• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
TheUsual said:
The scenario I'm thinking is that the service is gone for good and no one else is wanting to touch it.

I'm also thinking that someone like Valve could pick this up from CD Projekt and with the money it makes off of Steam, subsidize the sale prices. Then again, we don't know if they were losing alot of money, maybe because of being DRM free had something to do with it. I can hope.

This is all speculation.

Why would that be it? Impulse and Gamersgate offered many of the same games DRM free also. One possibility is the parent company is having major issues (CDProjekt's had it rough lately?)

Really, the only company that puts DRM on these old games is Steam (which is Steamworks, not the worst DRM but no DRM> less crappy DRM)

Benson

God damn, I still had a big list of games on there that I wanted to get through. Really wish I'd bought them all now. =(

Holepunch

Aw hell.

So what I'm gathering is publishers don't like the fact GoG doesn't use DRM and are pulling their support because p-p-p-piracy!

cicero

TheUsual said:
The scenario I'm thinking is that the service is gone for good and no one else is wanting to touch it.

I'm also thinking that someone like Valve could pick this up from CD Projekt and with the money it makes off of Steam, subsidize the sale prices. Then again, we don't know if they were losing alot of money, maybe because of being DRM free had something to do with it. I can hope.

This is all speculation.
Screw Valve. WTH would I want my previously DRM free titles with Valve DRM?

itxaka

Defeatist
Fuck this shit and fuck you publishers and your fucking stupid drm on 10 year old games.

Hurrr durrr no drm on games is bad for business hurrrr durrrr

Fuck you fuckers. Now what? People would have to dowload your games again and this time you wont earn shit you idiots.

Aaaarghhh so much rage right now.

TheUsual

Gold Member
arstal said:
Why would that be it? Impulse and Gamersgate offered many of the same games DRM free also. One possibility is the parent company is having major issues (CDProjekt's had it rough lately?)

Really, the only company that puts DRM on these old games is Steam (which is Steamworks, not the worst DRM but no DRM> less crappy DRM)

Always forget these two. My fault. Just a big Steam user.

So so sad. Hope the bounce back or someone else starts a similar site.

Would have been nice with a warning so i could have downloaded my games though, i have about 10 i have no local backup for :(

Foliorum Viridum said:
I went for GOG for the first time a few days ago to see how their adventure game section was and it didn't really impress me. I hoped there would be more of a selection there than Steam offered.
yeah, didn't have the lucasarts stuff. but they did have some nice ones, all the myst games, gabriel knights, sanitarium, amerzone/syberias, anotherworld, beneathasteelsky although this is free of course, brokenswords, darkfalls, gobliiins, king's quests, space quests, phantasmagorias, texmurphys, journeymanproject2, longest journey

Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, didn't have the lucasarts stuff. but they did have some nice ones, all the myst games, gabriel knights, sanitarium, amerzone/syberias, anotherworld, beneathasteelsky although this is free of course, brokenswords, darkfalls, gobliiins, king's quests, space quests, phantasmagorias, texmurphys, journeymanproject2, longest journey
The ones you list there that I'm interested in were on Steam and I've bought them already, though. I was hoping for some older/more obscure games that I can't get running on Windows 7 :)

Good GOD no!!!

I had a TON of games I needed to download in the first place on there of recent orders....hell I was about to order AoM 1! And some other stuff!

LOAD DAMN YOU SITE, LOAD!!!

I can't believe this...hope it is somehow a something.....what the hell...

I guess I've gotta be ultra vigilant for this "solution" to get all the games on my account.

This is the worst...the WORST!

Zenith

Banned
Of All Trades said:
Aside from Ubisoft's current nightmare, today's DRM is far less invasive/restrictive than most of the games of the era that GoG targeted.

You're wrong. EA online authentication. GFWL. Steam's encrypted files.

V_Ben

Banned
Son of a b*tch. GOG.com was great, I now regret buying more from them. :(

wink, gog.com, wink, gog.com, wink.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I still needed to get Raptor, Gobliiins, and Gabriel Knight. Thankfully, I have Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, and I think I have all my games I bought from them backed up. This is really sad, as they were such an awesome service and I was really excited to see what they would get with the new varying price points they were going to institute. I spent more on Steam, but I still owned about a dozen GOG games.

graywolf323

it's this whole without warning thing that's pissing me off

I bet they could have made a ton if they had given a week warning, I'm sure I'm not the only one that only shopped the sales but would have bought quite a bit at full price if I knew they were going away

not to mention having downloaded all my games before hand instead of now having to wait for their "solution"

TheUsual

Gold Member
graywolf323 said:
it's this whole without warning thing that's pissing me off

I bet they could have made a ton if they had given a week warning, I'm sure I'm not the only one that only shopped the sales but would have bought quite a bit at full price if I knew they were going away

not to mention having downloaded all my games before hand instead of now having to wait for their "solution"

Could have been a higher up's decision to shut it on the spot.

Dragmire

Shit, I loved this site. I had a ton of games on my wishlist that I was waiting to buy until I had a steadier flow of income. Too bad someone didn't buy the service from them. I'd assume that they approached Valve and others, but they probably didn't want anything to do with GOG's business model, especially when they might be able to get the games on their services with DRM.

This really fucking sucks.

charlequin said:
Their contracts probably allowed publishers to pull titles with no advance notice.
Maybe, but why would you pull instantaneously instead of waiting for final sales? Just seems really weird the abruptness of all of this.

Hari Seldon

God damnit! I bought like 7 games from them and I had a ton more that I hadn't gotten around to buying. Panzer General 2 is sex even to this day. Please put it up for another week so I can blow a benjamin or two.

Valve buy this and wrap steamworks around it if that is what it takes!

Snow

Yeah, I wish they gave some warning. I have a ton of games I was holding off on buying because I didn't have time to play them but I was planning to get from GOG. That they did shut down so suddenly does suggest that something happened besides possibly not being profitable enough.

entremet

The stupidity of media companies about DRM from music, to movies, and now to gaming is outstanding. So these publishing companies would rather have their older games rot in a vault because of fear of piracy?

It's not like the games are being sold in any other medium. They are leaving money on the table.

charlequin said:
Their contracts probably allowed publishers to pull titles with no advance notice.
codemasters definitely pulled operation flashpoint suddenly

but this also happened on gamersgate with mafia. it disappeared from sale the week steam was giving away a free copy of mafia1 with mafia2 preorders and came back there the week after hehe (steam sucks)

Hari Seldon

Snow said:
Yeah, I wish they gave some warning. I have a ton of games I was holding off on buying because I didn't have time to play them but I was planning to get from GOG. That they did shut down so suddenly does suggest that something happened besides possibly not being profitable enough.

Yeah if it was profits they would have had a "going out of business sale" and made a ton of last minute money. Hopefully someone leaks what exactly happened so I can appropriately direct my internet rage.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe, but why would you pull instantaneously instead of waiting for final sales? Just seems really weird the abruptness of all of this.
Because every second they are up there... That's more people pirating their games!

androvsky

charlequin said:

Seems unlikely they all pulled out at once, unless CD Projekt is getting ready to declare bankruptcy or something. And wasn't it a slow build-up of publishers in the first place? Activision (to me, the most likely to suddenly make a dick move) was a recent addition, so GoG would be able to survive without them. I haven't been keeping track of what current publishers own the old publishers, so is there one big one that owns the vast majority of the games GoG has?

Polk

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
contracts/paymant dispute? Or CDP wasn't paying in time?

Aon

The best of services are the ones that seem to die. My condolences to all those involved and the industry as a whole.

androvsky said:
Seems unlikely they all pulled out at once, unless CD Projekt is getting ready to declare bankruptcy or something. And wasn't it a slow build-up of publishers in the first place? Activision (to me, the most likely to suddenly make a dick move) was a recent addition, so GoG would be able to survive without them. I haven't been keeping track of what current publishers own the old publishers, so is there one big one that owns the vast majority of the games GoG has?
no, there are a bunch of small 'new owner' publishers for a lot of the old ips on there.

This is just unreal....people were mid-forum post...mid-download...hell even mid-purchase then ZAP!

I am absolutely livid...utterly damned livid. Never, NEVER could I have imagined such a sudden a turn of events as this. Hell, even logistics wise, how in the world would it have not been a better idea to do a fire sale type thing beforehand or at least a good chunk of time for everybody to hammer back on their downloads before the cutoff?!

This this...this.....AGGH

Bebpo

Banned
This sucks for them.

It also sucks for me because I have a decent size amount of games owned on their site. Even if they put up the site for a week, it's gonna be tough to download all these games within the time frame (not to mention the servers will be hammered so everything will be slooooooooooow). Plus all the hard drive space it's going to eat up having them around.

At the end of the day this reinforces my belief that no matter how sweet the deals are, you should never buy any PC DD unless it's on Steam.

vazel

Banned
What a pity they had some games you can't find anywhere anymore. I bought the Red Baron pack about a week ago. I already had a gog.com folder on my HDD all ready to buy more games. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there anywhere else that sells the Tex Murphy games digitally? Jeez I knew I should've bought Overseer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom