• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Don't get your hopes up, PumpkinPie:

The 11th Hour

On the bright side, at least it's one of the games we've been expecting, which must mean Anachronox is just around the corner! BELIEVE!

wazoo

it's not only decent, it's great. probably the best commandos clone. it's too bad they didn't go 6 dollars for it, but 10 dollars is understandable enough since that's about the same price it is on dotemu, gamersgate and steam. aka. everywhere else.

post 2000 games are most likely to be 10$

I would like Anachronox.

It is almost impossible to find nowadays.

I just bought it a few weeks back as it's still in print in the UK, only thing is it doesn't run on Windows 7. I knew I couldn't run it when I bought it, I like to have it... just in case.

daviyoung

Banned
I just bought it a few weeks back as it's still in print in the UK, only thing is it doesn't run on Windows 7. I knew I couldn't run it when I bought it, I like to have it... just in case.

Yeh, it's on the Sold Out label. If GOG manage to get it to work on Win 7 then they're wizards.

CiSTM

Banned

I'm 97% I have played it on Windows 7. I just downloaded some fan patch and it worked well. It could have been playing it on Vista but I really doubt that since I only had vista for like month or two. Or maybe it was really on Vista, my memory is playing tricks on me :/

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I really, really hate the people who prevent System Shock 2 from appearing on GOG. I want to play it again so badly. GOG would guarantee Win7 compatibility.

fallout

I really, really hate the people who prevent System Shock 2 from appearing on GOG. I want to play it again so badly. GOG would guarantee Win7 compatibility.
I wish there was a law about hording copyright or something. If it isn't readily available for sale, you lose your rights to sell it.

I have no idea how you would quantify that or even enforce it, but it really pains me to know that all of this great stuff is locked up in a vault somewhere. The scary thing is that a bunch of it will probably never see the light of day.

mclem

I wish there was a law about hording copyright or something. If it isn't readily available for sale, you lose your rights to sell it.

I have no idea how you would quantify that or even enforce it, but it really pains me to know that all of this great stuff is locked up in a vault somewhere. The scary thing is that a bunch of it will probably never see the light of day.

Much as I dislike the situation... they want money for something they own. There's nothing particularly unethical about that.

wazoo

Yeh, it's on the Sold Out label. If GOG manage to get it to work on Win 7 then they're wizards.

Not really. There are unofficial patchs for the game. As soon as you get the game installed on XP or W98, they copy the files, apply the patches, repackage the installer and they got the solution.

It works for most of the games. GOG market is people who can not get past the "Insert CDROM to install" message, which bugs for most W98 games.

fallout

Much as I dislike the situation... they want money for something they own. There's nothing particularly unethical about that.
Oh, I know. It's just frustrating because there are many things out there that I would be willing to pay money for that I am incapable of because some company is not willing to sell it.

ctrayne

Oh, I know. It's just frustrating because there are many things out there that I would be willing to pay money for that I am incapable of because some company is not willing to sell it.

Precisely. What a waste for one of gaming's greatest treasures to be locked up like that. Why couldn't it be something like Bodie Miller's Alpine Skiing locked away in copyright hell instead?

Also, the last few weeks have been bumming me out on GoG. Where' Thief III? Hitman III + IV? Anachronox?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Star Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Michigan-based Meadowbrook Insurance Group Inc.

ah..... ok

arnoldschwarzenegger-cwxv1.gif

wazoo

Not very much related, but I started playing with new versions of DOSBOX and the GOG releases of Sierra games, changing the binaries and configs.

Early Sierra games do get wonderful sound using the MT32 emuation avaialble now in DosBox. In fact, now in DosBox, they even have Glide and Direct3D and Win98 running !!

mclem

Don't get your hopes up, PumpkinPie:

Cryostatis

Looks intruiging, although the metacritic suggests middling quality. Seems to have some big fans, though.

Edit: Hadn't noticed the date. I guess this has to fall within their 'newer games' remit. Is that now the newest title on the service?

Cryostasis is definitely worth playing. I got it from a Steam sale and I very much enjoyed the experience. You might want to wait for a sale though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cryostasis is pretty nice. It's a really slow sort of psychological action horror first person brawler. It's got a really interesting colour palette maybe closest to John Carpenter's The Thing (the bright whites of the snow + the dark of the darkness). I never finished it in the end but I had a great time with the maybe half of the game that I played. Pretty steep sysreqs for some of the effects, so keep that in mind if you are used to just buying willy nilly on GOG and not having to worry about that stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cryostasis is pretty nice. It's a really slow sort of psychological action horror first person brawler. It's got a really interesting colour palette maybe closest to John Carpenter's The Thing (the bright whites of the snow + the dark of the darkness). I never finished it in the end but I had a great time with the maybe half of the game that I played. Pretty steep sysreqs for some of the effects, so keep that in mind if you are used to just buying willy nilly on GOG and not having to worry about that stuff.

Oh man you missed out if you never saw the ending.

Also im recommending Cyrostasis be bolded. Its a great, unique game.

wazoo

It is also an example of GOG expanding in the modern digital space and a good thing for the anti-DRM community.

Cryostasis seemed pretty cool when I tried it last year, but my old C2D clearly couldn't handle that game. It ran at <25 fps, no matter which settings I tried. So, yeah, it's definitely not optimized at all.

gabbo

Cryostasis seemed pretty cool when I tried it last year, but my old C2D clearly couldn't handle that game. It ran at <25 fps, no matter which settings I tried. So, yeah, it's definitely not optimized at all.

That might not have been just your C2D, the game is notorious for chugging on all manner of systems. That said, it's definitely worth checking out. I may double dip on this even, just to see what other extras they have.
Loved the philosophical aspects of the games story, and it did psychological horror exceptionally well. Soviet ice-breakers are serious business.

mclem

It's GoG. Always consider the possibility of them messing with your mind. They never lie, but oh my word they like to mislead.

Lyonaz

Lol at the facebook poll. For the upcoming game release with an A.
The Answer : System Shock 2 doesn't start with the letter A is currently leading.

Come on GOG, SS2 and Homeworld please!

mclem

Lol at the facebook poll. For the upcoming game release with an A.
The Answer : System Shock 2 doesn't start with the letter A is currently leading.

Come on GOG, SS2 and Homeworld please!

My theory: It's Daikatana.

"You'll bet your boots". What does that mean? Well, booting is when your computer starts up, and if you lose a bet, you lose the stake. So if you have Daikatana, and 'bet your boots', you lose the start, making Aikatana - which begins with A!

I really ought to have written for 3-2-1.

mclem

*TWO* releases tomorrow:

gogcom said:
Two new releases tomorrow: Cyberpunk Sleuth and Flying Warfare. Can you guess what it is?

Someone get a sedative handy, I think whatever happens tomorrow some people are going to explode.

(Flying Warfare? A flight sim, I assume? If it's part of the EIDOS deal, what'd that suggest?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom