• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

onanie

I have got second once. I have done it 9 time trying for gold with various techniques and levels of success. What is your status? You just say things with nothing to back it up. You didn't even seem to understand what bump drafting was a few posts back and now you are telling me that you can do it in this mission when you clearly cannot. The cars slow down with contact or the weave to the side.

Well, since you haven't golded it, you have no idea what you're talking about really.

ty_hot

They do not render pack drafting. Where a car close enough behind makes both the front and rear car go faster. It is how you can bridge gaps from pack to pack. Every nascar fan knows this basic principle after watching one race. In the oval endurance race, 3rd and fourth are programmed to be 3rd and 4th so you can’t use them to gain ground on 1st. They slow in front of you but mega draft when behind you. It is all just terrible AI cheating to give the illusion of a close finish for the challenge when it should be a piece of cake for a Wrx and a corvette drafting together to catch one lone wrx with no drafting partner.

Playing the Sport event in the oval I get half second faster while racing compared to when I qualify. And I have a very good qualifying time (0.150-0.200 above the fastest). Maybe the event you are talking about doesn't include slipstream (when you create a custom race you can have it set to real, strong, weak).

bombshell

Does the real civic type R really handle so badly and have such a lot of suspension softness? I can't believe it.

Getting on the gas immediately generates understeer, pretty much, and it sways like a boat fore and aft, throttle vs brake.

If you are a little too fast entering a corner: toast because braking adds a lot of understeer. If you are a tad fast at an apex using any throttle at all will throw you off track as well.

Real Civic type R is praised for having minimal torque steer, adjustability, and a track oriented suspension. But the GT:S version is a terrible advert.

It's the tyres. I thought we were all familiar with the GT tyre rankings, you drive like a dream on the racing tyres, but like on ice on all the comfort compounds and to a degree also on sport hard tyres which are forced in that race.

bud

the reason why a lot (of the ones i've played so far) of these driving school challenges are somewhat easy to gold is because there's a trophy to be earned if you gold them all by more than a second, i think.

bombshell

the reason why a lot (of the ones i've played so far) of these driving school challenges are somewhat easy to gold is because there's a trophy to be earned if you gold them all by more than a second, i think.

No, just need to beat one with a time like that. What you suggest is impossible on the short ones.

Upinsmoke

Fuck turn 1 into turn 2 on Brands Hatch in a Type R.

Qualied 4th in my first sport race, dropped to 7th cause I fucked that turn on lap 2 after being in 3rd. Feels bad :(
I raced that yesterday. Qualified with a 59 something, one person had a 57 second lap! Blew us away during the course of the race by 10 seconds. Too many idiots brake late into turn one on that track and end up smashing into you.

magawolaz

Fucks sake... I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel duped after the demo's dailies.
Yep. Should have called them weekly or hourly, there's literally nothing happening daily.

Again it's fine having them last a week, but there should be way more events.
The day I'll find fucking Northern Isle+Tokyo with LMP1+karts I'll lose my shit.

BeeDog

Didn't have much time to mess around with modes and settings yesterday, but did a couple of quick tests and races and the game feels excellent when driving. And the sound is so, so much improved since the last game; I enabled the enhanced sound mode, and some of the cars in my garage sound deadly beastly. I can imagine the game's drawbacks pissing me off sooner or later, but if PD keep updating the game at regular intervals (like they did with GT5/6) I see myself sticking with the game. I just hope they stick with the game too and don't drop the support.

I raced that yesterday. Qualified with a 59 something, one person had a 57 second lap! Blew us away during the course of the race by 10 seconds. Too many idiots brake late into turn one on that track and end up smashing into you.

Yeah I think I did 58 something on it but my lap times were usually a minute or so. It does feel nice to see other people spin out cause for me that's just a cheap overtake and I'm glad to take it :p. Suzuka was a much better experience for me though, except I'm so used to the track in F1, that I forget to make that hard turn right (2nd to last turn) instead by going the normal route and making a straight left into a wall. Messed up some of my qualifying times for that race.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! 8-6 finally golded. Holy shit that was rough. Turns out it was all about tire selection. Start with RS front and RM rear, and at the pit on lap 11, go with all RS. Wow, fuck that shit. Had to do a ton of blocking at the end.

Skitso78

Quoting myself from previous page:

A fresh Logitech G29 owner here. This is my first wheel controller ever and there's one thing I'm wondering: is there no regular vibration function in this thing at all? While I get a really nice force feedback, it lacks all the smaller nuances like road surface, cerbs, engine, transmission and engine vibrations I get with a regular controller. Do I have a defect product or is this a normal feaure with just GTS or a G29?

Also, there's two force feedback settings in the options menu. Any suggestions to those?

Thanks.

Anyone?

Oh man these circuit experiences are a gold mine. Crushing times on first go, easy Cr. and prize cars.
Some of them are pretty easy - beat Streets of Willow Springs with a very ungraceful lap for instance, but Brands Hatch gave me one hell of a workout. Still learning a ton though and can feel my skills leveling up.

Some of them are pretty easy - beat Streets of Willow Springs with a very ungraceful lap for instance, but Brands Hatch gave me one hell of a workout. Still learning a ton though and can feel my skills leveling up.

Same here. They’re really helping me learn the tracks and the tricks of the trade.

Niks

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! 8-6 finally golded. Holy shit that was rough. Turns out it was all about tire selection. Start with RS front and RM rear, and at the pit on lap 11, go with all RS. Wow, fuck that shit. Had to do a ton of blocking at the end.

Gonna try that tomorrow. Also gonna try changing tire selection for the interlagos race. I was doing it on the default tires...

My best tip for brands hatch, and this has been in every sim racing game I have raced it on...do a lot of laps with a slower car. It helps with the lines so much. The faster cars it gives you in the experience are easy to mask mistakes. This tip honestly applies to most tracks. The Skippy in iRacing was the best for perfecting lines.

Gonna try that tomorrow. Also gonna try changing tire selection for the interlagos race. I was doing it on the default tires...

I was shocked at how much you could wail on the tires in that oval endurance. They were shot but still faster than hards.

GHG

Gonna be sort of wild to revisit the reaction to this game come next year.

If they keep the "dailies" as weeklies then I doubt many people will still be playing in a year.

This is just typical of PD though, in their mind a day probably is a week. They probably won't think they're doing anything wrong.

Sony: Kaz, when will the next GT be ready to release?
Kaz: Just give me a month and it should be finished.

*2 years later the next GT releases, unfinished*

Got Golds on all the Intermediate 1 license tests finished. Got a crappy Vision GTI for my troubles. My unlocks have been really bad luck compared to the demo.

Now to see what all the Civic raves are about.

Oh man these circuit experiences are a gold mine. Crushing times on first go, easy Cr. and prize cars.

It's there I learned just how brutal Horse Thief Mile is. I hadn't tested that track out yet, but man there's like no margin for error there. You mess up once and you're flying off into the desert.

If they keep the "dailies" as weeklies then I doubt many people will still be playing in a year.

This is just typical of PD though, in their mind a week probably is a day. They probably won't think they're doing anything wrong.

Sony: Kaz, when will the next GT be ready to release?
Kaz: Just give me a month and it should be finished.

*2 years later the next GT releases, unfinished*

IMO, either expand to 5 or 6 activities and rename it weeklies, or actually fix it and make it daily.

The always online inconveniences are starting to show for me a little bit, and the lack of variety from the daily races is certainly starting to grate already -- otherwise I'm still finding myself satisfied, but I'm just finding that it doesn't function as ideally as it could in some key areas. Despite thinking Sport Mode is the best part of the game hands down, I'm getting tired of repeating Brands Hatch and Suzuka in this current lineup. I'm trying to SR up so I'm not touching Northern Isle Speedway again.

... I mean, no Scapes mode without a connection? ... Why?

My best tip for brands hatch, and this has been in every sim racing game I have raced it on...do a lot of laps with a slower car. It helps with the lines so much. The faster cars it gives you in the experience are easy to mask mistakes. This tip honestly applies to most tracks. The Skippy in iRacing was the best for perfecting lines.
After I did all the individual turn challenges I took a break to really get used to the flow of the track as a whole in time trials. In that case I was using the same car you use in CE - that Audi felt so damn good I just bought it then and there. Only car I've bought so far.

The first turn is of course one hell of a problem spot, but so was getting the proper speed and turn-in for the second turn without losing too much speed. Once I had those two down I was solid.

Also took me a while since I didn't realize until I ran those Brands Hatch time trials that you also get cones for turn-in, and not just the double cones for braking. D'oh!

Speaking of which, does Sport mode include those cones? Or do you have to rely upon other markers?

After I did all the individual turn challenges I took a break to really get used to the flow of the track as a whole in time trials. In that case I was using the same car you use in CE - that Audi felt so damn good I just bought it then and there.

The first turn is of course one hell of a problem spot, but so was getting the proper speed and turn-in for the second turn without losing too much speed. Once I had those two down I was solid.

Also took me a while since I didn't realize until those Brands Hatch time trials that you also get cones for turn-in, and not just the double cones for braking. D'oh!

I have gone through that god damn first turn who knows how many times. I fucking hate its guts to this day. It is a pure bred lap fucker.

I have gone through that god damn first turn who knows how many times. I fucking hate its guts to this day. It is a pure bred lap fucker.

I used to do some racing in Grand Prix Legends (1960s Formula One) back in the day, and I don't remember the historic version's first turn being the complete bastard that it is now. Yeah, I really despise that turn.

emjot

Congratulations. Can you give some tips on oval racing, car setup and so on? I totally suck on oval and I get zero fun out of it.

I used to do some racing in Grand Prix Legends (1960s Formula One) back in the day, and I don't remember the historic version's first turn being the complete bastard that it is now. Yeah, I really despise that turn.

The greatest first turn fuckery of all time was Grand Prix Legends Monza online. The amount of blood shed in that first corner could fill an ocean. Ahhh GPL days. What a game. It was what introduced me to the Green Hell.

GHG

IMO, either expand to 5 or 6 activities and rename it weeklies, or actually fix it and make it daily.

The always online inconveniences are starting to show for me a little bit, and the lack of variety from the daily races is certainly starting to grate already -- otherwise I'm still finding myself satisfied, but I'm just finding that it doesn't function as ideally as it could in some key areas. Despite thinking Sport Mode is the best part of the game hands down, I'm getting tired of repeating Brands Hatch and Suzuka in this current lineup. I'm trying to SR up so I'm not touching Northern Isle Speedway again.

... I mean, no Scapes mode without a connection? ... Why?

I'd probably play the game every day for the rest of my life if they made the dailies what they should be (even with the lack of content). But as it stands I'll probably only play it one day a week once I'm done with the SP stuff, and that's if I remember.

Why they've done this to the one thing that makes this game compelling I will never know.

Congratulations. Can you give some tips on oval racing, car setup and so on? I totally suck on oval and I get zero fun out of it.

You can't change setup so it is only tires and racing line. Obviously draft all the time when possible. Other than that, it was setting front tires to soft, rear to medium. In terms of the track. Turn 1 is a big deal. Don't brake too late or go too deep toward the apron. Turn 2 is flat and turn 3 you can lift and down shift at apex. Pit at lap 11, put in ~10.3 laps of fuel as well as full soft tires and get aggressive on turns 1 and 3 but still staying smooth. You will close your distance to leading pack while your tires are fresh. After you get the lead, block, block, block. Fuck that sportsmanship video, weave like a man chained to a loom. You can keep the max fuel mixture (1) the entire time.

Edit: Oh and buy the Gr.3 Subaru WRX for it. It is a beast in the corners.
Edit2: I had TC off the entire time without issue.

cooly08

giphy.gif

emjot

You can't change setup so it is only tires and racing line. Obviously draft all the time when possible. Other than that, it was setting front tires to soft, rear to medium. In terms of the track. Turn 1 is a big deal. Don't brake too late or go too deep toward the apron. Turn 2 is flat and turn 3 you can lift and down shift at apex. Pit at lap 11, put in ~10.3 laps of fuel as well as full soft tires and get aggressive on turns 1 and 3 but still staying smooth. You will close your distance to leading pack while your tires are fresh. After you get the lead, block, block, block. Fuck that sportsmanship video, weave like a man chained to a loom. You can keep the max fuel mixture (1) the entire time.

Edit: Oh and buy the Gr.3 Subaru WRX for it. It is a beast in the corners.
Edit2: I had TC off the entire time without issue.

thx a lot, will try later.

Top Bottom