• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
COfgxzb.jpg

May 28 to 29 · Moscone Center, San Francisco

Android App · Official Site · YouTube

AOffS00.png

zNzHhD9.png

• Google Photos
    a new, standalone product that gives you a single, private place for all your photos and videos. With Google Photos, you can now backup and store unlimited, high-quality photos and videos, for free and take any set of photos and videos, or any album, and simply create a link to share hundreds of photos at once. It's available now on Android, iOS, the web and on desktop.
    hqww8aH.png

• Android Pay
    the simple and secure way to pay with your Android phone. Buy with Android Pay in apps. Tap to pay in stores.
    7jz26aa.png

• Android M Developer Preview & Tools
    a developer preview of the next version of Android improving the fundamentals (privacy Permissions, App links, Battery), advancing assistance and payments (Now on Tap, Android Pay & Fingerprint) and android developer tools (Android Studio v1.3 Preview, Android Design Support Library, Google Play Services). An updated SDK with tools, system images for testing on the official Android emulator, and system images for testing on Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player devices is available now.
    HpBqO4S.gif

• Now on Tap
    Google Now is a little smarter in the upcoming Android M release, so you can ask it to assist you with whatever you’re doing—right in the moment, anywhere on your phone. And best of all, developers don’t need to do anything to integrate with Now on tap as long as they have their apps indexed by Google.
    Jcq1m9H.png

• Many more...
    Milkshake, Google Jump, new VR Cardboard, HBO Now on Android&Chromecast, Offline Maps with Turn-by-turn directions, Full Auto backup for Apps, Dark theme mode for M, USB Type C and MIDI, SD card and USB stick storage support, Smart Lock Password Manager, Levi and Google's Project Jacquard smart clothes etc
    oWDmH5l.jpg

• Android M
    • Better privacy with selectable app permissions
    • A Fingerprint API ecosystem
    • Android Pay
    • Google Hangouts gets smarter
    • Google Calendar makes your agenda for you
    • Android as a car infotainment OS
    • Android as a virtual reality OS
    • A theme engine?
    • Multi-windows and split screen support
    • More Voice commands
    • Google Now API
    • Try an app without the hassle of downloading and installing
    • Better notification controls
    • An Android for Work update
    • Android gets kid friendly
  • Chromecast 2
  • The Google Play Store comes to China
  • Google Glass reboot
  • The $1,400 Google/Intel/Tag Heuer smartwatch
  • Android Wear for iPhones?
  • A replacement for passwords
  • Polymer brings Material Design to the Web
  • Google (not Google+) Photos
  • YouTube's Twitch.tv killer
  • "Brillo," an Android-based Internet of Things OS
  • Project Ara and ATAP
  • Google's SkyBox shows us a realtime view of earth

zWuft.png

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
System-wide and manufacturer-agnostic multi-tasking is easily my most wished-for feature... odds we see it/10?

I wonder exactly what a Chromecast 2 would do over the first one.

Built in apps like the Amazon Fire Stick?
Game support (I think I read about that one somewhere)?
Full screen mirroring like the Apple TV (would be great to stream apps that don't have Chromecast support yet)?

I already have an original Chromecast at my apartment (old roommate left it here) and it works great for letting friends show off youtube clips, listening to music, and Netflix. The new one will need a lot more features and keep the low pricetag for me to look into upgrading.

KarmaCow

Chromecast 2 could be interesting but I hope it's more than relay point.

Chances on Android M being pushed out to the Nexus 4? :(

A Google Now API would be awfully interesting. I kinda think Google Now is Google's best 'feed' product these days (given that Google+ as a social product kinda crashed and burned, though the unified login stuff is great), and it's probably an important way for Google to be able to get into brand advertising and keeping user eyeballs glued to their app and so on.

Quixzlizx

Chromecast 2 could be interesting but I hope it's more than relay point.

Chances on Android M being pushed out to the Nexus 4? :(

Well, I think Google recently announced that Nexus phones will have 2-year OS support and 3-year security fix support from now on, so probably not.

Somnid

Other rumors:

- Focus of Android M to be RAM and Battery (because apparently it didn't stick last time)
- Nexus Device support guarantee (I'm guessing this comes with sunsetting old Nexus device support)
- No new tablet
- 2 New phones (LG 5.2" and Huawei 5.7" with an SD 808 and 810 respectively)

Other rumors:

- Focus of Android M to be RAM and Battery (because apparently it didn't stick last time)
- Nexus Device support guarantee (I'm guessing this comes with sunsetting old Nexus device support)
- No new tablet

If they come out with the LG 5.2", or announce it there with an 808 (especially at a good price), it will definitely be my main phone. Make it 1080p at 5.2", 32GB minimum and starting at $400. Make the 5.7" start at $500, while the 6 gets knocked down to $600. Make it easy.

Saiyan-Rox

Other rumors:

- No new tablet

Don't think those will be at I/O Google hasn't announced a phone at I/O since the Nexus 4.

Somnid

Don't think those will be at I/O Google hasn't announced a phone at I/O since the Nexus 4.

Perhaps, but you never know. Certainly there are phones like this in the wild so who knows how far along they would be. It would certainly help to have devices that show off a standardized biometric authentication API.

I hope the Chromecast 2 includes Ethernet and A/V outlets even if it bulks up. The current one is not appropriate for home theaters especially for sound.

Symphonia

Banned
I hope the Chromecast 2 includes Ethernet and A/V outlets even if it bulks up. The current one is not appropriate for home theaters especially for sound.
I'm down for Chromecast 2 supporting an ethernet connection. I have one plugged in to my TV in my bedroom and the connection via wireless is terrible.

Hasney

I'll I'm needing is the memory leak gone and I'll be happy with M.

As for I/O itself....Gimmie a Moto 360 2.

Lollipop came out November and a lot of phones don't even have it 6 months later...

...which means early 2016 before most people see it? Unless you're on a Nexus or Motorola.

Well if you buy a new phone which has Android Melonpan installed then it will have it right away. I would imagine all late 2015 phones will have it out of the box.

Lollipop came out November and a lot of phones don't even have it 6 months later...

...which means early 2016 before most people see it? Unless you're on a Nexus or Motorola.

6.0.x will be a unstable beta if past experience is anything to go by anyway.

5.1 is the first good Lollipop release and still has some glaring under the hood issues.

Let's hope the new Android OS is not a flakey, utterly unoptimised and shockingly unstable piece of shit like Lollipop is. Nexus 5 will be my first and last Android phone if they don't sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom