• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gord Downie - Terminal brain cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 2 sets (of 2) of tickets for the Winnipeg show. Had row 7 floor but ticketmaster bugged out on me. Got one set in the nose bleeds and kept trying and ended with a pair right by the stage.

Talked to a guy at the MTS Centre and it sounds like they were overwhelmed with the response to the presale. Said typically there with be around 500 tickets reserved for fan presale, but for this one they allocated more than 3000 (which were gone in 5 minutes). They also ended up opening up the sections that are obstructed side view.
From what I've been hearing, you were incredibly lucky to get anything. Awesome that you'll be able to see them.
Three of my friends and their SOs were able to get tickets for different shows. I didn't realize there was a pre-sale today, nor do I have a CC, so I didn't get any.

My one friend is a huge fan, so he's trying to get tickets to two or three more shows and said he'd try to get me one.

I'm listening to their Woodstock 99 set right now. Never heard it before.

Awesome. Hopefully they'll be able to hook you up.

That's a really good show. There's so much live Hip on youtube, it's great. They're such an amazing live band.

I'm tempted to try to buy tickets somehow else, but I don't have a CC or one I can borrow, at least not until Sunday. None of my other friends seem too interested.

So here's hoping.

I'm tempted to try to buy tickets somehow else, but I don't have a CC or one I can borrow, at least not until Sunday. None of my other friends seem too interested.

So here's hoping.

The tickets will sell out almost instantly when they go on sale to the public on Friday. Doesn't your debit card also work as a credit card? I thought that was pretty much the standard these days.

The tickets will sell out almost instantly when they go on sale to the public on Friday. Doesn't your debit card also work as a credit card? I thought that was pretty much the standard these days.

I don't think so, no.

If I don't go, I don't. I've seen them 2-3 times before. It'll be sad to be there knowing he's sick and that my Mom suffered from the same thing before she died, anyways.

I don't think so, no.

If I don't go, I don't. I've seen them 2-3 times before. It'll be sad to be there knowing he's sick and that my Mom suffered from the same thing before she died, anyways.

Sorry about your mom. Fuck cancer.

Check your debit card. If it has a Visa logo right on it, you can use it most places you'd use a credit card. It's not exactly the same, you need to have the funds available in your account, but aside from that it works just like a CC. If you don't have one, you should be able to get one from your bank.

Sorry about your mom. Fuck cancer.

Check your debit card. If it has a Visa logo right on it, you can use it most places you'd use a credit card. It's not exactly the same, you need to have the funds available in your account, but aside from that it works just like a CC. If you don't have one, you should be able to get one from your bank.

Thanks. I'm surprised you didn't see my thread.

Parch

The stubhub prices are insane. Right now they're ranging from $799-$2,389 USD for seats that were max $126 CAD from Ticketmaster. Scalpers are scum.
TV News mentioned that plenty of people are pissed because scalpers are scooping up all the available tickets.

I got lucky and got one in the nosebleeds which is where I wanted to be anyway price wise for the first Vancouver show.

Got em during the fan pre-sale. That was nuts. There was nothing but then 1.5 hours later bam a ticket was available.

MikeRahl

I got lucky and got one in the nosebleeds which is where I wanted to be anyway price wise for the first Vancouver show.

Got em during the fan pre-sale. That was nuts. There was nothing but then 1.5 hours later bam a ticket was available.

Probably someone got 2 sets, nosebleeds they got first and bought them just in case and kept trying and ended up with better seats and cancelled the first.

I know Winnipeg sneakily is moving the seating to the 270 degree set up, which happened after lunch and they released a bunch of those in the pre-sale past noon.

Myself, my Mom and my sister are all trying to get tickets for Kingston and so far nothing. I miraculously got 3 during the Kingston presale. I think I used up my good luck for the year.

I decided to try for some Ottawa tickets, and even had the Capital Tickets window open on two separate computers on two different networks. Never even got past the Virtual Waiting Room screen.

gabbo

Well that wasn't worth it. Glad I saw them during the World Container tour.
Hopefully they're able to put on a few more shows after the tour - surreal the idea of them not playing Canada Day somewhere next year

What a shit show. Couldn't even get two tickets at 10:00:01 (or maybe a few seconds later after helping to "battle the bots") in a huge hockey arena. Meanwhile, the cheapest StubHub tickets are $500+.

Keep trying for tickets you guys. Tickets get bounced back out if people take too long putting in payment info, or their credit cards are declined. You should always keep trying for at least an hour after the tickets show as being sold out.

krae_man

Oh man, Bud Gardens got bombarded.

Edit: Stub Hub is donating a portion of their gouging to cancer charities:lol

LCfiner

I got two tickets for Ottawa using the webapp. woohoo!

I had both my computer open on the capital tickets site and the phone on at the same time.

the computer never got past the virtual waiting room (same deal with my GF trying on a separate computer) but I snuck in on the phone after 3 attempts. 4th try, two tickets got put in my cart at 10:05 and i was able to checkout by 10:08 AM. 80 dollar seats just barely below nosebleeds

the mobile app didn’t have a virtual waiting room and it looks like that saved me.

sweet!

I got two tickets for Ottawa using the webapp. woohoo!

I had both my computer open on the capital tickets site and the phone on at the same time.

the computer never got past the virtual waiting room (same deal with my GF trying on a separate computer) but I snuck in on the phone after 3 attempts. 4th try, two tickets got put in my cart at 10:05 and i was able to checkout by 10:08 AM. 80 dollar seats just barely below nosebleeds

the mobile app didn’t have a virtual waiting room and it looks like that saved me.

sweet!
Congrats! Should be an amazing experience. Have you ever seen them live before?

I just got an email from The Tragically Hip.

New Tickets Released for Man Machine Poem Tour
Due to an overwhelming demand for the Man Machine Poem tour, we have adjusted the show design to accommodate more seating. Tickets for the newly released seats will go on sale on Tuesday, June 14 @ 10am local time. There is a 2 ticket limit per person.

For anyone who was unable to get tickets before, you have another chance.

Gord gave his first interview since his diagnosis. It aired on CBC's The National last night.

Gord Downie opens up about battling cancer, says it's 'creating something'
Tragically Hip frontman shares thoughts about illness and his recent cross-Canada tour
Gord Downie knows he's fighting for his life.

With a voice immediately recognizable to millions of Canadians, the Tragically Hip frontman has been battling an aggressive and terminal form of brain cancer since last December.

He's undergone two brain surgeries, rounds of radiation and chemotherapy, and numerous MRIs.

But that cancer — a glioblastoma — has also inspired Downie, 52, to fight to make his mark on Canada.

Though Downie admits his memory isn't what it once was — he's taken to writing names and other details down on his hand — he's embarked on a new challenge with Secret Path, a solo album, graphic novel and animated film inspired by a 12-year-old Ojibwa boy named Chanie (Charlie) Wenjack, who died from hunger and exposure after running away from a residential school.

The album and graphic novel will both be released next Tuesday, and the animated film will be broadcast on CBC on Oct. 23.

He's also founded the Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund — a project that he hopes will raise $100 million to bridge the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians.

It's a legacy project of sorts — and something that Downie says likely wouldn't be possible without his diagnosis.

In his first interview since his diagnosis, Downie sat down with CBC's chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge to discuss his cancer, his recent cross-country tour and why he's focusing on Indigenous issues.

YouTube mirror for the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51CPPminbM

castlegar

Great interview. Gord seems like a genuinely wonderful person, and it's very said to see him struggle through that at points and here him reflect on the darker aspects of his situation. Glad to see him so generally positive, though.

And credit to Peter Mansbridge. He's so good at what he does. I'm so glad he got that interview, you could really see the shared appreciation they have for one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom