• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 wins Critics' Choice Award at the Golden Joystick Awards 2023

Alan Wake 2 has won the Critics' Choice Award at the Golden Joystick Awards 2023 powered by Intel.

As voted on by a group of journalists from GamesRadar+, PC Gamer, Future Game Show, EDGE Magazine, Retro Gamer, and PLAY magazine – alongside Future's trusted network of freelance writers – Remedy Entertainment's long-awaited sequel has risen to the top in a year absolutely brimming with top-tier candidates.

If I remember correctly, the Ultimate Game of the Year Award is chosen by the public so it's the player's GOTY, and the Critics' Awards is well, the critics' GOTY.

elmo-hell.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are doomed. This game got no gameplay and it's woke city...
So mixed feelings on it. It's an ok game but not close to best this year. not at all

Mozzarella

Golden Joystick is the Golden Globe awards for gaming.
So in a way those awards are low value, wait for TGA.

Not saying that awards mean good, but TGA is the award that has the highest value, followed by Dice and Bafta, they have more critics that vote and some of them have developer.
Golden Joystick awards usually dont agree with TGA, so this result does not guarantee anything.

Last edited:

Luipadre

So mixed feelings on it. It's an ok game but not close to best this year. not at all

It got plenty of gameplay just a different kind. The story told through gameplay in excellent way

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It got plenty of gameplay just a different kind. The story told through gameplay in excellent way
Plenty of gameplay pretending to solve cases on the board?
Or plenty of gameplay solving the fucktrard toy puzzles?
Ohhh you probably mean the gameplay when I had to shoot 13 dudes in the whole game.

I took 30 hours to fiinsh it. I enjoy exploration and atmo but you cannot say that this game got gameplay :p

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
No gameplay in the sense of "too many cinematics" or no gameplay as in "it's just a walking sim"? because it has the standard survival horror gameplay, pretty much in line with the third person and resource management from Dead Space Remake and RE4 Remake
And whar is "woke city" supposed to mean? lol

Plenty of gameplay pretending to solve cases on the board?
Or plenty of gameplay solving the fucktrard toy puzzles?
Ohhh you probably mean the gameplay when I had to shoot 13 dudes in the whole game.

I took 30 hours to fiinsh it. I enjoy exploration and atmo but you cannot say that this game got gameplay :p
Really? I got to use all weapons against a ton of enemies, how did you shoot only 13 enemies?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
No gameplay in the sense of "too many cinematics" or no gameplay as in "it's just a walking sim"? because it has the standard survival horror gameplay, pretty much in line with the third person and resource management from Dead Space Remake and RE4 Remake
And whar is "woke city" supposed to mean? lol

Really? I got to use all weapons against a ton of enemies, how did you shoot only 13 enemies?
You can't even say survival horror and alan wake 2 in the same sentence as RE4 remake and Dead Space remake....
I've explained my point deeper in OT. Probably not a good idea to repeat it here.
And it might've been 14 enemies. I don't remember (do you really think this is a real number?!)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He thinks Forspoken is a great game. Don't worry about him.

kung-pow-enter-the-fist.gif
Forspoken is way better than alan wake 2.
You actually care for characters, it's not as woke and wait for it... forspoken actually got GAMEPLAY. Exciting, deep gameplay with some of best open world combat and movement in this type of game.

Again - Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed AW2 but it's praised too high. There is plenty of room for Aw2 negativity among it's 99% positive feedback. The game was written by damn sweet baby inc or whatever that is....
And the gameplay really is stale. You spend ton of time listening to crap. i don't mind that but it's just headshot delvier. not even mouths moving since it's "mind place" talk.
Compare it to musical level and it's hard to believe a game can be so good and so bad one level to another. Musical level was incredible

tmlDan

Is it just me, but i keep playing and i don't get what's so special about this game. 7 hours in so far.

Zathalus

You actually care for characters, it's not as woke and wait for it... forspoken actually got GAMEPLAY. Exciting, deep gameplay with some of best open world combat and movement in this type of game.

Again - Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed AW2 but it's praised too high. There is plenty of room for Aw2 negativity among it's 99% positive feedback. The game was written by damn sweet baby inc or whatever that is....
And the gameplay really is stale. You spend ton of time listening to crap. i don't mind that but it's just headshot delvier. not even mouths moving since it's "mind place" talk.
Compare it to musical level and it's hard to believe a game can be so good and so bad one level to another. Musical level was incredible
Alan Wake 2 wokeness is way overblown. It basically amounts to a single line in a 30 hour game that makes complete sense in context. And no, Saga being amazing is not a sign of wokeness, it leans heavily into the Mary Sue trope which Forspoken (and most games with a special protagonist) fall into. Her abilities also have a good in-game explanation as well, just like Alan Wake himself has

K' Dash

sad eric cartman GIF by South Park

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alan Wake 2 wokeness is way overblown. It basically amounts to a single line in a 30 hour game that makes complete sense in context. And no, Saga being amazing is not a sign of wokeness, it leans heavily into the Mary Sue trope which Forspoken (and most games with a special protagonist) fall into. Her abilities also have a good in-game explanation as well, just like Alan Wake himself has
It's not only that.
It's her whole character. She is the LEAD detective since she is BETTER at her job. First line from Casey.
She never reacts to gross stuff, she is tough so on and on and on.

yeah Forspoken got some woke but it's not that. It's failed japanese wokeness. They made everyone into women and that's it :p

It's not only that.
It's her whole character. She is the LEAD detective since she is BETTER at her job. First line from Casey.

yeah Forspoken got some woke but it's not that. It's failed japanese wokeness. They made everyone into women and that's it :p
If this was her first case and Casey said "you're better than me, take the lead", sure, I would understand your point.
But she's had years of experience, there is literally nothing wrong with that, unless of course, the fact that she's a woman makes it woke for some reason.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's not only that.

But she is better at her job. Not because she is a woman or black but because of her family ancestry. She literally has magic powers that help her out, being a special person with special powers is basically a requirement for all video game protagonists. She is also a hardened FBI agent so why wouldn't she be tough? She is no mere rookie and Casey is not her boss but her partner. Alan Wake himself is a novel writer and he had zero problems quickly picking up a gun and killing the population of a small town in the first game.

But she is better at her job. Not because she is a woman or black but because of her family ancestry. She literally has magic powers that help her out, being a special person with special powers is basically a requirement for all video game protagonists. She is also a hardened FBI agent so why wouldn't she be tough?
There is even a line where Casey mentioned how the local police is not used to see gruesome scenes like they are, so yeah, it was even acknowledge in the game.

Alan Wake himself is a novel writer and he had zero problems quickly picking up a gun and killing the population of a small town in the first game.
In the first game, I remember Alan talking about using a gun in the shooting range. That's his only experience but he's a total badass with every weapon with perfect accuracy.

TheKratos

I can fully understand the love for AW2 if you like story based games with minimal gameplay. AW2 is captivating and the way it's told is quite unique. That said, the gameplay is minimal which is ok for those who like that.

Top Bottom