• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Era of RPGs: SNES, PS1 or PS2?

Modedude

If there's a golden age of JRPGs I'd say it's not just on a console, it's between 1991-2008 since that's the point when they were the most active and still seen as something massive.
Since then it's pushed off into its own little niche.

Both SNES and MegaDrive were great and the 16 bit gen was brilliant but for me, the PS1 and PS2 generation's were something really special. Both had so many awesome games, it's hard to pick one over the other.

It's too hard to really gauge something like this. Most of us only have the opportunity to play a small handful of RPGs each generation and that usually includes going back a generation or two to play one or two of the certified classics.

Lothar

Banned
If there's a golden age of JRPGs I'd say it's not just on a console, it's between 1991-2008 since that's the point when they were the most active and still seen as something massive.
Since then it's pushed off into its own little niche.

I'm glad. Gives everyone a time to catch up. There's no way anybody has played all of the great RPGs during that time.

I'm finding that if I haven't played a RPG in 15 years, it's like playing it for the first time. I forgot almost everything about them. So I spent this whole year replaying PS1 RPGs. (FF9, FFT, Grandia, Suikoden 1, Suikoden 2, Lunar 1, Lunar 2) Next I want to play for the first time Star Ocean 2 and Valkryie Profile and replay Xenogears. I'll never get around to playing all the RPGs I want at this rate.

They need to stop making them for like 10 years.

I haven't touched my PS4 in about a year.

kswiston

It's too hard to really gauge something like this. Most of us only have the opportunity to play a small handful of RPGs each generation and that usually includes going back a generation or two to play one or two of the certified classics.

Perhaps. I think I had a pretty good grasp on the JRPG genre until recently though. I've probably played between 150-200 JRPGs (not always to completion) between the SNES and DS eras (including the various systems and handhelds in each of those eras). I did start to fall off some in the later half of the PS3 and 3DS eras though, so I can't speak as authoritatively on the past 3-4 years.

Some GAF members put me to shame. I'd be curious to see how many titles Aeana has played over the years.

Battlechili

Banned
I love the 3DS, but I think this discussion is usually framed around rpgs. If you cross off the dungeon crawlers and SRPGs (I've added in bold), it really doesn't have that many, you've even added a couple that aren't out yet.

Otherwise we'd have to add SRPGs to the PSOne list, which would be FFT and Front Mission 3 for starters, and a ridiculously huge amount on PS2.

Personally I think Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem and Devil Survivor games are awesome though, and SMTIV is one of the best JRPGs this gen. Apologies for pedantry :)
Oh no its fine! Actually, I was questioning whether or not I should include SRPGs especially, since from a gameplay persepctive they are kinda different. But I figured that from a broad perspective they could still be seen as RPGs. I was thinking though that at the very least dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey should be included, since they're a lot like normal JRPGs, just with a different kind of exploring. Gameplay is still the normal turn-based combat, stats work the same, etc.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't get the PS2 love. Yeah, there are a lot of games on that list but the overall quality is nowhere near the other three choices here.

Menchi

PS1 > PS2=SNES

That's my order of preference. Really though, the true answer is all of them. Amazing games no matter what you choose.

kswiston

I don't get the PS2 love. Yeah, there are a lot of games on that list but the overall quality is nowhere near the other three choices here.

The lists in the OP have some odd curation, even if you ignore the debate on whether the Zelda games even belong on there. There are at least 5 DS jrpgs that should be on there before Sands of Destruction. Ditto for the PS2 lists and some of those entries.

Weiss

Banned
SNES. Less anime influence.

crono_chrono-trigger_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

1699686-ryubof2.jpg

cless.jpg

Nothing anime here, alright.

Op are you comparing platforms or eras? Because you list the psx but omit the Saturn, which had incredible rpgs. Psx+ss is undoubtedly the best era of rpgs.

Platform-wise it's a lot closer. Not sure I'd like to pick a winner between snes,psx and ss. Defo not PS2 though.

kswiston

Op are you comparing platforms or eras? Because you list the psx but omit the Saturn, which had incredible rpgs. Psx+ss is undoubtedly the best era of rpgs.

Platform-wise it's a lot closer. Not sure I'd like to pick a winner between snes,psx and ss. Defo not PS2 though.

Adding Megadrive/Sega CD and PC Engine games to the SNES output makes up for Saturn IMO. Of course, all of this assumes we are looking at Japan's output, and not just what was localized.

[

Nothing anime here, alright.

I think "less anime" for most people just means less of a focus on cute little girls/moe characters. That or the anime influence wasn't as apparent in the low res sprites.

AntMurda

Based on what I personally played, finished, and loved.

SNES
- Shadowrun
- Secret of Mana
- Chrono Trigger
- Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys
- Soul Blazer
- Illusion of Gaia
- EVO
- Actraiser

PSX
- Persona: Revelations
- Persona: Eternal Punishment
- Chrono Cross
- Final Fantasy 7

PS2
- Final Fantasy X

PSX still wins because those fewer games hit me HARD!

