• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

Better offline maps is a game changer for people with limited data. Seriously amazing. Specially with turn to turn directions.

I was not expecting this. So good.

riotous

Banned
Size: Save high-quality photos and videos while reducing size.

And there is the "essentially look the same" wording here:

If the camera takes photos with 16 megapixels (MP) resolution or lower, most stored photos will essentially look the same using either storage option.
If the camera takes photos with a resolution higher than 16 MP, then photos will be downsized to 16 MP.

riotous

Banned
But does it alter the quality of the photo if you download it again? Or it just compresses for storage purposes ? (like a zip file)

Image compression is one-way; (it can't be uncompressed.) Different technology; short answer: yes it alters the file whether you download it later or not.

kiguel182

It's funny how the whole offline focus is just focused on under developed countries for them. I think less use of data is good for everyone honestly.

Or maybe networks here are just stingy with mobile data and it sucks.

Still, more offline support is great for everyone.

App Store

haha

BwNL0oP.png

riotous

Banned
I think he is asking if it's lossy compression.

No; his question was really clear considering he brought up zip files and whether the file is merely compressed for storage.

It is lossy compression by Google's own wording; they seem confident that 16MP or under photos won't have noticable differences.

ty_hot

anything about the next Android yet?

maps offline is awesome. unlimited photos came just after I moved all my photos from G+ to Flickr. =/

maps offline is awesome. unlimited photos came just after I moved all my photos from G+ to Flickr. =/
they briefly talked about it as if it didn't really matter at the beginning of the keynote. Permissions. Fingerprints. Better standby time. Android Pay.

Ke0

Android M was the first thing they talked about. It's basically a 0.1 type update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom