALLY start vilifying them.

Alt-Right is not a fringe group - they are the BASE.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
*Neo-Nazis

That distinction should be made.

I'm with you, although many on GAF here won't agree. I'm not down with calling U.S. white supremacists Nazis. Would like to see neo-Nazi, white supremacist, white nationalist, or other terms used. But if it makes it easier for people to label/talk about white supremacists then I guess that's OK.

But to call them Nazis, well, it just doesn't make sense? The Nazi party, Hitler, high command, etc., held many beliefs that covered politics, economy, religion, etc., (and there were even numerous factions within the party) that I'm sure most U.S. white supremacists don't hold.

In the grand scheme of things, probably doesn't matter, as long as the evil is identified and dealt with.

Makonero

I'm with you, although many on GAF here won't agree. I'm not down with calling U.S. white supremacists Nazis. Would like to see neo-Nazi, white supremacist, white nationalist, or other terms used. But if it makes it easier for people to label/talk about white supremacists then I guess that's OK.

But to call them Nazis, well, it just doesn't make sense? The Nazi party, Hitler, high command, etc., held many beliefs that covered politics, economy, religion, etc., (and there were even numerous factions within the party) that I'm sure most U.S. white supremacists don't hold.

In the grand scheme of things, probably doesn't matter, as long as the evil is identified and dealt with.

giphy.gif

Faynwulf

Throwing both these groups into one bowl also doesn't help. It makes these alt-right assholes look a lot scarier than they really are. And in turn makes the Third Reich Nazis look less scary. That's at least my opinion. And trust me we germany like roll our eyes when you call your shitty white supremacists "Nazis".

If they are at least a bit like the ones here in germany, calling them Neo-Nazis very likely infuriates them. Because it makes them sound "lesser". Legend building is a big thing for these assholes, so of course they want to be compared to their "heroes".

Do you guys think you're insulting them by calling them Nazis? They obviously know what they are.

Throwing both these groups into one bowl also doesn't help. It makes these alt-right assholes look a lot scarier than they really are. And in turn makes the Third Reich Nazis look less scary. That's at least my opinion. And trust me we germany like roll our eyes when you call your shitty white supremacists "Nazis".

If they are at least a bit like the ones here in germany, calling them Neo-Nazis very likely infuriates them. Because it makes them sound "lesser". Legend building is a big thing for these assholes, so of course they want to be compared to their "heroes".

Do you guys think you're insulting them by calling them Nazis? They obviously know what they are.

A NAZI plowed his car through a crowd last weekend and murdered a woman in the process.

Is that not evil enough for us to designate them as Nazis?

Violet_0

Banned
I wonder if some of these, ahem, "protesters", while marching amongst people with Nazi and Klan insignia, ever stop and think "I don't feel comfortable with this"

MastAndo

Actual Nazis show up in the news, and there's discussion as to whether or not they should be called Nazis? Of course they should be, because they are. Wouldn't this discussion have been better suited for the past 9 months or so, when many on the left were calling every Trump voter a Nazi?

Guy.brush

No, Neo-Nazis are people who have the benefit of seeing what the result of real Nazism in hindsight and think that's something worth emulating. They're even stupider than the originals, all of them are burning trash.

Good post.
Having the hindsight of 75 years of what fascism and Nazism caused and still choosing to run that flag..
Let's say it like this: In Germany trash like those guys is called Neo-Nazis.

Nafai1123

Banned
Real Nazis were a crazy destructive militaristic force tied to Germany. These guys are American born racists, dressed up in halloween costumes trying to act alt-cool. They want to be called Nazis because it evokes powerful imagery.

I fail to see how underestimating them is useful in any way. Treat them like the terrorists they are and with no sympathy. They are Nazi's and should be treated as such.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
This is where it needs to get to, so we can stop all the left-right bullshit:

If you identify yourself as a Nazi, flying the Nazi flag, throwing up the sieg heil salute, etc., you risk forfeiting your American citizenship. You are a part of a group who's ideology is to end the lives of other American citizens. Plain and simple. If you're willing to be part of a hate group, you're willing to roll the dice.

If you're a Nazi, you're not an American. America went to war against Nazis, who were our enemies. Thousands of American soldiers died protecting the US from Nazi Germany.
You're saying that you're an enemy of the United States. You're therefore not an American.

That's not a Republican / Democrat thing. That's an American thing. Stop the political posturing and call a spade a damn spade.

ALL Alt-Right are Nazis.

ALL OF THEM.

I don't care how generalized it sounds.

KKK, Neo-Nazis, Confederates, White Supremacists, TRUMP SUPPORTERS

ALL OF THEM.

The sooner this country starts making a direct association with Alt-Right morons and Nazis, the sooner the mainstream will FINALLY start vilifying them.

Alt-Right is not a fringe group - they are the BASE.

I question this a little. Maybe we can label everyone who voted for Trump a racist, or nationalist, or whatever, but a Nazi?

26% of eligible voters in the US are Nazis?

Acyl

If I was going to guess about a distinction between nazi and neo-nazi it would be:

That the distinction is nazis are dead. We beat them in war, we executed their leaders, and we fucked their shit up good. Germany is still paying for what happened.

These new-stock are copycats/followers/coward fucks that maybe don't even deserve to be called nazis, because the nazi of WWII was a different breed of evil from the pieces of shit nazis we have today. Doesn't mean these neo-nazis are any less dangerous, idk. I call them nazis and white supremacists.

Dehnus

Glad those idiots are coming up abit short for strom troopers with their Tiki torches.
Not a Cathedral of light, more like a Cathedral of blight

Oh dear, don't compare to how Hitler ended up doing these things.. to how he started out..

In the beginning they were just marches and rallies. Trump is only in the rally state by now. It has only been like 6 months, The pictures you show are like 7 till 10 years into Hitler's rule :(.

Give that orange NAZI some time, he'll pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom