• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Another release last night not yet mentioned, A Story About My Uncle looks to be an adventure game that just came out. Doesn't have very much discussion at all on GAF, so not sure what to make of it.

I never played 4.

Is it as good as 2000, are there arcologies, and is getting them the "endgame"(for a game without an end).

From what I've been told (by Kabouter just recently), and read over the years, SimCity 4 is most advanced SimCity (by a huge amount) and renders all the earlier ones obsolete. It's the high point of the series, not one to miss if you enjoy simulation games. Perhaps too complex, to the point of almost being a flaw.

Minsc

Gold Member
Various SteamGAFfers like it.

SteamGAFfers who like it need to make a thread about the game and not keep to themselves so my quick searches come up with some hits then :p

Good to know though, I'll look for more in-depth post searching when looking for impressions, a title-only search came up pretty empty.

From what I've been told (by Kabouter just recently), and read over the years, SimCity 4 is most advanced SimCity (by a huge amount) and renders all the earlier ones obsolete. It's the high point of the series, not one to miss if you enjoy simulation games. Perhaps too complex, to the point of almost being a flaw.

Cool, will pick it up then. 75% off is an astonishingly good launch discount.

Knurek

Cool, will pick it up then. 75% off is an astonishingly good launch discount.

Important to notice is that the base price is almost two times higher than on Steam ($20 on GOG, €10 on Steam), so you're really getting only 50% off.
Still a great deal for a great game.

Important to notice is that the base price is almost two times higher than on Steam ($20 on GOG, €10 on Steam), so you're really getting only 50% off.
Still a great deal for a great game.

Ah. Well it's $13.60 to 10€ right now, and we never get quite that good a rate so let's say $14. Still almost 66% off, so just "very good" discount. Anything better then 50% (which we get every crimbo anyway) is brilliant for launch in my book.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy shit, GOG got a game I actually want? It's been months!

Will definitely buy SimCity 4. And it's $5!

Baller.

Edit: Oh, and SimCity4 is by far the best version of the game. It's got the most depth, but it's still accessible, and it looks fantastic. They'll probably never top this.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like we're not done yet, two more releases today:

- Among the Sleep (2014, adventure/fpp/horror, $19.99)
- Where is My Heart? (2014, action/puzzle, $7.99)

Once again, from a quick search, Among the Sleep looks to have quite a unique place along horror games, and a decent amount of hype. You navigate the game through a toddler's eyes, along all the nightmares that inhabit a toddler's mind. Seems to be as scary as it sounds, probably given to the idea that a toddler's imagination is their own worst enemy. Impressions from the alpha seem to be generally pretty positive I think.

Where is My Heart, a re-release of a 2012 Playstation Mini game, also held in very high regard from reading impressions (sometimes said to be the best Mini game made). Looks to be a unique looking experience, as you navigate through a multitude of out-of-place sections of screens, only able to glimpse a section of an area at a time. Probably best to just watch a video from youtube.

Persona7

Banned
I remember always wanting to try Where is my heart but I never got around to it.

Simcity is also a good release, totally bought.

Minsc

Gold Member

XaEB8XI.png

zXE6nf5.png

llDqfrO.png

Recommended games a night early this week, three more additions, two from this past week, and one which is a little further back.

Paper Sorcerer is first on the list today, and among the various positive things about it, one thing that people notice right away is the low price. After moving past the great value it offers, the positives (no throwaway battles, great party-based gameplay, interesting graphics) generally outweigh the negatives (poor animation, UI, lack of auto-map) for most people. Not too much more to add, if you like dungeon crawlers / Wizardry IV-type games, then you should probably check it out.

Then we have SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition, probably the strongest title on the list this week being it's quite often referred to as the high point in the series. Plenty of mod support to enhance the various aspects of the game, making it most likely the best city-builder game out. Extremely detailed simulation and also makes your involvement in managing the city feel more interesting than the earlier entries, there's really not too much people dislike at all about the game (spare the occasional user having framerate issues running it hardware accelerated).

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure is next, and we now have enough impressions for it to be added. Overall, it definitely impresses fans and newcomers alike. Picking up where Overseer leaves off, it delivers the excellent FMV the series is know for, along with a fun game to explore. At first anyway, towards the end things turn a bit downhill for people as they add in stealth parts and whatever else happens during the final days, but prior to that it's a really excellent game for most people, and the overall experience is still pretty positive despite it being strongest towards the first half.

And for what didn't make the cut this week:
- Bad Mojo Redux (almost made it, sadly not quite enough impressions)
- Among the Sleep (not enough impressions, revisit in a few weeks)
- Where is My Heart? (not enough impressions, revisit in a few weeks)
- A Story About My Uncle (not enough impressions, revisit in a few weeks)

Minsc

Gold Member
That was a good post I had to trim down a bit Gez, I particularly like the posts that cover different aspects of what is good and bad. Generally I gather up 10-20+ quotes, then pick out the ones that best suited what I need. I will usually only use just one or two "this was great" posts that don't give much more to them, then one or two detailed posts covering some elements of gameplay and strengths, and also I find it important to convey and issues/problems as well somewhere if they come up a few times. Want to make sure the recommendation puts one's expectations in order, and that it's not all endless praise. It's funny too how some games people are more frequently giving a summary/review and others less so, more just talk about the strategy to game itself (like SimCity 4 despite being popular had a surprisingly small amount of reviews/summary posts).

I just played Among the Sleep and I feel physically ill.

FOV-related? Other guess would be content, but I hope it's not that disturbing a game.

mclem

Weekend sale is a bit interesting, in that it's - I believe - the first time the recent Tommo/Microprose releases have been on sale.

Hence it's the first sale in ages where I don't already own 80% of the content...

...yet

Crayons

Banned
FOV-related? Other guess would be content, but I hope it's not that disturbing a game.

I saw that on GOG the other day. Is it really that disturbing?

The atmosphere was incredibly unsettling for me. Combined with the fact that you are a small 2 year old, and the whole world is so much darker and bigger than you, it reminded me what it was like to be a little kid in a dark, scary place. The sounds probably did the best job at scaring me. You keep feeling like something is going to jump up and scare you - but it hasn't happened for me yet, only the sounds that make me jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom