• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

USSR Invades! War & Strategy Games 60% Off @ GOG.com
  • King's Bounty: The Legend
  • UFO: Afterlight
  • UFO: Aftermath
  • UFO: Aftershock
  • Fantasy Wars
  • Cryostasis
  • IL-2 Sturmovik™: 1946
  • S2: Silent Storm Gold Edition
  • Blitzkrieg Anthology
  • Blitzkrieg 2 Anthology
  • Etherlords
  • Cossacks Anthology
  • American Conquest + Fight Back
  • Heroes of Annihilated Empires
  • Perimeter
  • Soldiers: Heroes of World War II

A little under 4 hours left on this sale!@#

I ended up skipping a couple of things from the Amazon Black Friday sales and pulled the trigger on:

• S2: Silent Storm Gold Edition
  • Blitzkrieg Anthology
  • Blitzkrieg 2 Anthology
  • Etherlords
  • Cossacks Anthology
  • American Conquest + Fight Back

I figured why not for Cossacks Anthology and American Conquest + Fight Back, I almost bought them last Christmas during the Steam Holiday sale, and it was $5 for both. Now I've got them cheaper and on my preferred digital distribution service. Youtube videos won me over on Blitzkrieg Anthology. I might regret Blitzkrieg 2 Anthology though given the comments I have seen around about the changes they made from the first, more Zerg-like tactics, less emphasis on the tactical sim side of things. S2: Silent Storm Gold Edition has been on my wishlist since it was released on GOG, can't say no to WW2 meets X-Com. Etherlords... I always wanted to play this cross between HOMM and Magic card game, I hope it turns out well whenever I finally get to it.

Catshade

A chance to win a free Realms of Arkania 3 code from GOG by participating in their download speed test.

As our community grows around the world, it is very important for us to make sure that your download speeds are as good as possible, in every country and for every provider. We're currently benchmarking multiple download location and servers, and to make sure that we have a good sample of worldwide results, we do need your help.

Below you will find a simple test that requires just one click and won't take more than 2 minutes of your time to complete:

http://www.gog.com/downloads_quality

We highly appreciate your help here. And as a bonus, for every test completed, you get a chance to win a free code for Realms of Arkania 3 - so re-tryring the test from another computer or location increases your chance for the freebie. :)

jb1234

Mwahahaha! Got the code on my first run. I'm not sure if I'll ever play the game but it's always fun to increase my GOG shelf. ;)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got it on my second try. Now I have received RoA 1-3 for free. They are supposedly very difficult. I wonder if I will ever play them.

Persona7

Banned
Do I need to be logged in for a chance to win a code?

Reason I ask is because the site won't let me log on right now for some reason and I've run the tests several times already.

Tizoc

Thanks for the heads up on Realms of Arkania 3~
...WTF is Realms of Arkania 3?

...and is Primordia that PnC game that's in Greenlight status over on Steam?

jb1234

Anyone know much about The Real Texas? I'm really intrigued by it and will probably end up getting it on GOG if it doesn't get green lit.

I'd never heard of it but the reviews (but user and critic) are good enough to have me tempted to pick it up myself...

I'd never heard of it but the reviews (but user and critic) are good enough to have me tempted to pick it up myself...

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to take the GOG reviews given that nearly every game gets a 5 star rating every time. I'd heard rumblings about it a while back so I might just drop the money on it when I get paid.

jb1234

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to take the GOG reviews given that nearly every game gets a 5 star rating every time. I'd heard rumblings about it a while back so I might just drop the money on it when I get paid.

Yeah, GOG reviews aren't terribly helpful unless the game is so awful that everyone agrees on it. ;) There's a few for Texas on metacritic that might be helpful to you.

Perkel

Banned

rarely game has 5/5 score. it is maybe 5% of whole catalgog.

http://www.gog.com/news/announcement_gogcom_now_supports_windows_8_officially

90% of GOG.com games officially supported in Windows 8

A lot of you have been asking recently if we’re going to support Windows 8 officially. Our answer has been, “let’s wait for the release of the OS and we’ll look into it and see.” Well, Windows 8 has been out for a while, and as such we’ve had time to look into it. We have good news, and we bet you’re never gonna guess what it is!

Windows 8 support? Oh. Wow. Yeah. Good guess. How did you--wow. That was a good guess.

So as of today we're adding official Windows 8 support for most of the games in GOG.com catalog. There are currently 431 titles fixed, tested, and reported to be working properly under Microsoft's new OS. Note that most of these have not had the master builds updated, so you shouldn’t need to redownload the installer or anything. Some of the titles, our build ninjas performed their usual magic on, and they’ll work now in Windows 8--and we’re even adding Windows 7 support to a few. We’ll also be adding more Windows 8 games as time goes by and we’ve got time to apply some fixes to more of the classic games in the catalog.

We’re bringing the best games in history to the new OS, If you’ve got any questions about it, let us know in the comments below.

cicero

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is currently $7.49 (75% off) as one of the daily sales on Steam. The sale is good for about another 45 hours, as of this post. Apparently the Redeem your free backup PC copy of The Witcher or The Witcher 2 on GOG is still up and working as well. So only $7.49 for a copy of The Witcher 2 on both GOG and Steam. Pretty fantastic deal.

About nine hours left on the fantastic Pick 5 & Pay $10 Promotion. Get in on it while you can!

Guessing you have to install Witcher 2 on Steam to get your key? I just now redeemed my ancient Witcher 1 retail copy with the $49.99 sticker intact, thanks. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is currently $7.49 (75% off) as one of the daily sales on Steam. The sale is good for about another 45 hours, as of this post. Apparently the Redeem your free backup PC copy of The Witcher or The Witcher 2 on GOG is still up and working as well. So only $7.49 for a copy of The Witcher 2 on both GOG and Steam. Pretty fantastic deal.

About nine hours left on the fantastic Pick 5 & Pay $10 Promotion. Get in on it while you can!

Ah, I didn't know you could redeem your keys on GOG. Cool!

Bulzeeb

well I guess I'll buy the witcher 2 then

Guessing you have to install Witcher 2 on Steam to get your key? I just now redeemed my ancient Witcher 1 retail copy with the $49.99 sticker intact, thanks. lol

Just go into detail view and on the right you'll see CD Key, click that and copy it from the popup and you're golden.

Minsc

Gold Member
Release: Screamer 2. I remember being stunned at how good it looked at the time. I also remember it being a great little racer in the Ridge Racer mould. I *also* remember it being an absolute pain to get running on anything modern, so I suspect I'll be picking it up!

I'm not sure if this is even the best video of it in action, but for a 1996 DOS game that looks really good! The snow level looks real nice too, but the video of it is much choppier, so it doesn't show as well.

mclem

What I think was a revelation for me at the time was the use of little incidental animations just to add a little life to the tracks; you can see it in the flocks of birds occasionally in the video you posted. It helps immensely.

'course, that sort of thing's two-a-penny now, but back then it was new and exciting, at least for me.

Shaneus

Release: Screamer 2. I remember being stunned at how good it looked at the time. I also remember it being a great little racer in the Ridge Racer mould. I *also* remember it being an absolute pain to get running on anything modern, so I suspect I'll be picking it up!
NO FUCKING WAY. It's no secret (maybe it is) that I've been begging for this for fucking AGES. I've been itching for it since I saw they had the first one up, but no sequel.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a post from me on this forum of me requesting it ;)

Edit: Ahahahahahahahahaha

Honestly, that video makes me think "Sega Rally" more than "Ridge Racer".

Screamer 1 is a Ridge Racer-style game, but yeah, Screamer 2 is much more Sega Rally. They're pretty different games, really, but both are good. (The third one, Screamer Rally, obviously is also more Sega Rally inspired.)

Huh? No, that's not true. Screamers 1 and 2 are DOS games and work fine in DOSBox, no issues. The only challenge is getting 3DFX mode working in Screamer 2, which does support it, but that's only because of the iffy state of DOSBox 3DFX emulation, not because of anything in the game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom