• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

benzy

Finally got the record function working again.

Rally track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFha8G28yYw

Reno-Fernley Raceway Death Valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIBLnoB4ctQ

gt6cc1_by_vspectra-d9bxrdd.gif

paskowitz

Not sure if this was posted.

You've got some great properties that would be a great fit for VR too. I'm thinking something like Gran Turismo. Would that make sense?

Shuhei Yoshida: Many trial tests we've been doing, some genres just work fine. One of those genres is racing games. So when Gran Turismo comes out on PS4, I'd like to see it support PlayStation VR, yeah.

Bluenova

Neo Member
This update, this follow through, GT6 is my favorite racing game again. PD also seems to have a strategy and really have earned some respect and optimism from me, that they have their priorities figured out going on to 'next gen' lol. The app is simple and is quite well designed because its non linear editing, you can jump into curbs and decorations anytime. Haven't found it to 'break'.

Try out my track called Desertstraights, if it can be found. I found it a lot of fun to race other Super GT cars on it. Its a high speed track too.

side note anyone have issues uploading 2nd track?

benzy

Not sure if this was posted.

You've got some great properties that would be a great fit for VR too. I'm thinking something like Gran Turismo. Would that make sense?

Shuhei Yoshida: Many trial tests we've been doing, some genres just work fine. One of those genres is racing games. So when Gran Turismo comes out on PS4, I'd like to see it support PlayStation VR, yeah.

Kaz hinted at Morpheus support a while ago in his reddit. Shu is basically just throwing more hints without officially making an announcement. :) If PlaystationVR is really going to be $300-400 then they really need some big titles that aren't some tech demo to pull people in. None of the other VR games I've seen makes me want to go out and get one.

Kaz said:
So regarding the next generation PS4 and beyond, there's always ongoing research going forward at Polyphony Digital and Sony. There might be some technologies that may change the world and until recently I was thinking that video games might reach a saturation point but I found out that there's much more to come and much more to look forward to in terms of technology of the future -- not that I can discuss any details right now.

Can't even access the course creator myself. I have a windows phone and all android emulators I've tried give me the same 'hardware does not support this application' error. I think it's something to do with my processor I'm not sure.

So far only GT5 had an unsually long development cycle...

GT4 was a year and a half late, and that was the second game on its console, not the first.

Same with GT6 DLC. Tons of stuff was promised like the Course Maker (and monthly DLC IIRC) that either has never been seen or took forever to come out. It seems that PD thinks slow and steady wins the race.

MGR

There's something fishy going on with this course maker. This is the minimum I would've expected had it launched with the game back in 2013. In fact, it looks like PD have gone out of their way to make it impossible to replicate anything from 'real life'. Why would you tout the fact you can import KML / GPX data but then provide a tool set that makes it impossible to replicate a track using that data?

Now let’s assume some of these are technical challenges and therefore impossible to implement. For example; GPX data is too complex to render, so the track must be manually drawn; Elevations are too difficult to manage, so the topography is fixed; bumps are too difficult to implement so the road must glass smooth…

Given these limitations it’s going to be very difficult to replicate another track. But these are at least plausible. What I can’t understand is;
- Why is only one theme available to import GPX/KML or an image to work from?
- Why is the start/finish straight locked at the beginning of the track creation process? Why can’t we select a different straight once we’ve create a track? (or in the case of Eifel Flat, move the whole track around.
- Why is 25M the smallest radius permitted for a corner?
- Why is Eifel Flat not actually flat?
- Why is the main straight a minimum of 600M?

Let’s say I want to create Queensland Raceway.

Queensland%20Raceway%20Aerial.jpg

One of the most uninspired, simple, boring track designs of the late 1990’s. Featureless terrain, no sharp or right angle corners. Should be perfect for the GT6 course maker.

> So first I want to select a theme. Death Valley right?
> Nope. Flat green Eifel scenery or nothing. OK then, at least it’s flat.
> Try to pinch zoom/rotate the track image to fit the main straight.
> QR main straight is only 520M.
> S---! Ok, I’ll use the back straight for the start/finish line.
> Try to create first corner. Corner scenery area fouls scenery from 600M mandatory main straight.
> Try to select ‘Decrease radius’. You have to create a corner first using large radius.
> Create large radius corner pointed away from main straight. Select decrease radius.
> Spend next 15 minutes trying to adjust corner radius and direction to match track.
> Create straight track section to next corner. Scenery area fouls main straight scenery next to it.
> Create straight section pointed away from straight. Select decrease radius.
> Re-adjust straight section. Still fouls main straight scenery area.
> Rage quit.
> After coming to terms with the fact your track won’t be very accurate you reload course maker.
> The track image you imported and saved for some reason now doesn’t line up with the track you started creating.
> Rage quit.
> Reload track again and try to re-import the track image to line up with not only the main straight, but the other corners you already started.
> Eventually reach the view of “F--- this s---!” and start brand new track again.
> Build a track from start to finish that sort of looks like Queensland raceway layout.
> Add track bumps
Just kidding
> Adjust track camber for each sector
Just kidding again. That was only available in GT5
> Save track and send to server.
> Your sort of nearly accurate dusty Queensland Raceway based in the rolling Eifel greens loads like freaking magic. Time for a test drive.
> Track has undulations all over it. Apparently this part of ‘Eifel Flat’ isn’t actually flat.
> Reload track in editor.
> Attempt to move track to another section of map in trial and error process to find flatter terrain.
> Track is locked and cannot be moved.
> You have been defeated.
>
rz5CHtp.jpg

benzy

- Why is Eifel Flat not actually flat?

> Track has undulations all over it. Apparently this part of ‘Eifel Flat’ isn’t actually flat.

I believe Eifel flat is actually all flat. How many anchors are you putting down? The more anchors you place close to one another will create little hills/road undulations. Try spreading them out as far apart as you can when creating flat tracks. Maybe go back and delete some.

MGR

I believe Eifel flat is actually all flat. How many anchors are you putting down? The more anchors you place close to one another will create little hills/road undulations. Try spreading them out as far apart as you can when creating flat tracks. Maybe go back and delete some.

Interesting.

I tried to go back and remove some but the track background image has moved so I'd have to re-create from scratch.

*edit*

According to this thread
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ing-bump-jump-maps-op-updated-10-3-15.335108/
having long sections between anchor points smooths out the terrain. More anchor points, more bumps. Or at least that's the theory.

magawolaz

Interesting.

I tried to go back and remove some but the track background image has moved so I'd have to re-create from scratch.
You can replace the background image, the same way you placed it the first time! You'll probably have to scale/rotate it again though, but with the track already there should be easier.
Anyway .gpx is the way to go if you are trying to make a real life circuit.

ShamePain

Banned
So far only GT5 had an unsually long development cycle...

GT5 was also their last proper new game, Gt6 is more of an elaborate DLC packed as a full game, couple new tracks, couple new cars. When your biggest new feature is usable menus you know shit ain't right.

offshore

I can't be bothered trawling the GTP forums like I used to, lol, but are we any closer to understanding what the reason for the delay was, given Famine/Jordan were alluding to this mysterious reason?

In any case, I'm totally underwhelmed by CM. Notwithstanding the fact that I don't have a tablet, I don't get why they couldn't elaborate on what was decent start with GT5's CM and add more options... weren't they saying on GTP that the reason for the delay wasn't technical?

sigh. We're never gonna get a CM that can hold a candle to that in V-Rally 2, are we? lol.

are we any closer to understanding what the reason for the delay was, given Famine/Jordan were alluding to this mysterious reason?
Lol.

Famine: "I have not received any further clues."

What a cop out.

The only good reason I can think of for us getting a mobile app instead of an in game course maker is compatibility with all current and future Sony racing games (Kaz did say they were working with other game companies) - that Ps4 logo in the app? Track Path Editor 1.1 is coming to Driveclub as part of its big update this month.

benzy

According to this thread
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ing-bump-jump-maps-op-updated-10-3-15.335108/
having long sections between anchor points smooths out the terrain. More anchor points, more bumps. Or at least that's the theory.

Yeah, that's been consistent with the tracks I've made.

In any case, I'm totally underwhelmed by CM. Notwithstanding the fact that I don't have a tablet, I don't get why they couldn't elaborate on what was decent start with GT5's CM and add more options...

GT5's CM was based on an auto-generation algorithm. They probably had to rewrite the whole thing in order for us to lay down our own roads/paths and have the world geometry adjust with it. This is much more preferable to GT5's imo, they just have to build up on it now instead of starting over (and include the damn thing in the game instead of tablet only).

It seems the lack of being able to create sharp/right-hand turns is due to the roadside objects you're able to place down. The road tool in the editor is wider than the actual road width since it includes roadside areas for you to place down objects like trees/grass/stands. It'd be ideal if they completely removed that part so all we're laying down is the actual road, and then let us place environment objects in areas surrounding the pavement.

If they do let us lay down tracks in the city of Andalusia for GT7, I don't see them letting us adjust elevations again; it'd completely screw up the buildings' geometry if we were able to. They should give us a clean slate environment, and let us create our own terrain.

Yiazmat

What they should do for Course Maker 3.0 is procedurally generate the terrain to fit the layout we make. (instead of recreating a real life environment and placing the track on top of it like they're doing now)

That way there would be no restriction to changing the elevation, no terrain borders to worry about, the environments would always look different and the track wouldn't be completely disconnected from the terrain.

They could even keep the two methods if they wanted. (real life environments and procedurally generated ones)

Mobius 1

I thought I'd reply to the questions "why do you think PD had constraints" to work with. It's not just because of the console – although that is patently obvious and one of them, but accounted for. I'm not out to defend Polyphony, as I'm not in the payroll. They're perfectly capable of screwing up, and have done so many times.

So, from the point of view from a completely ignorant observer and full of assumptions, here is what I think:

- PD decided to defer the development of the Course Maker in order to get GT6 out of the door on time, making it a DLC package.

- They must have had not have the iOS/Android development talent in house, or not enough, which caused a delay in developing the mobile apps.

- The Vision GT project ended up getting more traction than expected, and needed more resources invested into it. That surely must be a priority for them, as establishing those relationships with the industry is a tremendous achievement.

- With all this, the PS4 was already about to go to market. Since Cerny insisted that the PS4 was built with developer input – and PD being the premier 1st party Sony dev – an amount of resources at PD must have been dedicated to development of the next-gen engine for GT7 well in advance. Perhaps at some point Kaz made a decision to switch development en masse to PS4, where they can make the most gains (remember how quickly other studios were getting engines up and running), and sunset the PS3 effort. That's why I think caused the Course Maker to have it's scope scaled back to what it is now. It fulfills the promise to GT6 owners, but serves as a beta test for GT7's (hopefully) more feature rich version. They must have run out of reasons to justify continued development on PS3, or started to receive pressure from Sony WWS leadership to move on, because it would further delay the PS4 title.

Polyphony is a relatively small, boutique developer and could not deal with all this. Are they to be blamed for poor project and resources management? I don't know. There is absolutely no way for us to know from outside. It is certainly poor form to promise features and not deliver them. Those disappointed that every reason to be.

On the other hand, would I prefer that Polyphony Digital swelled up quickly in order to deliver all these things? Absolutely not. I firmly believe that their obsessive attention to detail to and their ability to convey sheer passion for the automobile is enabled by a small and focused team of individuals. That could be lost if the studio became a large operation.

So, I don't think it was simply a technical problem or limitation with the PS3. It was the changing landscape of mobile development, console generation transitions and market forces.

I work with software development teams and what I attempted to describe happens every day, in almost every project. It's a constant game of compromise, priorities and resource management.

Feel free to throw those tomatoes now.

I love how people have been waiting for course maker for 2 years and then the discussion died in 2 days.

Mobile app exclusive and the dumb way you have to save and play has killed it.

Hopefully changes are made with 1.22. I want USB import / export with no limit on tracks saved, offline play.

Where is the track data saved when emulating on PC?

benzy

My game freezes after playing the CM tracks and trying to exit to the main menu now. Only happens on CM tracks.

magawolaz

In the Andalucia theme they mark some areas as "forests, "mountains" and "cities". But the forests are a single row of trees, the mountains are 10 feet tall and the cities have two houses.

What happened to this:

iEy0qpI.jpg

Wh39R3h.jpg
Thinking about this again, it just looks like the alleys in the phototravel location Ronda: there's no guardrails, kerbs or other things suggesting it's a "track".

They did the same thing in GT5 pre-release. Can't find the original screen, but there's this from the Photomode thread:
photothread5new.JPG

but back then we tought they would let us drive a around in those locations.

There have been almost a dozen now.

[...]

Nissan:
they updated it for Tokyo Motor Show! now it has interiors:
https://www.gtplanet.net/nissan-to-bring-updated-vision-gt-car-to-tokyo-motor-show/

Pophead

strings.xml, an interesting file that is found within the track path editor app.

a file that contains a whole bunch of error strings that refer to the ps4

even more ps4 hints in public.xml and the whole icon folder which wax found previously

