• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Volcano High Review Thread |OT| Snootjob

What scores do you think Goodbye Volcano High will get?

• 30-35%

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 35-40$

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 75 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peish

Wait, wtf? Are all the characters trans in this game? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also I like how the developers of this game literally see themselves as lizards/demons. Well done!

its gettting to a meme now....

I am confused, the girly dressed transeratops, is coming out as a trans female or trans male? like the in game world cant tell a boy dressed like a girl?

where is the female to male trans represented?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Despite everyone talking about the asteroid, the pace is still absolutely glacial. Trish can fuck off.

Looks like the game hit an iceberg. According to Steam Chart there's 101 people playing the game right now which puts the game between 1800 and 1850 on the "currently playing" charts. I think the game won't get enough actual reviews to get a Metacritic or OpenCritic rating. The game is getting so few critical traction that there's not going to be anything we can make fun of. We all wanted the game to crash but unfortunately for us it didn't even get off the ground and no one was around to see it.

kondorBonk

I threw on a lets play on in the background while working to hear some funny dialog. I was sadly disappointed. Its pretty much a typical teenage drama story.

The asteroid seems to exist to expedite a highschool year and just be the metaphor for growing up/going to college. No existential dread as far as I got.

The dinosaur aspect isn't fun. I think that exists solely for the asteroid. They didn't have fun with puns or alt reality explanations. Basically just Beverly Hills but they are dinosaurs.

The stories were also pretty typical. Just losing friends. No alcohol/drugs/fights or wacky misadventures. very grounded and safe. Even the alt lifestyle topics are waved over and have nothing to do with whats going on.

Overall it's just not interesting. They didn't dig into any of the more fun themes or take any risks. Just a very forgettable G rated/safe teenage angst story.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm still early in the game but I'm going to be surprised if a dinosaur racism plot doesn't pop up at some point. In the first chapter Fang reads a note from her parents who have middle-eastern accents, and it's pointed out that their birth name was Fatima.

It's too obvious for them not to have some jock dino blame Fang for the asteroid at some point.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Well, let's be honest, this game never looked to be anything beyond teenage drama VN made by frustrated adults. Who could have guessed...

When you look like something, it's probably because you are that...

Cyberpunkd

Maybe the dinosaurs died out because they all transitioned.
What if…meteorite was a hate crime?

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Last edited:

Sojiro

I have no idea what to expect with this one to be honest, just went with 70-75. It's a complete shot in the dark guess though.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I threw on a lets play on in the background while working to hear some funny dialog. I was sadly disappointed. Its pretty much a typical teenage drama story.

The asteroid seems to exist to expedite a highschool year and just be the metaphor for growing up/going to college. No existential dread as far as I got.

The dinosaur aspect isn't fun. I think that exists solely for the asteroid. They didn't have fun with puns or alt reality explanations. Basically just Beverly Hills but they are dinosaurs.

The stories were also pretty typical. Just losing friends. No alcohol/drugs/fights or wacky misadventures. very grounded and safe. Even the alt lifestyle topics are waved over and have nothing to do with whats going on.

Overall it's just not interesting. They didn't dig into any of the more fun themes or take any risks. Just a very forgettable G rated/safe teenage angst story.
cool small overview

but can i fuck dinosaurs?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Not watching but I assume it's 10/10 would hire paedo writer again?

Numbers are Violence, the dude just makes two paragraphs of text into three minutes of video and goes over a riveting segment where they/them have to decide who to sit beside at a school assembly by scanning them a la Metroid Prime, but instead of getting a readout on strengths or composition, your scan visor just goes over the subject's most recent tweets. I guess the dinos that believe the gender they were assigned at hatching aren't getting any snoot.

The Skull

Th
Numbers are Violence, the dude just makes two paragraphs of text into three minutes of video and goes over a riveting segment where they/them have to decide who to sit beside at a school assembly by scanning them a la Metroid Prime, but instead of getting a readout on strengths or composition, your scan visor just goes over the subject's most recent tweets. I guess the dinos that believe the gender they were assigned at hatching aren't getting any snoot.
Thank you for saving me watching such bollocks. King of kings.

RavageX

So what happens? Everyone just sits around stroking their tails, and if they don't have tails they sit around wishing they did?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
People with low standards.
I guess it appeals to people who enjoy self-insert characters and being preached to about a message they agree with.

My biggest fear for this game was that it might actually be a fun game with decent writing, just with an aesthetic and art style I find repugnant. But nah, it looks like a shitty game and the only reason someone would like it is because they agree with The Message (or they’re a furry/otherkin)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I like that, like, every word of dialogue is like, real, like, y'know? It sounds like real kids talking, like the way they talk. And like, people gotta deal with, like, that.
When I was a kid there was a furry flash game in newgrounds. It had this zebra with huge tits and this cat twink with a dick.

That game was more nuanced and did more for furrydom than GVH

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Of course it’s safe and there’s no fights. This game is a safe space. The characters (and, you can guess, the writers) probably hyperventilate at the mere thought of seeing their family. Imagine they had to face actual conflict.
Which makes it all the more hilarious how little they seem to care about actual global extinction.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Interesting... one of the devs said all game animations are locked at 34 FPS. They explained why they choose this in a interview. If anyone interested, just google Goodbuy Volcano High Rule 34.
Non binary frames per sec?

Top Bottom