• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

We tasked my mother in law to look for them because she lives near like 4 Gamestops. She went into one that had Wii display boxes stacked in front of the window and asked for one. When they told her they didn't and had no idea when they would she destroyed their display.

Thats awesome. Take it out on the employees who have no control over it and ruin their day.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I have never preordered a game console before; can I usually preorder them on GameStop.com or do I have to go to one of their stores?

Generally in stores. Some times the website has it's own allocation for online preorders. Mixed bag on whether in-store pick up is an option, or just ship to home.

LogN

I can only speak to what Gamestop is doing. I don't have any information for other sites or stores, sorry :)

PMS341

Or give 'em an awesome story ;)

Considering corporate forces marketing on the stores, and empty system boxes are required on the sales floor most times (to show they "carry" the product at all), destroying displays is far from an "awesome" story. Shit like this is why people loathe retail.

Again, I cannot stress enough, regardless of Gamestop's allocation, they personally will hold units instead of shipping them out. Web-In-Store is not a consumer-focused entity, it exists purely to benefit the company via extra forced profits. This is not a practice worth supporting.

I plan on buying two switches at launch to sell. I know I am one of those guys......Im sorry. I think Nintendo will bottleneck sales like always. I will get one from GS and 1 from Amazon if I am lucky

Neoxon

Stores will be posting allocations on their front doors after close. So around 9, 9:15pm local time you'll see what hat store will have posted on the door.
I guess this isn't surprising when Nintendo said that they were only planning on shipping 2 million units for launch.

I'd pre-order online, but I don't have all of the cash that I need, yet.

This is any launch. WiiU was hard to get at GS at launch too.

The Wii U was so in demand that GameStop had to cancel their waitlist!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501624&page=1

With such a high number of pre-orders for the Wii U, there’s simply no way retailers like GameStop can keep up with the demand at this point. GameStop’s waiting list SKU was meant to help people make sure they could get the console as soon as it became available again, but the demand is too great even for that strategy. If you are on the Wii U waiting list and you have not already received a call from GameStop informing you of the change, you likely will soon, as the Wii U will soon only be available on a first come first serve basis.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'll swing by GameStop a couple hours before opening on Friday and hope for the best. I need to get one for myself and one for my wife, so I know I'm going to have to work a bit harder.

Yeah I remember pre ordering the Wii U thinking it would be SO hard to get..the day it came out I picked it up and walked home with it, the bag broke, walked into the local Kmart to get a bag and I had to give them a receipt showing the Wii U was from gamestop since Kmart had PLENTY of the Wii U in stock..I have 193 dollars at gamestop to use, but if I cant get it there, I will get it at Target or Best Buy

Stores will be posting allocations on their front doors after close. So around 9, 9:15pm local time you'll see what hat store will have posted on the door.

Which means...people are going to start camping out at that point :( Damnit...I was going to just wake up early at 5AM and wait in line while watching Treehouse live on my Phone.

Considering corporate forces marketing on the stores, and empty system boxes are required on the sales floor most times (to show they "carry" the product at all), destroying displays is far from an "awesome" story. Shit like this is why people loathe retail.

Again, I cannot stress enough, regardless of Gamestop's allocation, they personally will hold units instead of shipping them out. Web-In-Store is not a consumer-focused entity, it exists purely to benefit the company via extra forced profits. This is not a practice worth supporting.

I know I get you and agree. But as someone who has worked in retail and the service industry, sometimes the worst/most outrageous customers give you the best stories. "OMG Today some lady got mad and started destroying out Wii display! WTF!"

Not condoning any behavior, just trying to look on the bright side.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This makes sense to me. Lack of availability is basically true of every launch, and given how massively overproduced Wii U was, I wouldn't expect Nintendo to risk that situation again.

If launch month is a mess, I'm sure it'll be available by the summer for casual purchasers. I'll be ready for that Amazon pre-order or email notification.

KingBroly

Banned
This makes sense to me. Lack of availability is basically true of every launch, and given how massively overproduced Wii U was, I wouldn't expect Nintendo to risk that situation again.

If launch month is a mess, I'm sure it'll be available by the summer for casual purchasers. I'll be ready for that Amazon pre-order or email notification.

I don't think Wii U was overproduced. Just not enough people wanted it or knew about it.

bomblord1

Banned
So yea definitely taking the day off on Friday and going to Gamestop in the morning. Some of you guys talking about camping out for pre-orders have me scared that I'm going to miss my chance.

shtolky

I'm going to the Nintendo Store in NY on Friday morning to try and preorder, they usually have quite a few systems in stock for launches. Hoping this isn't another NES Classic debacle.

Am I hearing I need to physically get in line way before the store opens?? Jesus

Well, if you absolutely want it on Day One and insist on going through GameStop, maybe? It's really hard to tell at this point what's actually going to happen. Right now, I personally just think people are working themselves into a paranoid frenzy.

Trevelyan

Banned
I'd like to get 2, since my wife really wants one as well. I hope I don't have much problem since we live kinda out there in the country, and we're lucky to have one Gamestop kind of close. Hoping not to have too many problems securing one at Gamestop and hopefully another on Amazon.

Oregano

Well, if you absolutely want it on Day One and insist on going through GameStop, maybe? It's really hard to tell at this point what's actually going to happen. Right now, I personally just think people are working themselves into a paranoid frenzy.

CSc432aWoAAbWmA.jpg

All according to Keikaku.

I plan on buying two switches at launch to sell. I know I am one of those guys......Im sorry. I think Nintendo will bottleneck sales like always. I will get one from GS and 1 from Amazon if I am lucky

I'm similar. I'll probably get two... just in case one preorder goes wrong, then to sell. Hopefully to a friend to break even.

PMS341

I know I get you and agree. But as someone who has worked in retail and the service industry, sometimes the worst/most outrageous customers give you the best stories. "OMG Today some lady got mad and started destroying out Wii display! WTF!"

Not condoning any behavior, just trying to look on the bright side.

I worked as a Gamestop manager for ~8 years. The bright side is when those sort of customers come back to apologize for their behavior. As rare as it was, no story was as awesome as a person taking time from their day to attempt to correct their mistakes, even if it was more of an internal/personal thing. Everything else just leads to crippling anxiety and depression.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
8 page thread over a video written from a source that's literally "a guy I know." I get that we like to get outraged at the smallest things, but come on.

PMS341

If anyone really wants this and is unable to get it from GameStop, make sure you knock down a few magazine racks on the way out.

Not only does it send a clear message to the responsible party, but it'll make a great story for your kids and grandkids one day.

I don't know about non preorder Wii U's, because I preordered at GameStop Day 1 and never had any issue of securing my pre-order. I think the hype for the Switch is different. I think there is more interest there. So I want to have more control over the situation by preordering at a brick and mortar store.

I don't like the idea of preordering online. I never have preorderd hardware online before, as I am paranoid of a cancellation or of my internet being too slow. I think my best bet, as ridiculous as it sounds, is to take a day off work Friday so I can show up at my local GameStop before it opens to secure a Switch. Thank goodness for vacation days.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Surprised I didn't see a thread on this.

Story
http://gonintendo.com/stories/271487-gonintendo-today-s-big-story-1-8-17-exclusive-info-on-gamest

Full Video Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCvqoil3GH8

Better lock in your pre-orders while you can. I know I'm planning on going to gamestop on my lunch that day to do it.

gamestop stores are not going to have to many switch units to go around

Or many third party games..

I kid.. I kid..

With the Wii U launch I just walked in to walmart a day before launch and got it.. Will do the same.

I don't know about non preorder Wii U's, because I preordered at GameStop Day 1 and never had any issue of securing my pre-order. I think the hype for the Switch is different. I think there is more interest there. So I want to have more control over the situation by preordering at a brick and mortar store.

I genuinely think it's too early to tell that right now. We are missing incredibly important pieces of information like price and actual launch lineup right now. This really is just pure fan anxiety right now fueling this.

Cfer

Neo Member
Why do people wanna preorder through a gamestop? Is the purchase incentivised if you go specifically through them or are people just genuinely worried they won't get a Switch on day one?

NateDrake

I genuinely think it's too early to tell that right now. We are missing incredibly important pieces of information like price and actual launch lineup right now. This really is just pure fan anxiety right now fueling this.

My honest feeling is that the majority of people showing up on Friday morning will be able to pre-order a Switch without much hassle. There will base cases of folks covering their bases and pre-ordering in the store, and online, and Amazon.

Why do people wanna preorder through a gamestop? Is the purchase incentivised if you go specifically through them or are people just genuinely worried they won't get a Switch on day one?
Probably store credit or trade-in promotion incentives.

figures this would happen when I have like $400 in trade in credit
welp, I have the day off Friday so I guess I'll camp out in order to see what happens

smh Nintendo but most importantly, fuck you NoA, false shortages again

Assuming we're looking at another Sunday release in North America, I'm going to try Gamestop this Friday for a preorder because I don't want to wait an extra day for a Monday delivery when the time comes, lol. Otherwise I'd just be going Amazon, buying things in person in 2017 feels weird.

I know at least in the US I've gotten Amazon packages on Sundays before.

US here too and I order most everything from Amazon, but I've never had this experience. Maybe it's regional?

My honest feeling is that the majority of people showing up on Friday morning will be able to pre-order a Switch without much hassle. There will base cases of folks covering their bases and pre-ordering in the store, and online, and Amazon.

Sure. I honestly have no idea. I'm just saying I don't think there's a lot of solid info out there right now to honestly gauge whether this thing is going to be a hit or not. It could be the next Wii. Or they might announce Thursday night that it's going to cost five hundred and ninety nine US dollars and have almost no surprises in terms of launch games and tell us that Zelda isn't coming until summer. We really don't know anything right now.

Assuming we're looking at another Sunday release in North America, I'm going to try Gamestop this Friday for a preorder because I don't want to wait an extra day for a Monday delivery when the time comes, lol.

I know at least in the US I've gotten Amazon packages on Sundays before.

Can't help but wonder if this is foreshadowing another amiibo / NES Classic scenario of Nintendo hilariously undershipping their next product. In which case that wouldn't be too shocking.

If Nintendo underships this thing, Microsoft and Sony should both drop the prices of their base level consoles to $200 for the Switch's launch month

lol

Assuming we're looking at another Sunday release in North America, I'm going to try Gamestop this Friday for a preorder because I don't want to wait an extra day for a Monday delivery when the time comes, lol. Otherwise I'd just be going Amazon, buying things in person in 2017 feels weird.

Wouldn't it be Friday? New 3DS was Friday. The Wii U was a Sunday release because they released everything on Sundays back then.

Top Bottom