• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Joystick Awards 2017 (Voting Open)

GPdL1JT.png

It's time to have your say on your favourite games of the year. Voting on the 35th Golden Joystick Awards presented with OMEN by HP has now opened with 21 categories where we need YOU to decide on the cream of the gaming crop. Whether you've played nothing but Horizon Zero Dawn – which is tying with Persona 5 for the most nominations across all categories, with five appearances each – or already spent too much time with Destiny 2, the categories are swamped with the very best the industry has to offer. Breath of the Wild or Mario + Rabbids? Playerunknown's Battlegrounds or Friday the 13th? The choice is yours. Better yet, everyone who votes can claim a FREE eBook worth up to £15.99.

The awards, presented by none other than Assassin's Creed's Danny Wallace, take place on Nov 17 in London but before any of that happens, the Golden Joystick Awards need you to decide who deserves the ultimate accolade of a shiny, well, Golden Joystick. There are even four new categories this year on top of the usual highly contested Best PlayStation, Best Xbox, Best Nintendo and Ultimate Game of the Year accolades. For the first time you can choose your Best VR Game, eSports Team of the Year, Best Streamer/Broadcaster and the Still Playing Award for the game you just can't quit.

Game of the year nominations are...
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Dishonored 2
- Destiny 2
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Monument Valley 2
- Persona 5
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Resident Evil 7
- Super Mario Odyssey
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- What Remains of Edith Finch
http://www.gamesradar.com/were-live...ite-games-in-the-35th-golden-joystick-awards/

To vote:
http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

Lock if old.

Some tough choices in here.

Was particularly stuck on Best Audio. I feel like Hellblade did an incredible job with the audio effects / voices in your head aspect, but I ultimately gave it to Breath of the Wild because of how they reimagined old school themes with new instrumentals. It was extremely well done.

Voted for my main squeeze Ashly Burch for her awesome work on H:ZD and voted it my GOTY as well.

Enzo88

I know that mario is always good, but the game is not even out yet XD

Btw, i can`t see anything beating zelda.

hotcyder

Darn - I can't decide between Dishonored 2, Monument Valley 2, Resident Evil 7 or Breath of the Wild... I would choose Super Mario Odyssey but it's not even out yet.

That being said who am I kidding - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is going to win

emperor_ing

Neo Member
Voted. These awards are always a popularity contest so I always take them with a pinch of salt. As a Nintendo fan hoping for some recognition for BotW but expecting Horizon to sweep its categories.

LAA

Well one thing I don't agree with already.
How can Mario Odyssey be a nomination..when it's not even out yet? Ridiculous if that wins, even if it does end up being GOTY to most people, the problem is we can't judge that now!

The other interesting point, interesting Switch games aren't covered in the Handheld/Mobile section, Switch would be in quite a unique space there for technically being allowed there, but can be compared to console games also.

EDIT: Ah I see voting closing November 3rd, so it'd have been out for a while by then. Bet people have voted for it already though, should at least be "locked from voting" for now.

Can I vote for my free copy of Dark Souls I didn't get last year?
/s

But yeah, having unreleased games on a GotY list is utterly stupid. It's also unfair on games that have actually been released to a good reception.

2017 has been one of the best years for gaming in a long time in my opinion, and you're telling me they can't fill a list with titles released since January 1st.

weekev

Banned
Zelda is my GOTY by some distance (until October 27th) but this is a public vote, more people have played and loved PUBG so I reckon it will win. Could be wrong but I don't think I will be. Seems odd to have so many unreleased games in there unless voting is open till the very last second, but why not just open voting for a week and make sure all the games are out by then.

Plum

I ain't voting in a popularity contest like this, especially one with games that aren't even out yet, so I'll just post my predictions instead. I'll come back and see how I did.

Best Storytelling - Horizon
Best Visual Design - Horizon
Best Audio - Persona 5
Best Performance - Ashly Burch (Horizon)
Best Indie Game - Night in the Woods
Best MP - PUBG
Studio of the Year - Nintendo EPD
Best VR Game - Resi 7
eSports Play of the Year - ???
eSports Team of the Year - ???
eSports Game of the Year - Overwatch
Best Streamer/Broadcaster - ???
Best Mobile/Handheld Game - Pokemon Sun & Moon
Nintendo Game of the Year - Zelda
Playstation Game of the Year - Horizon
Xbox Game of the Year - Cuphead
PC Game of the Year - PUBG
Breakthrough of the Year - Brendan Greene
Most Wanted Game - RDR2
Still Playing - Overwatch
Ultimate Game of the Year - PUBG

Aters

lol Nier Automata is not nominated for best audio. Goodbye, no thinks. This vote is meaningless for me.

J_Viper

Only now noticed Dishonored 2 on the list

Excellent game, one of the best of last year, but it's strange to see it here

Any game of the year award which is announced before the release season has ended clearly exists for marketing reasons and not for the purposes of recognising quality.

J_Viper

Any game of the year award which is announced before the release season has ended clearly exists for marketing reasons and not for the purposes of recognising quality.

Aside from Brian Bloom being nominated early, I agree. That dude is a pro

It was hard choosing between him and Claudia Black, but had to go with Blazko

Ludens

Banned
Do you know where you can pick up your free ebook with a value of 16₤?
It's not Amazon, right?
EDIT: Sadly you can select between six options, and they mail the ebook to you.

WITHE1982

Went with Horizon for GOTY.

I absolutely loved my time with it (on my 3rd play-through now). A great new IP and unbelievably Guerrilla's first open world game. They absolutely knocked it out of the park.

I'm pretty sure PUBG or Zelda will win it but as I've not played either Horizon was the obvious choice.

Nice to see Edith Finch in there too. Another game I enjoyed immensely.

R aka Bon

I voted very willingly till i came to the category: "21. Ultimate Game of the Year
It all comes down to this. Which games meant the most to you in the last year - and which experiences will you remember in the years to come?"

Which is just odd, because there are games in there that for once haven't been released, and there are still unreleased games coming out in the coming months, that are also robbed of this nomination...

Definitely not gonna waste more time on that thing.

Lain

Why is Assassin's Creed Origin up for voting, if the game isn't even out. Or is it only not out on PC?

takriel

It was hard for me not to vote BotW on everything it is a contender for.

With it and Odyssey, Nintendo are really killing it this year.

Top Bottom