• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

This was the original sketch for the Bertone

bertone-vision-gran-t1yux4.jpg

Holy shit this shall give me my Wipeout fix lol.

malyce

Yeah, western influence is doing great things on west. Sometimes I wonder are you (not you personaly Malyce, but majority of people that voice such opinion) delusional or deliberately ignorant. Can I have an example of some recent "western influenced ideal racer" from the console space?

I know only one and that one is not what many of you think it is and it is not even close to GT-series offerings in any aspects beyond some (only some) parts of the career execution.

Career mode in GT has been dull since GT2. Unimaginative as fuck. You want an example of how to do a great single player campaign? See TOCA race driver 2 PSP. They clearly have no idea how to make the damn thing interesting. They're also all over the place with the licenses: Mandatory for Prologue(Online), Not mandatory for GT5, Mandatory for GT6. WRC License? Nada. Nascar License? Nada. Same old formula, start with a shit car, work your way up to a decent one and grind your way to the exotics.

Function>form every time. Ever notice how quick it is to hop into a COD game? An intro that can be skipped with the press of a button, and BAM you're at the main menu. Why does it take me 20+ seconds to purchase a car? Why should I have to sit through the stupid animation EVERY single time I purchase a new car? Why isn't there an option to turn these things off? Why can't I purchase multiple cars at once a la shopping cart style?

Why is it that the only distance related info I get when racing is the time between myself and the 1st place car/driver? If I'm in 10th, how does that help me? Why am I able to draft from a mile away? Why is there no need to modulate the throttle on launch? Does PD own 49% of Dyson?

Nah, none of the above matters. You know what matters? Racing suits, helmets, paint chips, B-Spec Bobs and moon driving. At this rate we'll probably be piloting nuclear subs in GT7 before any of the above issues are sorted out. I've been playing GT since I was 11 back in '98. I love the series to death, but lets not act like PD is without flaws.

prarts

I`m basically turning my PS3 into GT6 box (sent it for cleaning and thermal paste refresh today) and thinking about getting small cheap 60GB SSD for it (like Kingston v300), especially because I went for digital version.
There won`t be much space left for all those PSPlus "freebies" but I won`t have so much of a free gaming time for them anyway, so...
<firstworlddecisions>

Juicy Bob

I so want to take part in some online racing / SuperGTage, but there's no way I will be able to afford GT6 until at least after Christmas.

JamboGT

I want to play it, but given all of the cars in GT5 appear in 6 it would have been nice not to have to buy them all again. Think I have around 700 cars in GT5. That took a long time!

True, I just think having all the cars would be game breaking from me, going to stay away from the anniversary cars out of arcade and online as well!

amar212

Career mode in GT has been dull since GT2. Unimaginative as fuck. You want an example of how to do a great single player campaign? See TOCA race driver 2 PSP.

Nah, none of the above matters. You know what matters? Racing suits, helmets, paint chips, B-Spec Bobs and moon driving. At this rate we'll probably be piloting nuclear subs in GT7 before any of the above issues are sorted out. I've been playing GT since I was 11 back in '98. I love the series to death, but lets not act like PD is without flaws.

Well, the success of the TOCA series approach - especially after Race Driver games - was so stellar that Codemasters allowed Gavin Raeburn to make GRID game in order to at least get some sales.. We all know how that went out.

Sorry Malyce, but you maybe have an idea how to make a game interesting for yourself, but all experiments out-there shows out what happens when subjective likings are brought to the mass market.

TOCA Race Driver 3 was my favorite touring-game of a generation, much better than TRD 2 - I played both on PS2 with whels and such - but it was also the lowest selling one. Care to imagine why? And it had 72 licensed world tracks, all major touring series licensed (WTC, DTM, V8S), daytime options for tracks, wet racing (IIRC), FFB wheel support, online racing, simulation mode, cockpit view, mechanical damage, flags, you name it - it had it.

But NOBODY BOUGHT IT.

And yes, I will forever trade the approach of the GT series with its "dull" and "unimaginative" approach (I quoted your words, that does not mean I agree BTW) if that means better sales and option for me to have serious racing with my friends in GT online modes where I can adjust level of "hardcore" to my linking and drive GT like it is some "mad skillz bro" PC simulation.

You seem to not understand what it actually means to make game attractive from a commercial stand of view - which is THE PARAMOUNT for the game successfully. Everything else comes on top of it. It is the FIRST RULE of solving the PARADOX POINT which you seem to does not think about, which is nice, but you can also think about contextualizing your opinions before going into open discussion.

F355 Challenge game is my favorite driving game of all times. I have massive respect for what Enthusia team done with Enthusia Professional Racing. Mad props for Codemasters trying the impossible with TRD games. SEGA reached their design peak with SEGA GT2002 game. System 3 delivered stunning recreation of Ferrari Challenge world with the Ferrari Challenge game. Slightly Mad Studios conceived a flawed-miracle with bugs-ridden but highly enjoyable Ferrari: Racing Legends.

What all those games have in common? Nobody bought them. I mean, somebody did, but actually nobody did - TRD series was the only that actually survived for some time, but once the sales plummeted to the oblivion of CTR ratio, TRD was dead as well.

But yeah, I understand your point. I fully do. But I really think PD is doing their job well. Not to our likings regarding career mode, but if we can have everything else from GT game and such career mode is assurance of preservance of the GT-series.. yeah, they are without flaws.

Kiraly

Any experiences with the Thrustmaster T100? Does have FFB, and is a bit cheaper than a DFGT. Only there is not a single thing to be found on the internet on it.

JamboGT

I like the new menus, they are clear and seem quick. I know some of my friends will be happy to have recommended cars as well!

Ted

But yeah, I understand your point. I fully do. But I really think PD is doing their job well. Not to our likings regarding career mode, but if we can have everything else from GT game and such career mode is assurance of preservance of the GT-series.. yeah, they are without flaws.

Really interesting post amar, thanks for writing that.

Going even further, I love seeing the popularity of the series allowing GT/Polyphony/Sony to use the influence and money garnered from such a high selling franchise to further the cause of motor-sport generally and even more-so, provide a genuine route for grass-roots drivers to get a foot in the door of the sport.

For me the fabulous sand-box online lobby system negates much of the criticism of career mode but I do understand why people want a more distinct "game" from A-Spec and really do think PD can step up in this area without disenfranchising either core GT fans, core gamers or casual gamers. It just needs a little more thought and a few more options in A-Spec (arcade-esque AI settings, ability to lengthen races etc for example).

That said, I think for most gamers GT will always be a divisive series (as a Brit I would call it a "Marmite" game) because it simply doesn't even attempt to be "like other racing games" or in some cases even be "like a racing game" at all, it's not Forza, it's not rFactor, it's not i-Racing, it's not GRID..... it's Gran Turismo.

Love it, like it, hate it.... it is, and will remain, Gran Turismo, warts and all.

Dead Man

Well, the success of the TOCA series approach - especially after Race Driver games - was so stellar that Codemasters allowed Gavin Raeburn to make GRID game in order to at least get some sales.. We all know how that went out.

Sorry Malyce, but you maybe have an idea how to make a game interesting for yourself, but all experiments out-there shows out what happens when subjective likings are brought to the mass market.

TOCA Race Driver 3 was my favorite touring-game of a generation, much better than TRD 2 - I played both on PS2 with whels and such - but it was also the lowest selling one. Care to imagine why? And it had 72 licensed world tracks, all major touring series licensed (WTC, DTM, V8S), daytime options for tracks, wet racing (IIRC), FFB wheel support, online racing, simulation mode, cockpit view, mechanical damage, flags, you name it - it had it.

But NOBODY BOUGHT IT.

And yes, I will forever trade the approach of the GT series with its "dull" and "unimaginative" approach (I quoted your words, that does not mean I agree BTW) if that means better sales and option for me to have serious racing with my friends in GT online modes where I can adjust level of "hardcore" to my linking and drive GT like it is some "mad skillz bro" PC simulation.

You seem to not understand what it actually means to make game attractive from a commercial stand of view - which is THE PARAMOUNT for the game successfully. Everything else comes on top of it. It is the FIRST RULE of solving the PARADOX POINT which you seem to does not think about, which is nice, but you can also think about contextualizing your opinions before going into open discussion.

F355 Challenge game is my favorite driving game of all times. I have massive respect for what Enthusia team done with Enthusia Professional Racing. Mad props for Codemasters trying the impossible with TRD games. SEGA reached their design peak with SEGA GT2002 game. System 3 delivered stunning recreation of Ferrari Challenge world with the Ferrari Challenge game. Slightly Mad Studios conceived a flawed-miracle with bugs-ridden but highly enjoyable Ferrari: Racing Legends.

What all those games have in common? Nobody bought them. I mean, somebody did, but actually nobody did - TRD series was the only that actually survived for some time, but once the sales plummeted to the oblivion of CTR ratio, TRD was dead as well.

Regarding TOCA 3 what they needed was resources and direction to continue the series. What they needed was American sales. Chasing that they went and made Grid. There was nothing unappealing about the games, they were just not big in America.

Just because one approach is the most popular, doesn't make it the only one. And don't go crying when in 15 years time there are no more car games since they sell less than COD19.

PD may be making money, but they are pretty crap at actually making a quality game. If all you want is physics, graphics, and MP, you are set. Some people want a bit more. PD is lucky to have the market mostly to itself these days. If you don't buy GT, what are your other options on consoles? Forza. And?

So yeah, they sell. Big fucking deal. They are still stagnant, poorly designed games that happen to have a lot of technical polish in about half the areas that matter.

Megasoum

Banned
TOCA 3 What they needed was resources and direction to continue the series. What they needed was American sales. Chasing that they went and made Grid. There was nothing unappealing about the games, they were just not big in America.

Just because one approach is the most popular, doesn't make it the only one. And don't go crying when in 15 years time there are no more car games since they sell less than COD19.

PD may be making money, but they are pretty crap at actually making a quality game. If all you want is physics, graphics, and MP, you are set. Some people want a bit more. PD is lucky to have the market mostly to itself these days. If you don't buy GT, what are your other options on consoles? Forza. And?

So yeah, they sell. Big fucking deal. They are still stagnant, poorly designed games that happen to have a lot of technical polish in about half the areas that matter.

Agree 100%

JamboGT

I don't get whats wrong with PD progression makes sense, look at this list of events:

Novice

Sunday Cup

Requirements
PP-430 or less
Tyres: Sports Hard

Tracks
1-High Speed Ring
2-Autumn Ring-Mini

Amateur Cup

Requirements
PP-450 or less
Tyres: Sports Hard

Tracks
1-Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
2-Grand Valley East
3-Willow Springs International Raceway:Big Willow

Novice Championship

Requirements
PP-450
Tyres:Sports Hard

Tracks
Championship
1-Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
2-Autumn Ring
3-Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit

Coffee Break Challange

1-Cone Challenge Trial 1

National B Licence
B1 Mito 1.4 T Sport 09-Special Stage Route X
B2 Demio Sport 10-Apricot Hill Raceway
B3 Megane RS-Silverstone
B4 Focus ST-Twin Ring Motegi
B5 RCZ 10-London

NATIONAL B

400PP Clubman Cup

Requirements
PP-500

Tracks
1-Silverstone National Circuit
2-Circuito Di Roma
3-Autumn Ring

City Trials

Requirements
PP-550

Tracks
1-Circuito De Madrid
2-Tokyo R246
3-London

5 Minute Races

Requirements
PP-500

Tracks
1-Autumn Ring-mini
2-Tsukuba Circuit
3-Circuito Di Roma

Sunday Kart Jr.

Requirements
PP-Racing Kart Jr
Tyres:Racing Kart Jr

Tracks
1-Gran Turismo Arena (A)
2-Autumn Ring-Mini
3-Kart SpaceII

FF Challenge

Requirements
PP-550
FF Car Required

Tracks
1-Tsukuba Circuit
2-Deep Forest Raceway
3-Twin Ring Moteregi East

FR Challenge

Requirements
PP-580
FR Car Required

Tracks
1-Grand Valley East
2-Trial Mountain Circuit
3-Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit

Japanese 90's Challenge

Requirements
PP-540
Japanese 1990s

Tracks
1-Special Route 5 Clubman
2-Twin Ring Motegi East
3-Tokyo r246

Classic Sportscar Series

Requirements
PP-530
Tyres:Sports hard
!979 or Earlier

Tracks
1-Circuito De Madrid Mini
2-Circuito Di Roma
3-Silverstone Grand Prix

GT Compact Car Championship

Requirements
PP-450
4200mm or less
Tracks
1-Autumn Ring Mini Reverse
2-Cape Ring Inside
3-Suzuka Circuit East

Mission Races
1- Mission Race B-1
Nissan March 12SR 07
Tsukuba Circuit

2- Mission Race B-2
Integra Type R DC5
Trial Mountain Circuit

3-Mission Race B-3
Europa Special
London

4-Mission Race B-4
XKR Coupe
Mount Panaroma

5-Mission Race B-5
GT-R Black Edition
Silverstone Grand Prix

Coffee Break

Eco Challenge
GT-R N24 GT Academy
Who can travel furthest in two minutes with litre of fuel

Cone Challenge Trial 2
Elise 11

One Make Races

Prius Cup

86 & BRZ Festival

L&#305;cence National A
A1 Mustang Boss 302 13-Apricot Hill
A2 Elise 11-Brands Hatch
A3 Civic Type R 08- Spa Francorchamps
A4 BRZ S- Twin Ring Motegi
A5 Roadster Touring Car- Apricot Hill

Spoiler tags for those that don't want the progression ruined for them.

Each step is an obvious one in helping the player to learn car control, licences are mixed in and there are the coffee breaks to mix things up, its a natural progression and am not sure what other way people would rather it be done.

At the same time, for those who want to jump straight in to the more powerful cars there is arcade mode.

Constructively, what singleplayer design would you prefer?

I think if anything PD are too open with what cars they allow the player to enter the race, i would probably be more strict on PP and car type myself.

Solal

Malyce-> You should not even bother man.

GT5 trophy list shows that only 25% of players finished the Beginner champ (!!!!)...75% gave up on the career mode after what? Not even 2 hours?!

Seriously: you are just wasting your time mate. It's beyond sense.

Edit: i erased the part that was not nice to Gt fans. Sorry about that.

Dead Man

I don't get whats wrong with PD progression makes sense, look at this list of events:

Constructively, what singleplayer design would you prefer?

I think if anything PD are too open with what cars they allow the player to enter the race, i would probably be more strict on PP and car type myself.

It's not just career progression, but even that list does nothing but to say there are a lot of events. I would like the races to be motorsport races, not greyhound races chasing a bloody rabbit. I would like the presentation of the game to be more consistent. Oil changes increase HP? But no, they are a serious sim, right? I would like them to fix the things that are busted before creating lunar modes and photo locations and going bloody racing. Sound still being shit is pathetic. Simply pathetic. Some of you may forgive them, and others may not notice, but it is utterly pathetic that sound is still shite.

I had massive hopes for this game, I loved 1-4. 5 was a kick in the guts, and this is just rubbing salt into the wounds. Yay, they made a pretty piece of software to make pictures of cars. Yay, they made a game where people can race online with crappy collision physics and crappy mechanical damage implementation. Woo. Geoff Crammond had better mechanical damage in 1996.

And yeah, I'm bitter. It could have been an amazing game. Instead it is GT5 with faster menus, some more polish on the graphics, and the moon.

Again, sorry for the rant, I have no ill will towards those that enjoy the current work, I am just angry that PD don't have higher standards in more areas of game creation.

Solal

Regarding TOCA 3 what they needed was resources and direction to continue the series. What they needed was American sales. Chasing that they went and made Grid. There was nothing unappealing about the games, they were just not big in America.

Well said.

amar212

Well, tell that to all Americans that didn't buy TOCA and TRD games, tell that to all those that ignored "other approaches". I am buying all racing games worth buying and I am personally supporting all I can - even those I even can't play because I do not have hardware (PC games such as Assetto Corsa or pCARS which I bought/financed both).

I would completely approve GT with some "Professional" career mode where all races would have max-spec AI, full fields, double number of laps, qualifying, tire/fuel management, enabled penalties, mechanical damage, proper splits between cars you chase - all things that GT engine have and supports ATM in online modes. I would, honestly.

But how would such conception influence Average Joe and his view on game? How would Average Joe react if he would be completely alienated from some mode that is called "Professional"? How would that influence his stance towards game he bought? It is the Paradox Point of the driving genre. I wrote a damn essay on that subject years ago and I am still convinced my point stays. Average Joe does not want to be Average Joe. Period.

Now throw stupid things such as Trophies/Achievements into the picture - where everyone wants to get Platinum - and actually feels entitled to it because "he bought a game" - and on top of everything throw in the internet-culture reality where everyone can shit over anything as long as he has enough backers, and you have a problem. Serious problem.

I will give you my favorite example from GT5 - Seasonal Events. First few Seasonal Events (from December 2010) were magnificent. They were GODLY. They had strict restrictions in all fields (PP, HP, kg, tires..) and they were so damn challenging that it took days of driving and commitment to win them all (Mazda RX-7 on Tsukuba comes to mind, or Focus ST on Madrid for instance). You know what happened? All boards (GTP, PS forums, PS blogs, you name it) were flooded with complaints and screams how that events were "broken", "flawed", "impossible", "PD sucks", "PD incompetent", whatever. See the pattern?

I will say again - I am 100% voting for GT to have some Hard-Core Professional mode in the Career. As I said, GT engine currently supports EVERYTHING we could imagine to have within such design, from the very first, to the very last detail. But such mode would probably heavily influence the appeal of the game to its main public - casual players. And without appeal to casual players there are no sales. And without sales, there is no revenue. And without revenue, there are no games. The equation is damn simple.

Malyce-> You should not even bother man. GT Fans are the most obtuse and unimaginative gamers on Earth..

Please, tell me more, I want to know more.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sorry if this has already been answered, but what about Prize/Trophy/Reward Cars in GT6? Are there any cars to be won?

JamboGT

The sound is probably the most disappointing thing for me, the only small upside is that at least they recognise that it is an issue.

I don't know, GT5 had a lot of issues, but I still put a tonne of time into it, 6 seems to have fixed many of my problems whilst adding a lot of new content and adding to the online experience. Single player will take time to see how that is, how good the AI can be etc, standing starts do seem to feature as well as rolling starts so will see how many of them there are. AI will also take some time to decide on, though in my mind there is still no good AI in console racing, Forza and Grid are just as bad in different ways.

Then we have things like the track creator and the GPS stuff, that's really exciting to me personally and if it works its miles ahead of anything else out there. Physics are another thing that has to wait till I get my hands on the final game but from playing at eurogamer they are a good step up from GT Academy 2013.

Malyce-> You should not even bother man. GT Fans are the most obtuse and unimaginative gamers on Earth.

GT5 trophy list shows that only 25% of players finished the Beginner champ (!!!!)...75% gave up on the career mode after what? Not even 2 hours?!
But they will still say that it's the best gaming mechanics in the world.

Seriously: you are just wasting your time mate. It's beyond sense.

Solal, your trolling needs to stop. Give yourself some time off from shitting on every GT thread, state your opinion but don't resort to name calling. You did this same shit with GT5 and here you are again, just give it a rest man.

Dead Man

Well, tell that to all Americans that didn't buy TOCA and TRD games, tell that to all those that ignored "other approaches". I am buying all racing games worth buying and I am personally supporting all I can - even those I even can't play because I do not have hardware (PC games such as Assetto Corsa or pCARS which I bought/financed both).

I would completely approve GT with some "Professional" career mode where all races would have max-spec AI, full fields, double number of laps, qualifying, tire/fuel management, enabled penalties, mechanical damage, proper splits between cars you chase - all things that GT engine have and supports ATM in online modes. I would, honestly.

But how would such conception influence Average Joe and his view on game? How would Average Joe react if he would be completely alienated from some mode that is called "Professional"? How would that influence his stance towards game he bought? It is the Paradox Point of the driving genre. I wrote a damn essay on that subject years ago and I am still convinced my point stays. Average Joe does not want to be Average Joe. Period.

Now throw stupid things such as Trophies/Achievements into the picture - where everyone wants to get Platinum - and actually feels entitled to it because "he bought a game" - and on top of everything throw in the internet-culture reality where everyone can shit over anything as long as he has enough backers, and you have a problem. Serious problem.

I will give you my favorite example from GT5 - Seasonal Events. First few Seasonal Events (from December 2010) were magnificent. They were GODLY. They had strict restrictions in all fields (PP, HP, kg, tires..) and they were so damn challenging that it took days of driving and commitment to win them all (Mazda RX-7 on Tsukuba comes to mind, or Focus ST on Madrid for instance). You know what happened? All boards (GTP, PS forums, PS blogs, you name it) were flooded with complaints and screams how that events were "broken", "flawed", "impossible", "PD sucks", "PD incompetent", whatever. See the pattern?

I will say again - I am 100% voting for GT to have some Hard-Core Professional mode in the Career. As I said, GT engine currently supports EVERYTHING we could imagine to have within such design, from the very first, to the very last detail. But such mode would probably heavily influence the appeal of the game to its main public - casual players. And without appeal to casual players there are no sales. And without sales, there is no revenue. And without revenue, there are no games. The equation is damn simple.

Please, tell me more, I want to know more.

I think you are making it much more complicated and threatening than it needs to be. Lets look at your list of what think would be good. Most of it is things that would be good in the whole game, not a special professional mode. Those that would be intimidating could be toggled in each race if you wanted, just like SRF and ABS can be. Don't want fuel/tyre management? Turn it off. But PD should give players the ability.

It is not the whole game not being hardcore enough that bothers me, it is that the options and improvements are not even there.

Solal

I will say again - I am 100% voting for GT to have some Hard-Core Professional mode in the Career. As I said, GT engine currently supports EVERYTHING we could imagine to have within such design, from the very first, to the very last detail. But such mode would probably heavily influence the appeal of the game to its main public - casual players. And without appeal to casual players there are no sales. And without sales, there is no revenue. And without revenue, there are no games. Equation is damn simple.

Edited: Whatever.

Solal

Solal, your trolling needs to stop. Give yourself some time off from shitting on every GT thread, state your opinion but don't resort to name calling. You did this same shit with GT5 and here you are again, just give it a rest man.

You are right. I edited. Sorry about that.

abcvita2012

Neo Member
Are they a one time prize only (like in GT5) or you can win that car over and over again (like in GT3)?

Also:

I don't think you win a car for every tournament. Just for licenses golded and for milestones i.e earning half the stars of a career set or all the stars of a career set.

Top Bottom