• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip has passed

hoserx

Gord passed last night after a battle with cancer. John Dunsworth and now this, I am so sorry, Canada.

DMa6vNkWkAAtkaA.jpg:large

Blader

Jesus Christ, I was literally just talking about him 12 hours ago and how incredible it was he was still around.

What a shame. R.I.P.

I'm a shitty Canadian because I never cared for their music but as a person, Gord Downie seemed like an awesome individual. RIP

Silexx

RIP Gord.

He was an amazing man, using his last days to not only make music, but also to raise awareness of Indigenous issues across the country.

The Hip were an amazing band and Gord seemed like such an awesome and unique guy. The fact that he made it long enough to put out a last Hip album and tour with terminal brain cancer is incredible, not to mention all of the solo stuff he's done since the announcement.

I'm a shitty Canadian because I never cared for their music but as a person, Gord Downie seemed like an awesome individual. RIP

Same. It's awkward, and hated Downey's singing style which took me out of their music. But for him to come back after that terminal diagnosis and continue tours and keeping himself busy was something many don't do.

I will remember him for that.

Even if we knew it was coming, still sad news. The Hip are responsible for two of the very few times in my life I've ever felt truly patriotic: once when I saw them at Woodstock '99 and it was a sea of Canadian flags, and then last summer, when they had their last concert broadcast and it seemed like the whole country was watching.

https://youtu.be/QE2joQsWXJg

This is probably my favourite Hip, this and Wheat Kings

WhatÂ’s everyoneÂ’s favourite Hip song?

For me, it's a toss-up between Wheat Kings and Bobcaygeon.

One of the purest artistic souls to ever live, beloved by a nation, someone who never stopped being Canadian even with fame.

Honoured I got to see one of the Farewell shows in Vancouver.

He will be missed dearly.

Western New York grieves too. My wife played hooky and waited outside an Ontario venue all day on the rumor that extra tickets were being released. She was able to catch one of the final tour shows. I'm so happy I was able to see the Hip at a few Buffalo shows.

PudieRSC

Damn :(

I moved to Canada about 8 years ago and the farewell concert made me a fan. This country loves Gord and it's a huge loss.

RIP.

Top Bottom