• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashing

So, anyone have tips for hitting a 3 wood? I consistently make horrible contact with my 3 wood. I'm either hooking the crap out of it (I swing right handed, so a hook is rather bizarre) or I hit on top of the ball and it runs along the ground. Basically, I can't get any good air or arc on the shot with this club. I'm guessing it has something to do with my approach to the ball (I keep it a little forward in my stance, and I can make good practice swings but invariably screw up with I strike the ball). I usually leave this club in the bag for this reason, it seems to be a hard club to hit. I hit the driver much better.

Edit: I should state that I'm not very good... I'm usually scoring in the 110 range (short game kills my score).

Wizman23

Banned
Aonther thing you beginners shouldn't worry about it what type of ball you are playing. Once you get good and can shoot in the 80's consistently (probably years away) start experimenting with better balls it will indeed improve your score. Pro V 1's are so good because they spin so much they check up pretty quick to where they land, and will even backspin on rare occasions. For me personally there is nothing better then the feeling of a perfectly struck iron on a Pro V1 ball.

Mashing

XiaNaphryz said:
You're talking about just off the tee or also off the deck?

I never use a 3 wood off a tee. On the deck (unless it's in the rough, then I'll use a hybrid or an iron). A coworker of mine shoots into the 90's and he has trouble with the 3 wood.

As for what ball I use (I assume the beginner line was directed at me), I use some pinnacles or recycled balls (x-outs as well). I've played Nike black and PRO-V1X's though (I didn't realize how freaking expensive the latter balls were at the time. I do not play those anymore, unless I find one on the course.

My distance is horrible too, I'm always leaving shots short (I think this is due to my low swing speed even using graphite shafts). Oh well, I've only been playing sporadically for about a year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
XiaNaphryz said:
If you hit the 5 and 9 fine, you need to start hitting at least a 7 iron and a 3 or 4 hybrid well - something to fill that 6-8 gap and 1-4 gap.

As for the driver, stick with a 3 wood for a while and learn how to hit that. It'll be a much longer club than your irons, but easier to hit than a driver. Once you get that down, it'll be easier to try getting your driver down.
I probably would shoot something remotely decent if I went 5i off the tee, but it's just so wuss I can't do it.

Mashing said:
I never use a 3 wood off a tee. On the deck (unless it's in the rough, then I'll use a hybrid or an iron). A coworker of mine shoots into the 90's and he has trouble with the 3 wood.

As for what ball I use (I assume the beginner line was directed at me), I use some pinnacles or recycled balls (x-outs as well). I've played Nike black and PRO-V1X's though (I didn't realize how freaking expensive the latter balls were at the time. I do not play those anymore, unless I find one on the course.

My distance is horrible too, I'm always leaving shots short (I think this is due to my low swing speed even using graphite shafts). Oh well, I've only been playing sporadically for about a year.

You should never have to buy a V1x or a Pro V1. Every hacker in the world buys 'em by the dozen and then hits them OB. Just wander around the OB area at your local course and count yourself up 2-3 bucks every time you find a V1 or a V1X. You'll have 50 bucks in no time.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Angry Grimace said:
You should never have to buy a V1x or a Pro V1. Every hacker in the world buys 'em by the dozen and then hits them OB. Just wander around the OB area at your local course and count yourself up 2-3 bucks every time you find a V1 or a V1X. You'll have 50 bucks in no time.

Pretty much! I've stopped buying new balls altogether tbh. Bought 100 used NXT Tours for about $70 and they're as good as new. I think I'll buy used ProV1x next time, but I always get kinda antsy about teeing off with "better" balls, with poor results due to the antsyness. :D

Wizman23

Banned
I also recommend watching some of Shawn Clements instructional videos on YouTube. Never has an instructor made golf so easy to understand. I have watched tons of instructional videos over the years and usually I lose interest because the instructor makes everything sound so difficult. I liked his YouTube videos so much I bought his DVD which helped my game more then anything ever has. Word to the wise.....if you do watch any instructional videos always take what you learned to the range first and not to the course. You will be thinking too much during your shots and your swing will go to complete shit if on a course.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Keen said:
Pretty much! I've stopped buying new balls altogether tbh. Bought 100 used NXT Tours for about $70 and they're as good as new. I think I'll buy used ProV1x next time, but I always get kinda antsy about teeing off with "better" balls, with poor results due to the antsyness. :D
I always do far better on courses with nice balls because I think my FOCUS level is that much higher; it slows down my (driver) swing, I do practice swings until I get one that feels right...you just can't really replicate that off a mat when you've got ~100 balls to hit at the range.

I basically can't hit anything but shanks on a range with my driver, but I'm getting much more accurate off the tee on a course.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wizman23 said:
I also recommend watching some of Shawn Clements instructional videos on YouTube. Never has an instructor made golf so easy to understand. I have watched tons of instructional videos over the years and usually I lose interest because the instructor makes everything sound so difficult. I liked his YouTube videos so much I bought his DVD which helped my game more then anything ever has. Word to the wise.....if you do watch any instructional videos always take what you learned to the range first and not to the course. You will be thinking too much during your shots and your swing will go to complete shit if on a course.
Do his DVDs give you a lot more over his YouTube videos?

I ascribe to the Shawn Clements way of swinging and love his stuff, but I just figured the DVDs would be a regurgitation of what I've already seen.

SUPREME1

Banned
Quick little story -

My bro-in-law (golf buddy) and I took my best friend golfing with us a few months back. It was my friend's first time golfing, though I had taken him to the range a few weeks earlier. Well, we approach the 7th hole (3-par course) and allow him to go first. He takes his swing, knocks it somewhat in the right direction and begins to move aside so that we can go...

Well, we grab our bags and start walking passed the 7th hole and keep walking...

He asks us where we're going... and we both look at him and say, we're gonna take our shots from the men's distance.

"Fuck you guys."

:lol :lol :lol

fake edit: it's the only hole in the entire course with two distances.

Wizman23

Banned
RubxQub said:
Do his DVDs give you a lot more over his YouTube videos?

I ascribe to the Shawn Clements way of swinging and love his stuff, but I just figured the DVDs would be a regurgitation of what I've already seen.
His DVD is more or less taking you through the entire swing step by step with all sorts of anatomy stuff that makes it easy to understand. It's a 3 DVD package so there is quite a bit of content

Also for you iPhone users golfshot is a fucking phenominal app. It's 30 bucks but it out does stand alone golf gps units that run 400 dollars. If you have an iPhone and are a golfer it's a no brainer. I also bought golfscape this past weekend for 20 bucks because it was made by the makers of golfscape. It's pretty cool and works, bur it's more for show in my opinion. Both golfscape and golfshot are upgraded to iPhone 4 as well

Angry Grimace

Wizman23 said:
His DVD is more or less taking you through the entire swing step by step with all sorts of anatomy stuff that makes it easy to understand. It's a 3 DVD package so there is quite a bit of content

Also for you iPhone users golfshot is a fucking phenominal app. It's 30 bucks but it out does stand alone golf gps units that run 400 dollars. If you have an iPhone and are a golfer it's a no brainer. I also bought golfscape this past weekend for 20 bucks because it was made by the makers of golfscape. It's pretty cool and works, bur it's more for show in my opinion. Both golfscape and golfshot are upgraded to iPhone 4 as well
I wonder how useful that DVD would be for a friend of mine who is athletically inclined, but pretty much a total noob to the game (and who couldn't afford even a single lesson to save his life).

I might consider it, I have a decent enough swing to get the ball going right a fair amount of the time, but lessons have gotten to absurd prices these days and I'm still fouling up far too often.

I've honestly felt that the game of golf is really kind of eating itself alive when it costs over a hundred dollars an hour to even get instruction on how to play the game.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Mashing said:
So, anyone have tips for hitting a 3 wood? I consistently make horrible contact with my 3 wood. I'm either hooking the crap out of it (I swing right handed, so a hook is rather bizarre) or I hit on top of the ball and it runs along the ground. Basically, I can't get any good air or arc on the shot with this club. I'm guessing it has something to do with my approach to the ball (I keep it a little forward in my stance, and I can make good practice swings but invariably screw up with I strike the ball). I usually leave this club in the bag for this reason, it seems to be a hard club to hit. I hit the driver much better.

Edit: I should state that I'm not very good... I'm usually scoring in the 110 range (short game kills my score).

Simple answer is to not use a 3-wood. I know everyone says that fairway woods are easier to hit than irons, but it ain't necessarily so.

I made good friends with my 2-iron and use that instead.

edit: but if you want to persevere, try messing around with your setup a a touch - sounds to me like you have the ball a bit too far back, or maybe the shaft is too long for you - try moving the ball forward a bit, or gripping down on the club a bit or some combination of the two.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Angry Grimace said:
I've honestly felt that the game of golf is really kind of eating itself alive when it costs over a hundred dollars an hour to even get instruction on how to play the game.
What? If you look around, you can find much cheaper instruction than that.

Usually you need to buy a set of lessons to get the price down, but you can also bring a friend or two and split the hour to lower the overall price a bit more, but it'll be even cheaper since you'll be splitting the fee anyway. Plus if you get comfortable with a particular instructor and see them enough, they may even offer you course perks or discounts. I can get a 60-90 min session for about $40 now and often get offers for free rounds.

Angry Grimace

XiaNaphryz said:
What? If you look around, you can find much cheaper instruction than that.

Usually you need to buy a set of lessons to get the price down, but you can also bring a friend or two and split the hour to lower the overall price a bit more, but it'll be even cheaper since you'll be splitting the fee anyway. Plus if you get comfortable with a particular instructor and see them enough, they may even offer you course perks or discounts. I can get a 60-90 min session for about $40 now and often get offers for free rounds.
No, not really.

Show me anywhere in San Diego that's cheaper than that and obviously any good.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Angry Grimace said:

Thing is with golf, you've got a long time to learn to play the game - unlike many other games you won't be written off at 30/40/50/60. Look at Tom Watson. So, you've got a lot of time to work it out for yourself, experiment, learn on your own. You don't actually need lessons.

Look at it this way. If you take a whole load of lessons, and lets say you click with the teacher and it all works and you play golf as well as you possibly can, then all you've got is the rest of your lifetime getting worse. Plus it costs a lot.

If you don't take lessons, play a lot and find out for yourself what works, you'll probably get embarrassed on the course a good deal (coping with that is part of the game), but you'll also have the chance of significantly improving over the years. I'm somewhere north of 50 years old, never had a lesson, took 10 strokes off my handicap over the last two years and am happy as a sandboy. I might even get down to single figures over the next 4/5 years - and that'll be a wonderful feeling. I have friends who did all the lessons stuff years ago, a couple of them the sons of golf pros, and they seem to spend more of their time reflecting on past glories and regretting their physical decline rather than just enjoying the game - for them golf is more of a habit and, dare I say it, a chore - rather than the pleasure it should be.

The only instruction I have ever taken is from people I'm playing a round with - usually after just meeting them in the course car park for the first time - golfers are generous with their knowledge, and you'll eventually work out for yourself what's good and what's bad advice.

XiaNaphryz

Look at it this way. If you take a whole load of lessons, and lets say you click with the teacher and it all works and you play golf as well as you possibly can, then all you've got is the rest of your lifetime getting worse.
Not true at all. You can always get better no matter who you are or how good you play.

I have friends who did all the lessons stuff years ago, a couple of them the sons of golf pros, and they seem to spend more of their time reflecting on past glories and regretting their physical decline rather than just enjoying the game - for them golf is more of a habit and, dare I say it, a chore - rather than the pleasure it should be.
That has nothing to do with them having taken lessons. Someone who gets really good without lessons can easily go through the same thing when they get older.

Taking lessons is mainly about reducing frustration, taking less time to go through the difficult parts of the learning curve, and most importantly understanding your swing to the point where you can learn more by yourself. Some people prefer to go at it alone, more power to them - but at least with someone working with you they can spot flaws you may never ever notice working on your own (outside of setting up a camera to videotape you from different angles).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
XiaNaphryz said:
Not true at all. You can always get better no matter who you are or how good you play.

That has nothing to do with them having taken lessons. Someone who gets really good without lessons can easily go through the same thing when they get older.

Taking lessons is mainly about reducing frustration, taking less time to go through the difficult parts of the learning curve, and most importantly understanding your swing to the point where you can learn more by yourself. Some people prefer to go at it alone, more power to them - but at least with someone working with you they can spot flaws you may never ever notice working on your own (outside of setting up a camera to videotape you from different angles).

Fair enough - I guess it is one of those personal things depending on whether or not you enjoy the experience of learning through your own numerous mistakes or not. Sorry for giong a bit too opinionated on that.

I played my first 9 holes of golf yesterday at a work tournament, shotgun style playing the best ball, we played my ball a few times and I got within 3 feet of the pin on my tee off on a par 3, I seriously started swinging a club like a week ago! so fun! I cant wait to play again and practice more.

fun stuff!

My shots are almost always straight but I don't always get good contact and end up rolling the ball instead of launching it, I can hit my irons 6-9 really well, I have a 4/5 hybrid that I cant hit to save my life and my driver is iffy.. haha

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
JetBlackPanda said:
My shots are almost always straight but I don't always get good contact and end up rolling the ball instead of launching it

Many years ago when I first broke 100 I did it mostly along the ground instead of in the air - except for the huge embarrassment factor (I actually won a cup for that, and that cup still exists somewhere with my name engraved on it) they all count.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Circle T said:
Yep, same here. I like that place. I bought a ion plated Diamana from them a few years ago for an older driver. The Japanese golf equipment market is crazy.

And expensive as all hell! I bought a lob-wedge from there, which actually was kinda cheap, and my current driver is all jdm. Although I didn't buy it from TSG. It's a Vega DAF head with a Roddio shaft. Looks and feels awesome, but it wasn't cheap! :D

Angry Grimace

phisheep said:
Many years ago when I first broke 100 I did it mostly along the ground instead of in the air - except for the huge embarrassment factor (I actually won a cup for that, and that cup still exists somewhere with my name engraved on it) they all count.
I have, if I say so myself, a pretty decent looking swing, and I get that sweet looking trajectory when it comes together, but pretty much all of my problems are just thinking way too much when I swing. Especially on Driver. I would honestly say 50% of my problems are just over thinking off the tee and spraying it everywhere.

RubxQub

Went to the range on Sunday and it was horrifically horrible. Like I'd never picked up a set up clubs in my life. The only club I could hit was my sand wedge...which I guess if I had to pick one would be the one I'd want...but holy shit.

Pretty sure I blew out my right arm, as I was visibly trembling when trying to tee up a driver shot and my arms been sore for like...a month. :lol

Not going to swing my clubs for a bit, but we're going on vacation on Wednesday where the focus on golf is going to be insane. My parent's place where we're all staying has a golf course being built within the community, so we get to play for free while they're building the course out.

A week of free golf...and my arm is all sorts of not in good shape.

Here's to hoping I'm in playing form soon. My love of this game has reminded me that before I started getting into golf, I was about as out of shape as one could be. Fun...

XiaNaphryz

RubxQub said:
Went to the range on Sunday and it was horrifically horrible. Like I'd never picked up a set up clubs in my life. The only club I could hit was my sand wedge...which I guess if I had to pick one would be the one I'd want...but holy shit.

Pretty sure I blew out my right arm, as I was visibly trembling when trying to tee up a driver shot and my arms been sore for like...a month. :lol

Not going to swing my clubs for a bit, but we're going on vacation on Wednesday where the focus on golf is going to be insane. My parent's place where we're all staying has a golf course being built within the community, so we get to play for free while they're building the course out.

A week of free golf...and my arm is all sorts of not in good shape.

Here's to hoping I'm in playing form soon. My love of this game has reminded me that before I started getting into golf, I was about as out of shape as one could be. Fun...
Just stick to half-swings and short game practice (chips/pitches) when you first get back into it to gauge how you're feeling. If the next day you don't seem any worse, try full swings but at a bit slower tempo and increase your speed as you get more comfortable. Ideally, this should force you to focus on your ball-striking - you won't hit it as far, but if you keep hitting it pure you'll at least get the ball up in the air and straight.

MrSerrels

Spoke to my brother a couple of months back. Motherfucker is unnaturally gifted at golf. He shot a fucking 79 when he was nine years old.

He stupidly quit due to the ridiculous amount of pressure put on him, but he was telling me that he played a round for the first time in like 7 or 8 years. First round back he shot a 75.

