• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

...what??

The full game is exactly the same as the demo, in terms of save structure and how it handles online functionality.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

The demo that was a load test for the servers that wouldn't let you save while you were offline?

C'mon, you know exactly what I mean. I enjoyed the gameplay and content, and while I didn't enjoy the fact that I couldn't do anything offline, I was playing under the (reasonable) assumption that I would be able to enjoy the single player content at my leisure, offline or otherwise, in the full release.

I'm not going to stand for arbitrary always-online DRM bollocks.

SephiZack

What in the fuck.........

Please someone defend taking pictures while in online mode only.

Please. I would like to hear this bullshit.

I have no interest in this game but what does taking picture have to do with this? You press SHARE and you take the picture

So ps4 became the always online console of this gen lol how ironic

Because a single online game made PS4 an online console?

dracula_x

Gotta be patched in. Could you imagine racing offline and earning a bit of credits? Then it not letting you save or thinking it auto-saved and you come back and are missing all those earned credits. I would bet this gets patched on Day 1.

I think PS4 "sleep mode" is a workaround for that. Until your close the game, of course.

Tommi84

I'm not going to shout at Polyphony Digital. However, they just lost a sale from me. Granted, that's not much, but few years in the future when the server is down or global cataclism somes and destroys our global web, at least I won't have a useless piece of gaming software.

PS. Obviously I'm joking about the global net not working, d'oh!

C'mon, you know exactly what I mean. I enjoyed the gameplay and content, and while I didn't enjoy the fact that I couldn't do anything offline, I was playing under the (reasonable) assumption that I would be able to enjoy the single player content at my leisure, offline or otherwise, in the full release.

I'm not going to stand for arbitrary always-online DRM bollocks.

Im not sure how "reasonable" it is to assume things when the actual information is more than readily available.

watdaeff4

People who have -any- interest in the game at all surely -at least- read the piece in the PS blog a month ago though

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/14/gran-turismo-sport-eight-things-you-need-to-know/

The online focus has been known since the reveal, and it's also on the box.
I'm not trying to be shitting on the overall theme of the game's online focus, but I for one was unaware the I couldn't save my offline progress. And to take one step further as we now live in a digital world, the PSN store probably states that disclaimer but it's not as prominent as the box of a retail copy. Or I'm completely fucking oblivious which is entirely possible.

At the end of the day, I was disappointed this morning when I couldn't save, but it's not a deal-breaker IMO.

People do need to know it's a real thing though and shouldn't be glossed over IMO.

EDIT: I do have to chuckle at all these comment regarding how the game will be useless when they shut the servers down a few years from now.

Honestly, that is just being a bit unrealistic as the vast,vast, vast majority of players will have moved on from the game by the time this happens

KageMaru

This is primarily an online focused game, so I don't understand the big deal. Locking saves and arcade progression is kind of crap, but I imagine most people wouldn't get this without the intention of playing online.

I'm not sure why you need online saves for the Scapes and Photography either. Hopefully they'll tweak the system to not be too draconian.

There's a better way than what they have implemented.

YBdisk

So you need a flawless connection every time you progress in the "offline" game or you're screwed.

And some of you are defending this? Why?

Also, how is a racing game being compared to online shooters? What would an online shooter have available offline that would be satisfactory?

Always online backfired on Microsoft for a reason. And GT Sport is what Forza would have been if they had gone through with it (not really, but you get what I'm saying).

King_Moc

Banned
Because they decide make an online game?

Yeah, but that's the same thing as effectively bricking your console if it doesn't see the Internet for 24hrs and removing ownership of all games.

That was sarcasm btw, for all you console warriors out there.

Heigic

Limiting features for the < 1% of players that are good enough at the game to care about esports doesn't really make sense, and anyone that does care will be dedicated enough to have enough credits to buy everything anyway.

Such a bullshit excuse.

In case people don't understand why I am not happy about it. I hate how they wasted time with this online shitfest instead of making another mainline game and the slow development at PD likely meams we won't get to see another game until PS5.

It's not an excuse, it's where Kaz has taken the series. You may dislike that--and plenty do--but this is not some nefarious bait and switch.

Limiting features for the < 1% of players that are good enough at the game to care about esports doesn't really make sense, and anyone that does care will be dedicated enough to have enough credits to buy everything anyway.

You should play it, because the two rankings and matchmaking mean you have fun regardless of skill level.

In fact, it's an emphasis of the game early--in the intro video.

Chrisdk

Here in Denmark the retail stores are using the box art without the sticker on to sell the game online. In fact there are no mention that the game are limited offline. This is really shitty and Sony shouldn’t have made a box art without the warning or at least given a description of it. I already knew that it didn’t have a proper GT singleplayer campaign, but i had no idea that it was limited offline(other than the obvious that you can’t play against others online).

These companies are doing everything they can to try and trick us. It’s crazy how much research you have to do to not get fooled. I really hate how you can’t just buy a game nowadays without doing research.

If i just heard about GT, went online to order it i would have zero knowledge of it being limited offline. No sticker and no description of it. This practice of limiting offline with no reason for it whatsoever really need to stop.

watdaeff4

This is primarily an online focused game, so I don't understand the big deal. Locking saves and arcade progression is kind of crap, but I imagine most people wouldn't get this without the intention of playing online.

I agree with you, but a less dramatic concern of mine is that it essentially keeps me from playing at all when I can't connect to the servers.

Online is the focus, but it would be nice to save progression when not connected. I don't think that an unreasonable request

Such a bullshit excuse.

In case people don't understand why I am not happy about it. I hate how they wasted time with this online shitfest instead of making another mainline game and the slow development at PD likely meams we won't get to see another game until PS5.

GT was in a massive need of a overhaul. I know the collectathon campaign had its fans but a lot of people, me included thought it was terrible. So unbalanced as to be broken. I don't know if this will ultimately be much better but change is good.

yep, me too:

SNECZnj.png

btw, that thread has more views that OT Forza 7 thread :)

edit: ^ I guess that because Forza fans spend more time in GT threads rather than in Forza 7 OT :)

Didn't know that lol.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I don’t think “online” is a driving factor for people to play GT.

magawolaz

I'm not sure why you need online saves for the Scapes and Photography either. Hopefully they'll tweak the system to not be too draconian.

There's a better way than what they have implemented.
Yeah this very weird. Also because sharing scapes on the Social Area is optional

ryseing

Isn't most of the game online multiplayer?

There is SP content that does not require Plus, just an Internet connection.

Will the game be a lesser experience without Plus? Sure, and that sucks. Again, I think going all on on eSports will be shown to be a critical mistake. But I'm not convinced PD was given a mandate to do an online focused experience in order to sell Plus, which was your original hypothesis.

Here in Denmark the retail stores are using the box art without the sticker on to sell the game online. In fact there are no mention that the game are limited offline. This is really shitty and Sony shouldn’t have made a box art without the warning or at least given a description of it. I already knew that it didn’t have a proper GT singleplayer campaign, but i had no idea that it was limited offline(other than the obvious that you can’t play against others online).

These companies are doing everything they can to try and trick us. It’s crazy how much research you have to do to not get fooled. I really hate how you can’t just buy a game nowadays without doing research.

If i just heard about GT, went online to order it i would have zero knowledge of it being limited offline. No sticker and no description of it. This practice of limiting offline with no reason for it whatsoever really need to stop.

Why isn't your PS4 online? Can't you just hotspot your phone?

Rmagnus

Banned
Because they decide make an online game?

Because like sfv when first launched you basically paid 60 bucks for a demo if you don't have psn plus don't worry tho keep defending it. Just like loot box, dlc, horse armour, paid online etc gamers in general have no principle at all.

Stygr

Banned
I really don't know why they didn't make a proper Gran Turismo, fucking 4 YEARS, 4 YEARS and they gave to us a limited title, with a lot of missing features. I'm so disappointed, at least i paid the game 39,99€...

Well there's a difference between not liking the direction this game has taken and being against online games in general I suppose.

It's not that I'm against online games. I play them all the time. It's that I'm against an online game that requires you to be online to even save sp progress. That's the difference. They can justify it all they want but it's consumer unfriendly. I just see a point where this is just accepted as standard and it doesn't need to be that way. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill though who knows.

Z3M0G

Thank you for making this thread... I was wondering if it would be a good game for our office gaming room which has PSVR, but not possible to connect to network.

NOPE

This is an Online Only game in every sense of the term. Was this not communicated at all? Does it say it on the Packaging / PSN store??

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This is disgusting. Didn't know this turned into my PS2 with no memory card.

So you need a flawless connection every time you progress in the "offline" game or you're screwed.

Just like loot box, dlc, horse armour, paid online etc gamers in general have no principle at all.

aw yeah, now we're diving headfirst into wacky town. Let's keep this crazy train a-goin'!

Thank you for making this thread... I was wondering if it would be a good game for our office gaming room which has PSVR, but not possible to connect to network.

NOPE

VR mode is available offline. There are zero online components to the VR mode so you're good.

Nugg

It's 2017, the <1% of players that care about esports overpowers the <1% of players that don't have internet?

qazqaNii

What the fuck, how can I not save offline? What happens if I save online and then one day when I want to play I don't have access to online, do I start from the beginning?

Is HDD's not possible to save on?

???

Tigress

So you boycott all online games devs make?

If they pretty much insist that I play the sp elements online. And honestly, I don't in general buy online games. Gta online really is the only one I even play and I bought it for the sp that they don't force you to be online to play. But unless they only allow you to race other players, there is no reason to force you to play online. Only heir able to save online for anything is bullshit.

Vuci

Because like sfv when first launched you basically paid 60 bucks for a demo if you don't have psn plus don't worry tho keep defending it. Just like loot box, dlc, horse armour, paid online etc gamers in general have no principle at all.

Wow.

Z3M0G

aw yeah, now we're diving headfirst into wacky town. Let's keep this crazy train a-goin'!

VR mode is available offline. There are zero online components to the VR mode so you're good.

Ok I need to read this thread in case i'm missing something, but why would I want to play a game if I can't save any progress or unlock anything?

dracula_x

NOPE

This is an Online Only game in every sense of the term. Was this not communicated at all? Does it say it on the Packaging / PSN store??

Arcade mode is playable in offline

Top Bottom