• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla X Kong New Trailer.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Saw this over the weekend.

It was shit. Actually worse than I expected, so much so that I came out of it angry at how bad it was.

The "film" is just an excuse to show some CGI monsters fight. That's it. The plot is so thin it might as well not be there. It's not even worth discussing.

My nephew and other kids in the cinema loved it and that explains a lot. This film wasn't made for me. It was made for young children who like mashing their toys together in make believe fights.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Saw this over the weekend.

It was shit. Actually worse than I expected, so much so that I came out of it angry at how bad it was.

The "film" is just an excuse to show some CGI monsters fight. That's it. The plot is so thin it might as well not be there. It's not even worth discussing.

My nephew and other kids in the cinema loved it and that explains a lot. This film wasn't made for me. It was made for young children who like mashing their toys together in make believe fights.
To be fair that's what the last two films in this series were too. Only the first Godzilla and Kong films in this universe were serious. Since then its been all about spectacle.

Coconutt

I wanted to love it because of Godzilla but just want that good, definitely the weakest of the monstervese movie. The human aspect definitely took a nose dive, most if not all the jokes were cringe, at least it had some decent fight scenes.

Just got out. It’s dumb as fuck but still love watching the monsters fight it out. I think VS was a bit better, and got to it with the fighting much sooner. We still enjoyed though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The "film" is just an excuse to show some CGI monsters fight. That's it. The plot is so thin it might as well not be there

ED6EB569-AE7C-43CB-9BD8-DBCAE488CDDF.jpg

that was the whole point of the film :p

Last edited:

Seraphym

Saw it yesterday.
Better than Vs IMO.
Not a patch on Godzilla and Skull Island.

Godzilla is barely in it.

Not sure where they go after this, Mecha King Ghidorah?

Fun movie just like GvK. The monster fights in these movies are basically modern Showa era stuff and I absolutely love it.

Only thing I didn't really like in the movie was Dan Stevens' character, whom I just found annoying. Bryan Henry's character is already the comic relief, did we really need another?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Boy, what a tonal shift from the last Godzilla movie...

jason10mm

Gold Member
Saw it yesterday.
Better than Vs IMO.
Not a patch on Godzilla and Skull Island.

Godzilla is barely in it.

I want a full on giant alien invasion, ID4 style. If the Pacific Rim tie-in is completely dead, then just have humans develop Ultraman tech or their own mechs to fight alongside 'zilla and Kong against monstrous bug eyed tentacled horror from beyond the stars.

Or Cthulhu.....hmmmmm

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
For people who like these monster movies this looks amazing. It appears to be everything they crave.

Urban

i just wanted to see monster fight and thats what i got.
The Human parts are trash but the fights were awesome

Pejo

Get ready to get your ass kicked by a chair.
Well, I just got back from seeing this in 4DX and I thought you were just kidding, but holy shit. During the action scenes, fuck paying attention to the movie. I had to hold on to the armrests to not fly off into space. Some sadistic fucker at the snacks counter sold me a full beer with no lid before I went in completely unprepared for what to expect. Still, it was pretty cool. Wish the seat motion was about at Dbox levels instead of roller coaster level, but the puffs of air and water sprays and stuff was cool. The team that makes the motion tracks are really fucking bad at their jobs. It was a total mismatch for most of the movie. Like "kong runs through jungle" I understand some shaking, but then "guy reaches for documents quickly" also gets that much shake. It was more distracting than enhancing for the movie, and I think it could be improved just by trying to match the motion and intensity on screen a little better.

Anyways, the movie itself - Fucking TERRIBLE. People in this thread said that they didn't have as much human parts, but I disagree. It was still there, and written 10x worse than the previous monsterverse stories just to make every second of it unbearable. On top of that, they did their very best to turn all of the monsters into humans this time, since they all have very human thoughts, emotions, facial expressions etc. I felt like I was watching some Monsters Inc Pixar shit instead of a Godzilla movie. The Avengers-tier group of monsters running together towards the Camera shot was embarrassing.

They also did a piss poor job of keeping the monsters at scale. Sometimes they were huge, sometimes they were relatively small. The one character states at one point that Kong is a "300 foot gorilla", then they show him tower over the great pyramid, then later he gets smashed through the pyramid, being fairly shorter. One scene, Godizlla and Ice creatura are the same size, the next scene it's 3x the size with another giant monkey riding on its back.

I won't even get started on the whole underground humans plot. The main female lead was reading entire mythos and history of the world from rocks that didn't even have any writing on them for like 15 mins.

Anyways, it was horrible, even by modern Hollywood standards. Maybe it hits extra hard because of how fantastic Minus One was, but I hope this movie bombs and ends that whole franchise. Utter shit.

It was stoopid fun.

I'm a huge fan, but I find it weird that with the slate of Toho monsters available we're being subject to these half-assed attempts of creating monsters to rival Kong and Godzilla.

Noone wanted Shimu, the "First Titan." Or Skar King.

We need Destroyah, Biollante, and Space Godzilla.

It's too soon for Mecha Ghidora. That should be the last one they do, bring in burning zilla and wrap it all up.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's pretty clear that the move is to minimize the Toho stuff as much as they can so they can eventually just focus on Kong and original creatures that they don't have to pay for.

The problem is that it doesn't really seem to be working outside of Kong and maybe Suko. Apparently after bad feedback on test screenings they had to change one of the original creatures in this new one to a licensed one (spoilers I guess but it should be obvious if you've seen it).

Top Bottom