• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPD is working on a Windows 10 handheld

Wait what. Is this new?

Intel stick computer has been arond for awhile. It uses atom.

This is the newest version, which is supposed to hold up pretty well, according to a few articles I read earlier in the week. They also have the stronger versions with M3 and M5 I believe.

Huh..
Looks kind of exactly like this monstrosity with minimally rounder edges (design)
Having a x86(?) platform is nice for gaming and computing in general I guess
Edit: Here's a pic

200.gif

How dare you! The Pandora was a handheld legend when it came out....eventually...

This is seriously good news from GPD right now. I've passed over the Shield Portable and GPD handheld because I was waiting for someone to make a windows version of that same idea and if GPD can do that, they'll have my money for sure!

Odrion

Banned
Atom x5 is pretty capable at lower res. At 540p, it would be terrific. Able to run Mass Effect 3 or Tomb Raider 2013 at Xbox 360 quality.

I remember that Windows 8 had a resolution requirement of at least 1024 x 768, I wonder if Windows 10 has the same.

bloke

I'de like to see a core M

I mean they can fit one in this thing.

Why not a larger handheld?

In one hand those new sticks are amazing, they have latest Skylake m3/m5 chipsets with Intel 515 GPU (300~380 GLOPS), which makes them more powerful than XB360 (250 GFLOPS), guess you could play easily most of the games with it at 720p and low/medium details.
But in other hand, at price of $350-400 for weaker m3 version for gaming they're kinda pointless, I mean for that money you get way much more powerful XBO or PS4.

EoinOL

Atom x5 is pretty capable at lower res. At 540p, it would be terrific. Able to run Mass Effect 3 or Tomb Raider 2013 at Xbox 360 quality.
I'm fairly sure 540p is below the minimum required resolution for non-mobile Windows 10 (if I recall correctly, the minimum is 800x600).

My surface 3 couldnt run RE4 at 30fps, @720p on low :( .
One of the things that lower-end devices have shown is that some games are way better at scaling down to minimal hardware than others. I guess it's possible that RE4 isn't one of the better games for that, for whatever reason.

jax

Banned
Pretty annoying how it takes a Chinese knockoff company to make something like this. Why did Sony abandon the Vaio-P form factor? I'll never understand why I can't put a full Windows device in my pocket. That's seriously something I've wanted for over 10 years and with today's tech it doesn't seem like it would be difficult at all to achieve.

Microsoft is worried about their mobile phone division failing when in reality all they need to do is put actual Windows and an Intel chip in there. The only platform that can compete with Apple's App Store is Windows with legacy apps.

Starcraft on my phone > Candy Crush.

SPDIF

Pretty annoying how it takes a Chinese knockoff company to make something like this. Why did Sony abandon the Vaio-P form factor? I'll never understand why I can't put a full Windows device in my pocket. That's seriously something I've wanted for over 10 years and with today's tech it doesn't seem like it would be difficult at all to achieve.

Microsoft is worried about their mobile phone division failing when in reality all they need to do is put actual Windows and an Intel chip in there. The only platform that can compete with Apple's App Store is Windows with legacy apps.

Starcraft on my phone > Candy Crush.

Isn't this what the rumoured Surface Phone is going to be?

I'll be keeping an eye on this, especially depending on specs and size. I prefer the sliding screen design as well, looks more compact and less chance of accidentally mashing on the keyboard if it's in the middle there.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I love the idea and it's something I've always wanted since I saw that "99$ tablet runs crisis" thread :D

Something I'd personally prefer though would be indented thumbsticks.

I hated the thumbsticks on the DS3 so when the DS4 came out with indented thumbsticks it immediately became my primary game pad for playing games on PC.

You know the 360 controller has existed for the last decade yeah?

Crub

The input lag on killed GPD XD for me. Aside from that the hardware was really impressive.

Since the imput lag seems to have been mainly due to Android, I'm excited again for this.

They were talking in the dingoonity thread about axing the keyboard from the device.

I can't stress enough how much this device REQUIRES a keyboard. Please don't kill it before it gets off the ground.

gelf

Well, the latest of AAA releases probably won't run very well if at all on this, but i'm perfectly fine if this plays indie games + AAA games at decent settings from 2012 and earlier.
That's all I'd ever need really. Heck a really basic handheld windows PC that's only capable to play small indies would be something I'd consider. Low res pixel art is better on a small screen.

notaskwid

They were talking in the dingoonity thread about axing the keyboard from the device.

I can't stress enough how much this device REQUIRES a keyboard. Please don't kill it before it gets off the ground.

Why does it need a keyboad? It's not like you can play game using a keyboard of that size.

You know the 360 controller has existed for the last decade yeah?

No shit, my point was that the main thing keeping me from using a ds4 were the thumbsticks and that a seemingly small difference like that made me switch my primary game pad for the last decade from a 360/xb1 to a ds4 once I got a chance to try one.

Such a change could improve this unit in my opinion.

At the very least, hotkeys.

Gamepad would be fine if you were only playing console ports, but tons of PC exclusives REQUIRE a keyboard.

Device is DOA without one.

Depends which PC exclusives. But I agree, the keyboard would be a neat addition. Even though, it doesnt have to eat up space that could be used for battery or for hardware power (heat dissipation)

MUnited83

For you.
Depends which PC exclusives. But I agree, the keyboard would be a neat addition. Even though, it doesnt have to eat up space that could be used for battery or for hardware power (heat dissipation)
Ideally it would a hacked up steam controller. That would be awesome.
That keyboard model in the OP looks incredibly cumbersome and uncomfortable to hold, let alone game with.

Depends on the size of it really. It does look that the sticks are a bit too much to the inside, but depending on the size that isn't really a issue. Anyways, that's just a preliminary concept.

Odrion

Banned

Yeah, any device that has the Intel Atom X5-Z8500 with no design to dissipate heat tends to throttle hard, I hope GDP will design the handheld with that in mind.

Yeah, any device that has the Intel Atom X5-Z8500 with no design to dissipate heat tends to throttle hard, I hope GDP will design the handheld with that in mind.
Maybe a small fan, like the Shield, would keep it from throttling. Even a little extra bulk is fine with me.

Jimrpg

That looks terrible honestly.

Why even have a keyboard? You could just have a second screen like DS which functions also as a keyboard when needed.

Dual stick DS lite or dual stick 3DS with better resolution screens would be the way to go for a windows 10/steam handheld.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I kinda like it. It's basically a Vita with a keyboard behind the screen.

The one thing that would give me pause on something like this is the build quality of a sliding screen.

Metal-Geo

That clamshell design is sexy as fuuuuck. Not sure if it really needs a keyboard -- but the whole (subtle) rounded design is really, really sleek. It being clamshell also allows for the screen to be pretty large while keeping the device relatively small (when closed).

The other mockup is horrible, clustered and cumbersome. Yugh.

My vote goes to the clamshell.

Edit: OP, where'd you get those clamshell mockups from?

Edit2: Guess they only show up if you're registered to their forum.

Hyperbole

Banned
I had no idea this existed. Awesome! Wish list:

-analog sticks in low alignment
-no physical keyboard. Allow Bluetooth keyboard accessory
-Full Steam support
-8GB RAM and 3.0+ GHz
-higher end graphics card
-no kickstand (plenty of cases have try these if desired)
-Screen over 6.5", OLED preferred
-Android mode

I had no idea this existed. Awesome! Wish list:

-analog sticks in low alignment
-no physical keyboard. Allow Bluetooth keyboard accessory
-Full Steam support
-8GB RAM and 3.0+ GHz
-higher end graphics card
-no kickstand (plenty of cases have try these if desired)
-Screen over 6.5", OLED preferred
-Android mode
You forgot to add:
Unlimited battery and bundled with a unicorn.

Omg, your nickname. Lmao, nvm.

Orayn

Like the idea, don't really think a keyboard is necessary if the screen is a decent size, say 5+". The new Windows on-screen keyboard is solid and you really wouldn't need it that often on a gaming-focused device with built-in physical controls.

RhyDin

These keys look fairly small, but it looks similar to a sidekick or blackberry. This would be nice for emulators, but what else would be playable on it? With the screen so small, text in most games would probably be unreadable. With that said, I'd love a portable gaming device that runs Windows. I loved the Dingoo, but it was too underpowered.

Thoughts?

These keys look fairly small, but it looks similar to a sidekick or blackberry. This would be nice for emulators, but what else would be playable on it? With the screen so small, text in most games would probably be unreadable. With that said, I'd love a portable gaming device that runs Windows. I loved the Dingoo, but it was too underpowered.

Thoughts?

For the text to be readable, you need a 720p screen at most.

Which games ? If it runs on Baytrail, a lot of AAA games released in 2012 and before at xbox 360 settings.

Maximo

Its what I have wanted handhelds to become but feels like the technology just isn't there yet, in a few more years it could be perfect.

Lagamorph

Ideally it would a hacked up steam controller. That would be awesome.

Depends on the size of it really. It does look that the sticks are a bit too much to the inside, but depending on the size that isn't really a issue. Anyways, that's just a preliminary concept.

Personally I think the sticks would be much easier to use if they were at the bottom, along with the buttons and D-Pad, with the keyboard above them. Unfortunately that could then make it uncomfortable to hold for an entirely different reason, being that the device would become very top heavy. At the very least, I think the left analogue stick and D-Pad should be swapped around.

I really hope it doesn't use anything like the touch pad of the Steam Controller instead of an analogue stick though. The touch pad, for me, is very hit or miss and just not as good as an analogue stick. Whilst it would give some mouse controls, I think a trackpad between the analogue sticks would be a much better choice control wise.

Personally, I think the second design in the OP is far better, with the keyboard hidden beneath the slide out screen.

Why this if you can have a Pandora instead?

pandora-2.jpg

Because Pandoras are no longer made, are ridiculously expensive, and have very weak specs.

The clamshell design with a keyboard is what I'm looking for though. A baytrail atom in this form factor is my dream portable.

People asking for no keyboard are crazy, and only limiting the device.

Lafazar

Because Pandoras are no longer made, are ridiculously expensive, and have very weak specs.

The clamshell design with a keyboard is what I'm looking for though. A baytrail atom in this form factor is my dream portable.

The spiritual successor to Pandora with better specs (called Pyra) is on track to be released sometime early this year at around 500 EUR. It's going to be ARM (running Linux), not x86, so this will at first not be interesting for those looking for a Steam handheld (unless you are willing to take the performance hit from x86 emulation+WINE).

But: the interesting thing is this: The SOC (and only the SOC) of the Pyra is on a separate board, so in theory (we will see how this actually pans out) it could be upgraded or replaced by a x86 SOC in the future while keeping everything else (case, screen, battery, keyboard, etc.).

ibEbx85.png

Main page: http://pyra-handheld.com
FAQ: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/faq-dragonbox-pyra.75902/

The spiritual successor to Pandora with better specs (called Pyra) is on track to be released sometime early this year at around 500 EUR. It's going to be ARM (running Linux), not x86, so this will at first not be interesting for those looking for a Steam handheld (unless you are willing to take the performance hit from x86 emulation+WINE).

But: the interesting thing is this: The SOC (and only the SOC) of the Pyra is on a separate board, so in theory (we will see how this actually pans out) it could be upgraded or replaced by a x86 SOC in the future while keeping everything else (case, screen, battery, keyboard, etc.).

ibEbx85.png

Main page: http://pyra-handheld.com
FAQ: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/faq-dragonbox-pyra.75902/

500 euros for an already outdated ARM? No thanks.

Lucumo

A friend of mine has one, I tried it with several older games (thanks emulation) and it was pretty cool. If I was still into handheld gaming, I definitely would have bought one.

Because I payed $500 for one and never got it.

Sorry to hear that.

A friend of mine has one, I tried it with several older games (thanks emulation) and it was pretty cool. If I was still into handheld gaming, I definitely would have bought one.
Sure, it's fine for snes emulation and back, but it severely lacks power for basically anything else (gaming and otherwise).

A device like the on in the OP could play Morrowind.

Portable. Morrowind.

PSX emulation on pandora was superb.

I remember it was even able to do Dreamcast to some extent.

It was an amazing handheld but for way too much money than I was ever willing to spend. Pyra seems to be going down the same road but it's kinda sad that its specs don't look so great. I think tech is just advancing too quickly for a small project like Pyra to keep up. Someone will always be able to make a better device before the Pyra guys can design it.

I wish them the best of luck though, if I could scrape together the money and justify the price I would get one.

I remember it was even able to do Dreamcast to some extent.

It was an amazing handheld but for way too much money than I was ever willing to spend. Pyra seems to be going down the same road but it's kinda sad that its specs don't look so great. I think tech is just advancing too quickly for a small project like Pyra to keep up. Someone will always be able to make a better device before the Pyra guys can design it.

I wish them the best of luck though, if I could scrape together the money and justify the price I would get one.

It's not so much that as that all the best SOC's require massive orders, which is why the pyra is using an OMAP chip, which is good but not cutting edge. You can't just buy 2000 snapdragon chips sadly.

They have a decision coming up after the pyra ships about switching to x86 next time round (as you can always get intel chips), but everyone would prefer to stay on ARM all things being equal.

Top Bottom