Dunkley

Even though I feel in terms of diversity the SNES might be on top, I feel like the PS1 era managed well to evolve from the SNES era and thus I'll give the nod to that, especially since in terms of production values I felt like they were sitting on top around that time.

Although the PS2 era had some great JRPGs to follow afterwards, I always felt like people were way more split about it compared to SNES vs. PS1 on terms of how the genre evolved in that generation. Some people liked the way it was going, others felt like JRPGs were better in the previous generations.

PS1 for sure. PS2 a very close second. Snes 'classics' a bit over rated in my opinion. So I would say DS takes third place.
Subjectively speaking, playing jrpgs and strategy games on handhelds is probably ideal. So on that thought I would also consider PSP a contender for having one of the best libraries for these type of games.

my vote goes to playstation 1, but I recognize the strength of both ps2 and snes. the ds does not even come close to any of these systems

93xfan

Banned
If we're counting action RPGs such as legend of Zelda a link to the past, we also should count Illusion of Gaia.
Such an underrated and amazing game!

KAL2006

Banned
Suikoden 1 and 2 are on PS1. Which means PS1 wins automatically. I also enjoyed Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy VII ans IX. If SRPGs count add Vandal Hearts to the list.

SNES is overstated in my opinion

If 2016 is anything to go by PS4 has the potential to be a contender for one of the best jrpg machines - if it keeps it up for the entirety of it's lifetime that is.
Having the ability to stream games to vita and other handheld devices circumvents the problem of playing verrrry long games on the big screen too. :)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS1 1997-1999 rpgs >>>>>>>>>> SNES (all)...its not even close really

That list of PS2 rpgs is so weak compared to PS1 or SNES...
PS2s rpgs aren't even on the same level as someone who bought the PS2 at launch that system is so overrated

3ds. We just got Lord of Magna, Stella Glow, Yokai Watch in addition to the plethora of rpgs already out. Plus we're getting dq 7 & 8, another FE, another bravely default, smt iv final, etc. next year

Chastten

Banned
Most people are just gonna list the era they grew up and had their first experiences in.

I couldn't really pick one myself though. My favorite RPG's come from all these gens and more (Pokemon Gold/Silver, Golden Sun, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Valkyria Chronicles, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem Awakening) so it's pretty hard. If the slew of upcoming 3DS RPG's turn out great, then 3DS will be my fave gen I guess.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
PS1 1997-1999 rpgs >>>>>>>>>> SNES (all)...its not even close really
I disagree, even if I pick the PS1 era too. Few PS1 RPGs are as good as FFVI, it's still one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. That said, the PS1's library is just stronger overall.

That list of PS2 rpgs is so weak compared to PS1 or SNES...
PS2s rpgs aren't even on the same level as someone who bought the PS2 at launch that system is so overrated
That, I do agree with, 100%. The PS2 JRPGs sucked outside of Suikoden III-V and maybe Wild ARMs 3, and it just went downhill after that.

Durante

Well, clearly this thread is about JRPGs, not RPGs in general, since the golden era of CRPGs obviously wasn't on a console.

Now, regarding JRPGs, I have a hard time deciding between those 3. All of them have outstanding libraries. And all of them, in my opinion, are far ahead of any handheld.

However, I think I'd give the overall crown to PS2. It has the largest number of JRPGs I'd put in my top 10 of the subgenre. (Among others, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Ar Tonelico 2, Valkyrie Profile 2, Suikoden 5 and 3, and FFX) Followed by PS1 and SNES in third place.

Most people are just gonna list the era they grew up and had their first experiences in.
FWIW, my first JRPG experience was in the SNES era.

Adding Megadrive/Sega CD and PC Engine games to the SNES output makes up for Saturn IMO. Of course, all of this assumes we are looking at Japan's output, and not just what was localized.

Having played most of them (and Story of Thor in particular being one of my favourite games of all time), I don't personally think the combined Megadrive/Mega CD RPG canon stands up to the Saturn. I must admit to almost complete ignorance regarding PC Engine RPGs though.

My first RPG was on the nes.

All were great but for my taste personally PS1 edges out the rest, and off the top of my head I feel like it had more unique RPG battle system and setting wise.

Taramoor

This is weird because I would probably say the Wii, but only because it includes the best SNES RPGs on its virtual console, and lets me play Gamecube ones like Skies of Arcadia and Baten Kaitos and Path of Radiance.

Re-releases make this question impossible.

Rurunaki

Depends on what you grew up with.

For me it will he SNES. Lufia series, Terranigma, 7th Saga are a few hidden gems. It was also in this period where I think Squaresoft and Enix were at their strongest points. Problem is most of the jrpgs are just that; japanese bound.

It was only during the ps1 and ps2 era where we see the proliferation of the jrpgs towards the West.

Trago

It's not even close, SNES. By the time the PS2 came along, the genre was being run into the ground with some of the most by the numbers, samey, and tired releases ever pressed to discs. PS1's JRPG's were better my comparison to PS2, but none of them come close to SNES.

Koozek

PS1 > PS2 > SNES (I never really associate it with JRPGs much, tbh, as the only ones I played were SoM, SoE, Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia/Time)

Top Bottom