• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MomoPufflet said:
What a completely scummy move if true. It goes against the spirit of GOG and everything they stood for to me. Very, very disappointing.
I'd rather this was a shitty stunt rather than them closing though :(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
http://www.bankier.pl/forum/temat_re-info-od-cdp-male-podsumowanie-z-mojej-strony,8841086.html

Someone Polish who can translate this comment better, get to this, STAT!

From what we on IRC can make out, this is an indication of an outside investment being made in Optimus/CD Projekt. This was made ONE DAY after http://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/Akc...-mln-akcji-funduszom-cena-1-8-zl-2209575.html <--The indication of 3.45 million shares being sold.

SOMEONE has bought these shares, it looks to be a single investor. Who is it we haven't a clue, but I am sure it is why this situation has arisen.

Hylian7

Whyyyyyy, whyyyyyy, whyyyyyyyyy?!?!

*frantically checks to see if I still have the install .exe's for the 2 games I've bought there, Fallout 1 and 2.*

Scipius

Stop It said:
SOMEONE has bought these shares, it looks to be a single investor. Who is it we haven't a clue, but I am sure it is why this situation has arisen.

Is this one of Valve's three surprises?

No?

Yeah, I'm thinking no way this is a publicity stunt. No one could possibly be that dumb about PC gamers and the persistence of their digital download service. Since we don't know what's happening, I propose this thread should mutate into a catch-all gaming apocalypse thread. STEAM DELETED! MIYAMOTO STABBED IN BAR FIGHT! MINECRAFT CANCELLED!

graywolf323

Scipius said:
Is this one of Valve's three surprises?

No?

that'd be pretty awesome actually

anyways if it is a stunt I'm pissed but I have some confidence they'll do something to make up for it

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I demand free games in compensation for this flagrant mental abuse and emotional trauma. Demand!

Kifimbo

Since they didn't reveal the investor identity, shouldn't we conclude it's from a private company ? If it was a public company, shouldn't it reveal the investment to their shareholders immediately ?

Twig

Banned
Servizio said:
I demand free games in compensation for this flagrant mental abuse and emotional trauma. Demand!
They had (HAVE?!) a few free games on their service already!

graywolf323 said:
that'd be pretty awesome actually
Only, ONLY if they keep it DRM free.

GOG.com is objectively the better service. No DRM, lots of neat little extras and retrospectives, no permanently installed client, etc.

I love Steam for what it is, but there is a better world out there. (Luckily I'm not one of those nutsos who refuses to use Steam because it has non-invasive DRM.)

(Not that I think this is what's happening here.)

Sudden, but it's not a stunt.

Sure does make you think twice about Digital services, though. I can't imagine the type of apocalyptic shit that would happen if Steam ever shuts down.

Acosta

Well, this definitely looks more serious than a stunt. It really sucks we have to wait until Wednesday to see what's going to happen.

mango drank

ciaossu said:
:(

Bought a few games from them... guess it's good for me that I didn't buy any others.

What's up with everyone here buying the games and then waiting months to download them? :lol

I bought Fallout and Freespace 2 back when the service launched, and downloaded them right away.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kifimbo said:
Since they didn't reveal the investor identity, shouldn't we conclude it's from a private company ? If it was a public company, shouldn't it reveal the investment to their shareholders immediately ?
Yes, that would be correct if my knowledge of fiscal responsibility rules are correct.

This is either an individual or a private company, so unless if something very weird is going on, this rules out most major publishers. This entire bankier stuff is a bit of a saga by al accounts. The comments after this announcement I linked earlier are a bit strange, some vitriolic, some look to be accusing someone at Optimus of insider trading (But my translator may be failing here).

All I know is that this is becoming scarier the more I dig into this. I may just stop before I get too deep, after all, all will become clear on Wednesday at the latest.

Instro

Would be interesting if Steam or D2D bought them out. I mean they couldn't have been doing that bad, the site seemed relatively popular.

Am I the only one who read the announcement and took it more so as:

"We can't keep running the site in it's current form because of butthurt publishers, so stay tuned as we launch a successor."

Instead of:

"We are closing down the site forever now. Sorry, bye."

?

Minsc said:
Steam's not safe forever. Gabe is mortal, and money corrupts, even if Gabe is immune to selling, doesn't mean the next in line won't want a 100M+ or whatever it's worth.

Steam going public and undergoing huge policy changes, or possibly a monthly subscription fee would certainly upset a good number of people just as much or more than it ending.

Didn't they confirm multipel times that if STEAM went under they'd let you be able to delete the DRM to all the games you purchased on your account?

AdrianWerner said:
People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

Normally I'd go :lol, but from knowing who you are I'd say you're a reliable source.

brohmbel said:
What's up with everyone here buying the games and then waiting months to download them? :lol

I probably played 10% of the games that I bought in Steam.

