• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gradius V rated by ESRB for Playstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Because of the amazing 2D sprite work, GV upscales really well with no work needed. Unfortunately R-Type Final was 3D and it really hurts it when you upscale.
...Gradius V apparently has much better assets—particularly the textures—but they're both 3D games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
graviusvz2qqy.png
lol, took me a while to see it.

What?! This is easily one of the best shmups I have played, and one of my favorite PS2 titles. Can't wait to get this and play it again after all these years.

holy FUCK i was literally just thinking about how Konami needs to do an HD port for ps3/ps4 if they're not interested in releasing Gradius 6.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

No you don't

Not from this Konami

I put over 50 hrs into Otomedius Excellent. It's learning curve is super steep...but it's not horrible, just extremely unfair from a gameplay perspective. It really requires you to keep renewing your shield once you have weapons powered up just right.

But lately Konami seams to be only interested in yet another metal gear, terrible 3D Castlevainia's, DDR(yea still), and Soccer. I would love a true return of Parodius or Goemon.

andymcc

Banned
I put over 50 hrs into Otomedius Excellent. It's learning curve is super steep...but it's not horrible, just extremely unfair from a gameplay perspective. It really requires you to keep renewing your shield once you have weapons powered up just right.

i haven't really played it outside of the arcade machine in Japan where i was encouraged to touch the boobs....

in public.

holy FUCK i was literally just thinking about how Konami needs to do an HD port for ps3/ps4 if they're not interested in releasing Gradius 6.

can't wait for the awful mercury steam take on the series you jerk

can't wait for the awful mercury steam take on the series you jerk
Nah, Gradius 6 did exist in some capacity during the early years of the PS3, but it either never entered actual production or was put on the backburner because Konami has no idea how to sell games anymore.

That being said, I would be okay with mercurysteam doing that instead of contra. A gradius game tailored to western audiences might be a cool space sim like those 3D gradius arcade games while its extremely likely contra will be a TPS.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
anyway this is great news. won't be ditching my ps2 copy but more people should play GV. imo it's much more enjoyable than that other Treasure game people like so much.

jett

D-Member
I could see where they might be coming from. Some elements give of a distinctly 2D effect. The gray bullets for example look mad spritey.

No offense but you'd have to have cataracts in your eyes to not notice that the game was entirely polygonal.

OmegaDL50

Nah, Bro

Gradius V is indeed 3D, all of the cutscenes and rotational stuff done in the game was entirely consisted of in-game assets.

Although the cutscene on the 2nd stage when they zoom super close to the Vic Viper showed it's was fairly low-poly for a ship, but considering this is supposed to be a shmup with a consistent 60fps.

In fact if everything was 2D, It wonder how much the PS2 would choke with so many objects on screen. I mean referring to the rock level with nearly 60 or so meteorites on screen (and all of them exploding into radius of bullets on the higher difficulties or loops which generates even MORE objects on screen)

gradius5-20.png

or organic level with the dozens of green slime particles and enemies with the animated background

90751-gradius-v-playstation-2-screenshot-avoid-the-green-stuff-it.png

Yeah for 3D game, Gradius V has a super clean look and considering it doesn't have any of that blocky 3D that ages poorly, it is a game that will stand the test of time.

Dezzy

what is this gif from
7fkwKww.gif

It's from Clannad. I literally just watched the episode it's from yesterday, so it was kinda amusing to see this .gif today. :)

Back on topic. I actually bought Otomedius at release based on my love for Gradius and Parodius. It broke by heart it was so bad. As for Gradius V, yeah that game was amazing, and had some really creative levels too. I'd pay $50 for a full HD remake, but I'm sure this will just be a PS2 Classic. Still worth buying for $10 or whatever though.

mrmickfran

I've had the PS2 copy since February, but I haven't been able to get past the 3rd stage since I lose almost all my lives to that insane Boss gauntlet at the end of stage 2.

Oh and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor = BEST Treasure game. COME AT ME HATERS!!!

Wonko_C

Because of the amazing 2D sprite work (I'm wrong here, they're both 3D!), GV upscales really well with no work needed. Unfortunately R-Type Final was 3D and it really hurts it when you upscale.

All these shots were taken at straight 3x Native PS2 resolution (no AA) using PCSX2.

gsdx_20131029120554.png

gsdx_20131029120834.png

gsdx_20131029121225.png

gsdx_20131029121241.png

I wish Gradius V had an HD port. As much as I love seeing my PS2 games running at high resolutions on PCSX2, I normally don't go further than Stage 2 on Gradius V because I can't bear the input lag.

robot

Awesome, GV is one of the few PS2 games I still own. Pretty sure that gamestop bonus DVD is in the case too. Time to double dip!

Konami Social Media Associate Manager, here. Now that the ESRB has released that info, I guess it's fine to say it's coming. Paperwork and pricing are still being finalized but you should expect it soon-ish on PSN.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Konami Social Media Associate Manager, here. Now that the ESRB has released that info, I guess it's fine to say it's coming. Paperwork and pricing are still being finalized but you should expect it soon-ish on PSN.
Awesome! Please bring the PS2 Silent Hill games to PSN as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom