• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
My parents made me play this when I was a kid. I was decent enough, but eventually grew to hate it. I really hope I don't end up having to go to golf outings for my job later on in life.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I decided to go with this putter:

2ahxlzp.jpg

Putts just roll straight and true with that thing. I'm more of a SBST putter than an arc putter, so take that under consideration.

Still getting used to the new irons a bit, as I'm moving up from a regular flex to a stiffer one. Shots are going pretty much where I'm aiming at, though not quite as far as my usual distances with my older set - I suspect it'll improve once I get used to the heavier shaft. And people aren't kidding about "the Mizuno feel," when you strike it pure you feel it instantly. And when it's slightly off, you definitely hear and feel it.

rage1973

Posted rounds of 80 and 79 this week and my handicap is now finally 9.5. I bought myself new Cleveland CG-15 wedges to celebrate. If I could drive more consistently I would shoot mid 70s since my short game is really good right now.

CG15_Black-Pearl_hero-773x1024.jpg

I finally upgraded my driver and got a new Taylor Made. Shot a 45 last weekend on the back 9 of a course (hole 18 destroyed me as I had to hit over a small lake to reach the rest of the fairway..totally psyched me out). I've only broke 100 once and was on target to do it again. One birdie, a few pars...not bad after not playing for 6 months.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Gamecocks625 said:
I finally upgraded my driver and got a new Taylor Made. Shot a 45 last weekend on the back 9 of a course (hole 18 destroyed me as I had to hit over a small lake to reach the rest of the fairway..totally psyched me out). I've only broke 100 once and was on target to do it again. One birdie, a few pars...not bad after not playing for 6 months.

Makes me shudder just reading it. I did manage once to accidentally bounce a ball off the surface of a small lake to reach the green, but otherwise these things give me the heebie-jeebies.

Now I play at a course with no lakes.

Second time round I somehow contrived to hit a ball into the sea off the eighth tee.

Water is magnetic.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Went out to my parent's place in Delaware, and they are in the process of construction a new golf course just outside of their house (Plantation Lakes)...but the first 5 holes are open to people who live in the community. Got to play with my mom and uncle, which was the first time I've played with people who aren't my friends.

It was kind of crazy, but it was easily the best golf I've ever played. Now, understand that I'm still up and coming (only been playing for less than a year, and it's really only like 4 months considering the off-season), but I was able to drain a par-4 for par, 3 bogeys, and a double bogey (one of the bogey's I was shooting for par, but blew the putt, and on the par I shot, I was shooting for birdie and also blew the putt).

My shots were super clean, I handled awkward lies extremely well, my driver shots were right down the line (but a little short), my iron play was top notch for me.

Super fun. Amazing golf shots feel so damn satisfying.

I'm slowly adopting a more Stack and Tilt method of golf swinging, and even if I don't fully adopt the method, some of the principles are really really showing substantial improvements in my game, most namely in my ball striking. With putting a greater emphasis on my left foot and keeping the left arm stiff as long as possible, I've been able to finally start hitting down on the ball instead of scooping it. That feeling of great compression is addicting.

My only regret is that I didn't get into this game sooner. I love this!

Oh, and gear update.

I'm now using a Callaway FT-iQ driver, 10 loft. They really aren't kidding when they say it'll hit the straightest shots of your life. I'm still getting used to it's weight (it feels lighter than I'm used to) and it's actually the first stiff-flex driver I've used (my last trip to Dick's revealed that my swing speed dictates a stiff shaft vs. a flex...I didn't know!)...but the results have been awesome.

I'm also using an Odyssey White-Hot Sabertooth Putter. The ball pick-up is fun, the look is great, the case is spiffy (magnetic clasp) and the feel when I do my stroke is nice and smooth. I was looking at picking up one of those Backstryke's, but I'm adopting a bit more of a forward press stance with my putter naturally anyways, so I figured I'd save some coin.

kharma45

Went to the driving range 2 days ago, first time I'd swung a club in about 2-3 years.

Had some pretty terrible drives but some decent ones too, might try and get back into golfing again. No point in having a course membership and not using it.