I've never broken 90. Fuck my life :lol

Everyone in my family is shit hot at golf except me. One of my uncles plays off a +4 handicap. Yep, he has to shoot a 68 round just to keep his handicap.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
On somewhat of a whim I retooled my swing a week or so ago, and after playing 3 rounds with I must say I am very happy with it. Especially my driver, and long game in general, is working really well now. Although I tend to come down on the ball a bit too much with the driver, resulting in pretty high shots, I still get good distance (about 230-250m) and have all but eliminated my slice. I even draw the ball now and again now, which I've never done before. If I can get a more sweeping motion I should be able to hit it 240-260 meters consistantly.
Still struggling a bit with my irons, which is kinda weird since I hit them great on the range (grass as well as mat). But I'm positive I'll figure them out with some more practice.

I also recently reshafted my hybrid (adams a2ts tour proto 21*), and it has gone from a club I had no confidence in, into one that I hit great 8 times out of 10. The shaft I pulled from it, a matrix ozik altus hybrid in lime green ála BSG, I traded for a forged nakashima sandwedge which feels great. I holed a chip for par with it yesterday. It's matte black with a black KBS nickel wedge shaft and a white grip :D Looks badass!
Now I just have to buy a spoon, and I'm all set. Aside from wanting to buy a new set of irons, but that'll probably have to wait since I'm going back to school :(

RubxQub

XiaNaphryz said:
Just stick to half-swings and short game practice (chips/pitches) when you first get back into it to gauge how you're feeling. If the next day you don't seem any worse, try full swings but at a bit slower tempo and increase your speed as you get more comfortable. Ideally, this should force you to focus on your ball-striking - you won't hit it as far, but if you keep hitting it pure you'll at least get the ball up in the air and straight.
Yeah, this is likely what I'll have to do.

When I was at the range that day, I was able to see a few glimmers of hope when I did pretty much what you're saying. I took all the power out of my swing and just connected the club with the ball and get it to look good again...but at the sacrifice of distance.

It still feels a little funny, and I don't think I'll be golfing on Wednesday itself, but Thursday morning is going to be quite a test.

Thanks for the tip, XN.

glddrgn

I've been playing for almost 2 months now, and I'm starting to really love this sport :D

I've been told that the best way to learn is to focus on one particular club in the beginning. So up until now I've been religiously hitting my 7-iron, almost every day.

I'm quite happy with my progress. Still lacking in distance (120 yards carry), but hitting the balls consistent and straight.

However in the meantime, my woods, hybrids and low irons are just sitting there doing nothing. I'd really like to start practicing with at least one of those as well, but a friend of mine says it's too soon and it will hamper my development (he hasn't seen me play yet).

What do you guys think? The added distance would certainly cut a few strokes off my game, but that's only secondary to me at this point. My priority for now is to really improve my skills and technique. I would think that the skills needed to hit with low irons really well would also carry over to my other clubs. True or false? And does the same hold true for woods and hybrids?

Or should I just stick with my 7-iron for now, and perfect that first?

XiaNaphryz

glddrgn said:
I've been playing for almost 2 months now, and I'm starting to really love this sport :D

I've been told that the best way to learn is to focus on one particular club in the beginning. So up until now I've been religiously hitting my 7-iron, almost every day.

I'm quite happy with my progress. Still lacking in distance (120 yards carry), but hitting the balls consistent and straight.

However in the meantime, my woods, hybrids and low irons are just sitting there doing nothing. I'd really like to start practicing with at least one of those as well, but a friend of mine says it's too soon and it will hamper my development (he hasn't seen me play yet).

What do you guys think? The added distance would certainly cut a few strokes off my game, but that's only secondary to me at this point. My priority for now is to really improve my skills and technique. I would think that the skills needed to hit with low irons really well would also carry over to my other clubs. True or false? And does the same hold true for woods and hybrids?

That's pretty much what I did. I hit almost nothing but my 7-iron for the first few months, along with the occasional 3-wood. I moved on to other clubs once I could get mostly good contact for 80% of my shot attempts (they may not go straight, but they at least went up into the air for a good distance).

You can get away with just hitting a 7-iron and 3-wood for a while. When you're really comfortable with a 7 hitting a 6 or 8 shouldn't be that much of a difference. You'll need a bit more adjustment for the 9/PW/SW and even more adjustment for the hybrid/3/4/5. But if you can get the 6/7/8 down, you at least have A) 1 or 2 go-to clubs and B) a basic swing to fall back upon if something goes funny with the other clubs and you need a baseline reference to get back into swinging properly.

Angry Grimace

glddrgn said:

It's like learning guitar for me; there's no point in doing it if it isn't fun so I probably myself would start messing with the other clubs. There is no recognized accepted means to learn golf. Every teacher will teach you slightly differently.

Another thing to realize is that sweet consistent swing is something that 80% of golfers can't ever do. My guess is that a 20 handicap is probably the best a LOT of people will ever do.

How are you learning the game? Taking lessons?

sonicfan

Venerable Member
JetBlackPanda said:
I played my first 9 holes of golf yesterday at a work tournament, shotgun style playing the best ball, we played my ball a few times and I got within 3 feet of the pin on my tee off on a par 3, I seriously started swinging a club like a week ago! so fun! I cant wait to play again and practice more.

fun stuff!

My shots are almost always straight but I don't always get good contact and end up rolling the ball instead of launching it, I can hit my irons 6-9 really well, I have a 4/5 hybrid that I cant hit to save my life and my driver is iffy.. haha

Golf company executive.......EXCELLENT...

mr-burns-picture.jpg

Got him hooked for life.....

glddrgn

Angry Grimace said:
It's like learning guitar for me; there's no point in doing it if it isn't fun so I probably myself would start messing with the other clubs. There is no recognized accepted means to learn golf. Every teacher will teach you slightly differently.

Another thing to realize is that sweet consistent swing is something that 80% of golfers can't ever do. My guess is that a 20 handicap is probably the best a LOT of people will ever do.

How are you learning the game? Taking lessons?

Yes, taking lessons. We're being taught in a group of 6 though. Not ideal, but for beginners it's ok I guess. Where I live, you need to pass a test to be able to play on the non-public courses. I will be taking this test next month, for which I need to score 12 points on 9 holes at hcp 36..

Thanks for the answers!

Angry Grimace

glddrgn said:
Yes, taking lessons. We're being taught in a group of 6 though. Not ideal, but for beginners it's ok I guess. Where I live, you need to pass a test to be able to play on the non-public courses. I will be taking this test next month, for which I need to score 12 points on 9 holes at hcp 36..

Thanks for the answers!
...pass a test? What?

Anyone got any tips on hitting a driver? I can't hit it at all. I usually top it. Whenever I go out and play a round I usually just use my irons because I suck with the driver and woods.

Mashing

XiaNaphryz said:
That's pretty much what I did. I hit almost nothing but my 7-iron for the first few months, along with the occasional 3-wood. I moved on to other clubs once I could get mostly good contact for 80% of my shot attempts (they may not go straight, but they at least went up into the air for a good distance).

You can get away with just hitting a 7-iron and 3-wood for a while. When you're really comfortable with a 7 hitting a 6 or 8 shouldn't be that much of a difference. You'll need a bit more adjustment for the 9/PW/SW and even more adjustment for the hybrid/3/4/5. But if you can get the 6/7/8 down, you at least have A) 1 or 2 go-to clubs and B) a basic swing to fall back upon if something goes funny with the other clubs and you need a baseline reference to get back into swinging properly.

So you used a 7 iron for short yardage approach shots? What about sand shots? I can't imagine only playing with my 7 iron and 3 wood. However, I can see the benefit in just trying to consistently strike the ball properly. I assume you have to adjust your backswing if you just play with limited club selection?

XiaNaphryz

Mashing said:
So you used a 7 iron for short yardage approach shots? What about sand shots? I can't imagine only playing with my 7 iron and 3 wood. However, I can see the benefit in just trying to consistently strike the ball properly. I assume you have to adjust your backswing if you just play with limited club selection?
I didn't even attempt a round of golf for those first few months. Not until I started hitting the other clubs did I go ahead and play at a 9 hole course.

There are people out there who advocate playing a round with a limited club selection though, as it forces you to learn how to hit different types of shots with various clubs. There's a story in the Impact Zone book I recommended earlier in the thread of how Gary Player was a certain distance from the hole and the caddy handed him a club without being told. Player asked what he was doing, and the answer he got was "that's the club you would hit at this distance." He then told the caddy to get a bunch of balls out right there, and he proceeded to hit a ball with each club in the bag and they all landed on the green, after which he said to the caddy "don't assume just because I'm at a certain distance I'm going to use one particular club."

I'm probably not retelling this very well, but it was a very interesting bit in the book to illustrate that you can hit many different shots from a particular club. And I have used a 7-iron for a short approach shot in the past - it was really windy, so any sort of wedge shot would likely be blown off somewhere. So I just used a bit of a half-swing punch shot to try and get to the green.

Angry Grimace

johnny_park said:
Anyone got any tips on hitting a driver? I can't hit it at all. I usually top it. Whenever I go out and play a round I usually just use my irons because I suck with the driver and woods.
Topping the ball usually means your head is moving up between where you start your backswing and where you actually contact the ball.

If your head is in one place when you start your swing, and several inches higher when you contact the ball, your swing will end up higher than the ball. Try holding your head mostly still.

Mashing

XiaNaphryz said:
I didn't even attempt a round of golf for those first few months. Not until I started hitting the other clubs did I go ahead and play at a 9 hole course.

There are people out there who advocate playing a round with a limited club selection though, as it forces you to learn how to hit different types of shots with various clubs. There's a story in the Impact Zone book I recommended earlier in the thread of how Gary Player was a certain distance from the hole and the caddy handed him a club without being told. Player asked what he was doing, and the answer he got was "that's the club you would hit at this distance." He then told the caddy to get a bunch of balls out right there, and he proceeded to hit a ball with each club in the bag and they all landed on the green, after which he said to the caddy "don't assume just because I'm at a certain distance I'm going to use one particular club."

I'm probably not retelling this very well, but it was a very interesting bit in the book to illustrate that you can hit many different shots from a particular club. And I have used a 7-iron for a short approach shot in the past - it was really windy, so any sort of wedge shot would likely be blown off somewhere. So I just used a bit of a half-swing punch shot to try and get to the green.

I really don't make it out to the range much. My practice usually ends up being a round a golf. And yes, I use my 7 iron for short approach shots that do not have a obstruction to the green or, as you said, when it's windy. But, I couldn't imagine trying to get distance from a 7 iron while I'm still 250 yards out or something. And as I said earlier in this thread, my 3 wood is a lost cause at the moment.

XiaNaphryz

Mashing said:
I really don't make it out to the range much. My practice usually ends up being a round a golf. And yes, I use my 7 iron for short approach shots that do not have a obstruction to the green or, as you said, when it's windy. But, I couldn't imagine trying to get distance from a 7 iron while I'm still 250 yards out or something. And as I said earlier in this thread, my 3 wood is a lost cause at the moment.
Well, if all I had was a 3 wood and a 7 iron and I was 250 out, I'd use the 3 wood. If I didn't feel comfortable that day hitting it off the deck, then I'd just hit the 7 iron twice.

So a friend of mine just GAVE me his 1-hybrid (15 degree) Nike SUMO SQ club and it's FUCKING AWESOME. He hated it, because apparently it's "offset" which he said helps stop slicing. For him, a guy who hits a natural draw, it was awful; for me, the club is absolutely fucking perfect. I played a full round with it today for the first time and I only missed a few fairways with it, and even when it did, the shots were pretty true. One time I was just aiming to the right too much.

Overall, I didn't do any better than I usually do, but that's because my short game was crap -- most likely due to not playing as much in the past month. Now I just want to play ALL THE TIME.

RubxQub

I'm pretty tempted to give some kind of instruction a go, but running into shitty instructors is kind of scaring me.

Reading over at TheSandTrap, someone recommended this site: Evolvr

Basically you submit your swing videos and they have pros who will send you video analysis back and try and help you shape your swing. Seems like a nice option, as it's a direct personal response and it's pretty cheap if you decide to keep doing it (like $39 for 4 video uploads and responses a month).

One of the instructors on the site is the admin on TheSandTrap who is insanely knowledgeable, so I'm pretty optimistic that it would be a great way to improve.

Probably going to give it a try...I'll just have to bring video equipment to the range next time which will be pretty awkward. :lol

Oh, and I just recently figured out how to hit a flop shot and it's additively dangerous. A sweet flop looks and feels so good...but every now and then I blade it across the green. Pretty confident with it, though.

Also went to the range last night and was miraculously hitting my driver really well without even trying. As in I literally wasn't putting any muscle behind my shots and it was still going like 260ish, dead straight. I can't tell you how odd it was to hardly even swing the club and see that kind of result.

