• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Yeah I went and googled the AGD games and saw that II and III are not remakes of the original II and III. Are the stories so different that IV wouldn't have any continuity with the AGD versions of II and III?

Well, there wasn't much story there to begin with (especially in II) so all the same basics of the original story are still there, it's just expanded on. I don't think there would be any continuity errors in relation to later games.

I do feel weird about the vastly different puzzles though :O

And in II I thought the gem door thing was weird :/

Is it actually worthwhile getting Thief from GOG? I can get Thief 1, 2 and 3 from Amazon for less than £5, whereas Thief 1 alone is about £7 on GOG. I'd likely have to use the community patches to get it to work but it looks like you're best off using the patches on the GOG version anyway.

mclem

When arevthey gonna sign Lucasarts? I want my damn tie fighter and grim fandango.

Given how they've handled things in the past, I suspect the answer is "As soon as Lucasarts says yes"

I wonder if Star Wars would be on the table if they did. On the one hand, it's a licensed property with extra difficulties in getting the rights. On the other hand, though, it's Lucasarts. Just how much of a tie do they have to the mothership these days?

After some googling it seems it's been brought up a billion times on lucasarts forums and the response is always that lucasarts will not release their games on a drm-free platform.

I really wanna talk to some of the business people that make these decisions.

After some googling it seems it's been brought up a billion times on lucasarts forums and the response is always that lucasarts will not release their games on a drm-free platform.

I really wanna talk to some of the business people that make these decisions.

It's not like they need to worry about older games. How else would they make money out of them? It's a win-win scenario as far as I'm concerned. Some publicity, AND make money out of an otherwise idle backlog.

epmode

Dark Forces is on Steam as a DOSBox game. It's 100% DRM-free. It can be copied to and run from other computers as many times as you'd like, even without a Steam installation. A great deal of LucasArts' potential GOG games would behave the same way on Steam.

Idiot management IMO.

I can't find any official response that says that though. I just find tons of threads with lots of people asking and one guy or two (with really high post counts) sighing, saying they've had this discussion a bajillion times, and that it won't happen because it's drm free. Then people bash steam.

If people actually read emails nowadays I wouldn't mind typing one up and sending it to lucasarts. But I doubt it would do anything and I'd just get a generic thanks for your interest response.

epmode

I can't see them holding out for another year. Not when GOG will have signed every other relevant publisher, big guns and all.

wazoo

Gog at the end of the year will have probably more than 450 games in catalogue. LucasArts will sign one day or the other, or Gog will start to fill more and more Less Than Good Old Games to get their schedules up.

mclem

When they did their Big Five tease prior to EA - the list was EA, LA, Squeenix, Microsoft and Take 2 - I think the actual announcement was that EA was now on GoG, *and* I think they added that two were well in progress, hoped to be done by the end of the year. That would suggest that one of the remaining three is very close to announcement

Thief Gold or just Thief? Gold is a lot harder to find than the original release and it has a bunch of extra content.

Hmm, not sure- this is the link anyway.

Edit- yes it is Thief Gold, says on the cover.

71iBR0sEveL._AA1500_.jpg

epmode

Good deal. I wish I saw that back when I bought Gold a year ago.

Of course, I'd still get it on GOG just to have a DD version.

ctrayne

I kind of wish they would just dump entire series at a time, i.e. Thief 1-3, Hitman 1-4, etc. The wait for Thief II is killing me.

I own the disc version, but still, take my money, GOG.

If the Spider-Man thing is an actual hint, I'm hoping for Tony Hawk 2 (which had Spider-Man as a character to play as). Would be awesome, game was amazing, Probably the best in the series.

DagsJT

Is there a way of forcing the currency to Pounds? Even though I'm in the UK, it still shows all prices in Dollars.

Rufus

Is there a way of forcing the currency to Pounds? Even though I'm in the UK, it still shows all prices in Dollars.
You have to change your location in your account settings. They purposely don't set the currency based in IP (The Witcher 2 is the exemption).

Minsc

Gold Member
So there we have it, two of the highest regarded stealth games, unmatched today, easily obtained once more for cheap with minimal patching (or if you're not fussy none), mainly just to enhance the graphics to support 1080p widescreen over the original 4:3 in release. Not sure if we'll see the third on GOG, but it's easy enough to find on other services so no big loss if not.

No more excuses left now, time for me to try the entire series out soon.

mclem

so, still Eidos games.

It would be fun to have the total number of Eidos games they signed.

They're in a weird position right now because they've announced one signing while they're still releasing items from another. I suspect we might see The 7th Guest on Thursday because I doubt they'd want more than a week between signing announcement and first release.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if the "We don't know the order of releases" might be that they always had 7th Guest ready to launch, wanted to launch Thief 2 today but weren't sure if they could get it working adequately on modern systems in time.

Or, indeed, vice-versa.

wazoo

They do not feel in hurry for 7th guest. The fact that both Trilobyte games are already on Dotemu lower the "woaw" of this announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom