• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

Vidiot

I mean isn't it likely that as long as you go to preorder the day preorder open you'll be able to secure one? It's not like a usual console launch where the holidays are right around the corner creating much greater demand.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I mean isn't it likely that as long as you go to preorder the day preorder open you'll be able to secure one? It's not like a usual console launch where the holidays are right around the corner creating much greater demand.

Yep. With 20-30 per GameStop there shouldn't be many cases where people that show up the the morning they open shouldn't be able to get one. Of course they'll go up in Friday and some people have work and can't go so they may miss out.

Other stores like Best Buy should get more per store though. So this shouldn't be terribly hard to preorder for people who aren't wed to GameStop for having credit etc.

kromeo

I had no problem with Amazon when the PS4 was out. Hoping they can pull through for me with this too.

Amazon pre orders for the ps4 were up for weeks before they stopped guaranteeing release delivery as far as I remember, and I really can't see there being a Wii style frenzy for this thing

Would it be better to preorder in-store or online through GameStop and Bestbuy for in-store pickup?

Edit: I read the question wrong. Re-worked my response

If you're doing online, Best Buy is the way to go. Gamestop's online ordering is a bit of a pain. I just hate places that make you pay for shipping in 2017... When Gamestop does offer free shipping, it's standard post unlike the two-day setup with Amazon and Best Buy. I don't think Gamestop promises release-day delivery for online either.

I've never done an in-store pre-order at Best Buy, but Gamestop is always reliable there.

If they offer it, I always do online ordering with "in-store pickup" for Best Buy. It's just such a painless experience. To my knowledge, GameStop doesn't offer proper in-store pickup. When a product is out, they let you "reserve" it until the end of the business day but your purchase isn't locked in. I don't think they'll allow that for a launch day console.

I don't at all get why Nintendo would go for such short launch supply for Switch when launching with a flagship game that is highly anticipated. People have waited years for BotW, and you're going to launch it same day with your brand-new console that apparently is going to be hard to obtain? Why would you make it harder for people to play a huge game they are highly anticipating? It's not like they're going to be, "Whatever, couldn't get a Switch, so I'll just buy BotW for Wii U instead."

maxcriden

If they offer it, I always to in-store for Best Buy. It's just such a painless experience. To my knowledge, GameStop doesn't offer proper in-store pickup. When a product is out, they let you "reserve" it until the end of the business day but your purchase isn't locked in. I don't think they'll allow that for a launch day console.

What do you mean? The purchase isn't locked in if you pre-order the console in person at Gamestop?

Would it be better to preorder in-store or online through GameStop and Bestbuy for in-store pickup?

In-store is probably going to be the best option if you can get there in time. They require a deposit (usually $50) up front, which turns away a lot of folks who aren't 100% sure they want the system.

Online is simply more convenient for me though. My local GS is around 25 minutes away.

bomblord1

Banned
I don't at all get why Nintendo would go for such short launch supply for Switch when launching with a flagship game that is highly anticipated. People have waited years for BotW, and you're going to launch it same day with your brand-new console that apparently is going to be hard to obtain? Why would you make it harder for people to play a huge game they are highly anticipating? It's not like they're going to be, "Whatever, couldn't get a Switch, so I'll just buy BotW for Wii U instead."

Well I'm sure there will be a steady supply. The "2 Million" is only for the first few weeks and Nintendo has said they can adjust it if demand is higher.

What do you mean? The purchase isn't locked in if you pre-order the console at Gamestop?

Not at all! Going to Gamestop and pre-ordering in-store has always gotten me what I'm looking for. I was referring to their "In store pickup" option on the website. Best Buy's version of that lets you pay ahead of time and have a product on the side.

Gamestop will just take a product and put your name on it until the end of the business day. There's no transaction until you get to the store and it's entirely possible for something to sell out before they put it aside for you. Either way, they don't tend to offer in-store pickup for day one consoles if I recall correctly.

E-phonk

Banned
I'll probably be in the US for sxsw when the switch launches - how big would my chances be to find one there?
If they are region free I might try that as it would be cheaper dollar > euro wise.

Not at all! Going to Gamestop and pre-ordering in-store has always gotten me what I'm looking for. I was referring to their "In store pickup" option on the website. Best Buy's version of that lets you pay ahead of time and have a product on the side.

Gamestop will just take a product and put your name on it until the end of the business day. There's no transaction until you get to the store and it's entirely possible for something to sell out before they put it aside for you. Either way, they don't tend to offer in-store pickup for day one consoles if I recall correctly.

I'm pretty sure they don't allow in-store pickup for pre-orders, period. You either pre-order in-store or have it shipped to your home.

Well I'm sure there will be a steady supply. The "2 Million" is only for the first few weeks and Nintendo has said they can adjust it if demand is higher.

People also said the same thing about the NES Classic and it's still impossible to find months later. Either Nintendo has major issues in their manufacturing process or they're ready to make people wait longer than you think.

HylianTom

Banned
One big reason I want in-store: I want it at midnight.

I'm taking time off from work for this system, for Zelda. 10 hours or so is a nice little chunk of time. If I need to do system updates, patch installs, any sort of troubleshooting.. I can hopefully have that all done before the sun comes up.

maxcriden

Ohhh! Phew. Thank you. Just got confused with all of GS's jargon. ^^

Planning to go day one and reserve in store.

I'm pretty sure they don't allow in-store pickup for pre-orders, period. You either pre-order in-store or have it shipped to your home.

Most definitely! I failed to state that Gamestop's "in-store pickup" only applies to products that are released and in stock at that location. No pre-ordering option there at all. Re-worked my initial post because I confused the question.

bomblord1

Banned
People also said the same thing about the NES Classic and it's still impossible to find months later. Either Nintendo has major issues in their manufacturing process or they're ready to make people wait longer than you think.

I don't think Nintendo said anything about the exact shipping numbers of the Classic nor of the ability to adjust shipment numbers.

ngower

Heard the same when I tried to pre-order yesterday. I have a bunch of trade credit for Gamestop otherwise I'd just go wherever the most stock is. But god damnit I'm gonna have to wait in line on Friday and that's super annoying.

Most definitely! I failed to state that Gamestop's "in-store pickup" only applies to products that are released and in stock at that location. No pre-ordering option there at all. Re-worked my initial post because I confused the question.

This is just not correct. I pre-order games and even CEs for in-store pickup all the time on Gamestop.com. Having said that, not every item is eligible and I doubt an in-demand console like Switch if it is truly limited at launch will be available with this option.

This is just not correct. I pre-order games and even CEs for in-store pickup all the time on Gamestop.com. Having said that, not every item is eligible and I doubt an in-demand console like Switch if it is truly limited at launch will be available with this option.
Really did not know this was a thing?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think that's comparable. Switch is their new console they hope to sell tens of millions of.

NES Classic was just a novelty item they cobbled together to have another source of revenue for the holidays besides Pokemon. They underestimated demand and apparently couldn't reshuffle their manufacturing to ramp it up. Hell, maybe they couldn't as their manufacturing partners were focused on cranking out Switches.

I see worst case for this being like PS4. Pretty easy to get a preorder, and then maybe a bit tough to find for 2-3 months. More likely, more like X1 where it was easy to preorder and only tough to find for a month or so.

It's launching outside of the holiday season, mid generation, after PS4 Pro and before Scorpio etc. It's going to do well, but it's not going to be like the Wii that was super hard to find for 6 months, and not easy for more than a year.

Just get your online preorders in Thursday Night/Friday morning or go to GameStop or whatever local game retailer Friday morning and you'll get a preorder no sweat. If you can't do that, you'll probably still be fine. Amazon and Best Buy were taking online preorders for PS4 and X1 for a few weeks after their reveal announcements. And buzz for PS4 among the mainstream was far greater than for Nintendo which really only gets buzz from their base and hardcore types these days. Switch may change that, but not prior to launch. It's not like a likely boring and in Japanese press conference is going to hype the Average Joe western gamer.

Xdrive05

I'm hoping for a Toys R Us score. Don't they normally get healthy shipments when supplies are short? I remember thinking my Toys got more Wiis than neighboring game stores back in the day.

Trevelyan

Banned
20-30 isn't that bad
thought 5 max was the number but yeah you gotta go right at opening or you will miss out

Yeah, I was fearing it would be 5-10. Hearing 20-30 per store should make things very easy for me, as I live out in the country, and don't fear demand being too high for a Nintendo product around here.

1) Are you able to preorder 1 system at multiple GameStops?

2) Is the current brick and mortar thought that it will be available for preorder Friday morning.

This story broke at work so I cannot watch the video.

Jarnet87

Feel bad for people who need to lineup early for a preorder. I should have no issue going into one of my two local GS stores and preordering at lunch or after work. Think this will sell better than the Wii U but even if the buzz is bigger I shouldn't have a problem going into a big retailer and getting one launch morning.

LordofPwn

for comparison, how many PS4/XBO did gamestop have at launch? 20-30 is way better than what gamestops got for the NES Classic

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping for a Toys R Us score. Don't they normally get healthy shipments when supplies are short? I remember thinking my Toys got more Wiis than neighboring game stores back in the day.

Possibly.

Best Buy seems to get the most units of Nintendo stuff lately (N3DS etc.). Nintendo has been partnering with them a lot on instore demos, promos etc.

Xdrive05

Possibly.

Best Buy seems to get the most units of Nintendo stuff lately (N3DS etc.). Nintendo has been partnering with them a lot on instore demos, promos etc.

Oh that's good to know! I have one in driving distance. Sounds like that's the safer bet based on what you said.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Oh that's good to know! I have one in driving distance. Sounds like that's the safer bet based on what you said.

They're pretty good with online preorders too if you want to do it that way, and do free release date delivery like Amazon.

They do preorder online and pick up in store for games as well, but I've never tried for a console.

Xdrive05

They're pretty good with online preorders too if you want to do it that way, and do free release date delivery like Amazon.

They do preorder online and pick up in store for games as well, but I've never tried for a console.

I wonder if Best Buy's online preorders go up Thursday night or the next morning. I was planning to go in Friday morning to preorder, but if they blow through their limits online the night before, then that would be pointless...

Experien

Is this cause lack of stock or they are focusing on selling it are more mass appropriate location than "hardcore gamer" gamestop?

Yeah, I live in the Seattle area and I work until 10AM. I think that I can walk into Fry's or BB day one and pre-order. I don't think I will have to worry about missing the chance to line up at open.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about that. For starters, it's a perfectly plausible price so there's no reason to scrutinize it too heavily. But there are still several possibilities to consider. One is that it's a Basic SKU and a Deluxe will be higher. Barring that, there's also just the possibility that it's a placeholder price that will be updated before the actual product goes live to the public for preorder Thursday night/Friday morning.

Basically, what I'm saying is that whether you verify the source or not, you may not be getting the answer that you want by running with this info.

psyfi

Banned
$250 for the basic and $300 for the premium SKU sounds awfully likely to me. I put $400 aside for the Switch, so however much I have left will go to games.

Top Bottom