• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

ironcreed

Banned
the light isn't reflecting off the opponent car in that gif. PS3 can only do so much

Still pretty damn impressive for the old PS3.

gt6-xbow-nightcgdkc.gif

Ted

Trying to subscribe with my eyes closed was hard...

Pre-order down, Friday off, mates lined up for some racing, it's going to be a bloody long week.

Solal

It is your guess. Not a fact. And grind was always in GT games, since the first GT. You can call it archaic, you may not like it, but impying they are doing something because you guess it is like that and not taking into account the series history is nothing but your own personal subjective guess.

It is my guess yes. At least i admit it. Not like you who declares that MT will not affect game progress when you have no clue.

I know how much you love GT... but pretending to not see where MT may lead us ?

here is another guess: the menu in GT5 were very slow because the game sent a lot of data everytime we touched a button.

So PD has a very accurate profile of every GT5 player... this is a great market research: very valuable data when you intend to put MT in place.

You really think they put MT in without wondering how they will make the most money out of it?

I may agree that MT are just for specific kinds of gamers (casual? rich? hardcore? ...but well: there are rich casual who have time..; and rich hardcore who don't... and broke hardcore gamers who have no choice... anyway: it's not the point): why would it make MT more acceptable?
Are we gonna just deny a problem because it may not affect us? I see myself as a hardcore Gt game: i am someone who loves to drive cars and enjoys reading and trying as many cars as possible (not a good pilot though), with no assists, with a 800€ wheel, a rig, I bought the collector edition of GT5, etc... but what if I lack time? What if I am fed up with grinding? Should I be punished by PD? Pay a fine just to make the most of the game i payed 60€ ? How can anyone agree on this?

Someone said that GT is about finishing all the races... I absolutly disagree on that: there is not one way of playing GT. You may love to do time trials all day long, online races, arcade races, get gold on all events, etc... why would you have to go through grinding to do that ?

Finally (at last) It seems they are going to sell GT cards... credits usable only with GT. Why is that ?Why not just money from your PSN account ? Just like any other game on PS3.

Looks weird and complicated to me... some -bad- shit is coming for GT7. (monthly subscription? f2p model?...) Just a guess though.

Anyway: I am surprised that GTfans prefere to debate about what song is used in the intro and don't seem that interested in the economic model of their favorite game.

This is the very reason why they can do that kind of shit.

here is another guess: the menu in GT5 were very slow because the game sent a lot of data everytime we touched a button.

So PD has a very accurate profile of every GT5 player... this is a great market research: very valuable data when you intend to put MT in place.

Are you for reals? o_O

Ding-Ding

Has there every been a GT thread, on any forum, where someone doesn't go on about how bad the sounds are?

Bloody hell. The constant whining is even worse than a BMW's racing cars transmission.

Has there every been a GT thread, on any forum, where someone doesn't go on about how bad the sounds are?

Bloody hell. The constant whining is even worse than a BMW's racing cars transmission.

They should really fix the sound though. It really can't be said enough until they make it better. It irritates us that it's not better.

They should really fix the sound though. It really can't be said enough until they make it better. It irritates us that it's not better.

They have they are working on it. They know its a problem theres no need to constantly repeat it. Sadly its not going to make them do it any faster.

Niks

This doesn't make any sense to me. They have all this money and development time... why can't they redo the sound engine? They've seen Forza and know it absolutely destroys them in this regard.. WHY CAN'T THEY FIX ITTTTTTTT

Its not a matter of "redoing" sounds. Its a matter of the PS3 not being powerful enough to handle proper sounds and all the fancy graphics... at least according to PD.

_machine

mal-what.gif

I just...can't...eh...probably better not bother even trying to bang some sense.

Just to be clear, yes MTs can absolutely be detracting to the experience, but every sign point to them not being that in GT6 and apart from the high price of the credits bought with real money they seem to be implemented moderately. MTs are coming whether you like it or not because game developers have data to show that they increase the retention rate of many games. As long as they do not clearly detract from the experience (all evidence shows that the implemention of MTs has not changed the game balance from GT5) like Forza 5's downgraded mechanics.

But what the hell, you're either trolling or made your mind so I'm not going to bother anymore.

The Stealth Fox

90% of the sounds are terrible. We all know this. This is the major flaw of the game. I feel like the "grunt" of the cars is hidden inside the digital noise or whatever.

It isn't going to make a sound patch come out any faster. Don't like it? Don't buy it until it's fixed.

benzy

Its not a matter of "redoing" sounds. Its a matter of the PS3 not being powerful enough to handle proper sounds and all the fancy graphics... at least according to PD.

Yeah, but then they went on and said they could possibly give us the new engine sounds in a patch.

It makes me wonder what their sound engineers have been doing for 3 years.

Solal

mal-what.gif

I just...can't...eh...probably better not bother even trying to bang some sense.

Just to be clear, yes MTs can absolutely be detracting to the experience, but every sign point to them not being that in GT6 and apart from the high price of the credits bought with real money they seem to be implemented moderately. MTs are coming whether you like it or not because game developers have data to show that they increase the retention rate of many games. As long as they do not clearly detract from the experience (all evidence shows that the implemention of MTs has not changed the game balance from GT5) like Forza 5's downgraded mechanics.

But what the hell, you're either trolling or made your mind so I'm not going to bother anymore.

I think you are mixing up DLC and Microtransactions.

Anyway... i'm out of this thread: I'll let you between smart people who enjoy being ripped off.

Have fun with GT6 though. Still great gaming moments ahead.

The Stealth Fox

Yeah, but then they went on and said they could possibly give us the new engine sounds in a patch.

It makes me wonder what their sound engineers have been doing for 3 years.

Being repurposed for star and constellation rotation.

That star and constellation vid is INCREDIBLE.

_machine

It's definitely plausible considering their rather "advanced" tech; sounds require a hefty bit of memory and computing power and given the way memory works in PS3 it's not unheard that they simply can't afford the memory for better sounds, but their core audio tech also is missing quite a bit of techniques that have become common in recent games.

Overall, it's probably sum of many parts and probably not an easy enough task to fix on PS3, but I'm optimistic about them sorting it out for GT7. Still most likely won't be the best of the bunch, but I'll take any improvements of the current one.

6 months from now: "well... yes... grinding is very long in GT6... but hey, it was already in GT5 wasn't it? That does not prove they changed anything to make room for MT"

My guess: I would be surprised if GT6's grinding was worse than GT5's...as GT5's almost discouraged 80% of players (number straight from my ass if you wonder) even before level 25.

When I look at my friends list in GT5, I see that most of them gave up even before level 20.

PD knows that: 80% of GT5 buyers did not like grinding... so they put MT.

Smart move... disgusting still.
Your anecdotal evidence means shit here.

synce

Nobody should be fine with microtransactions, even if you think they're implemented fine in GT6. Tell Sony this is not okay or it could get worse for GT7. Anyway I'm going to pass on GT6, hopefully they get everything right with the next one.

_machine

I think you are mixing up DLC and Microtransactions.
No, believe me, you'd surprised at the things I've heard about metrics from Microtransactions. Forza 5 screwed them hard, because they expected to bolt the model straight from F2P games with the added price factor from console games, but that's not the way you do it, because in the end only a small part of the userbase actually uses these features so screwing the 90% players over MT is like shooting yourself in the leg. As I said, despite the high price of the credits, all evidence is pointing out to PD not screwing those players not using MTs.

The Stealth Fox

I'm pretty sure polyphony/sony have received so many nasty e-mails over the sound issue since GT5. I'm pretty sure it's on their list.

Sound is the new damage. They said it is a "good possibility" it will come in a patch. I don't know what it means, but I'm sure if they don't end up releasing it for GT6, there WILL be a riot.

MTs are coming whether you like it or not ...
^^ How to tell when you're trying to justify that which shouldn't be justified. I've seen a lot of statements start out with similar words in the past year, and many of the those things being justified have been changed or reversed due to public outcry.

We don't need or want these time-saver microtransactions, and their inclusion in the game, regardless of how much they tuned the progression around them is a detriment to the game, since now the steepness of that progression will be a constant pressure against a person's willingness to pay. That'll be the case even if no new grinds were added, no existing grinds were extended and no prices went up.

These things shouldn't be in full priced games, period.

Niks

It's definitely plausible considering their rather "advanced" tech; sounds require a hefty bit of memory and computing power and given the way memory works in PS3 it's not unheard that they simply can't afford the memory for better sounds, but their core audio tech also is missing quite a bit of techniques that have become common in recent games.

Overall, it's probably sum of many parts and probably not an easy enough task to fix on PS3, but I'm optimistic about them sorting it out for GT7. Still most likely won't be the best of the bunch, but I'll take any improvements of the current one.

There was a video on youtube (cant find it atm) where someone theorized how engine sounds work in GT5. The video basically said PD most likely uses 1 or 2 samples of an engine sound, and just "stretches" the sound across the gears (hence the synthesized sound). Of course they could use more samples but that would mean using more resources. The sounds on that video sound spot on with GT5.

Damn, finally found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HkyrjBbW8I
Anyone interested in gt engine sounds should watch this.

Arklite

One more week, been itching for some racing after I had to delete GT5 months ago for some extra hard drive space. At this point though, Polyphony's apathy towards sounds is extremely strange. It's like the sound team is two interns and the guy who arranges the OST.

ironcreed

Banned
Good lawd the sounds are bad.

This is something that has honestly never bothered me. While it will be nice if they finally update the sounds, the look and the gameplay is why I enjoy this series. Then again, it also might be because I am not a super hardcore racing guy who has to have every single sound completely accurate.

The Stealth Fox

This is something that has honestly never bothered me. While it will be nice if they finally update the sounds, the look and the gameplay is why I enjoy this series. Then again, it also might be because I am not a super hardcore racing guy who has to have every single sound completely accurate.

I never actually noticed the sound issue until people pointed it out when I started visiting GT5 threads on GAF. Now I can't "unhear" it. I never noticed it because I never knew what a 458 Italia should sound like until I read direct comparisons that pointed it out.

I feel like GTs sounds are fine in replay. It's when you're in the cockpit is when it's really messed up.

Ding-Ding

Apparently Silverstone doesn't have full time change, just 9am to 7pm. Can anyone with the game confirm it?

If true, that would be bizarre as Silverstone does allow 24hr racing events, Brands Hatch which has been shown to have a day/night cycle in game, doesn't allow night racing though

amar212

It is my guess yes. At least i admit it. Not like you who declares that MT will not affect game progress when you have no clue.

I know how much you love GT... but pretending to not see where MT may lead us ?

Well, I happen to play GT6 for last 2 days, so yes, I probably have some idea about V1.00 ingame economy. But since I am under NDA, I will not talk about it. But I would not take position I am taking without having an idea about current game structure that will probably get significantly expanded once online start to work.

Look, I support your cause, but I honestly think GT is not example of the "evil monetization". I know you would love to get FXX on your very first hour of play, but that is also unlikely to happen. Surprisingly, hou will have to play the game for that. Like, drive, you know?

And if that mskes anything easier in your head, all tracks are unlocked for you since the very start in the Arcade mode. Your FXX is just a few and few hours of play away..

The Stealth Fox

Well, I happen to play GT6 for last 2 days, so yes, I probably have some idea about V1.00 ingame economy. But since I am under NDA, I will not talk about it. But I would not take position I am taking without having an idea about current game structure that will probably get significantly expanded once online start to work.

Look, I support your cause, but I honestly think GT is not example of the "evil monetization". I know you would love to get FXX on your very first hour of play, but that is also unlikely to happen. Surprisingly, hou will have to play the game for that. Like, drive, you know?

And if that mskes anything easier in your head, all tracks are unlocked for you since the very start in the Arcade mode. Your FXX is just a few and few hours of play away..

Why no mechanical damage at launch? Is it planned in a patch?

I MUST KNOW AMAR

There was a video on youtube (cant find it atm) where someone theorized how engine sounds work in GT5. The video basically said PD most likely uses 1 or 2 samples of an engine sound, and just "stretches" the sound across the gears (hence the synthesized sound). Of course they could use more samples but that would mean using more resources. The sounds on that video sound spot on with GT5.

Damn, finally found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HkyrjBbW8I
Anyone interested in gt engine sounds should watch this.

Good video. I'm guessing this is whats going on.

Do the premium cars usually sound better than the standard? that would fit with this theory. Spent more resources on the premium cars.

The lighting in Rome has been improved?

Well the light in the whole game has been improved. I was mainly talking about reflections though. I'd have to see Rome side by side to tell you for sure but it looks nice now.

The little touches with the light system is what makes it for me though, like the example I gave of going through a corner and getting sun reflections of the car ahead of me or how the LED lights look in the sign in Goodwell uphill track.

Anyway, here's the pictures you asked for. Obviously it doesn't look that great in motion with the added effects in photomode.

malyce

It still takes 20 seconds to buy a car? Why...

Yeah.. It's fucking retarded. Not to mention the mandatory animation. It's cool the first few times, but then it becomes infuriating, they should at least give up the option to turn it off. You also still can't buy/sell multiple cars at once... smh This game is in dire need of some western influence. Kaz's "vision" gets really annoying at times.

benzy

Well the light in the whole game has been improved. I was mainly talking about reflections though. I'd have to see Rome side by side to tell you for sure but it looks nice now.

The little touches with the light system is what makes it for me though, like the example I gave of going through a corner and getting sun reflections of the car ahead of me or how the LED lights look in the sign in Goodwell uphill track.

Anyway, here's the pictures you asked for. Obviously it doesn't look that great in motion with the added effects in photomode.

Yeah, from the vids the lighting looks great.

Thanks for the pics.

Top Bottom