• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

JJShadow

Can anyone explain what the rhythmic thumping is while driving on Tokyo Expressway?

Do you mean the arcade race shown above? It's 24 real length hours.

Yes and Yes, plus a wheel.

I just had a LaFerrari, a Viper GT3 and some LMS prototype in my daily workout prize car pot and what I get? A fucking Mito. /killme

I'm at 57.2 with controller and TC 0. But also no chance for pole or even daring an attack at top3 in race.

Manual, TC set to 2,and a pad.

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely change to manual today and give no TC a try

mcfizzle4

Congrats dude! I really don't think I can make it there until I have my wheel setup :(
Currently sitting at D/C

Wow, congratulations. Do also you see correlation between a good qualifying time/starting spot and a clean race in higher tear SR?

Thanks guys.

That's hard to say, but I'd go with yes. I've been lucky enough that I've qualified between 3rd and 7th for every race so I've avoided a lot of mid pack chaos. The first turns definitely seem to be more orderly. Overall the races up front have been very clean but the last one 1st through 4th qualified within 3 tenths of each other, I was third, and they seemed to be a little bit more aggressive with each other.

The biggest thing I've noticed is not dirty racing but just people's lack of awareness of a car next to them and not holding their line properly or misjudging entry speeds and sliding into each other.

Skitso78

the wheel won't constantly vibrate

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I realize that it isn't vibrating constantly, but should there even be any separate vibrations at all (like with dual shock) or is the FFB the only feedback I'll get? For example I'm not getting any vibrations when running over curbs or bumping other cars, but the wheel is just jolting from side to side.

I hope you get what I'm after, as I'm not a native english speaker. What I mean is that does the G29 include vibration motors in addition to the FFB motors.

AngerdX

My brake consistency suck, either to little or to much, time to upgrade the old g25 or atleast the pedals for now.

And i guess i try to go to fast most of the time heh

Bollocks

Got my T-GT wheel yesterday and holy fuck is it awesome.
My first wheel and I couldn't stop driving.
My dad who is not a gamer and normally only watches when I show him games wanted to try it himself and was also impressed and insisted "just one more lap", so I guess this wheel really elevates the experience.

Project Cars 2 was also cool but you do notice a difference, not much but GT Sport with the T-GT is just something else.
Haven't tried VR yet, will do when I figure out to make space.

Dirt Rally was ok, simply because you really need to work there and I haven't figured it out yet, normal wheel angle like in GT and PC2 is not enough but I do got some first drifts in, complete with countersteering and all that, that you can only do with a wheel and it is just
so_good.jpg
Can't wait to get back home drive more!

Yes the wheel is expensive but it feels so damn good

I've had a roughly 40 minute window twice in the evening so far to play.

Guess what in reality I've actually to do.... 2 crash-heavy oval races + an eternity of qualifying.

I enjoyed the beta and the concept, but I didn't think there would literally be just 3 race types per day (per week now?) on a repeating spaced out schedule. And if you flat out don't enjoy ovals that's 2 race types per week, and even then you better hope the scheduling of those two races sync's well with yours or it's just a lot of waiting around.

I've had a roughly 40 minute window twice in the evening so far to play.

Guess what in reality I've actually to do.... 2 crash-heavy oval races + an eternity of qualifying.

I enjoyed the beta and the concept, but I didn't think there would literally be just 3 race types per day (per week now?) on a repeating spaced out schedule. And if you flat out don't enjoy ovals that's 2 race types per week, and even then you better hope the scheduling of those two races sync's well with yours or it's just a lot of waiting around.
The races are now on 5 Minute Intervalls, there should be minimal waiting. But with the previous 20 Minutes there was a Lot of waiting, for Sure.
Also dailys not being daily needs to change ASAP

The biggest thing I've noticed is not dirty racing but just people's lack of awareness of a car next to them and not holding their line properly or misjudging entry speeds and sliding into each other.

This is by far the biggest problem. Too many people try cutting back onto the racing line if they go wide or if they are slow out of a corner. As well as lunging for the overtake on the corner which 90% of the time ends up using the car in front as a barrier.

Can anyone explain what the rhythmic thumping is while driving on Tokyo Expressway?

I know this is already answered, but I was confused about this also for longer than I care to admit. The sound effect or rumble or whatever they've done is way too over the top for it to seem like a seam!

onanie

I know this is already answered, but I was confused about this also for longer than I care to admit. The sound effect or rumble or whatever they've done is way too over the top for it to seem like a seam!

It’s Kaz dry humping the mic b4 he realised someone is recording

Azzawon

The races are now on 5 Minute Intervalls, there should be minimal waiting. But with the previous 20 Minutes there was a Lot of waiting, for Sure.

Bottas intensifies.

I agree though, there needs to be more variation in the races. I've gotten sick of racing on poxy little tracks in the same cars so I'm spending most of my time in Circuit Experiences getting the golds there.

There should be 5-7 daily races, or hell, if they don't change them daily, just call them Weekly Races instead. The game has Bathurst, São Paulo and the Nürburgring. Why not use them?

Honestly one of the things I dislike the most so far about the game is the in race soundtrack. The menu music sounds like it's made for me. I love it! But then the when I jump into a race it turns into dumb 90s sounding butt rock. I turned it down, but I almost wish I could play the menu music in race as well, and keep it continuous from loading to in race.

bombshell

When can we expect PD to get their heads out their asses and update these "daileekly" races? Every Tuesday is simply too stupid and will kill Sport mode for me and many others before it even has a chance to properly get going.

I can see now that the Sport mode event calendar has been filled out for the rest of November, but those events are what is understandably occurring weekly, the "daileekly" races should update much more...

IISANDERII

Anybody knows why they lowered the start time intervals from 20 min to 5?

With 20min there were fewer races so I guess they wanted a larger pool of players grouped together and not splitting player bases. But looks like they’re not worried about that anymore because there are more than enough players?

Anecdotally, I’ve noticed only B ranked SR players in my races now(but still different DR ranks). Before, it was a mix of different ranks of both SR and DR.

Azzawon

Honestly one of the things I dislike the most so far about the game is the in race soundtrack. The menu music sounds like it's made for me. I love it! But then the when I jump into a race it turns into dumb 90s sounding butt rock. I turned it down, but I almost wish I could play the menu music in race as well, and keep it continuous from loading to in race.

Welcome to Gran Turismo!

In previous games you could customise the soundtrack and choose what songs played where (menus, race or not at all). Not sure whether you can in this one because I haven't really had chance to look.

Shaneus

Fire up the biggest City Pop playlist on Spotify and enjoy. It's perfect for Sport.

NHale

When can we expect PD to get their heads out their asses and update these "daileekly" races? Every Tuesday is simply too stupid and will kill Sport mode for me and many others before it even has a chance to properly get going.

I can see now that the Sport mode event calendar has been filled out for the rest of November, but those events are what is understandably occurring weekly, the "daileekly" races should update much more...

There is no single reason why Daily events shouldn't be daily. Also I fail to see a reason to add more events in the daily rotation and if they want make 3 events the weekly event.

This is why I never believed Polyphony Digital could bring what iRacing does best to the console space. The fact that they aren't updating daily events clearly shows that, which is weird because they actually managed to bring the hardest part of the iRacing system.

Ideally I still believe they need at least 5 daily events (3 short + 1 medium + 1 endurance with tyre wear, mechanical damage and pitstops). Right now there are no way I can race a 45 minute race online in Sport mode. That's just stupid. Sometimes you spend more time qualifying than actually racing.

There should be 5-7 daily races, or hell, if they don't change them daily, just call them Weekly Races instead. The game has Bathurst, São Paulo and the Nürburgring. Why not use them?

Why would want Interlagos or Bathurst when you can have Brands Hatch Indy and Suzuka Short?

AHindD

Yep, they need to refresh the 'daily' races on a daily basis, and provide many more of them. Hell, there should be 6, one at each 10 minute interval. 4 road courses, 1 sprint/rally course, and 1 karting course. Each day.

At this rate, the game will be dead by week 2.

emjot

Np. Be prepared to repeat and rage. You really have to be perfect the entire 15 minutes. Luckily it goes quick. When you are in first, be sure to have a driving view with a rear view mirror, i.e. cockpit or bumper. You need to get pretty grimy with the blocking.

Pausing this, can't do better than 4th. Does not make a difference to me if I go Soft/Medium or Hard/no change, I end up 5sec behind and can't connect to the pack in front of me. It would be perfect GT if there was only a single car you'd have to own to beat this, but right now I'm too stingy to spend 450k on the Subaru.
Tried with the Audi R8 and Hurracan, I just don't have the topspeed - which would suck cause you can't change the setup - or the race is seriously gimped. There is only one faster car available (Viper, topspeed index 7.3) and one better at cornering (Subaru), but none beats the combination of topspeed and cornering of the Audi. So in theory the Audi should be the top choice, but I got zero chance right now. Blame it on my oval skills though.

Can understand peoples' frustrations regarding the lack of updates to the Sport races, but personally hoping that they're just working on ensuring things stay stable for a few days before starting to mix things up a bit. I'm sure they will, there's plenty of car/track combinations to get through.

Also the fact that the tracks have been relatively short ones for the first few days could be a good way of sorting out the SR. I've avoided the oval purely as an exercise to ensure my SR stays good. The players who aren't bothered about racing cleanly are going to enter the oval race and that's a good way to weed them out, as it were.

There is no single reason why Daily events shouldn't be daily. Also I fail to see a reason to add more events in the daily rotation and if they want make 3 events the weekly event.

This is why I never believed Polyphony Digital could bring what iRacing does best to the console space. The fact that they aren't updating daily events clearly shows that, which is weird because they actually managed to bring the hardest part of the iRacing system.

Ideally I still believe they need at least 5 daily events (3 short + 1 medium + 1 endurance with tyre wear, mechanical damage and pitstops). Right now there are no way I can race a 45 minute race online in Sport mode. That's just stupid. Sometimes you spend more time qualifying than actually racing.

I like this suggestion but always have the long race set to start on the hour so people have a point of reference and boost player numbers.

I may be missing something obvious, but when watching replays of Sports mode (or I guess any online race) is there a way to toggle off the player name markers hovering over all the cars?

I just want to watch some SunhiLegend quality replays!

ruttyboy

I haven't touched Sport mode yet, so would someone be kind enough to tell me, is there a restriction on assists in the races, or is a free-for-all?

Shit really? When did they change that, that's made my day, I will actually get to race this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

KdotIX

I haven't touched Sport mode yet, so would someone be kind enough to tell me, is there a restriction on assists in the races, or is a free-for-all?

No restrictions on assists. However, to be somewhat competitive you may need to eventually turn some off. I would recommend using the qualifying time trial to get used to your car, learn the track and slowly go from there to ween yourself off the assists, every fastest lap you put in will count towards your qualification for a Sport race, so you will work yourself up the table slowly but surely.

I also recommend using the qualification mode to practice being consistent. I usually try to do 10 lap stints of consistent times (not necessarily the fastest) whilst making sure I don't run off the road. That will be key to climbing positions during an actual race.

ruttyboy

No restrictions on assists. However, to be somewhat competitive you may need to eventually turn some off. I would recommend using the qualifying time trial to get used to your car, learn the track and slowly go from there to ween yourself off the assists, every fastest lap you put in will count towards your qualification for a Sport race, so you will work yourself up the table slowly but surely.

I also recommend using the qualification mode to practice being consistent. I usually try to do 10 lap stints of consistent times (not necessarily the fastest) whilst making sure I don't run off the road. That will be key to climbing positions during an actual race.

Thanks, though you misunderstand, if it was up to me no-one would be allowed to use any assists at all, not even ABS!

I'm worried that to be competitive I might need to switch some on, is that a danger do you think? In GT6 when I went online I stuck to my no assists policy and often lost time to people leaning on the assists too heavily.

danowat

Banned
Was playing some mission challenges and was thinking, damn, could you imagine if we had everything that is currently in GTS, and a traditional GT style career.....

KdotIX

Thanks, though you misunderstand, if it was up to me no-one would be allowed to use any assists at all, not even ABS!

I'm worried that to be competitive I might need to switch some on, is that a danger do you think? In GT6 when I went online I stuck to my no assists policy and often lost time to people leaning on the assists too heavily.

It's only a danger if you can't manage a car without assists turned on effectively. If you have to use them, its not necesarilly a bad thing, just go with whatever you're comfortable with at the time and then when you're not racing on Sport mode, work at getting better without assists.

Personally I'm playing on a controller and I use TC and mild ABS. I actually cannot handle a car without TC and set respectable lap times and this is only on GT Sport. I play pretty much every other racing game with no assists and I'm in total control.

Foxxsoxx

I haven't gotten GTS yet, but it's how I loved playing Driveclub for hours on end just doing time trials, shaving off milliseconds.

Yeah I haven't ever touched racing games before and I went down that rabbit hole and came out 3 hours later. And that's just with me being a beginner. I redboxed it but I'd like to get a cheap wheel for when I eventually buy it.

I'm not made of cash so can anyone tell me if the Thrustmaster T80 is worth it?

mcfizzle4

This is by far the biggest problem. Too many people try cutting back onto the racing line if they go wide or if they are slow out of a corner. As well as lunging for the overtake on the corner which 90% of the time ends up using the car in front as a barrier.
I learned online racing from the WRS Online Racing Group at GTPlanet and in that group you don't attempt a pass entering a corner unless you have about 50% overlap entering the corner/brake zone or if the lead car makes a mistake and loses the groove. If the behind car makes contact while making the pass you concede position back, even if that means waiting for them to re-enter the track. I'm not an aggressive driver almost to a fault, there are passes I could probably make but don't attempt because I need to trust the driver next to me if we're entering a corner together.

Having said all that, GTS is the best racing with randoms I've experienced.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I realize that it isn't vibrating constantly, but should there even be any separate vibrations at all (like with dual shock) or is the FFB the only feedback I'll get? For example I'm not getting any vibrations when running over curbs or bumping other cars, but the wheel is just jolting from side to side.

I hope you get what I'm after, as I'm not a native english speaker. What I mean is that does the G29 include vibration motors in addition to the FFB motors.
I get what you mean. I have the G29 also and I thought the motor in my wheel had gone where there was no vibration on rumble strips/kerbs. Used to it now though and the feedback from the wheel is sufficient.

plidex

Feels good to gold almost every sector of the Nordschleife circuit experience with more than a second to spare. Not sure if they were too forgiving because while I know it very well I’m no alien.

Feels good to gold almost every sector of the Nordschleife circuit experience with more than a second to spare. Not sure if they were too forgiving because while I know it very well I’m no alien.
I don't know it and get golds, at least the first 4 only took a few goes , there is more fat than msny challenges or licenses I think?

Top Bottom