• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

kbear

$40 Paypal for someone who will share GT5P with me. You must have bought it with PSN card. PM me if interested, thanks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
weedlewalker said:
This is a BS answer. I do not care what the game runs but do not bash another system because it does not do "Full HD, 1080P60" when your game does not.

GT5 is not 1080p (those of you who say 1280x1080 is still 1080p, what would you do if you bought a 1080p TV that ended up having that res instead of 1920x1080)
GT5 is not Full HD (it is scaled)
GT5 is not 60fps (slowdowns)

Do I care?....not really but it is annoying when sony and Kaz make some bizarre point of always mentioning it when at this point it is a flat out lie.
The game would probably benefit from 720p to be honest since it is scaled anyway now.

you downloaded GT5P, not GT5.

Zaptruder said:
Technically, Kaz is correct; his game is a full 1080p game... there are a full 1080 pixels vertically. They're just scaling the game horizontally.

Moreover, it's 60fps for the most part... so I think it's a fair call to call it 1080p60, even if there area caveats to that.

That said, there can be no doubting that they're hard at work on fixing up that frame rate, and maybe even providing us with a more attractive resolution... although that's probably not going to change, so that they can make way for even more system intensive effects like locking to 60, and crash physics.

I agree with what you have said other than he uses the phrase "Full HD" over and over again and you know that he is alluding to Full 1080P not 1280x1080.
It would be nice if he was just upfront about it instead of being a sony puppet and putting down others for something his game is not even doing.

Guess what.... xbox360, ps3 and wii cannot do FullHD......everyone needs to just move on.
This game in 720P would enable them to fix the v-snyc and framedrops easily.

antiloop

weedlewalker said:
"""Yamauchi: Yes, exactly. On the other hand, Xbox 360 is not a system designed to support Full HD since the beginning. There are very few 1080p60 games on Xbox 360. It seems like a system designed for the inferior 720p. We're talking about significant differences in this very generation of home consoles. Soon enough people will give credit to the strong attractive of Full HD, of the true high resolution. I want to do videogames that take full advantage of each generation's technical abilities.""""

I respect this guy more than anyone else and I am a huge fan of the series.

This is a BS answer. I do not care what the game runs but do not bash another system because it does not do "Full HD, 1080P60" when your game does not.

GT5p is not 1080p (those of you who say 1280x1080 is still 1080p, what would you do if you bought a 1080p TV that ended up having that res instead of 1920x1080)
GT5p is not Full HD (it is scaled)
GT5p is not 60fps (slowdowns)

Do I care?....not really but it is annoying when sony and Kaz make some bizarre point of always mentioning it when at this point it is a flat out lie.
The game would probably benefit from 720p to be honest since it is scaled anyway now.

Come on now, most games this generation are closer to 20 FPS and not HD if we count like that.

Also this need to be quoted IMO:

Regarding realism, when will we see car damage?

Yamauchi: Right now we're testing this. We will see car damage in GT5. There are three problems to solve though. Firstly, some car manufacturers don't care to see damage in their cars but others would never allow that. Some cars will be damaged and others won't, depending on the manufacturer. Secondly, the simulation. In Daytona Speedway, for instance, going slightly sideways when getting out of the banked curve and entering the straight section and hitting slightly the rear part of our car against the sides of the track will make our car become utter junk. Game over. It's a small mistake, but physics calculations tell us we'd undergo a 150 G force. That equals death. The car is literally disintegrated. We do not want that. We do not want to destroy the cars. I don't like that. That's ultrarealistic simulation, but if it happens, the game is over, you lose your car. I'm resisting to accept that kind of effect. Right now we're looking into how to make pure simulation and these kind of situations be compatible with each other. And the third problem, the fact that many driving games out there feature this kind of accidents, but I've never seen one which actually provide something positive or are perfect from a technical standpoint. I've got to think a lot about it yet, but I understand the series supporters do want damage and accidents because, for the better or worse, they're an integral part of reality.

Exactly.

What we want is not realism. We want a way to make the cars take a hit and run slower or just look damaged but we still don't want to "die". Complete realism is boring.

maskrider

TTP said:
You should learn to use the Quote tag. Other than this, I agree.