When I was out of balls I felt so insanely unsatisfied...and I wanted to hit more and more and more...I even pulled out 2 of my own balls and smacked them just because I still had the itch. So dumb, but I wanted to keep hitting so bad...I should have bought another small bucket instead.

Also, was able to bounce a ball off my pitching wedge like 10 times in a row in a really controlled manner out of nowhere. I've been practicing it in my house, but for some reason I was able to whip it out pretty solid at the range. So fun.

FUCK!

I want to turn life off and play golf forever.

Circle T

RubxQub said:
Oh, and I just recently figured out how to hit a flop shot and it's additively dangerous. A sweet flop looks and feels so good...but every now and then I blade it across the green. Pretty confident with it, though.
While looking sweet, the situations that a flop shot are truly needed are very few and far between. The margin or error on those types of shots is so huge, that it really is a shot you should only use in very rare instances. I've been playing for close to 30 years, and even I don't like to use that shot unless absolutely required. It doesn't hurt to work on it at the range every now and then, because you never know when you might need to really use it. But, if you just have a normal chip shot, with no specific trouble in your way, just hit a regular shot. Blading it across the green, or sliding right under it, will cost you more shots than hitting a poor normal chip.

RubxQub

Circle T said:
While looking sweet, the situations that a flop shot are truly needed are very few and far between. The margin or error on those types of shots is so huge, that it really is a shot you should only use in very rare instances. I've been playing for close to 30 years, and even I don't like to use that shot unless absolutely required. It doesn't hurt to work on it at the range every now and then, because you never know when you might need to really use it. But, if you just have a normal chip shot, with no specific trouble in your way, just hit a regular shot. Blading it across the green, or sliding right under it, will cost you more shots than hitting a poor normal chip.
Completely agree...it's just my new toy to play with at the moment so I'm abusing it. :D

RubxQub said:
Completely agree...it's just my new toy to play with at the moment so I'm abusing it. :D
I've been messing around with inverted shots ever since a bartender told me about it (shooting lefty with the club titled vertically instead of horizontally). I've actually hit some straight and about 100 yards at the range. :lol

RubxQub

CajoleJuice said:
I've been messing around with inverted shots ever since a bartender told me about it (shooting lefty with the club titled vertically instead of horizontally). I've actually hit some straight and about 100 yards at the range. :lol
The trick is to have a lefty in your group so you can use one of his clubs and hit it normally, but in the same club position (vertical).

After I'm good with juggling the ball on my wedges, that's another shot I want to work on just for kicks.

...or perhaps I'll work on juggling the ball and hitting it out of the air...

...or maybe I should just work on consistently striking the golf ball? :lol

Circle T

RubxQub said:
The trick is to have a lefty in your group so you can use one of his clubs and hit it normally, but in the same club position (vertical).
I used to just hit it with the backside of my 1-iron. They were Mizuno blades, so the backside of the 1-iron actually had a little "loft" to it. I could hit it about 100 yards if I had a clean swing at it. Nothing special, but good to get out of trouble with. I don't have those clubs any more, so I just flip over my 5-iron now if I have to hit that shot.

I can actually swing pretty decent left-handed. A buddy of mine is lefty, and usually once a year we will go play and switch clubs to see who plays better wrong-handed. I shot a 49 once, which I thought was awesome. I can only hit it about 200 off the tee, but it's pretty straight, so I can manage that. Pretty fun switching it up like that every now and then. It's like learning the game all over again.

RubxQub said:
...or perhaps I'll work on juggling the ball and hitting it out of the air...
If you really want to take it up a notch, learn to stop the ball on the face of your wedge while bouncing it, then start bouncing it again, and THEN smack it out of the air. :D

Tiger took all the fun out of doing this, btw. People have been doing this forever, and it was always a fun little time waster. I used to always do this if there was ever a wait to tee off. Or during rainy days working in the pro shop. But then Tiger had to go and do it in a Nike commercial. Now anyone who sees someone bouncing a ball on their wedge says "Hey, I saw Tiger do that" or whatever. Tiger, always stealing everyone's thunder.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I've always wanted to get into golf. The clubs, price and the fact that I'd have to hit a tiny ball into a hole across the field seems intimidating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom