• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Era of RPGs: SNES, PS1 or PS2?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I generally see these three eras being stated by different fans as the best times for RPG fans. Which of the three do you think is the GOAT era for RPGs? I'm mainly talking about JRPGs however you can include strategy RPGs or Action RPGs if you like. Mind you I'm talking about my experience in North America, so it would be interesting if people from different continents had a wildly different take on the matter, since I was horrified to learn recently that Chrono Trigger for example never had a European release on the SNES?????! (A crime)

SNES:

The SNES was a great time for multiple genres and has a great library. We had some of the best RPGs in the genre that have aged incredibly well and many subsequent games have used for inspiration. The 16 bit aesthetic for these games is still beautiful to look at and arguably aged better than a lot of the PS1's early 3D graphics.

Chrono Trigger (my fave SNES game)
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Secret of Mana
Zelda Lttp
Breath of Fire 1
Breath of Fire 2
Super Mario RPG
Tales of Phantasia

PS1:

This was probably Square's strongest era ever, back when they were king of the RPG.

Final Fantasy 7 (changed the industry)
Final Fantasy 8 (my fave FF)
Final Fantasy 9
Tail Concerto
Kartia
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Chrono Cross (just as amazing as Chrono Trigger)
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics (the only SRPG I really love)
Wild Arms 1
Wild Arms 2
Grandia
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete (the story of Luna and Alex <3)
Lunar Eternal Blue Complete
Star Ocean Second Story
Legend of Dragoon
Thousand Arms
Jade Cocoon
Breath of Fire 3 (my fave BoF)
Breath of Fire 4
Alundra (first game to rival Zelda Lttp in quality)
Dragon Quest VII
Tales of Destiny 1
Tales of Eternia (or Destiny 2)
Valkyrie Profile

Amazing that Sony started off with a "no RPGs in the West" policy and we forced ourselves to played that turd Beyond the Beyond when it came over as RPG fans were dying for anything at that point.

PS2:

Ok, so I would have to say that while the PS1 has some of my top faves the PS2 imo is the one I'd vote for as the Golden Era. We had both quality AND quantity at this point thanks to revolutionary titles like FF7 paving the way.

Final Fantasy 10 (either 2nd fave FF or tied with 8 for favorite)
Final Fantasy 12
Digital Devil Saga 1
Digital Devil Saga 2 (one of the best on the system)
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5 (favorite WA tied with 5)
Wild Arms Alter Code F (tied with 5 as my fave)
Jade Cocoon 2
Suikoden 4
Suikoden 5 (best Suikoden imo)
Ar Tonelico
Ar Tonelico 2
Atelier Iris 1
Atelier Iris 2
Atelier Iris 3
Mana Khemia
Mana Khemia 2
Okami
Devil Summoner
Devil Summoner 2
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
Grandia Xtreme
Grandia 2
Grandia 3
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Tales of the Abyss
Shadow Hearts 1
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (incredible game)
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Dragon Quest 8 (my fave DQ)
Dark Cloud 1
Dark Cloud 2
Rogue Galaxy
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Persona 3 & FES
Persona 4
Xenosaga
Xenosaga 2
Xenosaga 3 (one of the best RPGs ever, a masterpiece and on par with Xenogears)

EDIT: ***Since the Nintendo DS is such a strong contender, you can vote for that one as well. The DS arguably has the strongest RPG lineup in the history of handhelds.***

DS:

Solotorabo: Red the Hunter
Radiant Historia
Final Fantasy 3 remake
Final Fantasy 4 remake (my fave version of the game)
Okamiden
Dragon Quest 4
Dragon Quest 5
Dragon Quest 6
Dragon Quest 9
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Sands of Destruction
Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Zelda Spirit Tracks (my fave handheld Zelda)
Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light

The current gen is looking pretty hopeful. Not sure if we'll ever have another Golden Age in the RPG genre (at least for JRPGs) but things are looking up from last gen at least :)

What do you consider the Golden Era? My vote goes to the PS2. There can only be one

16liRGx.gif

Eolz

I swear we had a similar thread recently.
SNES for me, like last time. Lots of diversity, focus on gameplay, and the most important classics, cult or not.

Edit: also would put DS over PS1 anyday. Hard to say for PS2, but above PS1 too.

DS/PS2

Aren't they from the same era though? Or same gen I guess. There was a time where there were rpgs coming out for both of them.

SNES, a ton of creativity and a ton of stuff that holds up really well. And if you're going to include LTTP that makes it even easier.

And yeah, DS.

Zenogias81

Neo Member
For me it's PS1. As good as many PS2 RPG's are there are some aspects of that gen which put it in second place for me, mainly the fact that voice-acting became more common.

I never liked playing RPGs or any long games on consoles. Handhelds were always so much more comfortable.

So, for me, it's probably DS or 3DS.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
SNES, for sure. but i think the PS1 RPG scene was an extension of what the SNES was, they kind of overlapped after all.

PS2 RPGs were great but not as "classic" feeling as a lot of the SNES/PS1 stuff.

PS2 was the point where JRPGs became my genre of choice so that's my pick. Though I feel like the PS4 era may take that if 2016 is any indication.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
can a MOD please update the thread title to say (or Nintendo DS) in brackets please?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
PS1 seriously followed closely by snes. Grandia, suikoden, xenogears, ffvii.

Out of curiosity those of you choosing ps2 were you playing games during the snes and ps1 eras?

Matticers

SNES had the better heavy hitters. PS1 had the better overall top to bottom lineup in my opinion. Depends on which you prefer of those two.

My initial reaction was to say SNES since it has my favorite game but it's hard to argue against the PS1 catalog. I think I would go with that.

And Suikoden 3 was left off of the PS2 list. One of my favorites.

enigmatic_alex44

Out of curiosity those of you choosing ps2 were you playing games during the snes and ps1 eras?

Yes.

Did you see the list in the OP? Xenosaga 3, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, and FFX easily compare to the best that the SNES and PS1 had to offer. Plus there was a much larger selection on the PS2.

Sölf

Can't decide. SNES has Lufia 2, which is my favorite RPG of all time. It also had other great games and many more which were japan only (Bahamut Lagoon, Fire Emblem 3-5, Rudora no Hihou, Romancing Saga 3).
However, I played probably more on the PS 1 and PS 2. I also discovered my love for Tactical RPGs with Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Legend of Kartia and other games. I also made my first steps into the Dungeon Crawler genre with Azure Dreams.

Honestly, I can't decide. From the sheer amount, PS 1 and PS 2 both win. But Lufia 2 is just my favorite game of all time and probably to this day the game I have completed most often.

As much as I love the PS1/PS2, the SNES probably can't be topped.

Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, Lufia 2 (1 was good as well), Final Fantasy 4-6, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Breath of Fire 1&2, Zelda ALTTP, Dragon Quest 5/6, Ys III, Robotrek, Romancing Saga 3, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Super Mario RPG, Treasure Hunter G, Bahamut Lagoon, Dragon View, 7th Saga

Lothar

Banned
SNES had better RPGs but PS1 wins for the quantity of great RPGs. Even today, I'm still trying to catch up and play them all.

Also you forgot Lunar SSSC and Lunar EBC.

entremet

SNES because I played more of them and the ones I did play are amongst my favorite ever.

Outside of FF and Chrono Cross I didn't play other PSOne JRPGs.

I also didn't play much PS2 JRPGs--I only beat DQ8, FFX, and Persona 3 FES.

Ric Flair

Banned
PSX Final Fantasy games were all amazing. Final Fantasy IX is my favorite Japanese RPG of all time. They nailed the atmosphere in that game. Final Fantasy VIII is awesome as well, easily in my top 5. There's something really charming about the PSX's graphics as well, they're dated but pleasing at the same time.

PC in the years 1996-2001

Was going to say this. I like how the op totally doesn't count pc rpgs.

Though honestly, I think this era had the best pc rpgs, there weren't that many compared to consoles. The pc games were just better for my tastes. I would say those 3 consoles each have a larger pool of good rpgs.

Peltz

For me, SNES without question. They were just so charming and completely devoid of annoying cinematic movies that broke up the flow of things in later generations.

Well definitely not the SNES, because the UK was treated like it didn't exist in terms of JRPGs during that era. I'll go with the PS1. That was when the bulk of my genre-defining favourites came out. Final Fantasy in particular was and never will be better than what that system had to offer back in those years.

Top Bottom