• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Doing the IA license at the moment, relieving that a few of them are quite easy to gold. The last two lap race in the Lamborghini Gallardo is really fun, nice car that just grips nicely when you slide and give it a little more power. Still a tough race.

Niks

^ Lightning as DLC driver confirmed.

Would you guys be disappointed if GT on PS4 is a more polished/smoother version of GT5 with more content? Or are you guys expecting a total makeover (sans car models)?
Personally, Im not expecting a total makeover, and Im ok with that. Still, its Polyphony we are talking about, Im sure they will show some wizardry.

I wouldn't be disappointed, but I think that there's an obvious expectation for them to blow us away. That's what they've always done when they've finally revealed a proper GT. But i'm really not sure what to expect with this game. I would've expected it to be GT3-style entry. Light on content but polished like nothing else. But then you have the comments from Lucas about how the track count for GT6 "will be simply jawdropping". So they obviously aren't going light.

Maybe it really is just a case that they were preparing for the PS4 all along with GT5. They were building higher end assets so that everything was ready to go once PS4 kits were in their offices. We know that they've got a weather system built. And the trailers show that it is an impressive system when it's not being held back by the limitation of the PS3. And of course the cars are ready to go. It just really comes down to those tracks.

I wouldn't be disappointed, but I think that there's an obvious expectation for them to blow us away. That's what they've always done when they've finally revealed a proper GT. But i'm really not sure what to expect with this game. I would've expected it to be GT3-style entry. Light on content but polished like nothing else. But then you have the comments from Lucas about how the track count for GT6 "will be simply jawdropping". So they obviously aren't going light.

Maybe it really is just a case that they were preparing for the PS4 all along with GT5. They were building higher end assets so that everything was ready to go once PS4 kits were in their offices. We know that they've got a weather system built. And the trailers show that it is an impressive system when it's not being held back by the limitation of the PS3. And of course the cars are ready to go. It just really comes down to those tracks.

It doesn't have to be a complete overhaul to me.

Remember how blown away literally everyone was when GT5's feature set (and then Kaz's extra features) was initially released? Then almost all of them, while there, ended up being a huge disappointment.

I think the feature set is mostly there, and they just need to polish and work on the interfaces for everything, etc.

One thing I think needs an overhaul though is the main GT mode.

Ideally, some things I'd like to see:

1. Standing starts all around, or rolling starts not putting you at a huge disadvantage against equally matched cars

2. Qualifying. Wasn't this in GT1? Why'd they remove it? It doesn't have to be required (I may be thinking of another game).

3. Before every race in an event, I want the ability to put in practice laps and learn the track, and tune the car, without having to exit the event.

4. It would be pretty cool if each event in the "single player" mode were actually multiplayer lobbies as well. Fill a race with CPU players if it doesn't fill after a bit. Would have to enforce PP caps, however.

Remember how blown away literally everyone was when GT5's feature set (and then Kaz's extra features) was initially released? Then almost all of them, while there, ended up being a huge disappointment.

I think the feature set is mostly there, and they just need to polish and work on the interfaces for everything, etc.

One thing I think needs an overhaul though is the main GT mode.

Ideally, some things I'd like to see:

1. Standing starts all around, or rolling starts not putting you at a huge disadvantage against equally matched cars

2. Qualifying. Wasn't this in GT1? Why'd they remove it? It doesn't have to be required (I may be thinking of another game).

3. Before every race in an event, I want the ability to put in practice laps and learn the track, and tune the car, without having to exit the event.

4. It would be pretty cool if each event in the "single player" mode were actually multiplayer lobbies as well. Fill a race with CPU players if it doesn't fill after a bit. Would have to enforce PP caps, however.

1. Yep, I'd like standing starts too.

2. Yes, qualifying was in GT1. I would make it an option for those that want it.

3. That's a good idea. Also, when I'm practicing at a track, I'd like to be able to switch cars while at the track menu screen. Not sure how feasible that is though.

4. Maybe a good idea, not sure that matters to me all that much though.

5. As I've said many times before, I want the event generator back. Or the ability to create your own championship series of races.

And change your car for that matter, no reason it shouldn't be like online mode especailly for things like time trials.

Menu side should be built around locations and a travelling crew instead of the weird 'sitting in a car' vibe they have. If the game shows me having a full crew of mechanics at a race why am I having to leave the circuit and pretend to get in each car just to drive them to the garage to get an oil change? Put in that side mode where you can travel from your showroom and drive around a little town to different garages for the Jay Leno simulator side but keep it optional.

amar212

It just really comes down to those tracks.

