• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Having spent some time playing Forza 5, this game just does not feel 'fun' or engaging to me at all.

Not sure if serious.

I played Forza 5 also - and it's difficult to express in mere words how much I dislike it. I will however, mention some of it's many glaring flaws: "Arcade-y" racing, unacceptably small selection of cars and tracks, uneven detail between vehicles, no night racing, no weather changes, no time of day changes, horrendous career mode and shoddy supplemental features.

It's Forza though, so I don't ever expect too much.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
I'm not press so I'm under no embargo ;) However I'm a massive GT5 fan and have played every weeks since it's launch 3 years ago. GT6 is significantly better than 5, the career mode gives you loads to do and so far I've bought only two cars but I have 7 in total from winning with all golds. The physics are amazing and the lighting is much better than GT5 however this has all come at a cost. Physically modelling tyre deformation and suspension as well as updated lighting and rendering techniques have hit the performance quite hard as has been noted by other in this thread.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks very much for replying!

Roll on 6pm tomorrow when I shall be home from work with the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Not sure if serious.

I played Forza 5 also - and it's difficult to express in mere words how much I dislike it. I will however, mention some of it's many glaring flaws: "Arcade-y" racing, unacceptably small selection of cars and tracks, uneven detail between vehicles, no night racing, no weather changes, no time of day changes, horrendous career mode and shoddy supplemental features.

It's Forza though, so I don't ever expect too much.
The worst think in the Forza driving physics for me is that you can drive without need to use the brakes... I played Forza 5 these days (just to see if they changed that) and I still can drive all the turns only unpressing the accelerator... I hate that.

The worst think in the Forza driving physics for me is that you can drive without need to use the brakes... I played it these days and I can drive all the turns only unpressing the accelerator... I hate that.

Ah! I forgot that one!

There are many more - I just didn't want to post a wall of text. ;)

Aeneas

Just got a mail from amazon with codes for 1 mil credits, torque pack, precision pack.

Yeah so pumped. Now just ship it ffs.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not press so I'm under no embargo ;) However I'm a massive GT5 fan and have played every weeks since it's launch 3 years ago. GT6 is significantly better than 5, the career mode gives you loads to do and so far I've bought only two cars but I have 7 in total from winning with all golds. The physics are amazing and the lighting is much better than GT5 however this has all come at a cost. Physically modelling tyre deformation and suspension as well as updated lighting and rendering techniques have hit the performance quite hard as has been noted by other in this thread.
Thanks.

Are you saying there are some performance issues? Maybe it is the case of GT5 too... they needed a lot of patches to increase the performance over the time... I think only after 2.0 it got 60fps solid in most races and today yet there some drops in tracks like Monza.

Yep, same here. I kind of expected some delay in it. I told myself "yeah right" when it said release day delivery but I had a $50 gift card so I was ok with it. We'll see though, I generally never buy games on day 1 so I can't see it being an issue in the future but I am interested to see if it works as advertised. Also, mine says delivery by 8pm as well.
My shipping status just changed to Shipping Now. Looks as though I will get it tomorrow.

dubc35

Just got a mail from amazon with codes for 1 mil credits, torque pack, precision pack.

Yeah so pumped. Now just ship it ffs.

Hmm, nothing from them yet for me. Although the status of the order is now "Shipping now." :)

edit, ^ ha, good timing!

There are races now with night time and rain I guess.

I was thinking based on the way his sentence is worded, that some events during the career mode will have a track that is always raining, or always at night [like each time you try them - they have a static weather/time of day]..

Kiraly

Yeah, there are certain races with fixed night (and presumably rain, haven't come across those yet). Haven't come across variable weather/time either (yet), but nevertheless.

Just had a race on Matterhorn (?), a gorgeous track by the way, which starts out late in the evening with a red glow over everything and ends in sheer darkness.

It was so fucking amazing, wow.

I need to revisit this race with the UI set to completely off (that is possible right?) and a wheel.

I was thinking based on the way his sentence is worded, that some events during the career mode will have a track that is always raining, or always at night [like each time you try them - they have a static weather/time of day]..

I love how night and rain are finally integrated in the career!

Kiraly we need answers! My guess is that they are static. I think not many races have lots of laps to drive that warrants constant time and weather change.

EDIT: nvm

Networker

Banned
I have so many games to play this holiday, and my window is pretty much packed until Feb when Infamous comes out. But if I have to squeeze in one game in between, that would be GT6.

I was hesitating to buy this on PS3 due to load times and shitty controller. But man the hype is getting to me, definitely grabbing this after my exams.

kanuuna

Snatched an Anniversary Edition copy today, seems most stores here in Finland are releasing the game today instead of over the weekend or first thing next week. Why not tomorrow you ask? Because it'll be indepence day, and everything's closed.

I've been playing the game for little over a hour now and I'm having a good time playing the game with a Dualshock 3 with tweaked controls. From the perspective of someone who isn't really deep into cars or sim racing; the game looks great, sounds good and feels right. The general interface also seems much more user friendly and faster to navigate than that of Gran Turismo 5, which I never really got into. I do hope to find some kind of a racing chair setup for my G27 I have hooked up on my PC, so I can put that thing in the living room and play GT the way it's meant to be played.

Nitpicks? Coming from playing quite a bit of Project Cars, I really wish BAC Mono had made it in this game.

nikos

I check this thread multiple times per day, trying to get hyped for this game, but I can't for some reason. Probably because next-gen squeezed all the hype out of me.

I still have the anniversary edition preordered and don't think I can pass it up. Despite having too many games to play at the moment, I don't think I can miss out on GT6. Even though I'm not hyped, I think I'm going to pick it up only because it's Gran Turismo and I don't believe I've ever missed a GT launch.

Is anyone else on the same boat?

dubc35

Snatched an Anniversary Edition copy today, seems most stores here in Finland are releasing the game today instead of over the weekend or first thing next week. Why not tomorrow you ask? Because it'll be indepence day, and everything's closed.

Happy Independence Day! Playing GT6 seems like a good way to spend it!

benzy

can anyone comment on the custom soundtrack implementation, is it the same as gt5 or have they modified it at all?

2013_11_29_0_36_43_zps3q1j.png

Curufinwe

Does setting the PS3's output to 720p improve performance?

I did that for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
The worst think in the Forza driving physics for me is that you can drive without need to use the brakes... I played Forza 5 these days (just to see if they changed that) and I still can drive all the turns only unpressing the accelerator... I hate that.

I think that's because of the assist in the game. You can turn all of them off, they make a significant difference in handling.

-Amon-

I'd like to ask a question about the driving mechanics.

In GT5 when driving without any kind of assist and using manual clutch with a wheel ( G27 with gate shifter for example ) you had to blip the trotthle when downshifting from second to first gear on RW cars.

Failing to do so caused the rear wheels to lock.

Only turnaround ( apart from using hell / toe tecnique, quite impossible to achieve with g27 pedals ) was to activate ABS.

Is the same thing happening in gt6 ?

Topsu

Banned
Damn damn damn! Didn't get the game today, and it won't be delivered tomorrow either thanks to it being independence day. So I only get to play this on Friday next week, the same day I will get my PS4. What's odd is I have a feeling I will rather play GT6 before PS4.

Kiraly

The Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision GT is a gift for every new player, I fucking love Gran Turismo for including all this concept shit.

It drives like a slower Bugatti Veyron. :D

nasanu

Banned
iRacing sub recently renewed, really don't like microtransactions.

Lol.. But you are ok with paying $99 each year for about 4 tracks and ONE car, then $11 PER CAR and $15 PER TRACK after that?

How can you possibly be against MT when you are ok with iRacing bleeding you dry for content that really should be free (and a physics model not quite up to par)?

Lol.. But you are ok with paying $99 each year for about 4 tracks and ONE car, then $11 PER CAR and $15 PER TRACK after that?

How can you possibly be against MT when you are ok with iRacing bleeding you dry for content that really should be free (and a physics model not quite up to par)?
iRacing's subscription service is quite a different business model to the microtransactions in both F5 and GT6.

nasanu

Banned
iRacing's subscription service is quite a different business model to the microtransactions in both F5 and GT6.

Yep it is VERY different. They both change about the same up front (GT6 is usually cheaper but sometimes iRacing has sales), but then iRacing not only give you almost no content for your money, they only let you race once an hour. Plus they will charge you full price again next year. And their DLC prices are insane.

I subscribe to iRacing myself, but I do it only because every other PC racer has a HORRIBLE online setup. The second there is a decent alternative I want iRacing to go bust.

nasanu

Banned
Some of you are hilarious. When GT offers the same level of competition/physics as iRacing let me know.

Lol you want to talk physics? What is the NTM up to now? Version 5 is it? How many times will they need to patch it?

The MX5 (and frankly most cars) till a few months ago was an undrivable mess. You had to keep the car as straight as possible or else it would just spin for seemingly no reason at all. There were masses of complaints on the form, with of course fanboys saying it was perfect and cars are very hard to dive that is why billions of people do not do it every single day...

Then of course they patched it taking away grip at lower speeds, adding it at high speeds and doing 'other improvements' which they would not discuss. But its still broken. Its still far too hard to catch spins for example. PC != automagically awesome sim, or does harder = better. PC sim racers need a wakeup call. They dont judge what they play, they read that race driver X said 'iRacing is da bomb' and they jizz, but they dont realise that iRacing is paying racers to market the game by playing it and talking about it.

Anyway.. off topic rant over :p

Next time you play Forza, go to the settings menu and turn off brake assist (and all the other assists that were most likely on when you played for that matter). Then you will get to properly experience the physics engine. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good the physics are. In my opinion, the tire modeling and sense of weight transfer are top notch. Particularly so as you start to exceed the limits of grip on the tires and play that delicate balance of trying not to wreck the car while still hitting that apex and accelerating out of the turn.

Top Bottom