It's all about "oh, what a deal! bought. I'll play it when I'll finish the game that I'm currently playing".

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
brohmbel said:

I bought Fallout and Freespace 2 back when the service launched, and downloaded them right away.

I download and install when I buy them, but I never bothered keeping the installation files on my HD, due to lack of space. Making a backukp of everything was on my to-do list.

Kifimbo

Flying_Phoenix said:

"We can't keep running the site in it's current form because of butthurt publishers, so stay tuned as we launch a successor."

Instead of:

?

Yeah. But they are also pissed at the upper management (Optimus?) according to the Twitter message.

brohmbel said:

For some it was space issues at one time or another, then life got things sidetracked. Others just trusted them just enough to not be in a great hurry on it. Still others were too busying playing what they already got or something else to think to download and install something new.

I pretty much fit into all of the above and then some----but still! This is not a wise move no matter how I look at it, especially if this is some bizarre stunt.

Wonder what they're going to say at Epic Battle Axe. They usually give a free game from GOG at the end of each of their podcasts.

No more sweet ass GOG action anymore, eh Daniel Keyser?

Minsc

Gold Member
Acosta said:
Can we cut the crap about the Steam discussion for once?, I'm sick of seeing it in every PC related thread and if GoG is closed for real this is definitely not the place for it.

I didn't start it, and you're hardly one to be calling me out for it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If it's a stunt, here is what I'm thinking:

1) Gog returns as Great Outstanding Games, offers new games as well as older titles. New games may or may not have a client-based DRM system.

2) "We've heard your concerns about digital distribution. What happens if we go under, randomly, on a Sunday of all days? That's why we're now offering a physical disk with every download. Just pay 5.99 for shipping and processing.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Re-reading the letter you could argue that they could be launching gog 2.0 in the near future tough the words "We're closing down the service" seem pretty final, i would be pissed if this turn outs to be a stunt but at the same time i can forgive that if it means that gog gets to live on, man i'm so confused right now. EvolveTom come here and tell us the truth!

androvsky

Flying_Phoenix said:

Instead of:

?

You could read it as such, but completely shutting down the entire site with no warning doesn't sound like a reasonable course of action in that situation. Even a shitty marketing stunt would make more sense.

x3sphere

Why would they completely close down the site leaving customers without access to their digital purchases? I realize the official site denotes that they're "working on it," but this is unacceptable IMO. Why wasn't a failover server setup for existing customers? Something like that should have been implemented from day one.. there's honestly no excuse.

If this is a marketing stunt, then they've lost my business.

androvsky

x3sphere said:
Why would they completely close down the site leaving customers without access to their digital purchases? I realize the official site denotes that they're "working on it," but this is unacceptable IMO. Why wasn't a failover server setup for existing customers? Something like that should have been implemented from day one.. there's honestly no excuse.

If this is a marketing stunt, then they've lost my business.

They probably do have a failover server, but it can't do much if management pulls the plug on it too.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Acosta said:
I'm not being obnoxious, I'm just asking people to respect this thread and what's about. It´s not much to ask.

Well that's never going to happen as long as Joseph Merrick and arstal are around, they'd never give up a chance to troll Steam.

Twig

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Didn't they confirm multipel times that if STEAM went under they'd let you be able to delete the DRM to all the games you purchased on your account?
Everyone says that, and while I at one time would've sworn that I saw it from an official source, it is no longer present on the internet in any fashion whatsoever. I long ago began questioning my own memory on the matter.

If you can find such a quote ONCE, let alone multiple times, then you will be a Hero of the Web.

Spire said:
Well that's never going to happen as long as Joseph Merrick and arstal are around, they'd never give up a chance to troll Steam.
Basically.

And I do so love them for it. :3

gerg

Gexecuter said:
Re-reading the letter you could argue that they could be launching gog 2.0 in the near future tough the words "We're closing down the service" seem pretty final, i would be pissed if this turn outs to be a stunt but at the same time i can forgive that if it means that gog gets to live on, man i'm so confused right now. EvolveTom come here and tell us the truth!

It's possible that the letter is laden with hints about a new service - it talks about keeping GOG "the way it is" and in "its current form", how the idea behind the site "isn't gone forever", and how "new challenges await". Even the talk of a "solution to allow everyone to re-download their games" might be considered a hint about something new.

Acosta

Joseph Merrick said:
Update: GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, "As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions :)"

Yes, no need at all :p

gerg said:
It's possible that the letter is laden with hints about a new service - it talks about keeping GOG "the way it is" and in "its current form", how the idea behind the site "isn't gone forever", and how "new challenges await". Even the talk of a "solution to allow everyone to re-download their games" might be considered a hint about something new.

I see it that way, but man, I can't imagine what is going to happen.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else had the crazy though that Valve is buying gog and that is what this whole thing is about? If that were to happen i would actually not be pleased because i like gog's way of doing things better. I'm so confused right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom