• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

anddo0

Do replays not have the option to remove the black bars?

Not in the beta.
I would imagine its in the final build

Nice screens. Could you maybe set the screenshots to 1080p instead of 4k, this would help the picture quality. The game clearly isn't native 4k. Could you also upload some gamplay screens to https://cubeupload.com/ flickr might still be compressing those images. Thanks

Changed the settings to 1080p. I'll try to get a few more captures.

Good but we still need those png gameplay (not replay) screenshots. It's the only way to tell what it really looks like without the youtube compression.

Cool. I'll grab a few more from races.

anddo0:

1. Replays on the pro: 30 or 60?
  2. Framerate in a race with other cars: locked 60?

Ta.

Races and replays look a locked 60fps to me. I'm no DF, they probably dip to 59fps, but hardly noticeable.

Double H

Hey anddo0 is it possible to share the online manual? Curious if there’re some morsels that explain the new BOP system in detail.

Solal

Anddo0-> Could you please check if torque steering is finally in? All aids off, from stop you go full throttle with a powerful FR car... Does the car turn on a side or does it go straight?

Tx in advance.

anddo0

Hey anddo0 is it possible to share the online manual? Curious if there're some morsels that explain the new BOP system in detail.

Online manual
https://youtu.be/F7XhqZeOh-8

Car settings
https://youtu.be/qTI6nPtjtyc

Anddo0-> Could you please check if torque steering is finally in? All aids off, from stop you go full throttle with a powerful FR car... Does the car turn on a side or does it go straight?

Tx in advance.

I'll test this in time trial with the V12

edit; It goes straight, very little give/pull.

How is it the FFB? in comparison with Project Cars and Assetto Corsa

Haven't played AC on console.

Compared to Project Cars, FFB is quite favorable. I haven't tried the game with a wheel yet. But, FFB with a controller feels very responsive to all surfaces.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
did eu get invites too? or still na only?

I think people in EU have been getting the invitations on their dashboards at this point as well.

I am in NA, however, like many, have been left out of the beta.

Here's to hoping for that rumored April release date. I doubt it though if the game hasn't gone gold yet for some reason, but who knows.

JP

giphy.gif

anddo0

Thanks for taking the time to make the recordings, was that the Online Manual or the Quick Guide?

The Online Manual menu item looked disabled, related to the ‘Disconnected to network’ message? I’ve seen it enabled in others’ streams but they had green network bars in the top right by their PSN name.

That's pretty much all they give you.
It said ‘Disconnected to network’ because my PS4 was coming out of rest mode.

Nightfall

I think people in EU have been getting the invitations on their dashboards at this point as well.

I am in NA, however, like many, have been left out of the beta.

Here's to hoping for that rumored April release date. I doubt it though if the game hasn't gone gold yet for some reason, but who knows.

Is there really an April rumor flying around? Haven't see anything yet.
That would be crazy!

Covfan

Don't think anyone in the EU has got an invite yet and the website explicitly states that we should keep our eyes on our email address for the code if we get accepted.

magawolaz

Doing lord's work, anddo0.

Looks good, anisotropic filtering is bad but that was expected. A real shame because texture work looks solid.
Can't believe it took 6 days to get the first direct-feed screenshots though.

JoeNut

the game looks beautiful, however i am more interested in how it plays, how's the handling? how are the tracks? etc.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Is there really an April rumor flying around? Haven't see anything yet.
That would be crazy!

There are some retailer websites out there who are showing a release date around April 20th sometime. The first found was a Finnish retailer with a date of April 20th. Some the 21st. Must be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

Thanks for all the impressions anddoO - seems like you're in here reporting in more than playing :b That being said...

How do you feel about the environments? Step up from prior GTs (obviously relative to other stuff on the system)? Always felt this was lacking.

Also, load times?

Do you get a real time delta bar when in Time Trials? That is so helpful for when you want to know exactly where you are dropping time.

Tx in advance.
This is a myth.
Pretty much all RWD cars have longitudinally mounted engines generating front-rear torque moements on the CoG, most FWD cars that use a transverse mounting mitigated that problem by now (driveshaft geometry, electronic aids that can't be turned off for example).
I don't think there is a car in the beta that would show torque steer effects.

What most people actually mean is that cars in GT keep going straight with the rear wheels spinning and no steering input applied. This indeed is quite unlikely in the real world, but it's not due to torque steer.

Edit: My thanks to anddo0 as well for sharing and doing a Q&A with us here.

anddo0

Opening movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt5TM4-2kDE

Quick lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FWWe08fcIk

Thanks for all the impressions anddoO - seems like you're in here reporting in more than playing :b That being said...

How do you feel about the environments? Step up from prior GTs (obviously relative to other stuff on the system)? Always felt this was lacking.

Also, load times?

The environments are more or less the same. Brands Hatch and Willow Springs are as detailed as ever. I do notice a lot more little details in the crowd and the infield. It doesn't look as barren as before. The tracks themselves seem more vertical, a lot of work went into making each section of the track feel natural in terms of surface.

Stock PS4 Pro HDD

Initial boot with movie: 1:11
Initial boot without movie: 26 seconds
Time Trial: 22 seconds
Race: 26 seconds

Looks pretty good all round but I must say it looks quite muddy in the distance. Is that an AA issue? Are those shots from a Pro?

Huge draw distance, the AA is the best I've seen a Gran Turismo game. I've played AC (on PC) Project Cars (PS4), Drive Club and Forza Horizon 3 (PC) It's sharper than any of those games while maintaining higher framerates.

All shots are PS4 Pro.. I'm a 1080p peasant (Sony w900a) So, no HDR or 4K) Beast mode is on.

Do you get a real time delta bar when in Time Trials? That is so helpful for when you want to know exactly where you are dropping time.

That would be nice. Final build maybe?

anddo0? Are there FOV options? Maybe hidden ones like in previous GT games in the multi-monitor settings???

Also: Sad to see that 0.6° rear toe-in seems to be standard in production cars yet again. Love to see if the caster values are correct, but of course they don't let us and camber while driving won't be shown in any telemetry either. That probably says that theystill don't model the suspension geometry like real sims. And since correct caster values are super important to give accurate self-alignment torque when driving with an FFB wheel, this also means that the FFB will not be self-aligning torque based, meaning it will feel like GT6 and not like Assetto Corsa, rFactor or iRacing. :(

edit: thanks vv

anddo0

I haven't seen anything regarding damage models, and hopefully we get a FOV slider.

anddo0? Are there FOV options? Maybe hidden ones like in previous GT games in the multi-monitor settings???

Also: Sad to see that 0.6° rear toe-in seems to be standard in production cars yet again. Love to see if the caster values are correct, but of course they don't let us and camber while driving won't be shown in any telemetry either. That probably says that theystill don't model the suspension geometry like real sims. And since correct caster values are super important to give accurate self-alignment torque when driving with an FFB wheel, this also means that the FFB will not be self-aligning torque based, meaning it will feel like GT6 and not like Assetto Corsa, rFactor or iRacing. :(

Menus mostly locked. We have (Movie settings, Video, Audio, Units and Network).. Controller settings (Thrustmaster t500 r6, T300R5, T150 FB, Logitech G G29). And Profile.

To everyone hoping for an April release: Why would they do a stealth release for one of PS4's most hyped games? That does not make sense.

There will be an announcement, there will be trailers, there will be an open beta in a couple of months.

Solal

This is a myth.
Pretty much all RWD cars have longitudinally mounted engines generating front-rear torque moements on the CoG, most FWD cars that use a transverse mounting mitigated that problem by now (driveshaft geometry, electronic aids that can't be turned off for example).
I don't think there is a car in the beta that would show torque steer effects.

What most people actually mean is that cars in GT keep going straight with the rear wheels spinning and no steering input applied. This indeed is quite unlikely in the real world, but it's not due to torque steer.

Edit: My thanks to anddo0 as well for sharing and doing a Q&A with us here.

What is a myth? Torque steering?

Also, please explain why the bolded part is not about torque steering. You sound like you're just denying the effects of torque on the steering... but I am not sure I get what you mean. I think you can findmany pretty recent cars (2010's) that show torque steering on youtube...

Though I can agree that many cars now electronically correct torque steering, and yes: this propably can't be turned off...but I doubt GT is realistic enough to have that kind of accuracy: old cars have ABS and ESP in GT for exemple... That's why I was wondering about torque steering in GTS.

The environments are more or less the same. Brands Hatch and Willow Springs are as detailed as ever. I do notice a lot more little details in the crowd and the infield. It doesn't look as barren as before. The tracks themselves seem more vertical, a lot of work went into making each section of the track feel natural in terms of surface.

Stock PS4 Pro HDD

Initial boot with movie: 1:11
Initial boot without movie: 26 seconds
Time Trial: 22 seconds
Race: 26 seconds

Expected generalities, received exact times! Much obliged!

A little disappointed by the bold but I suppose the lighting engine is making a big difference. That whole "barren" thing has always been what's bothered me about GTs tracks so glad to hear it's less apparent. Load times seem pretty reasonable for an HDD - if they can tighten that up any further that will be much better than the PS3 experience.

Once again, really appreciate the impressions and time quotes

Torgo

Any info on PS4 Pro improvements in the beta? Higher resolution/better FPS?

When I spoke to Kazunori Yamauchi at PSX in December, he stated that the only thing that will be different is support for 4K resolution (via I believe 1800P w/checkerboarding, don't have my notes with me)

HDR, framerate, geometry, physics, lighting etc will all be the same across both console models.

What is a myth? Torque steering?

Also, please explain why the bolded part is not about torque steering. You sound like you're just denying the effects of torque on the steering... but I am not sure I get what you mean. I think you can findmany pretty recent cars (2010's) that show torque steering on youtube...

Though I can agree that many cars now electronically correct torque steering, and yes: this propably can't be turned off...but I doubt GT is realistic enough to have that kind of accuracy: old cars have ABS and ESP in GT for exemple... That's why I was wondering about torque steering in GTS.

No, I'm absolutely not denying the effect, it's just that it's only really happening in transverse engine config, the reason for the drifting to one side or another under acceleration are usually the lowered self-centering forces (unloaded front suspension) and uneven road surfaces that lead to effects very similar to torque steer (lateral slope or bump-steer or unequal traction leading to unequal torque distribution - actually this last one could be called torque steer as well, but not usually used in this context I think). But really, actual "torque steer" is more of an FWD thing not present in longitudinal mounted engine cars.

Solal

No, I'm absolutely not denying the effect, it's just that it's only really happening in transverse engine config, the reason for the drifting to one side or another under acceleration are usually the lowered self-centering forces (unloaded front suspension) and uneven road surfaces that lead to effects very similar to torque steer (lateral slope or bump-steer or unequal traction leading to unequal torque distribution - actually this last one could be called torque steer as well, but not usually used in this context I think). But really, actual "torque steer" is more of an FWD thing not present in longitudinal mounted engine cars.

True. My mistake.

But still: my point is that there is no torque steering in GT (and wondering if it's in GTS)... whereas its effect definitly matters (more on FWD...true that).

So. honest point to test the physics engine in a simulator don't you think?

True. My mistake.

But still: my point is that there is no torque steering in GT (and wondering if it's in GTS)... whereas its effect definitly matters (more on FWD...true that).

So. honest point to test the physics engine in a simulator don't you think?

Yes, but that RWD cars don't start spinning out (rotating around the yaw axis I mean) in a burnout if you're pointing the steering input straight (that is what the most people, who are critizing this in GT, probably actually mean) is the worse offender.

Also real torque steer is just a force on the steering wheel, if you hold onto the wheel and don't let it steer, the car will keep going straight. So, for controller players and people with non-FFB wheels this is not an effect they'd have to counter-act. But sure, any car physics that can alter torque distribution should be in a good sim, but GT has sooo many other things to do long before that.

I find it's really not a healthy attitude to compare GT to more hardcore sims, GT is a sim in the way that it doesn't actively alter how real world physics work in favor of gameplay (like Driveclub does for example), but it's leaving out too many things to see it as a real simulator and not a "damn realistic game". I take GT [and Forza and the Codemaster games and even Project CARS (which simulates a lot, but not all very well)] for what it is not for what PD and some fans make it out to be and have a ton of fun with it.

Solal

Yes, but that RWD cars don't start spinning out (rotating around the yaw axis I mean) in a burnout if you're pointing the steering input straight (that is what the most people, who are critizing this in GT, probably actually mean) is the worse offender.

Also real torque steer is just a force on the steering wheel, if you hold onto the wheel and don't let it steer, the car will keep going straight. So, for controller players and people with non-FFB wheels this is not an effect they'd have to counter-act. But sure, any car physics that can alter torque distribution should be in a good sim, but GT has sooo many other things to do long before that.

I find it's really not a healthy attitude to compare GT to more hardcore sims, GT is a sim in the way that it doesn't actively alter how real world physics work in favor of gameplay (like Driveclub does for example), but it's leaving out too many things to see it as a real simulator and not a "damn realistic game". I take GT [and Forza and the Codemaster games and even Project CARS (which simulates a lot, but not all very well)] for what it is not for what PD and some fans make it out to be and have a ton of fun with it.

Look: all I said is that I want GT to simulate torque steering because it's something that impacts the gameplay (especially with a wheel obviously)... I sooooo agree that GT has many many other things to fix.. but I don't find my question "unhealthy".

It's more a matter of credibility and raising standards than anything else actually.

Isn't GT "the real driving simulator" anymore? And: isn't Kaz supposed to be a perfectionist ?

(Also: Forza (not a hardcore sim) does it IIRC...so why would PD get a pass?)

Anyway: I think any critics based on real physics is valid on a sim. No matter how hardcore it is or pretends to be.

Flickr doesn't compress the original version upload, but viewing the gallery Jpegs they will be. If you want to share the uncompressed version, you need to go to Download button under pic and view all sizes, the original PNG version will be uncompressed. It's a little hassle to share that way though, but you can do it quickly via the share link button while browsing each image in the gallery and then select Original size to share under bbcode. Cubeupload is probably a lot more hassle free anyway.

Thanks for the updates and posts!

Look: all I said is that I want GT to simulate torque steering because it's something that impacts the gameplay (especially with a wheel obviously)... I sooooo agree that GT has many many other things to fix.. but I don't find my question "unhealthy".

It's more a matter of credibility and raising standards than anything else actually.

Isn't GT "the real driving simulator" anymore? And: isn't Kaz supposed to be a perfectionist ?

(Also: Forza (not a hardcore sim) does it IIRC...so why would PD get a pass?)

Anyway: I think any critics based on real physics is valid on a sim. No matter how hardcore it is or pretends to be.

Maybe see it more like "I gave up on it and now I can concentrate on having fun with what is there rather than being pissed with what is not there". It kinda speaks for you, that you haven't given up, didn't mean to offend you or look down on your opinion!
Of course there are still simulation aspects that I have hopes for and get disappointed if they're not there, it's more with suspension geometry and FFB feel (and I'll be disappointed about this, I can feel it, but I'll get over it).

It's super tempting to write down some stuff that is extremely off in the GT series, far more wrong than torque steer, but I really don't want to get into discussions with fanboys here and having to show proof for my "accusations". Again, there is really other more pressing stuff that GT needs to do than torque steer (which btw is not in Forza either, I think, they do model angular engine mass and its force on the car's CoG as can be seen when revving a standing car in Forzavista, but the rear-wheel spinning "can't keep the car straight" is not from torque steer modeling in Forza, I think ...and again, you are right, this "can't keep it straight" is not in GT when it should be in there).

Actually this thread deserves some praise, the "GT is the king and models everything to perfection better than any other sim and sells better than blabla"-sentiment is so much less annoying in here than in most other GT7/GTS threads over the last years...and the haters are also less ridiculous, all somewhat balanced and really good so far.

Audioboxer

When I spoke to Kazunori Yamauchi at PSX in December, he stated that the only thing that will be different is support for 4K resolution (via I believe 1800P w/checkerboarding, don't have my notes with me)

HDR, framerate, geometry, physics, lighting etc will all be the same across both console models.

Cheers. I hope if it is feasible though, more improvements follow.

Solal

Maybe see it more like "I gave up on it and now I can concentrate on having fun with what is there rather than being pissed with what is not there". It kinda speaks for you, that you haven't given up, didn't mean to offend you or look down on your opinion!
Of course there are still simulation aspects that I have hopes for and get disappointed if they're not there, it's more with suspension geometry and FFB feel (and I'll be disappointed about this, I can feel it, but I'll get over it).

It's super tempting to write down some stuff that is extremely off in the GT series, far more wrong than torque steer, but I really don't want to get into discussions with fanboys here and having to show proof for my "accusations". Again, there is really other more pressing stuff that GT needs to do than torque steer (which btw is not in Forza either, I think, they do model angular engine mass and its force on the car's CoG as can be seen when revving a standing car in Forzavista, but the rear-wheel spinning "can't keep the car straight" is not from torque steer modeling in Forza, I think ...and again, you are right, this "can't keep it straight" is not in GT when it should be in there).

Actually this thread deserves some praise, the "GT is the king and models everything to perfection better than any other sim and sells better than blabla"-sentiment is so much less annoying in here than in most other GT7/GTS threads over the last years...and the haters are also less ridiculous, all somewhat balanced and really good so far.

Amen to that. ;-)

Top Bottom