• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldeneEye:Source 4.1 hitting Friday and officially out of beta!

Dug

Banned
bistromathics said:
anyone wanna play? i'm chillin in the Atlas Dallas server smoking a bowl....im the only person here atm

server IP: 173.208.123.50:27015
might as well come and join :D

Rich!

Set up a server. Limiting it to 4 people to keep the original feel intact and to solve the spawning issues.

I'll update you guys if any of you want to join in.

Dizzy-4U

I remember trying the beta like 2 or 3 years ago and honestly I didn't quite like it back then. It just felt like counterstrike with a reskin pack attached to it.

I've been playing Goldeneye for 10 years now so I was kinda worried about the "feel" of the game. I must say, I'm pretty impressed. The weapons look nice (very nice touch of adding the phantom, though I'd say that the klobb looks a little more dangerous than the original), weapon respawn points seem accurate (for the few levels that I tried at least) and the most important part, the movement feels great; not too slow, not too fast, just right.

The one thing that I really REALLY like is the simplicity of the "Classic" maps. They didn't add shit that wasn't in the original and they kept the textures to a minimum. Very nice that they added invisible walls so you can't drop down and stuff.

As for improvements, I'd say weapon groups is kind of a pain in the ass. Having to type them instead of just selecting them is kinda hit or miss. I tried typing "Power Weapons" for example and it didn't work. Just a minor annoyance, but whatever, maybe I was doing something wrong. I messed around with the options a little bit and maybe I missed it but another thing that needs to be added is Licence to Kill. It's not a proper Goldeneye without that. Again, I may have missed it in the options.

And lastly, remove the jump, or at least for the classic maps (EDIT: Ok, it looks like you can :) ).

Other than that, I'm loving it. I can see myself spending many hours with the game.

Cruzader

Banned
Brettison said:
You gotta buy an Orange Box game aka HL2:E2, Portal (not the freebie they gave away) or TF2.
I read that L4D2 has the Source SDK...is this true? I just recently bought the game.

Rich!

Dizzy-4U said:
I remember trying the beta like 2 or 3 years ago and honestly I didn't quite like it back then. It just felt like counterstrike with a reskin pack attached to it.

I've been playing Goldeneye for 10 years now so I was kinda worried about the "feel" of the game. I must say, I'm pretty impressed. The weapons look nice (very nice touch of adding the phantom, though I'd say that the klobb looks a little more dangerous than the original), weapon respawn points seem accurate (for the few levels that I tried at least) and the most important part, the movement feels great; not too slow, not too fast, just right.

The one thing that I really REALLY like is the simplicity of the "Classic" maps. They didn't add shit that wasn't in the original and they kept the textures to a minimum. Very nice that they added invisible walls so you can't drop down and stuff.

As for improvements, I'd say weapon groups is kind of a pain in the ass. Having to type them instead of just selecting them is kinda hit or miss. I tried typing "Power Weapons" for example and it didn't work. Just a minor annoyance, but whatever, maybe I was doing something wrong. I messed around with the options a little bit and maybe I missed it but another thing that needs to be added is Licence to Kill. It's not a proper Goldeneye without that. Again, I may have missed it in the options.

And lastly, remove the jump, or at least for the classic maps (EDIT: Ok, it looks like you can :) ).

Other than that, I'm loving it. I can see myself spending many hours with the game.

LTK is supported :)

Just put the finishing touches on my server. making it reeeaaal retro. No jumping, no falling off ledges, etc.

Dizzy-4U

richisawesome said:
LTK is supported :)

Just put the finishing touches on my server. making it reeeaaal retro. No jumping, no falling off ledges, etc.
I have no complaints then :)

I'm stuck at work for another 3 hours. If you guys are playing by then I'll join.

Rich!

Dizzy-4U said:
I have no complaints then :)

I'm stuck at work for another 3 hours. If you guys are playing by then I'll join.

Not at 4am in the morning (UK time). :lol

I may well alternate between private for mates and another password for neogaf when I get the chance.

Dizzy-4U

Played a few rounds on my Pc this time. This game looks gorgeous.

First thing I did was to put the aim mode on the right click. I'm finding hard to aim properly without the crosshair (not a problem in N64 since you had auto aim) but right click will do just fine.

First match I ended up 3rd so it wasn't so bad, but maaaaaaan, some original maps weren't made for 16 players. In many occasions I literally died like half a second later I respawned. It was chaos :lol

Also, since I live in South America, I thought lag would be pretty bad, but honestly I didn't noticed it at all (260ms response).

Great fun though, I hope more gaffers give it a try.

This runs extremely poorly. I get 9fps in windowed (i think windowed is straight up broken) and around 30fps on fullscreen, about any settings.

I get around 30fps max settings on crysis by the way.

If you can run a Source game, your rig should handle this easily. Drivers possibly? It is still in beta.
Nabs said:
Sounds like something's wrong. I get +60fps with 4xSS. It's even playable with 8x if I wanted.
8x still won't make that game look good.

denomes

Gave this a whirl tonight, seemed pretty cool! Will definitely play some more.

Is there a way to add this into my Steam games list in a "SourceMods" category?

denomes said:
Gave this a whirl tonight, seemed pretty cool! Will definitely play some more.

Is there a way to add this into my Steam games list in a "SourceMods" category?

You can add it like any other non-steam game, but nothing beyond that.

This is already looking promising.

2ugky12.png

Dizzy-4U

phosphor112 said:
This runs extremely poorly. I get 9fps in windowed (i think windowed is straight up broken) and around 30fps on fullscreen, about any settings.

I get around 30fps max settings on crysis by the way.
That's strange, what Pc do you have? I maxed out everything at 1920x1080 and still run at contant 60fps (even with explotions and 16 players).

Top Bottom