• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alan Wake! Buy this, everyone! Great price for a GREAT game, DRM-free!

My bank generally hates GoG forcing me to use paypal, which really sucks.

I would buy more GoG things if this wasn't true.

I've asked them. They are like janky euro digital download charge? No.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My bank generally hates GoG forcing me to use paypal, which really sucks.

I would buy more GoG things if this wasn't true.

I've asked them. They are like janky euro digital download charge? No.

You could try transferring say, $40 into your paypal account and using the float to pay GOG. Might help things.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How good is the DLC for Wake? I played the game on Xbox and it was fun enough, not sure 15€ is worth it for DLC only.

If you don't own the game, I certainly wouldn't buy it here and now just to play the DLC (I suspect the game will be on sale for less later on, such as around Christmas). But I liked the DLC at least as much as the game itself and I would recommend anyone who plays the game to try the DLC. Certainly worth your time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i thought alan wake was usually sold for around 5-10 bucks on pc

Naw man, it just came out the other month at $30. This is a hell of a deal, no matter how you cut it.

Silphatos

Banned
Some people might even consider not to play a game only because it's not on Steam. I'm not like that, I'm a DRM-free and GOG lover even though I have more than 300 games on Steam. So this is an amazing news for me. I'm hoping there are more DRM-free AAA games coming to GOG soon.

vitacola

Bought it instantly after a friend told me about it. The only downside is the missing soundtrack :( Going to download it at the uni though. At home it's a pain in the ass ;)
Thank you, GOG for the DRM-free love!

Certainly not in any way that would be exposed outside the game, but I imagine it's possible that the game itself could track them internally; some games do.

That's all I want. I don't care if anyone knows my achievements or my gaming score. I just like trying to get them while playing.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So Alan Wake is $15 on Steam as well. I think this is the pivotal moment in my life that determines my loyalty to GOG. A year ago I wouldn't even have thought about it: I'd get the game on Steam. But no sir, this time the GOG version it is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Alan Wake is $15 on Steam as well. I think this is the pivotal moment in my life that determines my loyalty to GOG. A year ago I wouldn't even have thought about it: I'd get the game on Steam. But no sir, this time the GOG version it is.

Honestly, wise choice - I mean, you can put it in your Steam list, and...there you go. I understand wanting to have everything in one place, but at the expense of DRM?

Lothars

Honestly, wise choice - I mean, you can put it in your Steam list, and...there you go. I understand wanting to have everything in one place, but at the expense of DRM?
The type of DRM is not a big deal though, I buy lot's from gog but I would buy Alan Wake on Steam before I buy it on gog.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I find the soundtrack bonus more appealing and in my experience Steam's DRM has caused about as many issues as GOG's lack of DRM for me, which is none.

vitacola

I find the soundtrack bonus more appealing and in my experience Steam's DRM has caused about as many issues as GOG's lack of DRM for me, which is none.
Well, just wait for the day when EA (or any other major publisher) decides to kill all Steam licenses of their games or the day Valve is no more. Nobody guarantees that Valve have the right to or will deliver a patch which frees the games on Steam from the DRM. It's maybe a worst case scenario, but I personally prefer DRM-free downloads.

Mr_Zombie

From GOG's facebook feed:
Alan Wake's American Nightmare will be available for pre-orders tomorrow!
The game will be available 10% off for $17.99, but if you purchased Alan Wake on GOG.com, the second part is 25% off--that's $14.99 for a game you are not allowed to miss.

Yay :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice prices, especially if you're not paying in dollars and get screwed over on Steam etc.

The game's not that great though, I'm not getting the DLC after finishing the main.

I hope these new releases also don't reduce their efforts for older stuff!

it's a thing now. he just started the myth. hehe

Go to gog.com and check out the rollercoaster tycoon announce thread....

I'd triple dip on the title, having already owned it on physical media and steam, just to support GOG if it was priced sanely. $9.99? Deal. But any higher is just stoopid.

I would imagine the majority of people are in the same boat. They already own it, or can find it a lot cheaper.

Eusis

Go to gog.com and check out the rollercoaster tycoon announce thread....

I'd triple dip on the title, having already owned it on physical media and steam, just to support GOG if it was priced sanely. $9.99? Deal. But any higher is just stoopid.

I would imagine the majority of people are in the same boat. They already own it, or can find it a lot cheaper.
I don't think that's really a stupid price at all, though you might be stupid to buy again above $10 if you didn't care about it THAT much, and possibly even if you did care that much but had it on Steam already. Unlike Rollercoaster Tycoon Alan Wake isn't exactly old, even when factoring out the age of the port.

Persona7

Banned
Will bite on both Alan Wake titles. I almost always choose gog over steam because I can archive the gog games anyway I like without a issue , so this is a no brainer.

Dommo

Oh snap. Steam has lowered their Alan Wake price for the week to compete with GOG. This is getting exciting. GOG could become a real competitor.

GOG version for me. More extras, don't care about achievements and while Steam Cloud is nice, GameSave Manager + Dropbox is almost as good.

MrOogieBoogie

Why is the GOG Downloader so janky?

Often while downloading a game I'll pull up the window to see it stuck with "online - 0 KB/s."

And then it'll automatically resume. It does this repeatedly so it takes forever to actually download stuff.

EDIT: Okay, looks like my GOG Downloader was severely out of date. Downloaded the latest one, but now when I try to open it I get the "This program has stopped working..." message, or whatever it says.

Thoughts?

I've never had problems with the GOG downloader. Well, it doesn't work in Wine anymore, but who cares.

Make sure your .NET framework is up to date, because that's what it's using these days. Run Windows Update or go find a redistributable on Microsoft's site.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh snap. Steam has lowered their Alan Wake price for the week to compete with GOG. This is getting exciting. GOG could become a real competitor.

Just caught this. I don't own Alan Wake on GOG, but it's still only a touch over one dollar compared to Steam. I'll definitely buy American Nightmare through GOG. It's really cool that Remedy are able to self-publish their PC ports, but unfortunately it's not something that happens often these days.

Why is the GOG Downloader so janky?

Often while downloading a game I'll pull up the window to see it stuck with "online - 0 KB/s."

And then it'll automatically resume. It does this repeatedly so it takes forever to actually download stuff.

EDIT: Okay, looks like my GOG Downloader was severely out of date. Downloaded the latest one, but now when I try to open it I get the "This program has stopped working..." message, or whatever it says.

Thoughts?

Why not just download as a straight file?

I'm really tempted to double dip on alan wake for PC... This is tough.

MrOogieBoogie

I've never had problems with the GOG downloader. Well, it doesn't work in Wine anymore, but who cares.

Make sure your .NET framework is up to date, because that's what it's using these days. Run Windows Update or go find a redistributable on Microsoft's site.

.NET Framework seems to be up to date. Still experiencing the issue. This is really strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom