• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

kanuuna

I just closed the game as I could not reconnect. After starting it up again I could. Not exactly reassuring I needed to boot the game up again to get a connection.

Tried this just now myself - connected straight away.
Looks like they didn’t register my gold time for the last event though. I got disconnected after I completed 50% of the driving school.

Drackhorn

Tried this just now myself - connected straight away.
Looks like they didn’t register my gold time for the last event though. I got disconnected after I completed 50% of the driving school.

That sucks big time. Let's hope they can iron these problems out. They simply need to. I see their philosophy for storing online content online but really, there is so much that can just as well be saved locally. They should make it a priority.

Ammogeddon

Can someone tell me what decals I got in the deluxe livery pack?

It's says its downloaded but I can't distinguish which ones they are.

Random server issues aside, I'm in love with the general presentation of the game.

I hope they really do a DriveClub and make it a fantastic platform for developing ideas and adding content. DriveClub started off as a pariah of the PS4 launch and probably became one of the easiest recommendations on the console for a long, long time.

I think GT Sport will do the same, a focus on content and building on what they have. The driving is basically perfect.

Thats a good way to lose SR

Thankfully that's not in effect in some of the challenges because I certainly had to use dirty tactics to keep from having some AI overtake me. Most notably squeezing an AI driver into a wall on a final lap when it tried to overtake me.

Isn't that true in real life as well?

Yeah, it's not unrealistic or anything, but it's one of those things you now is coming if you're in a tight race on that course. So you've got to hope anyone the passes you ends up messing up on one of the final corners so you can overtake them.

Wow you really feel the sun in your face and eyes in VR, actually seems blinding at times which is cool.

Doesn’t make me feel as sick as Driveclub and Dirt Rally have either.

Currently it’s not possible to make a system that can assign blame reliably.

Comparison of speed? What if the car in front brake-checks you and you ram into him? It’s his fault, you were faster, you were behind.

I'm not a racing rules expert, but in that situation I'd say the person behind is at fault. They were following too close to be able to react, either by applying brakes or moving out of the way. There are corner cases, like a drafting situation, but the game could take other factors into consideration to assign blame, such as each driver's SR and penalty performance in the race.

Optimally we should have been able to contest penalties that result in a downrank, where a real person would review the situation. But like most things in Sport mode outside of the racing itself, it's really barebones right now. There will always be some cases where the computer gets it wrong, but I think there's definitely room for the algorithms to improve.

YES! I did it! First in Brand Hatch! Climbed my way up from place 3 and had nearly 4 seconds lead at the end. I drove home a perfect race :)

Also got SR B now, DR still D though :/

Man, I knew the livery editor seemed too good to be true, but deep down I knew PD would fuck it up some how. Unless a sport race is garage cars, you cannot equip your livery to the car you chose, even if you own it. So lame. So now the majority of sport races will just be countless clones of whatever car is the fastest if the setting is competition cars and not garage cars. Way to completely negate the fun of a livery editor PD. At least with the M4 meta we got to use our own livery and make the pack of cars look more interesting and realistic.

plidex

I'm not a racing rules expert, but in that situation I'd say the person behind is at fault. They were following too close to be able to react, either by applying brakes or moving out of the way. There are corner cases, like a drafting situation, but the game could take other factors into consideration to assign blame, such as each driver's SR and penalty performance in the race.

Optimally we should have been able to contest penalties that result in a downrank, where a real person would review the situation. But like most things in Sport mode outside of the racing itself, it's really barebones right now. There will always be some cases where the computer gets it wrong, but I think there's definitely room for the algorithms to improve.

It’s not always possible to brake enough if the guy in front is braking way more than you are expecting. If you are always gonna leave that much room it’s pretty hard to overtake.

With the amount of people playing GTS they would need a huge team to review incidents.

Apeboy

Currently it’s not possible to make a system that can assign blame reliably.

Comparison of speed? What if the car in front brake-checks you and you ram into him? It’s his fault, you were faster, you were behind

Brake check would have a small speed difference at contact but I should have been more clear. Speed checks in braking “zones”. Say where the games gives you the brake indicator.

Anyways, I’ve decided to just work on SR until I get into clean racing.

Wallach

Yeah, it's not unrealistic or anything, but it's one of those things you now is coming if you're in a tight race on that course. So you've got to hope anyone the passes you ends up messing up on one of the final corners so you can overtake them.

It also depends on the straight. Like the straight at the end of Nordschleife (Dottinger Hohe) is long enough that one thing you can try to do is let someone that close to you overtake you too soon, early in the straight. If they bite instead of matching pace to overtake you in towards the end of the straight, you can immediately take their slip and you will be able to overtake them again just before you get into Antoniusbuche (assuming your car has it anyway). If they're that close to you for much of the lap (like the guy was in that replay) they will often be eager to try and overtake you and will jump on it as soon as they get on the straight, but it's too long. Experienced drivers will bait you on that straight for that reason, especially on the last lap; don't try and overtake on that straight until you can keep the position into the Antoniusbuche where you'll be able to block them for the rest of the lap easily. I've fallen for it before and felt super dumb.

Man, I new the livery editor seemed too good to be true, but deep down I knew PD would fuck it up some how. Unless a sport race is garage cars, you cannot equip your livery to the car you chose, even if you own it. So lame. So now the majority of sport races will just be countless clones of whatever car is the fastest if the setting is competition cars and not garage cars. Way to completely negate the fun of a livery editor PD. At least with the M4 meta we got to use our own livery and make the pack of cars look more interesting and realistic.

It's not always possible to brake enough if the guy in front is braking way more than you are expecting. If you are always gonna leave that much room it's pretty hard to overtake.

With the amount of people playing GTS they would need a huge team to review incidents.

True, but better to slide off the track than ram into the person. Regarding the reviews, that's why I limited it to downranks. I envisioned a UI where an after-race screen shows you all incidents where you got a penalty, and lets you contest any that result in a letter downrank. There'd still be a support cost, but if PD wants this to be a serious platform for clean competitive racing they can't just depend on the SR.

Sidenote, I see a lot of people probably unintentionally using "guy" and "him" to describe players in GTS; I hope there are women playing. But I noticed that there's no female model available to represent them. Also one of the trophies is "Pylon King". Kind of disappointing after Driveclub's avatar choices to have GTS assume everyone playing is male.

Certinty

Got all golds in circuit experience.

I mean the game may severely lack in content but I honestly had more fun in that mode alone than I have with FM7 and PC2.

Gameplay is just so damn good that I'm so glad I picked this up. When we get a proper GT game with this gameplay it will be truly amazing.

Rajang

Yep, my time is lost forever.

mHM3DMk.gif

mojo2

Neo Member
I just put my PS4 in hibernation, rest mode, what is it in english. Then later start it up and it connects to server and saves effortlessly. Did this tonight for the third time, got a bit worried about my gold times tbh.

I had a situation in a race before that would be really hard for a system to tell who was at fault and would need to be really advanced to calculate it properly because it can either be the person in front or the person behind at fault.

I had watched the person in front for two laps to see where they were slow and could be overtaken safely and it was getting the late apex on graham hill as they would go early and go too wide and I'd take the inside line down cooper straight giving me the dominant position into surtees. It worked and good enough that I would have got two in front from that one move, when going down cooper straight they noticed and swerved as fast as they could across to block me, I was going much faster and even though I slammed on my break I still hit the back. Standard racing rules the person trying to block is at fault especially as they didn't need to be that aggressive to stop me either but I got a down arrow it is likely they also did. In another situation the person going too fast could be at fault for being up their arse.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Currently it's not possible to make a system that can assign blame reliably.

Wouldn't say impossible, just will take some work. Don't think you can ever be perfect, but they can work on a more intricate system as long as they are collecting detailed race data. Because the processing of the data will be so resource hungry, they could offload that to a queue on a dedicated server. So you may get initial results as you do now, but then a few minutes later you get the confirmed/final results once the queue is processed server side.

In cases where the system sees ambiguity it cannot deal with, the workflow could introduce some human moderation, as someone mentioned iRacing does.

EDIT: It's too bad the race data is not published openly; I bet people would go crazy mining that data and create all sorts of apps around it.

Thankfully that's not in effect in some of the challenges because I certainly had to use dirty tactics to keep from having some AI overtake me.

I don't think SR is ever affected in challenges or anything that is not Sports Mode (unless I haven't seen something yet--I'm admittedly behind on the challenges).

ghibli99

OK, tried to get an online race going. Can someone explain to me why races are on these strict schedules? Not only do I have to kill time qualifying (or hopefully remember to come back right before a race), then I have to sit there waiting for matchmaking to happen, which takes a long time too. Shouldn't that just be going on in the background so that it's a rather seamless transition into the actual race? Then warm-ups! LOL As polished as everything else feels, this just seems... pretentiously bad. If this is kinda what the online is like, I somehow don't think I'm going to spend much time in it. It doesn't seem to value my time at all. Sounds knee-jerk, but that's my first impression. Hopefully that changes.

That won't ever happen because G25/G27 are not supported on PS4 without G29 emulation via GIMX or CronusMax. The only wheel not present on the menus that is "promised" to get full support asap is the Fanatec PS4 CSL Elite wheel.

playing with my G27 right now. Feels good man. GIMX!!

OK, tried to get an online race going. Can someone explain to me why races are on these strict schedules? Not only do I have to kill time qualifying (or hopefully remember to come back right before a race), then I have to sit there waiting for matchmaking to happen, which takes a long time too. Shouldn't that just be going on in the background so that it's a rather seamless transition into the actual race? Then warm-ups! LOL As polished as everything else feels, this just seems... pretentiously bad. If this is kinda what the online is like, I somehow don't think I'm going to spend much time in it. It doesn't seem to value my time at all. Sounds knee-jerk, but that's my first impression. Hopefully that changes.

That's sport mode and everything you complained about is what makes it awesome.

Make an online room to do whatever you want. Two options to the right I believe.

ghibli99

That's sport mode and everything you complained about is what makes it awesome.

Make an online room to do whatever you want. Two options to the right I believe.
Having to schedule my playing time around a real-world clock is going to take some getting used to. Welcome to online gaming, I guess.

Strider

Maybe I'm a huge minority here but with the sport mode races going just 3-5 laps I don't really see the point in having 20+ people in each race....

The odds of anyone starting 10+ even having a chance at winning is extremely low and less racers on the track would lead to less frustration with the SR system I'd think... Given that it'd be easier to avoid other cars.

Idk just a thought... 12 would seem like a better number to me.

These things happen because they're required for the best experience. They're what makes the online racing in Sport work so well, with big grids, close racing, and no lagging/teleporting.

Having to schedule my playing time around a real-world clock is going to take some getting used to. Welcome to online gaming, I guess.

Sport mode is like league racing.

Regular online play, like everything else is the other mode.

Maybe I'm a huge minority here but with the sport mode races going just 3-5 laps I don't really see the point in having 20+ people in each race....

So true. I'm guessing they're building up to that.

Imagine first day causals being expected to race 25 lap 40 minute race with pitting lol.

I've never understood this broadcast TV kind of thinking when applied to current tech. Isn't it easier on the back end infrastructure to stagger players (and resources) with on-demand matchmaking rather than have scheduled events that bring up spikes in player count?

Seems like the kind of thing you institute if you've got a very low concurrent player count problem.

I've never understood this broadcast TV kind of thinking when applied to current tech. Isn't it easier on the back end infrastructure to stagger players (and resources) with on-demand matchmaking rather than have scheduled events that bring up spikes in player count?

Seems like the kind of thing you institute if you're got a very low concurrent player count problem.

But I think they do have a concurrent player count problem. After they changed the race timing to every 5 minutes last night, I noticed my races weren't even a full field, more like 20 drivers. Also way more lower rankings...I have a C in SR and half the field was D, which is I think unfair to subject people trying to drive clean to.

Maybe this will change after more people finish the SP content and jump online, but I was just surprised for day 2 of a GT game to be in races that weren't completely full.

But I think they do have a concurrent player count problem. After they changed the race timing to every 5 minutes last night, I noticed my races weren't even a full field, more like 20 drivers. Also way more lower rankings...I have a C in SR and half the field was D, which is I think unfair to subject people trying to drive clean to.

Maybe this will change after more people finish the SP content and jump online, but I was just surprised for day 2 of a GT game to be in races that weren't completely full.

I was in a party with 5 friends last night of varying skill levels and we always ended up in different rooms with 20+ people when we did sport races.

Don't think player count in an issue lol.

ghibli99

Sport mode is like league racing.

Regular online play, like everything else is the other mode.
I'm curious about those championships/cups or whatever... don't they have like a 5-hour window or something? If you can't make it for that time or day, guess you're shit outta luck. This just seems extremely limiting.

It's like, yeah, I GET IT, but wouldn't it have been simple to put all of this stuff in campaign as well? Maybe they are (I haven't dug too deep into this), but it seems weird to me. Anyway, gonna spend more time with it over the coming days, see if my feelings on the matter change.

My internet is pretty bad with 12 Mb/s download speed and moderate ping, which sometimes disconnects every few hours for a few minutes. Does anyone else have this level of connection? What's your experience with GTS like so far online?

I haven't played online yet but that's how real races are structured. You do qualifying and warm-ups first, and then race. Or am I misunderstanding something?

I was in a party with 5 friends last night of varying skill levels and we always ended up in different rooms with 20+ people when we did sport races.

Don't think player count in an issue lol.

Well then maybe people are shying away from the Sport races in favor of the Lobby stuff. Otherwise every Sport race should have a full field of 24 drivers, all at the same SR rank as you.

Well then maybe people are shying away from the Sport races in favor of the Lobby stuff. Otherwise every Sport race should have a full field of 24 drivers, all at the same SR rank as you.

In the 4 or 5 races I have played it was only missing one or two players at most. I put that down to people losing connection though. There's a lot of shitty connections out there.

spwolf

thats because people quit in warmup... and you end up with less than 24... i noticed last race we started at 24 in warmup, but only 20 started the race.. and maybe 16 finished.

There are speed ratings too.

We had drivers with the same SR in different races because of their DR, even when they had slightly (a second or two) faster times.

I don't think it's as simple as you think.

Also people quit on warmup etc

SilentRob

This is truly one of the most baffling video games I have ever played. It seems like a launch title for a next-gen console with its utter lack of cars, tracks and single player content. The Tutorials are a ridiculous hassle (if you want me to learn 6 times how to press the break on the same track over and over again, don't make me go back to a menu and wait for a loading time between every single one), the challenges are way too short, the few tracks there are are locked behind arbritrary level gates, online structure forces me to drive around a Nascar track if i want to race in the next 20 minutes because the Lobbies tend to be largely empty...what is this game? What did they work on for four years? How can anyone look at this, compare it to Project Cars 2 or Forza 7 and go "Yeah, that's a great value for my money?" I just don't understand the thought process behind this game.

You know, a friend of mine won that Gran Turismo Racing thingy a few years back and has been a driver in the ADAC GT Masters for some time now. He is as hardcore as you get. I know that this game is supposed to be for him, but guess what: People on that level would probably rather go for something like rfactor or Live for Speed for something truly lifelike. And they never needed a structure like this. These people have online leagues and leaderbords and planned events. They don't need a game's infrastructure to revolve around them, ignoring anyone who'd just like to drive in their driving game. I don't get this game. I love racing, I love simulatiom racing games but as a full-priced product, this is nothing short of baffling.

Oh, and also: If you build in systems like SR, don't make 24 cars race on a tiny oval. That's just silly.

ghibli99

Tried lobbies... they seem empty, but maybe it's the wrong time of day. Took quite a while for one race to build up to 7 opponents.

Heading into a daily race @ Brands Hatch Indy... starts in 6 minutes.

There are speed ratings too.

We had drivers with the same SR in different races because of their DR, even when they had slightly (a second or two) faster times.

I don't think it's as simple as you think.

Also people quit on warmup etc

Maybe I just don't understand how they're matching people. In my mind, SR should be god for matching. I try very hard to race cleanly and I want to race with people who share that desire. So I feel like that's a much more important match criteria than how fast someone is. DR should be a secondary criteria. When half the field in my races are people in a lower SR ranking, that really sours the experience.

I'm enjoying this so much. And that's just the offline stuff so far. Really loving the endurance races that require you to work on a pit stop strategy.

Presentation is a homerun. Menus are beautiful and without any distracting loading times.

This is a huge step up from GT5 for me (I skipped 6).

I really hope we will see online endurance races and themed stuff in the coming months, e.g. tournaments with unique car rewards and that kind of stuff.

Seems like the kind of thing you institute if you've got a very low concurrent player count problem.
GTAO is one of the most successful games of all time, but you can't get anyone into a lobby to actually get most game types going because they rely solely on the sort of instantaneous matchmaking you're talking about.

In terms of concurrent players, you need to consider the race itself, regional player count, and then the DR/SR ratings. Across 24 hours. Suddenly even with big concurrent player numbers, your available pool for each race is limited, and if you go instantaneous matchmaking then you need to be able to fill a lobby almost immediately or people will bitch and moan that nobody is playing and the game is dead.

The GTS method is the way to go, it brings the playerbase together and helps everybody do what they actually want to do. As a GTAO player, trust me: this is the way it should be done.

I'm assuming the 5 minute thing will only be during this launch window, and then it will probably go back to 20 minutes, which is fine if you're doing every race (15 minutes to race, then 5 minutes to qualify for the next one which is about to start).

My internet is pretty bad with 12 Mb/s download speed and moderate ping, which sometimes disconnects every few hours for a few minutes. Does anyone else have this level of connection? What's your experience with GTS like so far online?

My internet is much worse than you and Sports Mode is pretty good.

Top Bottom