• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gord Downie - Terminal brain cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I just read this and immediately threw on In Between Evolution. Fucking hell...

I wish him only the best in spite of it all.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck that is really tough to hear, The Hip are a staple of Canadian music.

I'm going to try and see them this summer.

Oh my god, this is awful. I've been a huge fan of them for so long, since around Fully Completely. I've seen the Tragically Hip five times and Gord Downie solo twice, the last one when he was with The Sadies two years ago.

I'll try my best to see them for this last tour. :(

Sad! The Hip are from my hometown and went to and formed at my old high-school(which is sadly closing after ~220 years of educating young Canadians). Not a big fan or anything, but their music would be played a lot in between classes, or frequently on the local radio.

Jinaar

Sad day to be a Canadian. Who hasn't heard a song from The Hip that grew on them so fast that you couldn't let it go.

Heard this on the news coming into work. All the best to Gord, the family and the band.

This sucks. He's such an amazing storyteller, and he told the story of Canada in a way that no one else ever could. It's been quite a while since I listened to them, but I'm still really sad to hear this. I may try to catch their tour when it hits Ottawa, though I can't imagine not crying the whole way through it.

gabbo

This basically ruined my day when I opened up CBC and it was the main headline. Now I know how people who grew up with Prince, Bowie, etc felt this year., because Downie and the Hip are that for me. I will go to great lengths to see one of their shows on this final tour

WHAT!? Holy fuck, this is shocking.

As soon as I read the title, I got goosebumps.

I've been a fan of The Hip for years, and have always liked Gord. In fact, my friend's dad worked on his roof once, as I was told.

This is really sad. He's a major part of the music industry here, someone unique/likeable/of quality, and the lead of a great band.

I feel for him, his wife and his kids. My Mom had brain cancer, but was thankfully able to beat it, although it was lung cancer that contributed to her death.

Fuck cancer

calder

A bit bummed out by this news. The Hip were, unsurprisingly, a huge part of growing up when I was young. Luckily I loved their music, because it was totally inescapable.

Going to add a few classic songs to a playlist.

My favourite Hip song was definitely Nautical Disaster from the amazingly good "Day for Night" album.

Parch

That's sad. Saw the Hip twice in the 90's. Downie brought a lot of passion to his singing. Canadian icon.

ozhenson

The Hip were my first ever concert, went with my Dad who was a huge fan. The week my father passed I listened to nothing but them, and this is bringing back some awful memories.

Their music, and impact on my life will never be forgotten.

Thanks Gord!

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The tour dates were announced, nothing east of Ontario unfortunately. But if they're coming to a city near you, fucking go!

Ugh, 11 shows, right? I'm going to try for one of the shows in Toronto, or maybe London.
When do they go on sale? The Hip website is still down for me.

According to CBC, on sale June 3rd.

Edit: beaten.

Really tempted to try and get tickets. Haven't been to any shows in years, but Gord Downie seem worth making an exception for.

Sad! The Hip are from my hometown and went to and formed at my old high-school(which is sadly closing after ~220 years of educating young Canadians). Not a big fan or anything, but their music would be played a lot in between classes, or frequently on the local radio.
Cool, a fellow Kingstonian.

Going to try to get tickets for the Kingston show. I've never been to a Hip show, but I looked them up on YouTube and holy shit, what a show.

The Tragically Hip - Full Concert - 10/24/00 - Fillmore Auditorium
https://youtu.be/CG7NhdmJfao

Would like to go to one of the two Toronto shows, but getting tickets will likely be a nightmare. I'll at least take solace in having seen them live two or three times previously.

yyzjohn

Banned
Don't usually get moved by celebrity news but fuck this one really got to me. Loved the Hip albums so much growing up. Day For Night is one of my favorite of all time. I don't even think I could handle being at the concert I'd a mess. Fuck cancer.

We can’t help but rail against the injustice of it all – that a man so gifted, so kind, so intelligent, humorous and generous of spirit would be faced with such a mountain to climb. It isn’t fair. Life rarely is.

We feel we know you, Gord, and some among us do, through personal interactions that left indelible impressions. Even those who don’t, have been touched by the generosity you’ve displayed in your artistry and through your intense, playful, compelling and sometimes shamanistic performances on Buffalo stages over the past quarter century.
Thanks for sharing this.

For anyone trying to get tickets, quote this post for a tip.

I've been listening to the Hip pretty much non-stop since I heard the news. Here's a few amazing Gordie "rants."

New Orleans is Sinking (Killerwhaletank)
https://youtu.be/gjSyZslQp0w

Highway Girl (Double suicide)
https://youtu.be/cV4GAlI4C_Q

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Pre-sale went live an hour and 5 minutes ago. Tried to get 4 tickets for the Kingston show, but I could only get 3. Holy shit, yes! This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

They added four more dates to the tour. Presale for those start tomorrow at 10 am local time.

• July 26 – Vancouver, BC - Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena
  • July 30 – Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
  • August 3 – Calgary, AB - Scotiabank Saddledome
  • August 14 – Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre

I hope they add some more Kingston dates. The stubhub prices are insane. Right now they're ranging from $799-$2,389 USD for seats that were max $126 CAD from Ticketmaster. Scalpers are scum.

MikeRahl

Got 2 sets (of 2) of tickets for the Winnipeg show. Had row 7 floor but ticketmaster bugged out on me. Got one set in the nose bleeds and kept trying and ended with a pair right by the stage.

Talked to a guy at the MTS Centre and it sounds like they were overwhelmed with the response to the presale. Said typically there with be around 500 tickets reserved for fan presale, but for this one they allocated more than 3000 (which were gone in 5 minutes). They also ended up opening up the sections that are obstructed side view.

Three of my friends and their SOs were able to get tickets for different shows. I didn't realize there was a pre-sale today, nor do I have a CC, so I didn't get any.

My one friend is a huge fan, so he's trying to get tickets to two or three more shows and said he'd try to get me one.

I'm listening to their Woodstock 99 set right now. Never heard it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom