• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Era of RPGs: SNES, PS1 or PS2?

Shifty

Mmmh, that's tricky. I think I need to play more PS2 RPGs.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant gets a big ol' honourable mention because it's incredible and Joachim CHAMPION OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE GRAND PAPILLION is the best.

PS1 for now- FF8, Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Eternia :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:
PS1=>PS2>SNES>>>>>>>DS.

As someone who've played a big part of those games on the list, it's pretty amazing that some think SNES wins. That must be quite the specific taste. I could perhaps understand being unable to judge them, due to the many great games available on all the consoles. If PC included, even though I'm not a big fan of a lot of WRPGs in the period of these consoles, I'd at least be able to admit that PC RPGs stand at least as tall as PS1 and PS2, just from the output and the reception.

Belmonte

My usual response is PSX but the more PSX/Snes RPGs I play, more I realize how hard is to give a definitive answer. Both systems are RPG powerhouses and the winner is not the winner by a large margin.

Oh yeah, thought it was only about JRPGs due to the platforms. If you count W/CRPGs, PC is really easily in top 2/3.

I think he was saying that because Okami isn't a RPG. Action/Adventure like Zelda.

It's easily in the same league, especially if you count re-releases there.

there is a problem, if re-releases count then games like chrono trigger, final fantasy 5-6, ogrebattle, tales of phantasia are also ps1 tittles, so snes lose exclusives form the list

also you can play all ps1 rpg on ps2 so is ps2 automatically the console with almost all RPG?

Shadow Hearts: Covenant gets a big ol' honourable mention because it's incredible and Joachim CHAMPION OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE GRAND PAPILLION is the best.

In some ways Shadow Hearts is better than Covenant, especially when it comes to the mood, flow of the story and some of the humor. Covenant is a bit more over-the-top in that regard, for good or bad. But both are basically just one half of a whole, so both are necessary games to play. It's really amazing how Covenant takes a character from the first game and develops them further to a tragic antagonist. You also have the alternative history aspect of Shadow Hearts as well, the travel aspect and the Lovecraftian elements (heck, third game has Lovecraft in it), that just makes it such a unique game. And of course, building Shadow Hearts from Koudelka is amazing in itself as well.

One of the franchises I wish were given a sequel/prequel/spin-off or reimagined.

Let's not forget the dollhouse from Shadow Hearts as well:
41-053_34.jpg

And the hilarious or creepy enemy descriptions:
shearts-mailman.jpg

1*RyJFSStdqtoNijc-cKB0xw.jpeg

I mean, it has literal ass-eating frog:
18-mutantfrogxrzc6.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn't play many on PS2, but the genre started getting big on SNES but really blew up and became one of the most popular and prolific ones on PS1. So I say PS1, although it wouldn't have been so good on PS1 were it not for being so good on SNES.

PS4 duh

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
FF7REMAKE
Nioh
Sekiro
FFXV
KH3
Nier Automata
Elden Ring
The Witcher 3

OK now list the RPGs.

Last edited:

Pejo

SNES for me, because they hold up so much better visually. PS1 had a huge and fatastic library, but early polygons are tough to look at today. Meanwhile, excellent pixel art will never go out of style. Plus Chrono Trigger, FFIV, and FFVI are 3 of my favorite games ever.

I didn't play many on PS2, but the genre started getting big on SNES but really blew up and became one of the most popular and prolific ones on PS1. So I say PS1, although it wouldn't have been so good on PS1 were it not for being so good on SNES.

OK now list the RPGs.

I just did

I think for me, they all have their own unique strengths and flavors. I just try to appreciate the good things about each gen/game/genre.

I am partial to the PS2 era though. Although it has more to do with how much time I had available for this hobby during that gen probably. The PS2 was not only the perfect storm in the larger sense on the console scene, but it was timed perfectly for me as well.

AbZeroNow

Neo Member
Riiiiiight... Well let me know when FF6 revolutionize something the same way FF7 did. Also comparing a late gen game like FF6 to early gen game like FF7 isn't exactly fair, comparing it to 6 to 9 and 4 to 7 would be more appropriate. Meanwhile Chrono Trigger managed to overshadow FF6 on same gen console, while early gen FF7 revolutionize JRPG as a whole, wake me when FF6 does the same. :messenger_sleeping:

FF6 and FF7 are the closest together in time. I like both games, the opening credits from FF6 are extremely well done and FF6 was the first Final Fantasy in the West that had a clear villain throughout the story, and it has a good ensemble of characters. Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack on this still slams. FF7 heralded the extremely strong lineup of RPGs on the PS1, the story is probably one of the best in the FF series. The English translation on FF7 was not quite as good as FF6 but FF7 had one of the best systems in the FF series(the materia system), which essentially let you customize which magic the characters use. Chrono Trigger did not overshadow FF6, it just has a more vocal fanbase.

Top Bottom