Tracks and options. Many options, features and small functionalities that are needed to make everything perfect.

For me, GT5 is showcase of astonishing foundation. I literally do not know any other game in the genre that has such foundation in place, ready to be expanded. I really hope they can look back to previous GT games and take out from them what was great and incorporate in within GT5-engine foundation.

Long time ago I made a list with noticeable features from previous GT games that should be part of GT5.

Also, I made a list of enhancements of current GT5 noticeable features that could be easily expanded into GT6.

On top of that, I thought about integration with cross-platform Vita functionalities that could both integrate into GT6 and expand "big" experience. My idea was not to build a separate GT Vita game (I honestly think how portable platform is not suitable for serious driving game. However, I really love GTPSP and I am among the few who think how complete "Career" of GTPSP was perfectly executed for portable platform), but to enhance complete "Gran Turismo" experience through Vita as platform (to have free downloadable GTApp that integrates with "big" game either through cloud-saving or direct USB connection).

When I subjectively think about it, foundation of GT5, expanded with plethora of new tracks of course and with all 3 set of features/functionalities I've noted above would be a pitch perfect GT game.

I really love GTPSP and I am among the few who think how complete "Career" of GTPSP was perfectly executed for portable platform), but to enhance complete "Gran Turismo" experience through Vita as platform (to have free downloadable GTApp that integrates with "big" game either through cloud-saving or direct USB connection).

Was one of the first games I downloaded for my Vita!

Syn23

I think that highest LOD car models in GT5 are already next-gen level.
I'm sure the game will run at true full HD (1920*1080) @ 60fps without any alpha channel resolution problems.
Driving physics is already great, and the needed changes to the interface shouldn't be hard to implement.

My main concerns are:
  • Tracks: All the tracks should be of the same quality of Spa or better. I don't want to drive around that version of Trial Mountain anymore.
  • IA: I know that under some specific conditions IA in GT5 is already good, but I'd like it to be good in every race. This leads me to the next point...
  • Game design: They should think about more subtle ways to make the game enjoyable to both "casual" players and hardcore fans. I mean, now the first thing we do with every car we buy is to turn off all (or almost all) the assists, and that alone makes a lot of difference. But they could do a lot more to challenge us while still keeping the game accessible. For example, other that the obvious difficulty setting they could add optional sub requisites for races and events. Or they can go in a lot of other directions. In any case, I want more challenge and a better sense of progression through my career in the game.
  • Other: This is what concerns me the most. I hope they nail the interface usability and all the features, but I don't think we'll get even near the "perfect GT" that amar describes in his posts. Other than that, thay have to make a strong decision on damage and collisions: either keep it the way that they are now, or implement them properly for each and every car. The second option would require a lot of work, so probably the first should be the right one to choose. I hope they don't stand in between and waste their time to implement an half-done feature, similarly to what they did in GT5.

Niks

Amar said:
expanded Course Maker functionality (up to 20 new environments would do miracles with added option to adjust the sloping of the corners, inserting chicanes for selected type of environments <racing tracks> and added option of point-to-point courses - as we seen in GT5 pre-release videos and GT5 Rally section the game, then mysteriously disappearing from the Course Maker final release >> imagine the Online Lobby with 14 players tackling the generated P2P course in the real-time, without any of them previously seeing it and post-race results and ability to make a Championship for instance. No brainer I think.

Yeah, this is one thing PD could/should totally pull off for GT6.
It goes perfectly in line, with Sonys "Play Create Share" mantra.. The ability to rate, share, and comment on tracks. Track of the week... Sort by most downloads... etc.

I'm talking about from a visual point of view. When it's unveiled that's probably all we'll know about it. I don't really expect them to say anything about the feature set for the game. I think people expect it to blow them away if they unveil it as GT6. If it's a trailer to show what concept they may be going for, like GT2000 or Vision GT, then few will care about whether or not it just looks like a cleaner GT5.

The end feature set is an entirely different beast. GT5 already has a lot of shit in it, so just some polish onto that would go a long way. I don't necessarily think that they have to go crazy with adding new features.

On top of that, I thought about integration with cross-platform Vita functionalities that could both integrate into GT6 and expand "big" experience. My idea was not to build a separate GT Vita game (I honestly think how portable platform is not suitable for serious driving game. However, I really love GTPSP and I am among the few who think how complete "Career" of GTPSP was perfectly executed for portable platform), but to enhance complete "Gran Turismo" experience through Vita as platform (to have free downloadable GTApp that integrates with "big" game either through cloud-saving or direct USB connection).

Something like allowing you to handle B-Spec mode on the Vita while you're at work would be a nice addition. But i'd prefer for them to work on additional Vita functions after the game is completed. They should be devoting all their resources to making sure GT6 is polished and ready to go as soon as possible.

-Amon-

^ Lightning as DLC driver confirmed.

Would you guys be disappointed if GT on PS4 is a more polished/smoother version of GT5 with more content? Or are you guys expecting a total makeover (sans car models)?
Personally, Im not expecting a total makeover, and Im ok with that. Still, its Polyphony we are talking about, Im sure they will show some wizardry.

I don't know if they have enough manpower to do that but for me, it would be great if:

All the tracks already present in Gt5 with variable weather and time of day / night.
All the tracks already present in Gt5 up to Tokyo R246 quality ( yes Trial Mountain i'm looking at you )

Let's say 2 more real life tracks + 2 more historical GT tracks ( i'd go with bathrust, imola, el capitan, special stage r11 )

All the Premium cars already present in GT5 with realistic mechanical and estethic damage

Let's say at least 50 standard cars turned to premium.

I'd like them to pay more attention to race rules. You put Nascar in Gt6 ? Great. But if you do i'd like Nascar rules ( flags, restarts, etc )

Same for Rally please.

I'll stop here before going in daydreaming territory.

dubc35

*snip*

Let's say 2 more real life tracks + 2 more historical GT tracks ( i'd go with bathrust, imola, el capitan, special stage r11 )

*snip*

Bathurst, Willow Springs and Silverstone are basically already confirmed so I think you're good to go there for real tracks.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
El Capitan, whether the actual track, or as part of the scenery for a track generator would slay me.

I'd get down on my knees and cry sweet tears.

Atrophis

Finally ordered a copy of GT5. Time to (literally) dust off my G25.

GT6 gotta be a launch game for PS4 right? Shit would sell like crazy.

GT6 gotta be a launch game for PS4 right? Shit would sell like crazy.

I'm guessing no going by the Evolution Studios news that was just posted in the main forum. I can't see Sony launching a brand new GT while also trying to launch an entirely new racing brand. I expect them to give a huge push to Evolution's new IP while giving PD extra time to develop GT6.

Mobius 1

My ridiculous dream for GT6 is a random road generator that would keep feeding you miles upon miles of road to just drive. Maybe as a test drive option.

A point to point course generator.

The ability to build custom multiplayer events with said courses - building a Rally event.

Make the washing your car function relevant - the cars could accumulate more grime and dirt over regular racing, now just on dirt courses.

Marshals and more human elements around the courses. Remember the GT5 Vision trailer of old? With a screne with the team cheering on the driver over the pit wall? I want more of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_k0CGmhb88&feature=player_detailpage#t=76s

There was also a video of GT5 at TGS, where when the drive was about to leave the pits for a run, the team was there with the lollipop, the team manager stepping out of the way... it just adds to the level of immersion that's lacking today:
ibwQLIDKrIMM2m.gif

Niks

I'm guessing no going by the Evolution Studios news that was just posted in the main forum. I can't see Sony launching a brand new GT while also trying to launch an entirely new racing brand. I expect them to give a huge push to Evolution's new IP while giving PD extra time to develop GT6.

Glad they didnt take the GT name.
GT is GT.

That said, looking forward to what evolution is cooking.

I am expecting a better driving experience, single player, and multiplayer. I would be very disappointed with a up-ressed GT5. This includes things like-

- better tire wear/grip
- more options at pit stops
- more interesting Sp campaign then just chasing cars, cash and levels.
- improved online (although GT5's online was pretty solid)
- removal of paint chip system

MGR

In light of the developments during the past few weeks it would seem there's still a long wait until another GT instalment. Given PD are still invested in evolving GT5 with more patches than a king size quilt, I ask: "Where the hell is the track DLC?"

In two years we've gotten:

Spa (which should have been included at launch)
Kart Space (I guess we should have at least one kart track)
SSRX (Test Course - also should have been launch track)
Motegi (is fine, but not exactly a crowd favourite)

It's not like PD are adverse to taking PS2 assets and slapping a coat of paint on them either (see Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, Côte d’Azur)

Missing in action:
- Apricot Hill Raceway
- El Capitan
- Midfield Raceway
- Fuji Speedway 80's & 90&#8242;s Version
- Infineon Raceway
- Hong Kong
- New York
- Opera Paris
- Seattle Circuit
- Seoul Central
- Special Stage Route 11
- Cathedral Rocks Trail I & II
- Grand Canyon
- Ice Arena
- Tahiti Maze
- Smokey Mountain
- Citta di Aria
- Costa di Amalfi
- George V Paris

The game has 1000+ cars and I'd be lucky to have driven 1/4 or them. But the included tracks are well and truly trodden now. I happily take a 'PS2 Classics' track pack if it was offered.

256+256MB of RAM™

It makes me wonder just how much stuff they cut but we don't know about. We know about osme of the stuff because it was pulled after being announced

- Youtube uploads
- Headtracking was only in limited form

Then you have all the weather effects that were impacted heavily by the PS3's limitations. I certainly wonder if something like the Course Maker was limited due to the PS3's ram issues. We know that the game was supposed to have point to point races, but those were dropped without explanation.

Dead Man

Tracks and options. Many options, features and small functionalities that are needed to make everything perfect.

For me, GT5 is showcase of astonishing foundation. I literally do not know any other game in the genre that has such foundation in place, ready to be expanded. I really hope they can look back to previous GT games and take out from them what was great and incorporate in within GT5-engine foundation.

Long time ago I made a list with noticeable features from previous GT games that should be part of GT5.

Also, I made a list of enhancements of current GT5 noticeable features that could be easily expanded into GT6.

When I subjectively think about it, foundation of GT5, expanded with plethora of new tracks of course and with all 3 set of features/functionalities I've noted above would be a pitch perfect GT game.

As ever, you save me the hassle of listing all the things I want back from earlier games. If they only did that I would be over the moon.

amar212

It makes me wonder just how much stuff they cut but we don't know about. We know about osme of the stuff because it was pulled after being announced

- Youtube uploads
- Headtracking was only in limited form

Then you have all the weather effects that were impacted heavily by the PS3's limitations. I certainly wonder if something like the Course Maker was limited due to the PS3's ram issues. We know that the game was supposed to have point to point races, but those were dropped without explanation.

Well, weather effects at the first place - and by that I don't mean actual implementation on per-track basis, but I think we both think about on-track wet-areas, progressive drying of racing line, etc (as in F1 Codemasters games for instance).

Also this. Suzuka is "Open Field Track" - I see Nurb and LeMans as "Tunnel Tracks" for instance - where you actually have all in-race dynamics and real-time assets within the same area (bridge section on Suzuka for instance) in the same time (on the "Tunnel" tracks there is no real-time *load* of assets and dynamics, things can be very *scaled* during actual gameplay).

So, I think how RAM was a great obstacle to have day/night dynamics on many of tracks, because they're not "Tunnel Tracks". Maybe I am not easy to understand, but this iRacing video of Daytona Night Race explains better: Daytona Road is big "Open Field Track" where you can *see* all on-track assets and dynamics in the real-time during your play. I think load on RAM is drastic for such occasions, especially if day/night change would occur on such "open" field.

The "moving clouds" footage for the NSX video provides great optimism towards possible next-gen GT engine. If the current engine delivered 60fps/1240x1080p in real-time with everything that is going on during the race - 16 cars on track with scalable physics engine (up to 360Hz) and full-presence (no CPU "shadowing") of 15+1 vehicle AI, real-time HDR, real-time effects of flames and brakes, real-time particle effects (including progressive dirt accumulation on vehicles), real-time smoke, daytime/weather engine with full-HDR properties, real-time ambiance lighting with lens-flaring for both vehicles and surroundings, animated rain with physics properties, animated drivers, movable objects in cockpits, progressively animated vehicles (aerodynamic parts, suspensions and real-time crumble damage, wipers and aerodynamically influenced parts such as antennas, visible progressive dirt accumulation/removal on tyres), on-tracks physics (side-track objects with own physical properties, real-time wind simulation, real-time skid marks..), pit-crew AI, real-time vehicle properties (mechanical damage, tyre and fuel), real-time track properties that influence vehicles and weather-engine (temperature, air humidity, track temperature, surface humidity..), real-time weather properties with own sub-engine (rain changes into light snow for instance on SSR7 track or clear weather changes to light snow and to blizzard on Chamonix..), ambiance effects (fireworks, etc.), real-time background saving of all race-data, parallel sub-engine for FFB HID devices, 7.1 PCM audio with real-time point-to-object spatiality, etc.) - and all that with 256+256 of RAM - I think we can safely guess how 3GB of GDDR5 (as leaks are reporting) will result with crazy complexity of dynamics.

Well, weather effects at the first place - and by that I don't mean actual implementation on per-track basis, but I think we both think about on-track wet-areas, progressive drying of racing line, etc (as in F1 Codemasters games for instance).

Yeah, SSR7 is one of the rain tracks that actually has a wet road effect, and I think the framerate takes a bigger hit on that track than it does on any other that features rain. And then you have the lack of a wet look on the actual cars. I would expect that neither will be an issue for the PS4. And those two things alone would add a huge graphical boost to any track that has rain.

I remember Kaz also mentioning that on snow tracks you'd create ruts in the snow that would affect that handling. I don't think that actually made it into the game either.

Whatever happened to this? Looks brilliant.

It's still in the game, just without the team manager and the guy with the camera.

That was purposely built for that demo station, it's even how the race started. And having just 1 pitcrew instead of 16 obviously you can't have it be as detailed/numbered.

MGR

Also this. Suzuka is "Open Field Track" - I see Nurb and LeMans as "Tunnel Tracks" for instance - where you actually have all in-race dynamics and real-time assets within the same area (bridge section on Suzuka for instance) in the same time (on the "Tunnel" tracks there is no real-time *load* of assets and dynamics, things can be very *scaled* during actual gameplay).

So, I think how RAM was a great obstacle to have day/night dynamics on many of tracks, because they're not "Tunnel Tracks". Maybe I am not easy to understand, but this iRacing video of Daytona Night Race explains better: Daytona Road is big "Open Field Track" where you can *see* all on-track assets and dynamics in the real-time during your play. I think load on RAM is drastic for such occasions, especially if day/night change would occur on such "open" field.

'Open' vs 'tunnel' tracks layouts may have been a factor in determining whether or not a particular track included time-of-day and weather effects. But there are also circumstances where there doesn't seem to be any technical reason why the additional effects were omitted.

For example:
- Nurbugring 24 layout incorporates the Nordschleife AND GP circuit with full time of day and weather effects. But GP/F and GP/D circuit on their own have no such option.
- Sukuza full circuit has weather effects but the shorter Suzuka East doesn't.
- High Speed Ring has weather effects. Reverse direction does not.
- Eiger Nordwand has weather effects. Reverse direction does not.

Surely Deep Forest and Trial Mountain also fit into the 'Tunnel' track category. If weather effects are available in Suzuka, why not Autumn Ring?

I was looking at some of the GT5 screens in GTplanet's arts & concepts thread, and it really shows just how much GT5's current visuals can be enhanced with a heavier focus weather and other effects

8151609302_02239ff90e1ljrg.jpg

8180535187_dce54d1224qsk6j.jpg

8272208201_68474504432cjd6.jpg

8297081752_288e463ec2uaj11.jpg

8298687710_e4701547e5rbkag.jpg

8298689824_ef97f08b53p6k36.jpg

8338322571_d97ee834688rkzl.jpg

They're obviously going to continue to improve on the car models and tracks, but I really hope that they start shifting their focus more toward the things that really add atmosphere to the game. Stuff like detail rain, snow and clouds go a long way in improving the visuals.

brentech

I think the track surfaces in GT5 are one of the most bland aspects that need some love. The texturing is quite dull there when you compare to almost any other racer.
Real Life tracks almost never look so clean and lifeless.
Outside of that, all atmosphere stuff could use a boost as yall said.

So for the first time when I turned on the game a like red star on seasonal events, is it just telling me to play them or is there something special going on? I've never seen a symbol there before and was just wondering what it was telling me.

Also, what kind of setups do you guys have for your steering wheels? I've been using the controller and it's just a pain at time to use. I have a G35 but I don't have anything really good to bolt it to. Is there something cheaper than those seat things you can buy to set it up to use? Thanks!

dubc35

The red star means there is a new event since the last time you entered the seasonal events. I'm not sure on wheel settings (use a DFGT myself) but for stand you could check out gtplanet.net. There are a bunch of DIY stands on there as well if you search for them.

The red star means there is a new event since the last time you entered the seasonal events. I'm not sure on wheel settings (use a DFGT myself) but for stand you could check out gtplanet.net. There are a bunch of DIY stands on there as well if you search for them.

Cool, I'll look thorough it now. I don't want anything too big and a lot seem to be the huge cockpit type things. I want it to fit in my room and don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it. I was trying like a tv dinner tray I had but I had no where to put the shifter was the only thing I didn't like.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, is Polyphony ever going to give us the ability to get all the Stealth models?

dubc35

Is maintenance happening now?

Yep
gtplanet.net said:
Polyphony Digital announced two 3-hour scheduled maintenance periods for Gran Turismo 5‘s online services yesterday, both of which will take place next week.

The first maintenance period will occur on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, between 16:00 and 19:00 GMT, with the second just two days later, on Thursday, February 14, 2013, during the same time period.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5-online-service-maintenance-coming-feb-12th-14th/

Top Bottom