Still sore from it though lol

Marvie_3

Banned
kharma45 said:
Went to the driving range 2 days ago, first time I'd swung a club in about 2-3 years.

Had some pretty terrible drives but some decent ones too, might try and get back into golfing again. No point in having a course membership and not using it.

Still sore from it though lol
I don't get a course membership because I hate playing the same course every time.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
RubxQub said:
Got to play with my mom and uncle, which was the first time I've played with people who aren't my friends.

It was kind of crazy, but it was easily the best golf I've ever played.

I find the same thing all the time. I think it has to do with living up to your family's expectations first time you play with them.

Playing with friends and acquaintances I am sort of run-of-the-mill, but first time I played with my son and shot 78 (on a par-57) and first time with my daughter and shot 31 (on a nine-hole par-3). Never got anywhere near that latter score since.

Decado

I'm getting over back problems and missed last season. I sooo badly want to get back onto the course. Maybe in another month.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Gallbaro said:
I want to get back into golf sooo bad. However at my height I am just to damn expensive to get clubs for.

You don't mention whether you are particularly tall or short. But either way, try hanging around golf clubs until you find someone else about your height and rich enough to replace their clubs regularly. I've had very good times with other people's cast-offs.

Marvie_3

Banned
phisheep said:
You don't mention whether you are particularly tall or short. But either way, try hanging around golf clubs until you find someone else about your height and rich enough to replace their clubs regularly. I've had very good times with other people's cast-offs.
I'm assuming he's tall. If he was shorter he could just use a kid sized set. :lol

AVclub

So I just went out this weekend for my first ever golf game. We played 18 holes with a cart. I used my crappy clubs I bought for cheap at a yard sale, but had a blast. It was a 9 hole public course in Jersey and my friend and I were on a cart.

Since then, I spent $150 on a Diablo driver, bought some gloves and today went to another course by myself. This one was a full 18 hole public course that's supposed to be one of the best in Jersey. I opted to walk it, so that was quite exhausting. I was tossed into a foursome with two caddies and a dude who plays all the time. They were very supportive, but I know I must have slowed them down tremendously.

It was still a ton of fun! I shot a 56 on the front 9 (which was a par 36) then stopped keeping score for the back nine as my body became fatigued and my game fell apart.

Anyone have suggestions for a good place for novices to play in NJ? I can't wait to play some more and look forward to becoming more proficient.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Going out for a round of 18 with 3 friends for my bachelor party, and I haven't played in probably ~3 years. Noticed a pretty sizable dent in my driver, so I went down to the local Golf superstore, and I was amazed at the selection of formerly super awesome drivers that were like ~30-40 bucks. :lol Got a barely even scratched R580 for 35 bucks. It cracks me up since these clubs were 300-400 bucks when I last played and I sincerely doubt a hacker like me would ever noticed the difference :D

Now to find a nice set of cheap-o Callaway irons or something!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I managed to break that R580 in six holes, but they gave me an equal condition R580XD for the same price to replace it. I had a good time messing with the R9 supertri at the store, but I couldn't really notice a huge difference.

Plus I got a set of old X-12 irons for free since my friend's uncle died and he decided to just leave them at my house (basically I get them for free). The only thing it's missing is strangely, the 7 iron. No clue what to do about that one.

I just started to play golf, swung my first club a few days ago, does anyone have any good online sources for beginners? not only on swing but stance and what each club is good for etc..

thanks everyone!

edit: i have read the wiki link in the first post that helped a lot.

XiaNaphryz

JetBlackPanda said:
I just started to play golf, swung my first club a few days ago, does anyone have any good online sources for beginners? not only on swing but stance and what each club is good for etc..

thanks everyone!

http://golf.about.com/od/beginners/a/faq_beginners.htm

http://www.youtube.com/user/clemshaw

Lots of vids up at Shawn Clement's channel above, but as a beginner I'd start with some of his older ones. Focus more on the concepts than the mechanics until you get a feel for how your own swing works, then apply as needed.

Angry Grimace

JetBlackPanda said:

thanks everyone!

I'd buy a physical book, and supplement it with a few lessons.

You can usually buy lessons in a package deal. Almost nobody (who isn't a student or professional) takes lessons on a regular basis because lessons cost enough to solve hunger crises in certain African countries. You will definitely need some lessons since it's almost impossible to "see" what's wrong with a given swing unless you're trained at doing it.

Probably going to get flamed a lot, but I like the "Golf for Dummies" book if you want to see swing and what kind of motion you're supposed to be doing. It's pretty decent at giving pictures, etc. on the basics of golf. I honestly also find that just meticulously copying a pro until you can get the ball moving pretty decently helps you get started on the basics. It's not going to turn you into a single-capper, but you'll at least get an idea of how to swing, etc.

What club is good for what depends on your ability to get the ball in the air. If you don't have at least a decent looking stroke that can move the ball the way it's intended to, it's hard to really say. Most people for whatever reason seem to base their strokes off of the "150 club" which doesn't mean they shoot 150 like I do :)lol) but refers to the club that goes 150 yards.

Last word: Don't buy a set of clubs that's super expensive until you have a reason to believe you'll play in the future. Golf is a game that spits people out because by design it's insanely difficult. If you want a decent set of clubs, try out something like http://www.diamondtour.com/ that sells "clones" of the 700 dollar sets. Callaway, Nike and Taylor Made don't make their clubs with voodoo, and while a clone of a given set won't necessarily perform just like the club it's cloning, it's not like an off the rack set of OEM clubs is necessarily filled with magic pixie dust either. :lol

For no real reason, and not in response to the above guy, here's what's in my bag right now:

Driver: Taylor Made R580XD 9.5*
Fairway wood: Titleist 975D 15*
Hybrids: 20* and 23* Nickent 3DX RC
Irons: 5-PW Callaway X-18 uniflex
Wedges: Inazone 56* (Titleist Vokey clone, looking to get a lob and a gap sooner or later)
Putter: Taylor Made Rossa Anser clone, I forgot the name.

I'm exceedingly shitty, but I also like buying things. :lol :lol

XiaNaphryz

Angry Grimace said:
I'd buy a physical book, and supplement it with a few lessons.
Agreed. I recommend:

Angry Grimace said:
Last word: Don't buy a set of clubs that's super expensive until you have a reason to believe you'll play in the future. Golf is a game that spits people out because by design it's insanely difficult.
Even then, you should still try to be fitted, especially if you're shorter or taller than average. You don't need new clubs to be fitted either, you can take any old set to a good fitter and they can make adjustments. Also as you get better and your swing speed increases, you'll want to get another fitting to see if you need to change shaft flexes.

Angry Grimace

XiaNaphryz said:
Agreed. I recommend:

Even then, you should still try to be fitted, especially if you're shorter or taller than average. You don't need new clubs to be fitted either, you can take any old set to a good fitter and they can make adjustments. Also as you get better and your swing speed increases, you'll want to get another fitting to see if you need to change shaft flexes.
I've heard great things about The Art of Putting, but I think those are more aimed at people who already play and have trouble with those, right?

Getting fitted can be really expensive unless you do it online at one of those component/clone sites, and you have to know what you're looking for for that. Myself, I'm lucky in that I'm right in the right height/arm length zone to not require any lie adjustment. :D Then again, part of whether you need lie/shaft length adjustment is how you swing, you have to at least have an idea of what your swing looks like, imo.

I would also recommend lessons. And damn the game is expensive. Luckily I get taken to golf by vendors or I would never play. I bought my clubs from http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/, they are clones. Don't know how good pine meadow is these days but mine were clones of some kind of Nikes. For the standard clubs, sand wedge, putter, driver, and bag, it was less than $400.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this game.

XiaNaphryz

Angry Grimace said:
I've heard great things about The Art of Putting, but I think those are more aimed at people who already play and have trouble with those, right?
Not at all. In fact, it's best if you have no experience at all with the Stan Utley books since he doesn't go by traditional methods, so you lose the awkward transition phase.

Getting fitted can be really expensive unless you do it online at one of those component/clone sites, and you have to know what you're looking for for that. Myself, I'm lucky in that I'm right in the right height/arm length zone to not require any lie adjustment. :D Then again, part of whether you need lie/shaft length adjustment is how you swing, you have to at least have an idea of what your swing looks like, imo.
The fitting itself is actually supposed to be free. It's never a bad thing to know your numbers. If you have to have adjustments made, then of course there will be some costs there - something like adjusting shaft length or clubhead loft/lie is usually around $10-15 a club. New shafts are usually around $20-30 each depending on what kind of shaft you need to get. Grips are about $3-5 or so.

That may seem a lot, but (assuming the set you're using was cheap to begin with) it's ultimately a lot cheaper than buying a brand new high end set ($100 vs $1000+) - the only thing easier there is that they're usually built to order with your fitting needs, so no extra cost for that.

I've seen debate on whether absolute beginners should even bother with a fitting because their swing may change a great deal in a short amount of time. At the very least the basics should be fitted, like shaft length and flex. No need to worry about things like lie angle.

Angry Grimace

negreenfield said:
I would also recommend lessons. And damn the game is expensive. Luckily I get taken to golf by vendors or I would never play. I bought my clubs from http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/, they are clones. Don't know how good pine meadow is these days but mine were clones of some kind of Nikes. For the standard clubs, sand wedge, putter, driver, and bag, it was less than $400.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this game.
It's not that expensive if you don't insist on playing the awesome courses all the time (and if you aren't good, it can be frustrating to pay 100+ bucks to play a course that's brutal).

There's plenty of Championship length (not quality :lol) courses around here I can walk straight on for a twilight weekend game for less than 35 with cart, or even less walking. It's not really an apt comparison though; San Diego (where I'm at) is kind of a Golf mecca in that we have over 90 golf courses within 40 miles of the city center and we have all-year weather.

You always CAN get really expensive if you want and play Torrey Pines, which hosted the US Open in '08 and is a muni (granted, Torrey South where the Open was played is $61.00, but the price for non-SD residents is $183.00).

Circle T

Now here is a thread I can get into :)

XiaNaphryz said:
I've seen debate on whether absolute beginners should even bother with a fitting because their swing may change a great deal in a short amount of time. At the very least the basics should be fitted, like shaft length and flex. No need to worry about things like lie angle.
This is very true. A beginner should just get a set of clubs that roughly fit them, and then get to swinging. It will take some time for them to figure out their own personal swing mechanics and get some muscle memory built up. Before that happens, any specialized fitting is going to be a total waste of time, effort and $$$. Once a person has a fairly repeatable swing down, then they can start worrying about getting a more precise fit.

Angry Grimace

Circle T said:
Now here is a thread I can get into :)

This is very true. A beginner should just get a set of clubs that roughly fit them, and then get to swinging. It will take some time for them to figure out their own personal swing mechanics and get some muscle memory built up. Before that happens, any specialized fitting is going to be a total waste of time, effort and $$$. Once a person has a fairly repeatable swing down, then they can start worrying about getting a more precise fit.
You would be surprised at the number of long term players that never get anything fit and play everything from OEM standard and just work their strokes around it.

Circle T

Angry Grimace said:
You would be surprised at the number of long term players that never get anything fit and play everything from OEM standard and just work their strokes around it.
Sadly, I wouldn't. I grew up in the business. My father is a club pro, and I used to be a teaching pro for many years as well. It really is sad how many people out there could be playing SOOO much better if they just spent a little time to get fit and then, more importantly, actually took some lessons to learn to use their clubs properly. A bad swing is a bad swing, no matter what clubs you're swinging.

I have a couple friends who spend more time worrying about having all the newest stuff rather than learning how to swing it properly. One of them is a 5-hdcp, but could probably play to a scratch, or better, if he would stop worrying about his clubs, shafts, balls, etc. Oh well. I'll just keep taking their money every time we play, so it works fine for me. :D

XiaNaphryz

Circle T said:
One of them is a 5-hdcp, but could probably play to a scratch, or better, if he would stop worrying about his clubs, shafts, balls, etc.
Not much you can do to cure equipment whores. Especially if they're big fans of a particular company, like Mizuno.

If I had a ton more money, I think I'd end up like one of those as well - lord knows I'm already like that with gaming equipment. :lol

DD-11

Can't believe I missed last year's thread. I'm a decent weekend golfer I guess, shoot about mid nineties. My goal this lifetime is to break 90.

I've got TaylorMade Burner irons and hybrids with a King Cobra driver I got for cheap on ebay a few years back. If anyone is looking to upgrade their irons, I recommend the Burners.

edit: worried that even talking about a website is against TOS.

For those who are stat trackers, what stats are most interesting/important to you. Is what other golfers are carrying important?

Circle T

XiaNaphryz said:
Not much you can do to cure equipment whores. Especially if they're big fans of a particular company, like Mizuno.l
No, they aren't those single brand types. They ARE the type, though, that think that every single new thing will help them somehow. Case in point, one of them is really dying to get one of the new Rossa Ghost putters. I mean, whatever, it's their money, and they both have plenty of it. It's just really funny how mad they get when I beat them with my "totally outdated" stuff (R7-SQ, 906F, MP60, etc). :lol

DD-11 said:
For those who are stat trackers, what stats are most interesting/important to you.
FIR, GIR, Scrambling, Putts. For anyone who is semi-serious, those should be there. Anything beyond that would be a bonus, but those 4 should be there for sure.

DD-11 said:
Is what other golfers are carrying important?
You bet. That kind of thing is always good for sparking conversation. Could be a good way to build some interaction in the site.

XiaNaphryz

DD-11 said:
For those who are stat trackers, what stats are most interesting/important to you. Is what other golfers are carrying important?
Just the obvious ones - fairways hit, GIR, putts.

I don't care what other golfers are carrying, even if someone seems to be using something they shouldn't - if they want to hit blades, as long as they understand the pros and cons of the choice given their skillset it's fine with me.

If you mean just in general though, it's just another discussion topic and can be fun. You want to get into a "forged vs cast" argument or something? ;)

DD-11

Scrambling...forgot about that one. Thanks!

No, not arguments, just what golfers find interesting. I know what interests me and what I like, but I'd like the appeal to be larger obviously. :lol I'm hoping that the few users I have will use the feedback function and/or the facebook page.

XiaNaphryz

Circle T said:
I must admit, NeoGAF is just about the last place I would have expected to run into someone who is also on GolfWRX :lol
Everything has a primary forum hub on the internet. You gotta go where the information is, regardless of the noise ratio. :lol

I don't really post there at all. Just like the AVS forums, I mainly lurk.

Circle T

XiaNaphryz said:
Everything has a primary forum hub on the internet. You gotta go where the information is, regardless of the noise ratio. :lol
Very true. I still read BSG every now and then, even though they are total shills. They do get some good info every now and then, even if it is biased to help them sell stuff.

I started playing this year after buying a set of golf clubs in March for around $800 AUD.

Would have played more weekends than not until about a month ago as winter has started to make it unbearable outside.

Hopefully in a few more weeks the bad weather will have passed and I can get back out again.

I was starting to get half decent. I hit 97, 99 and 95 the last three rounds that I played on my local course (which is pretty easy but cheap and very convenient for me).

Prior to that I was wasting my time with the driver and hitting them off the fairway every tee shot.

I only used the 5 iron (off the tee and along the fairways), 9 iron and lob wedge for short game and of course my putter for the greens.

I saw a dramatic increase in my consistency when I started doing this as I learnt how to hit well with my 5 and 9 iron. I would say I am now pretty confident using those clubs.

However, I am afraid that I will hit a plateau if I cant use my driver.

What would be the best tips for someone learning to hit with a driver? I am short and the driver feels way too long for me to use. Also, I try to hit the ball way too hard when the driver is in my hands.

XiaNaphryz

chicko1983 said:
I started playing this year after buying a set of golf clubs in March for around $800 AUD.

Would have played more weekends than not until about a month ago as winter has started to make it unbearable outside.

Hopefully in a few more weeks the bad weather will have passed and I can get back out again.

I was starting to get half decent. I hit 97, 99 and 95 the last three rounds that I played on my local course (which is pretty easy but cheap and very convenient for me).

Prior to that I was wasting my time with the driver and hitting them off the fairway every tee shot.

I only used the 5 iron (off the tee and along the fairways), 9 iron and lob wedge for short game and of course my putter for the greens.

I saw a dramatic increase in my consistency when I started doing this as I learnt how to hit well with my 5 and 9 iron. I would say I am now pretty confident using those clubs.

However, I am afraid that I will hit a plateau if I cant use my driver.

What would be the best tips for someone learning to hit with a driver? I am short and the driver feels way too long for me to use. Also, I try to hit the ball way too hard when the driver is in my hands.
If you hit the 5 and 9 fine, you need to start hitting at least a 7 iron and a 3 or 4 hybrid well - something to fill that 6-8 gap and 1-4 gap.

As for the driver, stick with a 3 wood for a while and learn how to hit that. It'll be a much longer club than your irons, but easier to hit than a driver. Once you get that down, it'll be easier to try getting your driver down.

Circle T

chicko1983 said:
The extra length of the driver will naturally create more speed, so don't swing harder. The harder you swing, the more precise you need to be to make good contact. And precise contact will do more for creating a good shot than high speed will. Just swing nice and easy, and let the length of the club do the work.

General tips for the driver are pretty simple. Play the ball a little forward in your stance. This will aid in getting the ball airborne, as you will be catching it more on the up swing. And tee it up fairly high. This as well will help you strike it more on the up swing. I personally like to tee the ball so that if I set my driver down behind it, the top edge of the face is right at the center of the ball. That way when I come through the shot, the ball will more likely strike the top center of the club face, where you will get the most energy transfer.

But really, don't worry about the driver much. If you struggle with it, back it down to a 3 or 5 wood off the tee. As the clubs get longer, they also lose loft. Both of those things make hitting the ball consistently very difficult. So maybe try teeing off with a 5-wood every now and then until you get the hang of its length. Then move to the 3-wood, and eventually the driver.

But don't get frustrated with it. I've been playing for 28+ years, and typically shoot near par, but I still struggle with the driver the most out of all my clubs. It is just natural for that club to be a problem.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Circle T said:
I must admit, NeoGAF is just about the last place I would have expected to run into someone who is also on GolfWRX :lol
I agree. Neogaf is one of the last places I would expect to run into a golfwrxer....

Circle T

sonicfan said:
I agree. Neogaf is one of the last places I would expect to run into a golfwrxer....
HAHA, yep. He does make a good point though. There are those places around the web that are just THE place to go for info and news and stuff. NeoGAF is obviously that place when it comes to video games, and GolfWRX is, to me at least, that place with golf.

It is funny though. I'm 32 years old. I've been golfing since the early 80's, and playing video games from around that same time as well with the 2600 and NES. But in all those years, the crossover of friends and people I know who enjoy both has been very small. But I guess that shows just how big GAF and WRX really are. Two large communities like that obviously expand on the possibility finding of some crossover. A welcome crossover, I must say. :D

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Circle T said:
HAHA, yep. He does make a good point though. There are those places around the web that are just THE place to go for info and news and stuff. NeoGAF is obviously that place when it comes to video games, and GolfWRX is, to me at least, that place with golf.

It is funny though. I'm 32 years old. I've been golfing since the early 80's, and playing video games from around that same time as well with the 2600 and NES. But in all those years, the crossover of friends and people I know who enjoy both has been very small. But I guess that shows just how big GAF and WRX really are. Two large communities like that obviously expand on the possibility finding of some crossover. A welcome crossover, I must say. :D

I'm also on GolfWRX! Used to visit Bombsquad as well, but stopped going since it's just one big circle jerk over there. With Todd in the middle.
I also frequent Tourspec as I love japanese made equipment.

W Hudson

sonicfan said:

Chalk up another WRXer here. Most the stuff in my bag I purchased off their buy/sell/trade forum. Been playing since 05 or so, work has been a bitch on my game, handicap currently at 11.5.

Circle T

Keen said:
I also frequent Tourspec as I love japanese made equipment.
Yep, same here. I like that place. I bought a ion plated Diamana from them a few years ago for an older driver. The Japanese golf equipment market is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom