• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

A single oval race dropped me from SR B to C.

8DFkfVt.gif

DavidDesu

I guess they will be doing lot of tweaks over the next few weeks to narrow things down further. Makes sense.

Hope it’s five minutes when I try tonight. I was annoyed last night I had five minutes left to enter the Suzuka race so I thought I’d have a lap or two qualifying and I kept on going. I assumed the game would at least notify of the race time about to start and let me choose to join one but it let me drive on. Missed the race entry and had to wait and gave up. This stuff should be rapid fire....

Yeah I'm okay as long as I'm not in first gear lol

I just can't get the balance right, I'm either hitting the limiter and its just wheelspinning, I shift up and get bogged down in second or I'm hanging around 5/6k rpm and can't get any decent traftion off the start either. I'll keep practicing using the first licenses in the Mazda but not sure I'll get the hang of it.

It's similar to real life. In my FR-S (86), if you were to turn the trac off and do a drop clutch launch at 7k rpm, you'd go nowhere (but to the tire shop).

Each car will have a different launch point, and the Miata and 86 are the best cars to start with due to being RWD.

(you could also cheat - use TCS 1 or 2 to launch, and once you're off the line set it down to 0)

l2ounD

While playing the demo I could not find the option to turn on a braking line. GT Sport full release have this feature? I've tried searching for an answer to this.

Thanks in advance!

Im not sure of the line but they have a cone option. It gives you a good reference point of where to brake and where the turn in points are

bosh

Thought I'd share this facebook post from Marco Massarutto, Kunos Simulazioni (Assetto Corsa) co-founder, from a couple of days ago:

Pretty much literal translation, sorry if poor:

Great post. Regardless of what racing game you play today, he helped build the genre and paved the way for many others.

I guess they will be doing lot of tweaks over the next few weeks to narrow things down further. Makes sense.

Kind of figured this was the point of doing a closed and open beta.... I could have told you in the first 15 seconds of playing the closed beta, that having three ~15 minute races available once per hour is not the way to go.

ghibli99

I simply can't get over the premium feel of this thing. I've just been sitting through the attract sequences and replays for the last 20 minutes with my mouth agape... and this is after having already put several hours into the game.

Shaneus

Thought I'd share this facebook post from Marco Massarutto, Kunos Simulazioni (Assetto Corsa) co-founder, from a couple of days ago:

Pretty much literal translation, sorry if poor:
Thanks for sharing. People seem to lose trust in the guy at the helm of GT, I'm more than willing to put faith in people who have a genuine passion and skill for motorsport when something unique is done in the racing game genre.

Big respect for everyone behind both GT *and* Assetto Corsa.

Rey

Yea, Northern isle is shit for SR, no matter how careful you are that circuit will give you a red SR.

Yeah I wonder how long its going to take before I don’t give a fuck about the SR rating anymore. If it takes this much effort to rank up and a single race to drop, then probably not long.

cooldawn

Pro Tip (or not if it seems obvious): Turn Traction Control to '0' for rally events. It's still not perfect but at least your tyres will dig in to the dirt when the accelerator is applied, rather than being mediated.

It's quicker...by lots.

Man those last 3 mission challenges sure are TOUGH.

zero room for error.

Are they worse than the shit sack Fisherman's Village one before them? The worst was I was passing the last two cars right before the finish line. One car just pushes me into the barrier for no god damn reason on the straight away, -2 seconds, finish with 9 seconds left when gold was finish with 10 or more. I rather drive a Diahatsu around the Nordscliefe stuck in 1st gear than drive another second of rally in GTS.

I have the last three of 8 to do tonight, then just circuit challenges which are easy and them I am done with campaign.

ElNino

Only for those who have PS+

(I know, GTS without PS+ doesn't make much sense, but....)
I guess that would impact those who use PS+ as a sub/family account. ie. my son's account doesn't upload since it's my account who has PS+ so his profile/saves are only local.

Yeah I wonder how long its going to take before I don’t give a fuck about the SR rating anymore. If it takes this much effort to rank up and a single race to drop, then probably not long.

Not knowing how long you have played for it seems the first few races penalise you harsher than once you have been playing for a while, I was A when I started and got dropped down to C in two races and there was very little impact in either of them (took about 4 races to get up to B). I have had races since where there have been harder touches and still got a blue rating at the end. Closed circuits should be avoided at all costs if you care about your SR.

Niks

Are they worse than the shit sack Fisherman's Village one before them? The worst was I was passing the last two cars right before the finish line. One car just pushes me into the barrier for no god damn reason on the straight away, -2 seconds, finish with 9 seconds left when gold was finish with 10 or more. I rather drive a Diahatsu around the Nordscliefe stuck in 1st gear than drive another second of rally in GTS.

I have the last three of 8 to do tonight, then just circuit challenges which are easy and them I am done with campaign.

Yeah, they are endurance races.

Got silver on the oval and Interlagos races. Shit is tough.
Haven't tried the last one, but I expect the same.

Not knowing how long you have played for it seems the first few races penalise you harsher than once you have been playing for a while, I was A when I started and got dropped down to C in two races and there was very little impact in either of them (took about 4 races to get up to B). I have had races since where there have been harder touches and still got a blue rating at the end. Closed circuits should be avoided at all costs if you care about your SR.

Honestly in a year or two nobdy will give a shit.

There will be enough info to generate an acurrate driver rating and one or two bad races won't be enough to change it.

Just race people.

Why do you get docked SR if an opponent rams you from behind or checks you from the side?

Do you brake like a grandma and hog the road?

IISANDERII

Hope it’s five minutes when I try tonight. I was annoyed last night I had five minutes left to enter the Suzuka race so I thought I’d have a lap or two qualifying and I kept on going. I assumed the game would at least notify of the race time about to start and let me choose to join one but it let me drive on. Missed the race entry and had to wait and gave up. This stuff should be rapid fire....
You can enter the event and put in qualifying laps from there. So when the time's up, you'll automatically be put in the race.

Why do you get docked SR if an opponent rams you from behind or checks you from the side?
Because seemingly nobody has managed to make a truly algorithmic way to determine fault that always works or that can't be easily exploited and griefed. Not to say they can't refine it over time as they analyze data.

Yeah, they are endurance races.

Got silver on the oval and Interlagos races. Shit is tough.
Haven't tried the last one, but I expect the same.

Hm, I wonder if pit/tire/fuel strategy will be key. Typically if you drive clean, you will always be faster than the AI. I know you are quick too cause you are always toward the top of friends list.

kanuuna

Everything still down for fellow EU folk? How do I know it’s safe to leave?

Also, I don’t know if it’s a server issue or if the CE digital content wasn’t as advertised, but I’m not seeing any of the safety cars promised in that package in my garage when in the Arcade mode

Angst

Also, I don’t know if it’s a server issue or if the CE digital content wasn’t as advertised, but I’m not seeing any of the safety cars promised in that package in my garage when in the Arcade mode
I'm online

Drackhorn

Still down at my end.

0racle

I should not have listened to the giant bombcast.

I am sitting here looking at my sealed copy of the limited edition, debating returning it.

I know the honey moon period is strong still. Anyone care to chime in?

I am sitting here looking at my sealed copy of the limited edition, debating returning it.

Just play the damn game and make up your own mind. Don't like it go trade it in whilst you can get your money back.

hamchan

So if your SR gets dinged thanks to the speedway track, can you just do another race while staying in last place to guarantee you have a clean race and bring your SR back up that way?

jayu26

No body can tell you that. If you like the game then you are going to be irked towards people saying no. If you don't like the game you will think people saying yes lied to you and you wasted your money.

Open it and pop it in your PS4.

Drackhorn

Not very reassuring.
I just wish I could feel safe about shutting the game. Or continue playing it.

I just closed the game as I could not reconnect. After starting it up again I could. Not exactly reassuring I needed to boot the game up again to get a connection.

Onemic

Honestly in a year or two nobdy will give a shit.

There will be enough info to generate an acurrate driver rating and one or two bad races won't be enough to change it.

Just race people.

Do you brake like a grandma and hog the road?

No, Ive had people aggressively check me from the side and I got docked SR

Foxxsoxx

I don't play racing games, especially not any GT game and I found a lot of enjoyment out of this.

I woke up at 4 this morning after not being able to sleep and put in 6 hours of driving and I had a blast learning the basics, tracks, and online races were super fun.

That's just me though. I don't have a well of experience to draw from. The biggest thing I like is the presentation though, it's just so classy but fun.

cakely

I'm really not here to sell anyone on a game. You've read the impressions and the reviews, if you're still on the fence, return it.

As promised, the YT video of last night's cracking race @ Nordschliefe!

https://youtu.be/XMQZYBHeU2k

That was really nice. A perfect draft at the end for the win!

plidex

You’d think a speed check in the braking zone or a comparison of speeds between the two cars wouldn’t be that difficult. It’s super annoying but I guess it’s something that we have the live with.

Currently it’s not possible to make a system that can assign blame reliably.

Comparison of speed? What if the car in front brake-checks you and you ram into him? It’s his fault, you were faster, you were behind.

There are situations were it is obvious, but there are a lot of situations were it’s a gray area.

The important thing is that good drivers will always have cleaner races in the long run, and people who always crash on the first corner will never have a good Rating.

The solution in iRacing for intentional crashing is that it can get you banned, there is a real person that goes through every incident that gets reported and determines wether it was intentional or just a racing incident.

Top Bottom