Videos are usually counted by lines, that's technically 1080p.

TTP said:
NeoGAF: "No shit. It's your shitty HDTV."

I have one with tearing, too. But does that matter much ? To me, no.

But I don't have much push to give it more time at the moment. Just finished Folklore yesterday.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
antiloop said:
Exactly.

What we want is not realism. We want a way to make the cars take a hit and run slower or just look damaged but we still don't want to "die". Complete realism is boring.

Well, he has being saying that since GT3. I say just add a damn option. Arcade-ish damage, Realistic damage, super-realistic-car-am-disintegrated damage. You are already giving similar options in regards to the driving model. Do the same for damage and bye. Add some incentives maybe, like rewarding more Cr depending on the chosen damage model. It's really not that diffiicult if you really want it.

weedlewalker said:

I don't know why you seem to think they need to downgrade the game in order to fix those issues. They've got nearly a year left in development for GT5. And as Kaz said he knows what people expects from the next GT and one of those is the framerate. There were issues with GT4P also that were cleaned up with GT4, there's no reason to think GT5 will be any different.

jett

D-Member
gt5p-integra-daytona-3.jpg

:0 Insanity.

SolidSnakex said:
There were issues with GT4P also that were cleaned up with GT4, there's no reason to think GT5 will be any different.

Is that true? I did not play the prologue on the final but I remember people saying there was no change in visuals?

weedlewalker said:
Is that true? I did not play the prologue on the final but I remember people saying there was no change in visuals?

There were, specifically with New York which was in an unfinished form and had issues.

Valcrist

i had a hard time deciding whether to get this, as i've spent so much money on gaming this year...but thanks to this thread i bit the bullet.

ghibli99

Kyoufu said:
These 720p/1080p downscale/upscale chatter really ruins the thread and makes me not want to play with you people.
I dunno... ignoring the issues is pretty weak, too.

But I'm going to have some faith in PD and trust that they'll address these issues a year from now when the full game gets released. Jesus, another year... sigh, oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Kyoufu

ghibli99 said:
I dunno... ignoring the issues is pretty weak, too.

But I'm going to have some faith in PD and trust that they'll address these issues a year from now when the full game gets released. Jesus, another year... sigh, oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

I'm not ignoring these issues, I'm just not acting like its the first game (this isn't even a game, its a fucking beta test) with slowdown or tearing.

Seriously, stop acting like its the end of the world when the game slows down here or there. The game is still perfectly playable. When your enjoyment of a game is hampered by a game not being true 1080p, or when a game dips from 60fps to 40fps for a few seconds, you should take a step back and consider not gaming at all.

I've played way too many games with way too much slowdown in them and I can still enjoy them if they are worth it. It just turns out GT5:p is one hell of an experience.

Seriously people, stop bitching and start practicing for the 25th.

Udde

I only know that if I set GT5P demo to 720p instead of 1080p, it looks considerably worse, it clearly show a difference. I rather it being 1080p without some textures / polygons / whatever here and there.

PS: where is my BD yesasia!!! :'(

weedlewalker said:
I agree with what you have said other than he uses the phrase "Full HD" over and over again and you know that he is alluding to Full 1080P not 1280x1080.
It would be nice if he was just upfront about it instead of being a sony puppet and putting down others for something his game is not even doing.

Guess what.... xbox360, ps3 and wii cannot do FullHD......everyone needs to just move on.

Pretty sure if you play this game in 720p most of those issues are resolved anyway...

Also, the frame drops and tearing are no where near as bad as say, Heavenly Sword, Mass Effect, or Halo 3 in certain cases...yet all those games were loved (mostly) by people who played them...

I even remember the 'Frame Unlock' feature in Bioshock being somewhat of a 'loved' feature, even though it turned off v-sync and had significant frame drops.

What gives? Higher standard?

AranhaHunter said:
Maybe Sony should increase the size of PD, I kinda wanna see what RPG this man can create.

Its possible that after GT5 they could do that RPG. If they decide not to make another GT this gen and instead just update GT5 with new cars, tracks ect. they could open up the team for a new project.

SolidSnakex said:
Its possible that after GT5 they could do that RPG. If they decide not to make another GT this gen and instead just update GT5 with new cars, tracks ect. they could open up the team for a new project.

Maybe they can increase the size of the team and Kaz can overlook GT6 and the RPG? What's PD size? 200 people? Give them another 100 or so capable developers and have them work on it.

I agree about the practicing.....I am not ready.
You realize the bitching is because the game is so great.

Who cares about slowdown and details on a crappy game.
It is human nature to be more critical about things you are passionate about and love.
If you saw a fat ugly girl on the street with a wart on her nose the wart probably would not bother you that much. If Natalie Portman had that same wart you would sure as hell be begging her to get it cut off.

Kyoufu said:
I'm not ignoring these issues, I'm just not acting like its the first game (this isn't even a game, its a fucking beta test) with slowdown or tearing.

Seriously, stop acting like its the end of the world when the game slows down here or there. The game is still perfectly playable. When your enjoyment of a game is hampered by a game not being true 1080p, or when a game dips from 60fps to 40fps for a few seconds, you should take a step back and consider not gaming at all.

I've played way too many games with way too much slowdown in them and I can still enjoy them if they are worth it. It just turns out GT5:p is one hell of an experience.

Seriously people, stop bitching and start practicing for the 25th.

Goldrusher

Anyone kept track of the prize cars ? What do you win at all bronze, all silver, all gold at C, B, A and S ?

Geezer said:
You can sell cars? I had no idea. Maybe I sold it by accident!

Guide to sell a car:

1. go to garage
2. pick a car you're not in at the moment
3. click the button on the right

Valcrist

weedlewalker said:

It is human nature to be more critical about things you are passionate about and love.
If you saw a fat ugly girl on the street with a wart on her nose the wart probably would not bother you that much. If Natalie Portman had that same wart you would sure as hell be begging her to get it cut off.

agreed

nofi

Why do you put your comments above the stuff you're quoting, it's confusing?

weedlewalker said:

Kyoufu

Yeah it is pretty confusing, but he has a point with Natalie Portman. I'm just ticked off you guys talk more about tearing than actual gameplay...

nofi said:
Why do you put your comments above the stuff you're quoting, it's confusing?

weedlewalker said:

Fat girls need love too.

I just made this real quick. I was bored.

e8d320b5-cb2e-40e7-9b70-a31139918ee.jpg

I so fucked up, I had the GT logo done and everything and when I came to save the design, I somehow overwrited it. I am soo pissed.

I am going to try racing this online.

Madman

TTP said:
Well, he has being saying that since GT3. I say just add a damn option. Arcade-ish damage, Realistic damage, super-realistic-car-am-disintegrated damage. You are already giving similar options in regards to the driving model. Do the same for damage and bye. Add some incentives maybe, like rewarding more Cr depending on the chosen damage model. It's really not that diffiicult if you really want it.
3 damage models would probably be very hard to do. I would imagine PD will do no damage and realistic damage, if there is any at all. No damage for the casual players, and realistic damage for the people that want it. But if that does come to fruition, I can't wait for the "I tapped my car on the guard rail and it's completely wrecked?! WTF?!?!" posts that follow it.

Kyoufu

Madman said:
3 damage models would probably be very hard to do. I would imagine PD will do no damage and realistic damage, if there is any at all. No damage for the casual players, and realistic damage for the people that want it. But if that does come to fruition, I can't wait for the "I tapped my car on the guard rail and it's completely wrecked?! WTF?!?!" posts that follow it.

And the "WTF some ass went suicidal and fucked me up online" posts.

orio7 said:
Why would you want a PD RPG? I don't see it being any better than a S-E racing sim. :S

Because good RPGs come from perfectionists and Kaz is a perfectionist, could it suck? yes, but it could also be great, just wanna see what they can do.

Madman said:

I don't think it'd be that hard to do, I think it should be:

1) Amateur - bumper cars, basically what it is now
2) Professional - with the new penalty system
3) Expert - you get all the (available) damages and physics, one mistake and it can be over.

That way if you wanna do endurance but want to make sure that you won't destroy your car on the 23rd hour, then you choose level 1 or 2.

I don't think this would be that hard to implement

Top Bottom