• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

Eh, like the NES Classic, news like this kills my excitement for the system. Make it past that launch hype and we all go on living without it just fine.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it would be pretty fucking cute
if i can just preorder one after friday.
and actually receive one

Scrawnton

it would be pretty fucking cute
if i can just preorder one after friday.
and actually receive one
Seriously. I'm off work on Friday and plan on going to Gamestop before they open but I'm even worried now that I won't even get one. Not a healthy feeling.

Eh, like the NES Classic, news like this kills my excitement for the system. Make it past that launch hype and we all go on living without it just fine.

That's pretty much the main reason I didn't pick up an NES Classic. I actually stumbled upon 3 at Target a few days ago but I'm over the bullshit.

If you're a very distant third out of three competitors you don't really have the footing to spit in the face of your customers. Yet every bumbled release they continue to.

GamerJM

Banned
This is bullshit.

Nintendo needs to just let me buy their damn platforms. If they keep doing this I might boycott. It's the only way to stop the cycle because they currently have no incentive to stop (the pros are that it generates news and makes people more interested in buying them, and there aren't really any negatives since they'll just produce enough for people who want them eventually).

I have class on Friday too agghhhh WHY

Jedi2016

I honestly wasn't even thinking of trying to get one locally. I'll just pre-order from a major online retailer, probably Amazon, as soon as it goes up. Which I expect will be a few minutes after the show on the 12th when they (presumably) announce price and release date. I figure if you can get a pre-order in quick enough on day one, you won't have to worry about driving all over town on the day.

Azerare

Hopefully during my lunch break on friday if preorders go up i can snag one. The fact that NES minis are still unavailable everywhere is telling of how NOA misjudges the market and demand for these things.

I guess I cannot blame them on the other hand. Wii U must haunt the back of their mind.

I honestly wasn't even thinking of trying to get one locally. I'll just pre-order from a major online retailer, probably Amazon, as soon as it goes up. Which I expect will be a few minutes after the show on the 12th when they (presumably) announce price and release date. I figure if you can get a pre-order in quick enough on day one, you won't have to worry about driving all over town on the day.

In a way, but again with the NES mini; preorder on amazon i had amazon launched on every device i had and still couldn't make it to checkout with the server problems. So after that I don't know lol

Skeletos311

This all just part of Nintendo's plan! They want you to think it's already in high demand. But in reality, nobody except hardcore gamers know what the fuck a Switch is and don't know when this announcement stream is and won't know that GS is taking pre-orders on Friday morning. Everyone who saw Switch on Fallon probably thought, another one of those Wii tablets? Whatever, I heard the last one sucked. I want that Mario Running game for my phone. What!? $10!/It's not on Android? WTF, Nintendo!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Im not gonna read thru an 9 page thread, but has this been confirmed or is the source still "a guy I know"

The nes mini isn't the best comparison. It was a one off item intended more as a limited edition thing. It was incredibly hard to judge demand and also to organise regular shipments. I do think they really misjudged demand but I can see why.

The switch is now Nintendos main product and they know they will be making millions more over the next few years. It should be much easier to ramp up production if need be and keep regular restocks happening. Barring a wii like demand for the product there won't be shortages like the nes mini has.

MyEpitomeCliché;227974037 said:
Preorders are definitely happening Friday at GS. Allocation is limited, and will vary store to store. Employees get first dibs. Good luck.

Employees aren't allowed to preorder consoles, at least it was like that at my store

MyEpitomeCliché;227974037 said:
Preorders are definitely happening Friday at GS. Allocation is limited, and will vary store to store. Employees get first dibs. Good luck.
I call BS on employees gets first dibs. I seriously doubt this is allowed.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The nes mini isn't the best comparison. It was a one off item intended more as a limited edition thing. It was incredibly hard to judge demand and also to organise regular shipments. I do think they really misjudged demand but I can see why.

The switch is now Nintendos main product and they know they will be making millions more over the next few years. It should be much easier to ramp up production if need be and keep regular restocks happening. Barring a wii like demand for the product there won't be shortages like the nes mini has.

Very true. Plus, all this panic is off rumored low stock at GameStop and Nintendo hasn't seemed to prioritize them. They've really seemed to partner more with Best Buy, and big box stores like Target and Walmart seem to get more stock than GS, Toys R Us as well.

Makes sense given their focus is more on their fans, families, kids, casuals etc. and GameStop is more the core/hardcore gamer store. Plus, I can't imagine any of the hardware makers truly like doing business with GameStop who make most of their money taking sales away from them since used hardware and games is their real business.

So maybe wait until we start hearing allocation numbers for the big box stores before panicking? If it ends up being limited and hard to find for a bit, then yeah that sucks for people who really excited who have to wait awhile. Especially any who are really only into Nintendo games. Everyone else? Just be patient and enjoy the arguably unprecedented number of great games coming out Q1 on whatever platform(s) you own. Zelda et al will be just as fun once whenever you get your Switch. I'll probably wait a bit myself as Mass Effect is out 3/21 and is my most anticipated game so far this generation, and I'm trying hard to only buy and play one game at a time from this year on.

This is going to be a Wii situation again isn't it?
I had my money ready day one on Wii and couldn't get one till 6 months later. On that occasion I happened across one at a Walmart. It wasn't on display either. I asked the person in electronics and they actually had one behind the counter. Let's hope it's not a repeat of the Wii situation.

Nothing kills my excitement more than reading this headline. between all the things I'm expected to deal with bc this is a Nintendo console getting it shouldn't be the bane of it all.

Nothing kills my excitement more than reading this headline. between all the things I'm expected to deal with bc this is a Nintendo console getting it shouldn't be the bane of it all.

No kidding, this should be Easy Street, not Black Friday at Wal-Mart. So excited, but I'm hoping that if I do miss the initial pre-orders that there will be more waves of them before March. Hell, I'd but a bundle just to secure the deal.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nintendo really needs to change their strategy and get their shit together of under-delivering units. I understand not wanting to make too many units at a loss, but they seriously have a bad habit of providing under the demand. That works well for collectibles, not game consoles.

Torokil

People never get tired of conspiracy theories. :)

There are hardly any hyped electronic devices that are not sold out in many occasions shortly after launch. Looking at you PS4Pro and PSVR, MacBooks, iPhones and Samsung mobiles.

A trend that dates back decades is a conspiracy theory

Ninferno

It always perplexes me that any kind of Nintendo shortage news thread will automatically turn into "Artificial Scarcity" bashing. Well, at least I've learned a new term, thanks GAF.

We live in a real world, with people being unpredictable. It is not easy to gauge consumer interests, manage the supply chains and production schedules. Would you bash Apple for iPhone launch shortage? What about Sony for PS4Pro and PSVR?

Sales forecast and planning are NOT easy, especially when you just come off failing big time with WiiU. Manufacturing is just NOT that simple, with a million factors that could affect how you behave. If you couldn't see this, go take the course MFG101. You can thank me later:)

TrojanAg

20-30 per store isn't ideal but I don't think it will be impossible like the NES Classic. Either way, I'm just wondering when Amazon will start doing preorders. Hopefully right after the announcement.

20-30 per store isn't ideal but I don't think it will be impossible like the NES Classic. Either way, I'm just wondering when Amazon will start doing preorders. Hopefully right after the announcement.

Does Amazon even sell Nintendo hardware? I thought they had some issues in the past.

Ogodei

Fortunately it's during the school day, and during the work day, and my new work's pretty flexible about working from home (especially as my boss will be gone). I can just take some of my stuff home and work here, then pile off to Gamestop when they open.

Kind of feel like i should get preferential treatment since i was day 1 for Wii, 3DS, and Wii U...

dezzy8

When is it going to be available for preorder?
Kinda glad that I live in a small city. I might be able to get it Day One if it's 20 per store.

Josh5890

It always perplexes me that any kind of Nintendo shortage news thread will automatically turn into "Artificial Scarcity" bashing. Well, at least I've learned a new term, thanks GAF.

We live in a real world, with people being unpredictable. It is not easy to gauge consumer interests, manage the supply chains and production schedules. Would you bash Apple for iPhone launch shortage? What about Sony for PS4Pro and PSVR?

Sales forecast and planning are NOT easy, especially when you just come off failing big time with WiiU. Manufacturing is just NOT that simple, with a million factors that could affect how you behave. If you couldn't see this, go take the course MFG101. You can thank me later:)

Something something NOA is evil something.

Does Amazon even sell Nintendo hardware? I thought they had some issues in the past.

Amazon had a period where they were selling New 3DS's directly. And this was after the supposed "falling out" with Nintendo. Plus, Amazon has gotten exclusive Amiibo, so I'd venture to say the business relationship there is just fine.

qko

So much confusion. I thought I heard somewhere that they were going to have 10 million ready by launch... now places are going to be strapped?!?! What the heck is going on?

Top Bottom