• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Card-Based RPGs?

I did put Loot and Legends up there, which seems to be same game as Card Hunters with a different name?

I'm confused about what the other differences are.

Loot and Legends was a mobile spinoff of Card Hunters, but they actually shut it down last year so Card Hunters is both the canonical version, and the only playable version.

Daouzin

Thanks for making this list. I'm always looking for this type of game.

I recently played Hands of Fate and loved it.

I also loved Guild of Dungeonering and recommend adding it to the OP.

HotHamBoy

Loot and Legends was a mobile spinoff of Card Hunters, but they actually shut it down last year so Card Hunters is both the canonical version, and the only playable version.

WHAT. I still have it installed on my iPad.

Looks like it is unplayable without a server connection. I never finished my campaign! Sigh. Gotta love modern gaming.

Deleted.

That makes 3 for me. Dominion Online shutdown on the 1st, Solforge (on which have spent a couple hundo) shuts down on Jan. 31. Fuck this shit.

Thanks for making this list. I'm always looking for this type of game.

I recently played Hands of Fate and loved it.

I also loved Guild of Dungeonering and recommend adding it to the OP.

Good call, I have that game on iPad, too. Not sure what to put it under, though.

I love these types of games because I get to collect cards and build decks without spending money but I also can't just get an unlimited amount, I have to work for them.

I love this kind of games, especially Metal Gear Ac!d 2. Unfortunately they seem very few. Is there anything on the 3ds for example? I know there's the old pokemon tcg and a yugioh one that apparently has no progression

HotHamBoy

Would Chain of Memories count?

Chain of Memories is a terrible game. It's why I stopped caring about Kingdom Hearts.

I do have it in the OP but I might agree that it isn't very good. I played a few hours on GBA and was bored.

I love this kind of games, especially Metal Gear Ac!d 2. Unfortunately they seem very few. Is there anything on the 3ds for example? I know there's the old pokemon tcg and a yugioh one that apparently has no progression

Specifically 3DS? Not to my knowledge. Best bet is either the MegaMan Battle Network games for DS or Culdcept DS - though unless you know Japanese you would need a flash cart with the english patched ROM on it.

Another game that might appeal to you is Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes. The original is on DS. It isn't a card game but it does have units you slowly acquire over the campaign and "decks" you build with them and these units are randomly "dealt" during gameplay. Pretty unqiue game.

It kind of plays like a mash up of a card game and a Match-3 game.

---

Speaking on Battle Network, I started playing BN3 (my first MMBN game) on the GBA yesterday. The combat system is pretty awesome! Story seems silly and childish but I can deal with that if I can skip all that crap.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Another game that might appeal to you is Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes. The original is on DS. It isn't a card game but it does have units you slowly acquire over the campaign and "decks" you build with them and these units are randomly "dealt" during gameplay. Pretty unqiue game.

It kind of plays like a mash up of a card game and a Match-3 game.

Also on mobile, at least on iOS.

Nudull

Banned
There was a Marvel Trading Card Game for the PSP/DS (based on the "Vs. System" TCG that incorporated Marvel, DC and one expansion with Hellboy). It had a single player mode with a full story (even got to choose between a hero and villain campain), though I'm not sure if it'd count on the OP's list.

HotHamBoy

RPS Saga by Magic Cube
https://appsto.re/us/70NTgb.i

screen406x722.jpeg

This is a new game that just released for 99 cents.

Don't know if it's any good but it's a buck!

Pathfinder Adventures is a fun free-to-play mobile game in the style of Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder that has a deck-based combat and exploration system. It's a lot of fun, though I'm not super deep into it yet, and the systems are fairly deep.

HotHamBoy

Pathfinder Adventures is a fun free-to-play mobile game in the style of Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder that has a deck-based combat and exploration system. It's a lot of fun, though I'm not super deep into it yet, and the systems are fairly deep.

I like it, it's a deep dive though.

Mozendo

The .hack//GU games have a card minigame but I'm not sure if it's any good. I loved the main games but I never played the card game section.

Crimson VS is insanely fun, by far the best part of the //G.U. trilogy for me.
Edit: Should note it's only becomes available in volume 2.

N4Us

Ooooh I'm subbing this thread.

Also wanna throw this in

GuRTcgq.png

Strategy game that utilizes a card-building system, where the cards control how your units attack. Not a great game but worth a look if you're really into CCG-styled mechanics.

Qasiel

I just finished Evoland (PC) and it has a Triple Triad clone in it. You can find cards hidden in treasure chests, or purchase some, and there's one guy you can play against so it's not massively part of the game.

Still, was enjoyable to play some Triple Triad again.

HotHamBoy

I just finished Evoland (PC) and it has a Triple Triad clone in it. You can find cards hidden in treasure chests, or purchase some, and there's one guy you can play against so it's not massively part of the game.

Still, was enjoyable to play some Triple Triad again.

Evoland is also on mobile, just fyi.

Card City Nights is triple-triad inspired if you like that style.

KKRT00

The very first Magic: The Gathering video game (wikipedia link) actually had a pretty cool randomly generated overworld with dungeons, towns with shops and wandering enemies that would reward cards when defeated. As far as I know, it's the only MTG game that ever featured this sort of open world RPG single player campaign. Sadly, it's not really available anywhere legally, but it does at least have a fan made mod that makes it easier run on modern systems.
This game was good, i also would want a true sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFNuGXgF-A

Tokubek

There is a Full Metal Alchemist TCG on the DS:

Full_Metal_Alchemist_Trading_Card_Game_DS.jpg

FullmetalInline_1194377713.jpg

I remember it being really fun but not much about its "rpg"-elements.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's Duel Masters games on PS2 and GBA. I'm not sure exactly how good they are as video games, but the core gameplay as a card game is top notch.

Just eyeballing I'd say Duel Masters: Shadow of the Code is probably the best one? Has eight sets, that's a great range of cards to choose from. The GBA games are visually inconsistent too, to say the least.

The Japanese releases seem better, but language barriers and all.

I miss Duel Masters, what a fantastic game. It deserved a Hearthstone style revival.

diablogod

Pokemon Trading Card Game and Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 *there's a fan translation
Man those 2 games are so good. Still remember playing the crap out of them as a kid. Also Magic: The Gathering (1997 video game) is another one I remember sinking my teeth into a couple decades ago.

ZeroX03

Banned
Pokemon Trading Card Game and Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 *there's a fan translation
Man those 2 games are so good. Still remember playing the crap out of them as a kid. Also Magic: The Gathering (1997 video game) is another one I remember sinking my teeth into a couple decades ago.

Holy shit, did not know.

Digimon World 3 had a pretty large and complex card minigame.

Beyond battling with your monsters, you could find dozens and dozens of NPCs that would only accept card battling. And after certain points, NPCs that previously would fight against you would then agree to duel with cards.

After each win, you'd get a booster pack related to the NPC you just won against, and you could buy other booster packs or separate cards in card shops around the entire world.

Here's a video showing how it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DKMHWJDf1c

Yep. I like Digimon World 3 card game. Shame its just an add-on to a terrible main game.

kX1FzCg.jpg

Eye of Judgement: Legends on PSP is up there. Doesn't need all the physical gear of the PS3 version, and is a great little card-based battler.

Nikodemos

Shandalar continues to be the most solid MtG computer game to this day. Given that it was first released twenty years ago, it is both a testament to Microprose's talent, and to the dismal failure of WotC to replicate its success.

Shandalar continues to be the most solid MtG computer game to this day. Given that it was first released twenty years ago, it is both a testament to Microprose's talent, and to the dismal failure of WotC to replicate its success.

The Sid Meier seal of quality right there.

ODY

Neo Member
Reviving an old thread :)

Our upcoming indy TCG/RPG might be of some interest of you. It will be a RPG/TCG mix. So you have an overland map and the combat is done via TCG in real time (not turn based) - pretty unique gameplay.

The game will be ready sometime 2018 and is soon to be entering alpha stage.

So for more info you can visit http://www.requiaonline.com/en and its news section. So its still pretty early...

The RPG is based on a german fantasy epos called Requia - so while the german part of the site has more content - the game will be ready in english and german at the same time.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Print_Dog

I know the GBA one was mentioned in the OP, but Monster Rancher Battle Card 2 on PS1 is one of my favorite games as a child. I just went and looked it up and I never realized it was a sequel back then. They battle mechanics are great. Don't remember the story too well, but I would pay good money for this type of series on PS4.

wetalo

I've been addicted to Solitairica the last few weeks.
solitairica-1.jpg

Great card based RPG on mobile, costs $4,has a $1 expansion set, no microtransactions.

Also, there's a Magi Nation game on GameBoy Color.

ODY

Neo Member
Here is a video of the upcoming TCG/RPG Requia Online for iOS, Android and Windows.

This shows the cards and how they will look like once they get upgraded :) - can't wait to get you guys playing.

Hope you like it.

Requia Online - Enchanting

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Etherlords 1 & 2 are oldie but goldie card games with adventure and exploration

For you Yu-Gi-Oh fans, which is the best SP Yugi game ever made?
For me Yugioh gx tag force 3 is the best yugioh card game ever, because it has an insame amount of content and replayability that it's not easy to say in words, thousands of cards, dozens of character stories, probably a hundred of different characters with multiple decks to fight, minigames, exploration etc and what i like the most, seeying my opponent and its reactions during the match.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'm surprised this didn't get bumped because Culdcept Revolt is out in a week.

Feels too late for there to be a huge player base or for it to sell much, but I'm hoping that it does alright. Was thinking of buying the CE, as I bet it will be worth something, but I'm pretty much digital only these days.

vixlar

Armello. I still haven't bought this game, so I can not personally say how good it is, but it has good reviews in Steam.

Some people call it "Game of thrones with animals".

Here is the link. ARMELLO

HotHamBoy

Culdcept: Revolt for 3DS is still coming out in the West, right?

Armello. I still haven't bought this game, so I can not personally say how good it is, but it has good reviews in Steam.

Some people call it "Game of thrones with animals".

Here is the link. ARMELLO

I have Armello, it's not an RPG at all. It's literally a digital board game and cards are just part of it.

There's no campaign or anything. You don't collect cards or make decks.

That said, it is a very good game.

lumzi23

RPGs with a robust CCG minigame

I think the Kotor games count with this. They have a pretty fun (if I remember) card game called Pazaak.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Pretty amazing we got Culdcept in the west and Phantom Dust re-released in the same year. If the gods were good, we'd somehow get PSO:EP3 re-released, but pretty much everyone wants that game buried and forgotten.

Anyways, probably not gonna spend too much time on this forum anymore. Would be awesome if someone at the new forum with thread making privileges could make a similar thread there. Just a thought.

Peace.

goljanek

Neo Member
Metal Gear Acid 2 is my jam. That game alone has me interested in this small genre.

Have you played the first one too? Mechanics were kind of the same and the game felt better overall.

OP: Check out Pokemon Play It! on PC. I remember having it from covermount in 2002 or something like that - huge replayability.

Top Bottom