• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Did a couple of licences and missions today. Only one Sport race (the second one, don't remember the name of the track).

Biggest accomplishment of the day:

Going from 13th to 7th in that race, bit salty because I did a really tiny hit on the back of a car and got my SR down when the whole race I was pristine. -_-
Only got 1s pen so my position wasn't compromised.

Anyway, tomorrow is weekend so I expect to play a lot of this! :D

Wow. The blue moon speedway endurance race is fucking rubbish. Oval race, gonna teach you about drafting in packs...nope that isn't rendered. Bump drafting? Nope, that isn't modeled either. The AI just drives a pre determined speed to at certain positions on the track on certain laps. In the exact same car, I came out of a corner bumper to bumper, took the corner clean like any other lap, and the car just pulls away from me on the straight like it has boost mode on, even though I am in the draft. Bull shit rubber band AI. Oval and dirt racing are a joke in this game. They don't model or teach you the most important things in each type of racing. Speedway oval? A pack of cars is always always always going to be faster than one by itself. Yet the 1st place car gets a magical ghost toe and the pack never catches up. The only way I made it to first briefly is not taking new tires during the 1 pit stop. But then the AI mega boosts up to you and you can weave around blocking them, but the two times I have done it, they eventually pass me or spin me out. Fuck the AI in this game.

ghibli99

Did my first Sport race at Brands Hatch in the Civic Type R earlier. Didn't do well (crazy understeer), but it was still fun. Will do more tonight.

Not difficult to figure out why if you were paying attention to the driver etiquette videos.
You sure got me there. Nice sportsmanship! ;)

onanie

Wow. The blue moon speedway endurance race is fucking rubbish. Oval race, gonna teach you about drafting in packs...nope that isn't rendered. Bump drafting? Nope, that isn't modeled either. The AI just drives a pre determined speed to at certain positions on the track on certain laps. In the exact same car, I came out of a corner bumper to bumper, took the corner clean like any other lap, and the car just pulls away from me on the straight like it has boost mode on, even though I am in the draft. Bull shit rubber band AI. Oval and dirt racing are a joke in this game. They don't model or teach you the most important things in each type of racing. Speedway oval? A pack of cars is always always always going to be faster than one by itself. Yet the 1st place car gets a magical ghost toe and the pack never catches up. The only way I made it to first briefly is not taking new tires during the 1 pit stop. But then the AI mega boosts up to you and you can weave around blocking them, but the two times I have done it, they eventually pass me or spin me out. Fuck the AI in this game.

Drafting is definitely modeled. Try doing the mission without drafting.

Drafting is definitely modeled. Try doing the mission without drafting.

They do not render pack drafting. Where a car close enough behind makes both the front and rear car go faster. It is how you can bridge gaps from pack to pack. Every nascar fan knows this basic principle after watching one race. In the oval endurance race, 3rd and fourth are programmed to be 3rd and 4th so you can’t use them to gain ground on 1st. They slow in front of you but mega draft when behind you. It is all just terrible AI cheating to give the illusion of a close finish for the challenge when it should be a piece of cake for a Wrx and a corvette drafting together to catch one lone wrx with no drafting partner.

terrible

Banned
Whew lad, just got Gold in all the Driving School challenges. The rally courses are a pain in the ass. Beat the Gold time for the very last event by like .3 seconds.

Very worth playing all Driving Test challenges.

It feels like you're on ice on the rally tracks. It was a nightmare with a wheel, I ended up switching to a controller to get gold on those. Complete opposite on the regular tracks with it being dramatically easier with a wheel. I won't say it wasn't fun but the physics feel way off on dirt.

It feels like you're on ice on the rally tracks. It was a nightmare with a wheel, I ended up switching to a controller to get gold on those. Complete opposite on the regular tracks with it being dramatically easier with a wheel. I won't say it wasn't fun but the physics feel way off on dirt.

I absolutely hated rally until I just tried it in VR. Was flying sound the course sideways (and it was quite the workout).

I can't explain why it's so much better. Reminded me of Dirt.

onanie

They do not render pack drafting. Where a car close enough behind makes both the front and rear car go faster. It is how you can bridge gaps from pack to pack. Every nascar fan knows this basic principle after watching one race. In the oval endurance a race, 3rd and fourth are programmed to be 3rd and 4th so you can’t use them to gain ground on 1st. They slow in front of you but mega draft when behind you. It is all just terrible AI cheating to give the illusion of a close finish for the challenge when it should be a piece of for a Wrx and a corvette drafting together to catch one love Wrx.

Oh you mean the AI doesn't engage in bump drafting. I have not tried it intentionally, but I think the physics works.

You'll have to be in contact with the front car for it to work. Outside of nascar racing, I think this is frowned upon.

farisr

Whew lad, just got Gold in all the Driving School challenges. The rally courses are a pain in the ass. Beat the Gold time for the very last event by like .3 seconds.
The rally stuff being part of the challenges/missions pretty much set it in stone that I would not be going for all gold in everything when I get this game.

Have never liked rally in GT games and was thankful that it had been kept off to the side before (its own license and events). Unfortunately not anymore.

Finally drop into the game tonight to run some circuit experience and boom, maintenance. And everything grays out.

Lovely.

So will the game automatically reconnect when the servers come back, or do I have to just guess and manually retry until it works?

Yay, finishd the second set of challenges, and when I should be winning a car, I got 4 network error messages and now it’s just a black screen but the music is still playing. I hate this so much.

onanie

I absolutely hated rally until I just tried it in VR. Was flying sound the course sideways (and it was quite the workout).

I think it's better in VR because you can actually see in the same direction as the sideways momentum of your drifting car.

wrongway

Finally drop into the game tonight to run some circuit experience and boom, maintenance. And everything grays out.

Oh, it's maintenance? Well... I guess if it's deliberate, it's less frustrating. Sort of. Not really.

That all-Civic Brands Hatch race is pretty silly, I wanted to try it again. It's like trying to drive Fred Flintstone's car.

farisr

Lovely.
Yay, finishd the second set of challenges, and when I should be winning a car, I got 4 network error messages and now it’s just a black screen but the music is still playing. I hate this so much.
The joys of always online saving. Really hope they patch this out soon for you guys who are playing right now. I know I won't be buying the game when the time comes if this hasn't changed.

ghibli99

I see that there's a service outage bulletin on the website, but no information on when it's coming back (or a time for when it actually occurred).

Edit: This is insane that you are pretty much dead in the water. Can't even mess with Scapes? WTF.

I guess it does auto-retry to connect, because just as I started loading up an Arcade time trial I got another pop up telling me about maintenance and the failure to save.

WoolyNinja

Yep this can’t happen. Terrible to schedule maintenance for a game at launch but hopefully this’ll fix some of the server issues people have been experiencing

czk51

finally got home from work, looking forward to a jam, just about to post some times then I get server message + black screen.

I feel for anyone in a longer lap / race or challenge - I was only doing select corners through the track experience mode.

onanie

The joys of always online saving. Really hope they patch this out soon for you guys who are playing right now. I know I won't be buying the game when the time comes if this hasn't changed.

I think it's for assuring integrity for FIA purposes. I didn't think you're ever buying the game anyway.

This is embarrassing. I can’t even access my full garage during maintenance. I wanted to try out my new McLaren Ultimate Vision GT in VR and boom it’s gone thanks to server maintenance. They need to sort this out, having maintenance during the launch of a game looks bad. Having basic offline functionality like your gagarage locked behind servers is bullshit.

Edit: 😅 Never mind, it must have been a glitch, my garage is back now lol.

terrible

Banned

I'm not surprised. I have a Rift on PC and all my sims are way more fun in VR than on a screen. I wish I could play this game in VR too but I don't have a PSVR.

Does the real civic type R really handle so badly and have such a lot of suspension softness? I can't believe it.

Getting on the gas immediately generates understeer, pretty much, and it sways like a boat fore and aft, throttle vs brake.

If you are a little too fast entering a corner: toast because braking adds a lot of understeer. If you are a tad fast at an apex using any throttle at all will throw you off track as well.

Real Civic type R is praised for having minimal torque steer, adjustability, and a track oriented suspension. But the GT:S version is a terrible advert.

the_big_country

Neo Member
Just give me a Kart racing series in sport mode and I'll be satisfied. The game feels damn good to play, but it's definitely lacking content.

I adored the kart daily in the beta. Extremely unforgiving, but you can also catch back up quickly.

Got my DR/SR to B/B. Because I'm not a huge fan of the races on tap, I don't feel like jeopardizing that for the rest of the week. The Civic is a challenge to drive, and I don't like the first and last turns on Brands. Suzuka East is too small for the Gr.4 cars, and I refuse to touch the short oval with Gr.3 cars.

ghibli99

Does the real civic type R really handle so badly and have such a lot of suspension softness? I can't believe it.

Getting on the gas immediately generates understeer, pretty much, and it sways like a boat fore and aft, throttle vs brake.

If you are a little too fast entering a corner: toast because braking adds a lot of understeer. If you are a tad fast at an apex using any throttle at all will throw you off track as well.

Real Civic type R is praised for having minimal torque steer, adjustability, and a track oriented suspension. But the GT:S version is a terrible advert.
I'm no expert, but no CTR in any other game has handled like this. They're generally among the first production cars I choose in games because they are so fun and their response and steering are so razor-sharp, but this is just weird. The understeer is nuts!

Mush

I don't think I have ever gone from full-bore hype to not wanting to touch the game in the space of 48 hours, but hey, here we are.

onanie

Can you adjust the suspension in the civic?

Crayon

I'm no expert, but no CTR in any other game has handled like this. They're generally among the first production cars I choose in games because they are so fun and their response and steering are so razor-sharp, but this is just weird. The understeer is nuts!

I loved the ctr in the demo. That was my go-to in the n300. Showed those subes.

cakely

Thanks. Well there goes my progress then.

This really is the Dark Souls of racing.

Have to laugh because I was listening to this week's Bombcast while running a time trial offline when I reached the part where they started talking GT Sport. And how Jeff sat down ready to play only to have the servers go down.

Yup.

If you can make it back to your bloodstain without dying you can get your credits back.

Top Bottom