contents of strings.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
<string name="app_name">Track Path Editor</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_app_close_and_start_again">Another user is using the same application. The application will be closed and you will start it from the beginning.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_cancel_vb">Cancel</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_close_following_application">The following application will close:</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_close_following_application_plural">The following applications will close:</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_close_vb">Close</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_app_starting">Starting application&#8230;</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_connect_to">Connect to</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_connected">Connected</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_connecting">Connecting&#8230;</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_close_gamecomp">Close the other app connected to the PS4 and try again.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_close_syscomp">"Cannot connect to the PS4.
Close [PlayStation®App] and try again."</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_connection_timeout">Cannot connect to the PS4 within the time limit.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_could_not_login">Cannot log in to the PS4.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_could_not_start">Cannot start the application.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_disconnected">The connection to the PS4 has been lost.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_need_system_update">You must update the system software of the PS4.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_need_this_app">You must update this app.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_no_network_connection">The PS4 is not connected to the Internet.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_other_user_using">Another user is operating the PS4.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_error_wrong_number_entered">The number is not correct.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_not_found">No PS4 found.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_osk_info">When prompted to enter text on the PS4, you can use this screen.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_register_device_first">"Start by adding this device to the PlayStation®4 system.
On the PS4, select [Settings] > [PlayStation®App Connection Settings] > [Add Device]."</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_rest">In Rest Mode</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_comp_running">Powered On</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_enter_pin_code_on_ps4">Enter the number that is displayed on the PS4 screen.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_comp_not_signed_in_ps4">"Cannot connect to the PS4.
On the PS4, sign in to PlayStation&#8482;Network using your Sony Entertainment Network account."</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_invalid_character">An invalid character has been entered.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_network_connection">Cannot connect to the network.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_occurred">An error has occurred.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_psn_closed">PlayStation&#8482;Network is no longer available.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_psn_maintenance">PlayStation&#8482;Network is currently undergoing maintenance.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_register_device_over">"Cannot add the device.
Only %1$s devices can be added."</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_error_while_network_connection">The network connection has been lost.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_login_enter_passcode_instruction">Enter the passcode to log in to the PS4.</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_login_error_maximum_user_logon">"Cannot log in to the PS4.
Only 4 users can be logged in to the PS4 at the same time."</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_ok">OK</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_osk_enter">Done</string>
<string name="com_playstation_companionutil_msg_osk_go">Go</string>
<string

Double H

strings.xml, an interesting file that is found within the track path editor app.
Nothing special I'm afraid :/. All part of a Sony library used so apps can pair with a PS4. The PS4 icon Wax found was sourced from the same place.

EDIT: Now I'm on the same wave length. Why include a PS4 library if the app is just for PS3/GT6.

Likely answer, it's included by default as part of a standard Sony app development framework.

Pophead

Nothing special I'm afraid :/. All part of a Sony library used so apps can pair with a PS4. The PS4 icon Wax found was sourced from the same place.

EDIT: Now I'm on the same wave length. Why include a PS4 library if the app is just for PS3/GT6.

Likely answer, it's included by default as part of a standard Sony app development framework.

or the fact that the app will be used in GT7 - why spend all this time creating a universal app for only one game?
no way did pd take all this time to create what is an adaptable asset and limit it to only gt6
give the app a couple of updates and voila, gt7 track editor

edit: seems like the code is referring to the playstation companion app that's used for the ps4, the track path editor potentially being a plugin to the app
or is the track path app using part of the base code from the ps4 companion app and the devs forgot to delete any ps4 leftover files? gosh i have no clue
the only reason i thought of the second conclusion is both the track path app and ps4 companion app share similar code, although saying that why would there be 'ps4' in code for in house plugins for a ps3 game, idk im very confused

With all these PS4 references in the coding, I'm hoping for a complete game on initial release. Wouldn't that be refreshing after what we've been through with 5 & 6? I always preorder GT and would like to finally have more than a demo on day one.

Yiazmat

Polyphony can't even keep up with modeling all the relevant modern cars or upgrading the classic standard ones and you guys want them to start adding bikes as well?

Yt6ldM7.gif

Latest seasonals have PD using the CM for the expert race. It beats an overused repeat course like the ring, but it's not got good flow IMO.

IOM without bikes is going to be a major fail though.

My thoughts exactly Benzy!

If Isle of Man is 100% confirmed then there is 99% chance of bikes imho.

Omaer

Banned
I ordered GT6 on the 18th. IT should be coming by the 26th. The CM I have heard has been improved from GT5. Also is it true that you can upload your data from your gps to make your own custom track layout in the game?

I ordered GT6 on the 18th. IT should be coming by the 26th. The CM I have heard has been improved from GT5. Also is it true that you can upload your data from your gps to make your own custom track layout in the game?

I hope you enjoy the game, I've more than got my monies worth. As far as the CM is concerned, it's a matter of opinion. To make a course you need a separate tablet and take steps to save and transfer to your PS3 save file. The "GPS" ability to drive and make a real life track or route was either greatly exaggerated or misunderstood in translation. It's not possible at this time.

GT Sport is real.

Being a more motorsports focused game, and I'm sold.

Sorry for doubt you, Kaz.

Beta testing! WELL DONE, Poliphony.

Almost unbeliavable.

Jilt

GT Sports, hmmmm....

Seeing is believing. The competition is killing, so they really have to deliver!
It has to be spot, or it bursts the magic bubble....

Top Bottom