• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

Today's release was delayed because of some "legal and licensing difficulties" (See my post above for source). It may well be that GOG intended to release Blood Omen today, but had to switch that in the last minute for Soul Reaver. I wonder what happened.
Silicon Knights happened maybe?

The Myst IP has some unusual stuff on the go. Ubisoft published III and IV for Cyan. They're also not on Steam, and Myst V was released well after Myst/Riven/Uru. You might be stuck with trying to pick up retail copies if you're interested, sorry.

Ubi also published V originally. Wonder if Cyan only got the rights to V back but not III or IV.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
The Myst IP has some unusual stuff on the go. Ubisoft published III and IV for Cyan. They're also not on Steam, and Myst V was released well after Myst/Riven/Uru. You might be stuck with trying to pick up retail copies if you're interested, sorry.

This made me wonder...
zyXec.jpg

was this a wider release or was it only available in my country? It contains all 5 Myst games as well as the Uru Chronicles, CD with soundtrack, a bonus disc and over 500 pages long guide to all the games.

Zizbuka

Banned
Soul Reaver is good, but I have owned it twice. Would have preferred Blood Omen.

I could be way off, and I'm at work so I can't check, but I thought Blood Omen was on the legit abandonware sites a few years ago. I remember playing it, and I don't pirate. Maybe it was a demo. Hmmm........

Wrayfield

This made me wonder...

was this a wider release or was it only available in my country? It contains all 5 Myst games as well as the Uru Chronicles, CD with soundtrack, a bonus disc and over 500 pages long guide to all the games.

Where can I order this online? Empik, perhaps? I'm not up to date with (online) retailers in Polska.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I could be way off, and I'm at work so I can't check, but I thought Blood Omen was on the legit abandonware sites a few years ago. I remember playing it, and I don't pirate. Maybe it was a demo. Hmmm........
I found it, but it doesn't work. First, there are no story FMVs, then it won't play past the bartender's first line in the opening scene, so you never gain control and have to force exit out of the program. If they figured out how to give it a GOG compatibility servicing and whatever legal issues they needed to sell it, I'd gladly pay $6.

Minsc

Gold Member
I did when I played it on my Win 98 machine back in the day.

You're right, it does work, I mistakenly read the "it doesn't work well" to be it doesn't work, as people started talking about using profiler software and such. There may be be issues depending on what type of gamepad you have, there's a few of impressions in the thread at GOG.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nox would be more tempting if it weren't locked to 30fps. Syndicate... hmmmm...

Dice said:
Soul Reaver is good, but I have owned it twice. Would have preferred Blood Omen.
Speaking for myself, Soul Reaver 2 would be more interesting. It has less exposure than Blood Omen and Soul 1.

But i wonder how it aged and if i could tolerate that type of game again.

PaulLFC

I was waiting on a sale for Nox personally. Bought. And Syndicate as well, to go along with it.
Think those are the two I'll be picking up as well. Shame Dungeon Keeper isn't on sale, it's not expensive as it is obviously, but since other EA games are on sale, I'd hoped it would have been.

mclem

Weekend deal - These select EA games 50% off, or $2.99 each:

Crusader: No Regret™
Crusader: No Remorse™
Lands of Lore™ 1+2
Magic Carpet™
Nox™
Syndicate™

Heck of a good promo weekend this weekend, I see. Only one I don't already have is Syndicate, but I'll be rectifying that.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I bought Lands of Lore 1+2 to fill my Grimrock void. I'm guessing I can't change the key bindings for it? (I want to use WSAD to move instead of the arrow keys)

I really do like Magic Carpet, but sometimes I wish a source port or something existed, since there are a great many issues with it... Game speed being tied to framerate being the biggest (so it'll be obscenely fast one minute but rather sluggish another), which I know they fixed with Magic Carpet 2, but the controls are also rather annoying (Y-axis on the mouse is inverted and you can't change it? Weak).

epmode

I bought Lands of Lore 1+2 to fill my Grimrock void. I'm guessing I can't change the key bindings for it? (I want to use WSAD to move instead of the arrow keys)
If it's a DOSBox game, you can remap any key using an in-game overlay. I think it's one of the F keys?

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks for the info, guys.

No clue, I've played it all of 5 minutes.

Lands of Lore 1 is great! Buy it for sure if you like dungeon crawlers. Compared to Grimrock, it has great music, less puzzles, more outdoors, more story (including VA), more items (worse UI for them though), and some pleasant animations for a 2D entry in the genre, but Grimrock's 3D beats it.

One of the great things about LoL is you can click on just about everything and get a little description. Shops, and set pieces feature short animations, it's a rather charming game, much more so if you played it back on release too.

Dave Long

Banned
Lands of Lore 1 is great! Buy it for sure if you like dungeon crawlers. Compared to Grimrock, it has great music, less puzzles, more outdoors, more story (including VA), more items (worse UI for them though), and some pleasant animations for a 2D entry in the genre, but Grimrock's 3D beats it.

One of the great things about LoL is you can click on just about everything and get a little description. Shops, and set pieces feature short animations, it's a rather charming game, much more so if you played it back on release too.

Plus: Patrick Stewart!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Weekend deal - These select EA games 50% off, or $2.99 each:

Crusader: No Regret™
Crusader: No Remorse™
Lands of Lore™ 1+2
Magic Carpet™
Nox™
Syndicate™

It's like staring at a section of my gaming shelf in the mid 90's. Except Nox, never played that one.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm bummed. Installed Soul Reaver, got the "reaver.exe has stopped working" error. Added the exe to DPE, still won't run. Had to leave for work, play with it tomorrow.

It starts with a settings screen, didn't look like many choices though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom